To the non-slicing crafters...meet the law of unintended consequences.

Conundrum-NSA

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You claim that Slicing was overpowered and made more money than everything else. Now that may be true or not true.

But here is something to think about. Guess where a lot of that money was being spent...

That's right, on the Auction House buying YOUR stuff. I've got a feeling a lot of slicers just turned into Ebenezer Scrooge.

Good luck selling your stuff.

Because each server had 2 non slicing crafters (one on each faction) and 1598 slicing crafters.

Or simply put a cap on how many Companions you can send out on Slicing Missions at one time or have only a maximum of 2 Lockbox Missions available at any given time.

I have Slicing/Scavenging/Cybertech. I needed Slicing to buy the extremely rare and expensive Underworld Trading materials to level Cybertech. I might as well give up Cybertech and just take Underworld Trading and sell the mats on the GTN.

Or simply put a cap on how many Companions you can send out on Slicing Missions at one time or have only a maximum of 2 Lockbox Missions available at any given time.

I have Slicing/Scavenging/Cybertech. I needed Slicing to buy the extremely rare and expensive Underworld Trading materials to level Cybertech. I might as well give up Cybertech and just take Underworld Trading and sell the mats on the GTN.

Or rather then putting the money towards slicing missions you could drop slicing, get underworld trading, and instead put the money towards getting the materials for cybertech.

Edit: Oh, and sell the extra materials from underworld trading for profit.

Win-Win-Win.

Edited by ShenLong

Zomg, slicers maek no moneyz can't buy mah synthweaving stuff on the market.

Please, if you expect crafters to cry because purchases are slow, then you are incredibly misguided. I'd rather it take days to sell a dozen items then credits become absolutely worthless because too much of them are floating around. Yeah, maybe they did nerf slicer too much. Doesn't change the fact that it absolutely 100% Needed a nerf.

Anybody saying otherwise just didn't want to work hard to acquire money.

YEEEESSSS...let your hate flooow through you...gooood :hope_08:

Frankly, the idea of a profession whose only purpose is to directly produce credits is so bass-ackward I'm astounded it made it into release. Inflation is the worst problem in MMO economies, so it's kind of mind-numbing that BioWare figured what the game needed was a cash SOURCE. The game needs cash SINKS. It needs people poor and desperate enough that they can't easily get everything they want, so they have goals to aim for and a reason to engage in trade in the first place.

Slicing should have been a way to get schematics and clickable quests -- treasure maps, in essence, leading to an instance or the like which was not otherwise accessible -- and never produce raw cash. None of the other professions just give you coin; it was an idiotic idea to make slicing do so, period.

They'd have been better off implementing gambling at the cantinas. Seriously.

I never had slicing on any of my hars.

1) I have bought about 100k worth of stuff off the AH total, since launch. I blow my money a lot.

2) I bought my speeder and licence at 25 easily with 10k cash left over without slicing.

3) I PvP and most of my cash comes from that and then running through the questlines and grinding for about 30 minutes.

I can reliably crank out 40k in half an hour of grinding and PvP.

I think the skill should offer something in return to offset the credit loss -- something nifty like rare schematics or what not. But to suggest "OMG the economy is fail" because slicing is no longer overpowered is ridiculous.

I'm not sure what game you are playing, sir or ma'am.

and my jedi knight bought speeder with slicing and skills and had over 120k left over. Yes thats right left over after buying speeder.

I was about to go buy a entire new set of gear for Kira, because I never used her and used T7 but now. Well i'm saving every last cred I have. Ive never been good at making money. I dont play religiously and was liking slicing as a way to make some money without needing to be good at anything. I knew fullwell that if played right every other profession could make more. Thing is I didnt care. This was the easy way to make some cred.

The economy on my jedi's server is non-exsistant. There usually isn't a single crafting mission up, no real schematics no nothing. It's a heavy empire side so no real republic.

There is no economy. This was a way to help get an economy started. Sure it could have used a nerfing but not right now, later maybe. This is a struggling fledgling game, and I don't think you understand that.

I didn't play beta for months on end. I didnt' spend months figuring out what sells and how to make credits. I don't pvp that much because really I hate huttball. And you know what neither did most of those people. Most of them are still figuring out the class differences and what to play.

This game is starting to get a trend for not being M in the MMO. It's not social at all, there is no economy, and there is no sellers or buyers.

I never had slicing on any of my hars.

1) I have bought about 100k worth of stuff off the AH total, since launch. I blow my money a lot.

2) I bought my speeder and licence at 25 easily with 10k cash left over without slicing.

3) I PvP and most of my cash comes from that and then running through the questlines and grinding for about 30 minutes.

I can reliably crank out 40k in half an hour of grinding and PvP.

I think the skill should offer something in return to offset the credit loss -- something nifty like rare schematics or what not. But to suggest "OMG the economy is fail" because slicing is no longer overpowered is ridiculous.

I'm not sure what game you are playing, sir or ma'am.

Not sure what game you're playing - when levelling a warzone gives you about 3-5k credits and give the queues you are likely to only get a couple done in a 30 minute window (especially if you get huttball everytime).

So adding grinding on top of that... that's way more than 30 minutes work.

Unless of course you're talking about max level - but I doubt the slicing nerfs were really aimed at income at max level.

and my jedi knight bought speeder with slicing and skills and had over 120k left over. Yes thats right left over after buying speeder.

If you don't see a problem with this, do yourself a favor.

Stop playing this game.

Use the time saved to go take some courses in economics.

You will thank me for it.

I've tried both ways.

I started with slicing as my 3rd without knowing all the implications (the game said I can accquire blueprints with it) in addition to the normal gatherer and crafting profession (cybertech & salvaging).

It was going easy cheesy, sending my companion mostly on slicing missions to keep it on par with salvaging which leveled itself from the junk I found lying around. Salavaged material then processed into crafted stuff which I somewhat used but mostly reverse engineered to get more mats for powerleveling.

This yielded me some blue blueprints which required underworld training mats. Not haveing found any good blueprints with slicing and not beeing able to get the materials from the galactic market (on the most populated european server -.-) I decided to quit it and train underworld trading. It levelled fast and soon I had the mats I needed for my blue blueprints. I even had enough to reverse engineer and get some purple scematics.

The the cost of the underworld trading missions started to show itself and those are huge! I tried to sell some mats (blue and even purple) on the market but sold exactly nothing.

In the end I did some calculations and found mission skills totally useless. especially since the purple gear I was able to craft thanks to it was outdated and outclassed by better green stuff of higher level before I could even craft a full set (got enough stuff for 2 purple armorings before the current level green armorings were better...).

Beeing totally worthless I deleted underworld trading and went back to slicing.

So yeah slicing was/is the best mission skill simply for the fact that it isnt 100% worthless.

The reason why I dont really care for any nerfs though is that at least 90% of that usefullness come from the fact that you are not sinking any money into it. So if it is nerfed beyond usefullness I'll drop that as well and maybe roll two crafting professions funded by the gathering profession (so much free loot). I might miss the free credits you can pickup from slicing items in the world but meh.

I hope high-end crafting (useing blue and purple mats) will stop beeing useless once I reach endgame but I fear the time and money investment (with ~1hour for a lvl6 mission and a roughly 1/10 chance to drop purple materials) will still not be proportional to the gain.

on the other hand credits are useless after all skills are learned and companions are free so it might work out.

Except Cybertech requires Scavenging Mats as well and Scavenging yields blue and purple quality Cybertech Schematics, so no.

I'm having trouble relating scavenging to slicing.

Not to mention due to the massive amounts of slicers per server even before the nerf, it can't be that hard finding any recipes or materials.

The people complaining there shouldn't have been any professions to make money and how it'll only create inflation don't understand it.

Inflation right now is an improvement. There is 0 economy on most servers. There is no trade no real amount of purchases no nothing.

I'd rather be selling a basic medpack for 10k credits then not being able to sell one at all.

Most servers can't get a damn thing sold. Things get posted on the GTN only to rot and end up in the mail again 2 days later. There is no economy. How can you get that through your mind that this was bad AT THIS POINT IN TIME!

This isn't wow, there is no gold or credits to begin with. Nobody is buying nobody is selling. If people had extra money they'd be more inclined to buy, which spurts and gives life to the people selling.

Slicing was about to water the planet of economics but Bioware just yanked it outta the soil.

Nothing was being done to get an economy started. Slicing was providing the fertilizer and the water and everything to get it started. Bioware now fully expects to throw a seed on the ground and expect a full blown tree next week.

Initial excess money would have created people that had a need to buy, which creates demand. Large demand creates people who will fill the demand with supply. This starts a chain reaction of economy. You could have slowly but surely lowered the slicing gain, but then it's pointless as other professions make the same if not more at that point.

If you don't see a problem with this, do yourself a favor.

Stop playing this game.

Use the time saved to go take some courses in economics.

You will thank me for it.

yeah I had 175k cred at level 25, yeah know what. I was leveling that character over a week long. I don't level fast as I spent alot of time afk somewhere sending both my companions on missions while I did housework. When I did level, I had as many companions as I could afford out on missions. Thats how I ended up with so much. I wasn't really leveling to begin with. I'm not trying to speed my way into 50. I was trying to make money so I could casually enjoy the story but be making enough cred to buy stuff to enjoy things casually.

Well, part of it was in theme with my character but I wanted to have a crafting profession and Scavenging was good for providing the basic materials. Being an SWG vet, I took Slicing because that's what Smugglers do and figured it would pay for UT mats. It's also useful in creating shortcuts in some Heroic and Flashpoint missions.

I wasn't making a whole lot on Slicing, though I only have 2 Companions atm, but it was enough to cover early leveling in Cybertech and land me a few Schematics in the process.

Again, I think the issue only applies to level 50 players who can have 4-5 companions running slicing missions simultaneously.

If it's a nerf within reason, fine. But if the gains don't don't outway or at least on par with the risk, then what's the point?

Edited by Brebo

I was slicer but I nvr noticed anything OP about it. I guess I was doing it wrong before the NERF. The odd 'case' had over 200 credits but it cost like 95-200 to send the companion away on them. But less credits means less spending on AH for sure. Never figured out in any MMO why such a big deal is made of 'the economy' If ppl have money and ppl craft or scavange things will work. If ppl get too skint in game b/c something gets 'nerfed' whether drop rates abs like slicing or w/e then you increase the market for the gold sellers.

My choice, keep it easy for ppl to gain some spare credits. I mean anyone could have opted into slicing it wasnt only a few players that had it and needed it nerfed.

The gold sellers are a blight.

Edited by LeMage

Now, well you can kiss your speeder at 25 good bye. Maybe by 35 you can afford it.

I have no idea how people could possibly be in that situation. I have my second character now at 20, she has 34k creds and it's pretty much all from just running missions and selling non-usable lot to vendors. No GTN sales, and no slicing (I have slicing on my first character). Of course she hasn't purchased any gear for creds, only for commendations, and she hasn't run any crafting missions or bought anything at the GTN. But there isn't going to be any issue with creds for the speeder training at 25.

In most MMOs I have played, the name of the game is saving money for mounts until you get past those money sinks and THEN playing the other money sinks once you are capped and have an income stream from something. Leveling crafting and buying gear has always been the route to the poorhouse while leveling. If you just run missions and sell your loot, and avoid spending money on gear and mods, you will have more than enough for your speeder.

Well, if this is the case, then I guess artifice, archaeology, and treasure hunting is the way to go for me. But only because I can make myself some lightsabers. If people aren't buying things on the AH, or whatever it's called in this game, then the AH is worthless and, therefore, so is the economy.

I think I'll just stick to making money with quests and pvp. Although I must say that's pretty sad. This is supposed to be an mmorpg. Usually in these games there's an economy that is at least passable.

An economy is a major factor in an mmo. If the economy is entirely bust in this game, then I can't say the future for swtor looks all that rosy. especially since goldsellers are probably already smelling blood in the water...

lol @ this. Neither you nor anyone else is really spending any money on the AH.

WoW i didnt know you were omniscent and knew what everyone else does.

Oh wait your not

My bad.

Edited by Meluna
insult

Look to the people who are complaining about this change, the problem is fairly simple, to level all other crafting and mission professions, it costs a fair bit of money. Slicing was having good enough returns that you were guaranteed to generate significant money over time, especially when you can start sending 3+ companions and still have a companion out, whereas for other professions, this simply made losses even steeper.

What does this mean? It means, for first time alts especially, slicing is unambiguously the better choice, so everyone gravitates towards slicing and away from everything else, everyone one has loads of easy money, and very few people are actually gathering stuff from the alternatives to slicing. Demand is large and supply is small. That just causes prices to skyrocket, and it will make everything more expensive, which hurts especially those who dont want to bother with crew skills, or dont want to spend the considerable ammount of time needed to manage auctions of your stuff. It also makes the game less interesting, by removing meaningful choices, and delaying the availability of gear from the alternatives to slicing untill people start leveling their alts.

For the above reasons, nerfing slicing was a no brainer. Maybe it needs to provide better rewards for things other than cash, but complaining that you can no longer get 1-3k every 30 mins per companion not presently in use, without having to do anything other than click a button, is just plain silly. And telling people who arent slicers that them having an inferior profession and rampant inflation of their server's economy is in their interest is even sillier.

Also, ive leveled 3 professions, not sold a thing on AH, am not a slicer, and could easily afford speeder training at 25, and already have the money for level 40 training, at 39, so claims that this training will be massively delayed because of this is total crap.

I get more money from questing in 30 min times than slicing and I'm doing the rank 5 rich/bountiful yield mission instead of the rank 6.

The rank 5 rich/bountiful always return with green box so you usually gain money from those but moderate yield can make you lose money (the money from white box could be lower than the mission cost).

Slicing provided me with extra credits but I need to buy my mat and gear from AH. Now after the nerf, instead of extra 1-4k credit per 30 min per campanion deployable (the money gap is large and 5k is from a crit blue box). Even mobs from Alderunn drops few hundred credit now and then and you can kill a whole bunch of them in 30 min.

Agree with OP.

I had been buying overpriced scavenged matts on the AH to level CyberTech.

Not even gonna bother now.

I'll just wait til I roll an alt, pick Scavenging with them, then send my other toons what I need.

(maybe this was just another ploy by BW to trick us into rolling alts?)