Defiant Devotion

JennyFlynn

I really liked the action and like Misha I was curious to see how things would go for Arielle in the heat of battle.

The outcome of her darkness was really something, I quite enjoyed what it did. I can understand how something like that would be draining for her. I also liked Scourge's tenderness when he was trying to bring her around. It should be interesting to see how she overcomes the drain it puts on her system.

Loved the chapter, I always enjoyed seeing Arkous and Darok get their just desserts. :)

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you both very much!!

Initially I wasn't certain whether to do it or not, it seems like such an over the top concept in ways to have Arielle be able to do that and it having the effect it did but then I reminded myself it IS fantasy and it's alright to go a bit beyond what's normal. And similar powers do actually exist in the Star Wars universe which made me feel a little better about it.

And answers will follow soon. :D

Thank you Wang for reading, and yes I did. I wanted to make sure both the potential of her powers as well as her struggle for control were reflected before her battle against Arkous and Darok. :) I'm also glad it gave you chills, it was meant to do so so thank you!

33: The Price We Pay.

Vast amounts of brownish-red sand and dirt covered the planet’s surface, the occasional sprigs of grass pushing their way through the dried out earth only to be scorched by the heat of the sun. Rare gusts of wind blew up nothing other than dust clouds.

Arielle placed the back of her hand over her mouth and she coughed, her throat feeling as dry as the ground beneath her feet appeared to be. Her eyes squinted against the fierce rays of sunlight as she tried to ascertain where she was.

In the far distance she saw a set of pillars towering over the remains of a seemingly old structure and with nothing else in sight for miles, she dragged her feet towards the ruins. It felt like she walked forever and her head had been throbbing ever since she opened her eyes but finally she dropped her tired body against the crumbled steps that gave entry to what she now believed to be a manor.

Only part of the building still stood though the foundation was mostly intact and covered a large area, stretching out further than she was able to see. Some walls had broken down completely providing an opening to previously closed off sections while others still stood at half their original height. Dust, dirt and the test of time had discolored and faded the original hues of the home and large chunks of debris that once formed a roof lay scattered across the floors.

“Just a little further my child.” a voice beckoned and she lifted her head.

Up ahead inside what used to be an entry hallway stood a small drinking fountain and Arielle rushed back onto her feet, her thirst stronger than the fatigue of her body. Her fingers waved before the sensory detector and a clear stream of water began to flow causing her to exhale with relief as she drank eagerly and splashed it across her face.

“It will always feel like that. It’s the price we pay for the fire.” the voice spoke again as a red shimmer appeared before her and slowly began to take shape.

She shook her head, thinking herself to be delusional from dehydration and she guzzled down another handful of water.

“Eliza.”

She froze and looked up again and this time, the vague figure had taken on the form of a Pureblood Sith. Tall with a formidably strong looking physique. Bald, fierce ridges along his face and brows and five tendrils hung down his chin, each graced by a single golden ring. Along the bridge of his nose sat another piece of jewelry with small studs on either side holding a charm, flamed symbol, atop in place. His eyes shone a bright red and though every other aspect of him served to intimidate those who faced him, a certain tenderness and sorrow lingered in the look he gave her.

“You’re him…” Arielle had a realization that made no sense to her but somehow she knew “My grandfather. How? I thought you were dead.”

“The Force brought us here.”

“Where are we?”

“Home where it all began. Where the first of us was born and mastered that which would destroy everything else.”

Tamas Ignis motioned for her to follow as he led her deeper into the ancient home of their ancestors. Singular pieces of furniture had withstood the tests of time though they were now covered in sand and dust and Arielle imagined the section they stood in now to have once served as a living room.

“How did I get here?” she wondered still not fully understanding her unusual situation.

“You used our unique gift to take a life, two lives even. It exacted its price on you and brought you here, to me, so you may learn as I once had to.”

“Learn, what?”

Her grandfather sat down on an old chaise lounge and beckoned her over to join him as she took up the empty spot at the foot end.

“That our unique power is a dangerous one too. Not just to our foes but to us as well. I assume you’re familiar with the corruption many Sith experience the longer they’re exposed to the Dark side and the more they invest in it?”

“Yeah…” Arielle nodded vaguely trying to understand where he was going with this.

“Our powers come with similar consequences except rather than alter our physical appearance or mental state, it slowly drains our life force within instead. A small spark, a single flame to ignite a fire are essentially harmless but to take a life, much less two, by wielding the fire comes at a far higher price.”

“It will result in blackouts, a temporary loss of consciousness though inevitably it will lead to your own death as well.”

Arielle shook her head “But I never even meant to use it at all I don’t know how to.”

“Hmm I’m aware. Your Jedi teachings have kept the Dark side suppressed for far too long already and you lack mastery over your own abilities. In a moment of desperation to save those you love, your darkness surged and siphoned off your allies to embolden you, taking control of you to do what you couldn’t.”

Her eyes widened “How do you know all of this?”

“I’ve been watching over you from the day you were born Eliza. I never expected the gift to return to our family after your father was born without but then some twenty odd years ago the Force called me here and showed me a vision of you. The last Ignis who’d one day need my guidance.”

Arielle felt strange as though everything she experienced was an illusion, a dream so surreal “I’ve read about you… they said you took great pleasure in burning your enemies alive and you even burned and killed your wife, my grandmother, because she gave birth to a human male rather than a Pureblood.”

Tamas shook his head and began to laugh “Terrifying tales, aren’t they? But that’s all they are too, stories. I faced down my foes same as any other Sith though I would burn their corpses following my victories, to further fuel the rumors surrounding our legacy. Fear can be a powerful tool.”

“My wife however, my beautiful Aurora…” he took on a serious tone and lowered his eyes “Despite the claims made by the incompetent fools who assisted her with the delivery of our son, it was my grief which turned her to ashes. She’d died in childbirth before then and I lost control of my emotions upon finding out.”

“She did burn but she never died by my hand.”

A moment of silence fell between grandfather and granddaughter as she eyed him curiously and tried to digest all which he’d told her. As if her strange surroundings weren’t enough already to make her question her own mind, now it appeared as though the man she’d assumed to be a monster wasn’t actually half as brutal and cruel as she’d been led to believe.

“How did you die? Was it because of your use of our power?”

“In part. I lost my temper in the presence of my apprentice and he took advantage, ending my life with his sword while I was unconscious.”

“Darth Aruk…”

He growled underneath his breath “Yes, that whimpering fool. He would have never dared challenge me otherwise.”

“Which brings me back to you my child.” Tamas took her hands and Arielle was surprised she could actually feel his touch “You have to be careful always and even once you master your powers, be mindful of those around you before you invoke them. Instill fear if you so desire but never use it to kill unless there is no alternative choice.”

“I’ll avenge you.” the vow escaped her before Arielle even realized it and she frowned at the thought.

He merely smiled “You know, I am so grateful for you and so proud. I thought our family line would die out but now here you are and you already possess everything you need to continue our legacy, to purify our bloodline once more.”

“Purify our bloodline…? I’m human.”

“Partially human.” Tamas corrected with a smirk that only raised further confusion with her.

“Our legacy befalls to you now Eliza and I’ve sensed your fear but you need to overcome it. The Dark side doesn’t create ruthless killers, what you do with your powers is your choice but accept it you must. I’d be even more honored if you’d fight for my seat but I know the pressures which were put on you already, I won’t do the same.”

It seemed as though he wished to say more but he suddenly rose up from his chair clearly startled and he seemed to be hearing things Arielle could not “You’re waking up now, we must hurry.”

“What? No, we’re not done yet.” she panicked as now that she was here, there was so much more she wanted to know.

Tamas pulled her onto her feet and clasped both her shoulders “Listen closely Eliza and hear my words. You must break free from your chains. You must embrace who you are. Only once you accept the Dark side and your legacy as Sith will you be able to gain control and control is everything. For you it’s the difference between life and death. Seek out my old friend, he still sits on the Council, he can help.”

His image began to fade before her eyes “Seize control of your powers, don’t let them consume you. Don’t ever use them again unless you have no other choice. For your well being, may we never meet here again my child and remember…”

Tamas’ warm and deep voice became distorted and turned to a whisper “Peace is a lie, there’s only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power…”

Everything surrounding her blurred and dispersed. The sight of her grandfather, the home they’d stood inside of, the planet of her ancestors until nothing but sheer darkness remained.

“Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.” she muttered restlessly and stirred.

Arielle gasped as though she’d been without air for hours and shot up, her eyes flashing open and adjusting to the bright lights within the stark white room. She blinked a few times and massaged her forehead feeling confused and disorientated and then she saw his face.

“Scourge… am I back?”

“Back?” he frowned as she buried herself in his arms “We’re on Manaan, we brought you here after the battle, do you remember?”

“Vaguely,” she glanced over to Malavai who stood to the other side of her “they were going to kill you. And then, nothing.”

“Everything just went black and then I woke up on a strange planet. It felt like Korriban but it looked, different than I know it. There was nothing but vast flat landscaping and dried up earth and in the distance there was an old ruined manor.”

Her throat still felt dry and she reached for the watercooler while she continued to explain everything she’d experienced while unconscious. The grandfather she’d met and what he’d told her of the unique gift possessed by her family, the consequences it brings and those things she must do now to master herself.

“It was so, surreal but in a way it was good too you know? Like I’d come home. Even the darkness there it, it never bothered me, I wasn’t scared.” she finished the cup of water she’d drank and poured out another.

“Do you think it was real?” Arielle turned back to look at Lord Scourge “I didn’t just, imagine it right?”

“I think it was.”

“Did you see anyone else there…?” Malavai asked with a sliver of hope.

“No...”

“Did he say who his friend on the Dark Council is?” Me’ghan wondered.

“No, and that’s fine. I have no intentions of seeking this friend of his out, there’s other things we need to take care of first.”

Arielle looked around the room and noticed the absence of their other allies “Where are Lana, Theron and Jakarro?”

“They found out that there’s a warrant out for them in both the Republic and Empire. There’s a bounty on Lana’s head for killing Darth Arkous, there’s an arrest warrant for Theron for killing Darok and twelve separate death marks for Jakarro.” Me’ghan explained.

“They’ve gone into hiding for now, off the radar completely. No contact.”

“Stars...” Arielle breathed in a whisper and sadness washed over her—she would have loved a chance to at least see them once more and say goodbye “No contact again ever or…?”

“I’m certain they’ll know to reach us once they track down Revan, this isn’t over yet.” Lord Scourge pointed out.

“He appeared to us all on Rakata Prime after you took down Arkous and Darok, told us he had plenty weapons left in his arsenal so whatever he’s planning, it’s big and we’ve got to be ready.”

“Right, okay.” she nodded her head slowly as she took it all in “I guess that gives me time to deal with some stuff.”

“Give me your datapad, please.” Arielle smiled at Malavai and created a new entry when he obliged “That’s my frequency and the address of our apartment on Nar Shaddaa. It’s neutral territory so if you want to stay in touch or whatever, not that you have to but if you want to, you can.”

He sighed with relief. For a moment he’d feared she would disappear same as the others and that he might not see her again until the next time the Revanites reared their cult loving heads “Thank you.”

“Where will you guys go now?” Me’ghan asked as the four of them began making their way for the shuttles and their own ships.

“I think it’s time I head back to Coruscant and have a good few words with Satele.” Arielle shrugged.

Lord Scourge quirked a brow at her “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, it’s time to get the truth out there and move on.”

I really enjoyed the chapter! :)

In particular, getting to see the dream/vision and learning more about Arielle's past life, and meeting her ancestor. I think she would have benefited from getting to spend more time with him. In this way, this is like those dreams where you get a moment with a loved one, but it's never long enough. I loved the descriptions too, of the world and their homestead. It actually reminded me of Dromund Fels.

I also like how she asked Scourge 'if she was back' when she actually hadn't gone anywhere physically. Poor Malavai though, he seems to hold out such hopes that she'll remember or respond to him better.

I'm looking forward to see what happens with Satele. I reckon that will be fun :D

Looking forward to more! :)

Great dream sequence, it was nice to see Arielle's ancestor and for her to get some, much needed, insights into her family, especially negating all the lies she had heard, and the new power. I think the fact that he told her that the dark side does not automatically make her a homicidal maniac will do a lot to assuage her fears. However, it is also good that he warned her about the toll her particular power would take on her physically.

Glad to see she is finally breaking down the barriers to a closer relationship with Quinn.

Confronting Satele, can't wait to see how that goes.

While your portrayal of Satele didn't mesh with my own headcanon of her, I'm still looking forward to the confrontation! Confrontation is always good (in stories, anyway).

Arielle's path reminds me a lot of Revan's. Starting off light, flirting with the dark, trying to juggle between them ... it makes it all the more interesting given the backdrop of the story. Hrmmm ....

@ Luna; Thank you, I enjoyed writing the vision actually it came out so spontaneously unlike some other Chapters. :) And I really wanted a way for her to know her family in a sense, to create a connection she hadn't been able to feel yet before having nothing other than hearsay to go by.

@ Misha; Thanks! Yeah, she really needed to hear those things and I did want a way for her unique powers to have... limits, something to stop her from just using it every single time from now on whenever she meets a bad guy. Things would get dull rather quickly otherwise I think lol.

@ Wang; Funny you should make that Revan comment. For one of the previous Chapters I had a segment which involved Arielle talking with Scourge and wondering what it was like for Revan to sort of walk between two worlds, wondering if she could do it without becoming what he became. I scrapped it eventually because something else popped up in my head but I do feel there's links, ones I hadn't planned on while writing really but it happens at times I suppose. Thanks for reading & commenting. :)

Would someone tell me how in the world I didn't find this little hidden gem of a story sooner?! I started reading it Saturday and caught up this morning, so now I have to go nuts waiting for updates:D Needless to say....I love it. I am a newly converted Scourge fangirl (thanks to Luna) and may I say that I agree with pretty much everything everyone else has said so far. I don't care much for Satele either by the way;) Probably because of the way she treats Theron....unforgiveable to me as awesome as he is.

Would someone tell me how in the world I didn't find this little hidden gem of a story sooner?! I started reading it Saturday and caught up this morning, so now I have to go nuts waiting for updates:D Needless to say....I love it. I am a newly converted Scourge fangirl (thanks to Luna) and may I say that I agree with pretty much everything everyone else has said so far. I don't care much for Satele either by the way;) Probably because of the way she treats Theron....unforgiveable to me as awesome as he is.

Hey Foxfire, welcome and thank you for reading I had no idea. :D Yay, another Scourge fan! I'm pretty sure Luna's been slowly converting many people with her stories ;) I've been pretty crazy about him from the get-go myself, it's what actually drew me to her story and eventually got me posting mine too.

Yeah.. Satele. I think she may have drawn the ire of many once we were introduced to Theron lol.

Next part should be up in the morning. :)

34: Last Chance.

“Grand Master,” Arielle calmly took her seat opposite Satele Shan and held her head high as she smiled “Thank you for taking the time to meet with me.”

Satele inclined her head at the Knight before her “Thank you for finally coming in. I trust that whichever kept you busy has been dealt with now?”

“For the moment.”

“Good. Now tell me, why did you wish to see me?”

Arielle narrowed her eyes on the woman before her “I’m sure we both know why I’m here, and why you asked me to come here a few weeks ago.”

When Satele remained silent, Arielle took it as her cue to continue.

“I know all the secrets you kept from me Grand Master about my family and my heritage. About who I really am and by now I even know more than you do.”

Satele kept a stiff lip “Go on.”

“What I don’t know is why you kept it a secret from me and though I could draw my own conclusions, I’d like to hear it straight from you instead. I’d also like to know who else was in on this, who else knows? Aside from your son and Lord Scourge.”

The Grand Master straightened out her back as she sat up “SIS Director Marcus Trant, heads of the former Jedi Council, Supreme Chancellor Saresh and now Master Jaric Kaedan as well.”

Arielle frowned at both her honesty and the people she mentioned “I suppose Master Kaedan raised some questions after our failed meditation session?”

“He did. I also felt it was my duty to inform the Supreme Chancellor when she ascended to her seat.”

“And Trant dug up the information you came by shortly after my mother left me in your care?”

“He did” Satele nodded “Although it would seem one of his newer Agents did a far more thorough job years later.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t have any of those deleted.”

Satele pursed her lips and averted her gaze, telling Arielle those things she refused to say.

“You did… you had Trant purge those records?”

“I had hoped to protect you from their unsettling contents. You were dealing with quite enough problems already.”

Arielle shook her head “No, no that doesn’t fly Grand Master as you promised Theron that you’d tell me the truth yourself so why destroy those records?”

“Mm it seems Agent Shan’s told you a lot, you two must be close.”

“He values this thing called honesty, now please answer the question.”

“I contacted the Director soon after I’d found Lord Scourge browsing through my private journal and asked him if there were any records of the people I’d named. When he found out there was, I asked him to delete them but he was unable to do so because Agent Shan was logged in to those specific files. Afterwards, they were purged immediately but by then it was too late.” Satele began to excuse her actions.

“Agent Shan contacted me to confront me with his findings and though I initially wished to keep the secret, he convinced me otherwise.”

“Yet you never contacted me, despite your promise to him.”

“I was called away for urgent diplomatic matters, unfortunately.”

Arielle scoffed and sat back in her seat “Convenient. You still haven’t told me why you kept it a secret. Why you lied to me every single time I asked if you knew anything about my parents. Every single time I asked if you knew their names, if I had any family left.”

“The Masters who held a seat on the Council when you were first brought to us decided it would be best if we didn’t tell you and I agreed, mostly because I had made a promise to your mother. She didn’t want her daughter to become Sith so why would I risk tempting you by revealing your heritage to you?”

Satele got up as she continued and circled around her desk towards Arielle “I assume you know why your mother was so fiercely against the Sith? The fact your father was murdered by Lord Scourge?”

“Yes, I’m aware.”

“And yet you harbor feelings for him still?” judgment dripped from her tone of voice.

Arielle opened her mouth to respond but instead just shook her head once more and laughed “Unbelievable…”

Her chair scratched across the floor as she pushed it back and got up as well “I can’t believe this though I really shouldn’t be surprised by it either.”

The anger she’d hoped to keep hidden rose to the surface, spurned on by the Grand Master’s deceitful words and excuses.

“How dare you! You who had a son with… with whichever man you decided to throw yourself at back then! A son who you then gave up and failed to raise yourself before trying to mother over me instead years later! And you lied, for twenty years you lied to my face each time I saw you!”

“You clearly made some tremendous effort to keep the lie going as well, having those records deleted and making Theron believe you were going to tell me the truth yourself. I’ll bet you were hoping he’d be misled by that promise and keep quiet so you could still continue your lie! Or perhaps, since you insisted on pointing it out, you’d hoped to break my heart by telling me how Lord Scourge killed my father? Oh I’m sure that would have been a big win for you.”

Arielle barely took a breath and refused to let Satele interrupt her “And then you also have the nerve to hide behind my dead mother? To use her as an excuse for your secrecy?”

“Well guess what Grand Master? She wasn’t here anymore and you had every opportunity to tell me the truth. To be honest and let me make my own choice, to put your faith in me for a change but you couldn’t do that could you? Even now that I’m here, you had me bring it up rather than doing it yourself.”

With every word that rolled off her tongue Satele Shan had begun to pale away slowly though her cheeks flustered and Arielle wasn’t sure if it was due to anger, shame or embarrassment over being caught out. Perhaps all three.

A few minutes of silence passed while Satele slowly paced the room, her eyes closed and Arielle could hear the woman focus on her breathing.

“Arielle…” she started “You should take a moment to calm yourself. These fierce words and emotions are unbecoming of a Jedi and I believe your unfounded resentment towards me blinds you to the truth in my words.”

“The truth in…” Arielle threw her hands up in the air, an aggravated groan escaping her lips “I have yet to hear an honest and sincere word from you.”

“Can you not see that I really, desperately need you to be completely truthful with me right now? That I need you to stop being the Grand Master and talk to me normally and openly? Just admit to your true reasons for lying and I will accept it but I can’t take any more falsities.” she pleaded.

It was the only deciding factor left for Arielle now. Deep down she still felt Jedi, she still honored those things she always had and most of the Code but she could no longer take the deception and manipulation. She’d tried to shrug it off for weeks but it was eating her up inside and if she was being completely honest with herself, the Empire had gained much appeal with the promise of her family and with her grandfather’s words lingering in her mind. All that stood between her and a new path now was this moment right here.

Satele Shan clasped her hands behind her back and shifted into her typical and official posture “I did tell you the truth Arielle. My secrets were only kept out of respect for your mother, and I am sorry to hear of her passing. I also do apologize for not contacting you sooner, I genuinely did mean to tell you these things myself.”

A slight tremor in her voice, her stiff and forced demeanor and a fixed gaze which narrowly fell behind Arielle gave away the insincerity of her words—she still lied.

Arielle closed her eyes in defeat and swallowed back both her anger and tears “I see.”

She was done.

“Thank you” Satele smiled, oblivious to her Jedi’s true sentiments behind those words “Now, as for your continued involvement with Lord Scourge, I—”

“No.”

“No?”

“My relationship with Scourge, it’s none of your concern. In fact anything to do with me is no longer your concern. You don’t get to dictate my life anymore.”

With a heavy heart, Arielle spun around and made for the doors “I really hope you’ll realize your own mistakes one day, Satele.”

She vanished from sight, leaving a confused and stunned Satele Shan behind. The fresh air outside the Senate building hit her flustered cheeks and Arielle let out a single gut wrenching sob before hailing a speeder taxi.

It was really over now. She’d so desperately hoped the woman who despite everything still meant something to her would finally open up and give her the honesty she longed for. She’d hoped the Grand Master would give her a reason to stay, something to earn Arielle’s trust once more but now all that awaited her were further goodbyes as Kira’s words from weeks ago ran through her head.

“I couldn’t follow you and I don’t want to lose you.”

“I’m sorry Kira…” Arielle quietly whispered in the wind.

She arrived at the spaceport and took one last glance over her shoulder taking in the all too familiar sight of Coruscant’s cityscape before she hurried for the hangar bays. The Defender awaited her, right where she left it and she was met with Lord Scourge’s eyes as she boarded.

“Take me home, please.” her bottom lip trembled and she swallowed hard “It’s over, I’m done.”

A very powerful chapter. Nicely done.

I really enjoyed the way she let Satele have it. She had that coming completely. And then to have the nerve to try and dictate to her about her relationship with Lord Scourge. She's got some nerve, that one. Blasting that woman is fun.

As always, I'm looking forward to the next bit. :)

Very well done.

Although I understand why Satele treated Theron the way she did, it does not excuse the fact that she should have never had a child to begin with. As for lying to Arielle, it always seemed to me to be a way of control, keeping the promise to her mother is a cop out and Satele knows it. And the fact that she told Saresh, how blind can Satele be? I don't even understand the SIS, but that Twi'lek bish, ugh. Too little, too late for poor Arielle, I do wonder, however, where Arielle considers home since she asked Scourge to take her there?

Waiting to see where they all end up.

I guess Satele is never going to learn. Every time she opened her mouth she just dug the hole deeper. She should have realized this late in the game that only the truth would save her if anything at all could. And to tell Saresh too? If there is anyone I dislike more than Satele it's that Twi'lek bish!!! I put her in the Alliance prison in KOTET but when my Agent gets there I strongly suspect she's gonna die! :D Anyway, this was a great chapter and I'll be anxiously waiting for the next one!

@Luna; I actually struggled between letting her have it or not. A part of me felt Arielle may cross a 'professional' line but on the other hand I couldn't in any way justify her NOT having her say, I couldn't see her laying down and taking more lies once again. It made me feel sad though which is so weird and stupid because *I* control the story. :rolleyes:

@Misha; Satele has underlying motives for her lies, definitely and she'll have to face it one day. Lol @ the feistiness regarding Saresh though... does anyone like that woman really? I think for Satele it was simply a matter of responsibility given Arielle's 'hero' status within the Republic and the potential 'risk factor' of her background, a thing I likely conveyed poorly as I got fully wrapped up in the heavier elements of their conversation.

@Foxfire; Yeah sometimes people are so set in their ways, so adamant about maintaining an image and their secrets they just dig themselves into deeper holes which is what Satele is doing. And I killed Saresh in-game, I won't spoil much but I can promise you it's worth it. ;)

Thank you three for reading & commenting! ♥

35: Tough Goodbyes.

“It’s a combination of things Kira. Knowing now that I am Sith and actually accepting it. Understanding that my place has always been with the Empire. Opening up to my family and wanting them in my life and of course I could have tried to be half Sith while serving the Jedi but Satele’s lies and manipulation have utterly destroyed my desire to do so.”

Arielle ran a hand through her hair and pulled a tie off her wrist to bundle her thick red locks up instead while she paced the living area of her apartment and tried best as she could to make her friends understand. To help them see why the choice she’d finally made was the right one for her.

She’d left Coruscant and Satele Shan behind for good four days earlier and from that very moment, despite the heartache she’d experienced, she had begun to feel a whole lot better too. A newfound sense of confidence and security had washed over her and the prospect of embracing the Sith and Empire had gone from a scary one to one she actually felt excited about. As if everything had suddenly fallen into place now.

Kira disagreed, strongly and had already done plenty of yelling to make that clear but Arielle was determined. Perhaps she appeared cold and careless but she had to stand tall and stick to her guns. A single moment of weakness, of sorrow over losing her friends could cause her to change her mind and she knew she’d come to regret that.

“Look Arielle, this Jedi stuff usually goes over my head alright so I won’t pretend to understand this grandfather thing you spoke of or special powers that consume you but I do know this—Satele lied to you, not the entire Order. Why base such a heavy decision on her mistakes?” Doc sighed, his usual light hearted demeanor having left him entirely.

“Because she is the Order and for as long as she leads them, I will never be able to trust any of the Masters again. She has this uncanny ability of wrapping people around her finger, getting them to do her bidding while having them believe it’s their own idea.”

“Oh don’t be stupid.” Kira snipped as her nostrils flared in anger.

“Stupid? Tell me Kira, what made you decide to come here?” Arielle challenged her former Padawan though she already knew the answer.

“I didn’t call you, I didn’t invite you over because I wasn’t ready yet to tell either of you. I didn’t know yet how to tell you but here you are.”

Kira folded her arms in protest and looked away “Master Kiwiiks asked me to check in on you.”

“Exactly, and why did she ask you to do so?”

The small ginger let out a heavy sigh “Because she’d heard of your argument with the Grand Master okay?!”

Arielle nodded and sat down on the arm of the chair Lord Scourge sat in as well and though he’d kept quiet wanting to let the three of them work this out, he did place a comforting hand at the small of her back.

“No, it’s not okay Kira because it proves I’m right. Satele told Bela what happened and got Bela to convince you to come and check up on me. Knowing I’d feel compelled to tell you what went on and that you’d try your hardest to convince me of changing my mind, of returning to the Jedi.”

“You make the Grand Master sound like a Mistress of manipulation Arielle, surely you don’t believe that? You’re blinded by anger, I get it but come on now.”

“No.”

Arielle hung her shoulders and gave a wry smile “If anything I see more clearly than ever. This was meant to happen all along.”

“Are you talking fate and destiny now?” Doc quirked a brow “You’re starting to sound like him.” he indicated his head at Lord Scourge.

“Maybe but don’t you think it’s odd? Scourge finds Satele’s journal but doesn’t tell me right away so instead I receive this resurfaced memory which prompts a confession from his end. Theron fails to call Scourge or myself regarding his findings so instead I’m, quite unexpectedly under the strangest of circumstances, confronted with my uncle.”

“It’s almost as if something out there insisted on me learning the truth one way or another.”

Kira rolled her eyes “So now you believe it’s the Force that wants you to serve the Sith?”

“It’s not unthinkable.” Lord Scourge offered quietly and he was instantly reminded of why he’d kept out of the conversation thus far.

“YOU keep out of this! I bet you’re loving this! After all your hard work, your grooming and constant tempting you finally have her right where you wanted—in your arms and turning into a willing slave for the Empire!” Kira spat.

“This isn’t what I wanted or planned for but I would follow her anywhere, I will support her choices always and if either of you were truly her friends you’d do the same. You’d want her happiness before all else, you’d respect her wants and needs instead of clinging on like selfish children begging her to sacrifice herself so you can be happy!” he argued back.

Despite his fierce words, Arielle felt her heart melt for a moment appreciating the way he always had her back through anything.

“I know you hate it but he does have a point Kira. It was also the Force that set him on a path to wait for me and find me and it was Master Orgus through the Force who convinced me of the dark ally I’d find, who turned out to be Lord Scourge.”

“I believe it does guide our path and it guides mine now, I need to follow it and see it through.”

Her words gave Kira a sense of finality and defeat as her anger made way for burning hot tears instead and she swallowed hard “So this is really it then? We’re over and done and you’re leaving?”

“Yes, I am and I already know neither of you will come with me so I won’t insult you by asking… which leaves us to say goodbye instead.”

Arielle felt the pain in her heart too though she fought it with all she had and reached for her datapad “I’m signing ownership of the Defender over to you Kira and I’d also like to ask you to keep Teeseven in your care…”

“He was given to you by Master Orgus.”

“And now I’m giving him to you. He belongs with the Republic and perhaps one day, he’ll protect your own Padawan.”

Another sob escaped Kira’s lips and she nodded sadly “I can’t believe this is happening.”

Lord Scourge took Arielle’s hand and she squeezed it firmly, finding a way to release her own emotions without breaking down before her friends.

“I never saw this coming either Kira but now that it’s here, I know it’s right.”

Doc got off his seat and pulled Arielle up into his arms before kissing her cheek “I love you and please remember you’ll always have a home with us should you change your mind…”

She favored him with a tender smile “Look after yourself Doc, and take care of Kira. I love you both and I’ll always carry you with me.”

Kira shuffled her feet slightly and kept her gaze averted “I think we’ll just go now… I can’t bear it to say goodbye so…”

She hesitated and then rather than leave with a heartfelt word, huffed instead in true Kira fashion as she made for the doors unable to hold herself together for much longer “If I find out you’ve turned into a murderous psychopath I will hunt you down! So don’t!”

The door flew wide open as she stormed out and shoved her way past two people who’d just stepped out of the elevators and Doc gave Arielle an apologetic shrug “I’ll look after her I promise you but don’t forget what I said alright?”

“I won’t… and once she calms down, tell her I love her and always will.”

He took his leave as well after half raising his hand in an awkward wave to Lord Scourge and Arielle exhaled deeply, wrapping herself into Lord Scourge’s arms as the door fell shut behind Doc.

“You can let it out now.” he whispered to her ear while gently caressing her back.

“It’s stuck…” she frowned “and besides, we’re seconds away from welcoming the people I called and invited over earlier.”

Almost on cue, the buzzer echoed through their apartment and Arielle fixed a brave smile upon her face as she answered and let Malavai Quinn and Me’ghan in.

“Hey guys, come in, please.”

“Thanks…” Me’ghan gave her a curious look as though she sensed the woman’s heightened emotions “was that your crew we just ran into in the hallway? They seemed upset.”

“They didn’t take the news so well.”

“What news?” Quinn wondered out loud as he eyed his niece.

“I’ve left the Order… it’s why I invited you both over, what I wanted to tell you.”

Arielle sat back down and gave them a quick recap of the past few days and her conversation with the Grand Master, as well as the reasons for her decision “It’s pretty much official as far as I’m concerned.”

Quinn noticed the way she nervously played with her fingers and kept her gaze fixed firmly on the coffee table before them rather than look either of them in the eye “Are you okay?”

She shook her head as the emotions she’d been shutting out finally rose to the surface “No. It’s harder than I thought it would be and it hurts… I don’t do well with change and losing people, in any capacity.”

He got up and Lord Scourge stepped aside to make room for him as he sat down by Arielle and wrapped an arm around her. The first tears fell from her eyelashes as she turned and hugged into his shoulder.

“They were the only family I’ve ever had until now.”

To his surprise she clung to him in a way he’d never expected, in the same way she last had twenty years ago when he’d lost her.

“And I’ve missed you so much. I don’t even understand how that’s possible and my anger’s been consuming me, blinding me but I’ve missed you and I do remember you.”

She finally let it out. The sentiments she’d tried to ignore, the anger over her mother’s fate which she’d held on to because it was easier to be mad than to let long lost family back into her life and heart, all of it spurned on by the loss of her closest friends.

Quinn soothed her and calmly stroked her hair as he let her cry “I’ve missed you too Eliza.”

Me’ghan gave Lord Scourge an awkward smile as she got up and inclined her head towards the kitchen area, silently inviting him to join her while giving Quinn and Arielle a much needed moment together.

“I uh, I know you don’t like me all that much but if you don’t mind… can I ask what caused you to betray the Emperor and team up with the Jedi? Eliza already told Malavai bits and pieces but I’d rather hear from you.”

“It’s a long story.”

“Well,” Me’ghan looked back towards the living room “we’ve got time, they need this. Spill.”

“Alright” Lord Scourge smirked and pulled a beer from the fridge before offering one to Me’ghan as well “Ever hear of Nathema?”

He leaned back against the counter and began sharing his entire history with her—how he’d ended up working for Darth Nyriss, how members of the former Dark Council had conspired against the Emperor after learning of Nathema’s history. Tales of how he’d first met Revan and the circumstances which led to his peculiar alliance with the Jedi and the Exile. He told Me’ghan of the vision he’d received as they faced off against the Emperor and failed leading him to betray Revan and swear allegiance to his foe. He explained the price of immortality he’d paid and how it had allowed him to live throughout the centuries waiting for Arielle.

By the time he finished, Me’ghan felt sick to her stomach. When the Emperor had first reached out to her through his servants she’d welcomed their help, wanting to survive and rid herself of her own Master and she’d never fully questioned the Emperor’s motives otherwise.

“Stars… does the Dark Council know any of this?”

Lord Scourge shrugged “Not that I’m aware of, the Emperor went out of his way to hide it from history.”

Me’ghan smiled softly with a newfound respect for the Sith before her “I don’t know if I could have done what you did, sacrificing my life in that way…”

“I wasn’t aware of the price until it was too late but I have no regrets” he inclined his head towards Arielle “she turned out to be my light at the end of the tunnel and together we prevented the galaxy’s annihilation.”

Meanwhile over on the couch, Arielle’s tears finally subsided as she let go of Quinn “I remember so much more now, stories you’d read to me before bed… what was that one again? You’d read from it almost every night.”

Bella and the Sith Lord, because it was your favorite. I must have read it to you a hundred times.” he laughed.

“About an Alderaanian Princess who traded her life for her father’s when the Empire came calling looking for slaves and willingly left for Ziost with the Sith Lord named Adam.”

“Right, yes” Arielle beamed “and they fell in love which broke the immortality he’d been cursed with…”

She glanced over at Lord Scourge and chuckled “Well I guess that story somehow stuck with me through life.”

'Parting is such sweet sorrow' as the saying goes, and saying goodbye to friends she had retained for years could not have been easy. Kira behaved very much like her personality would have dictated and Doc was exceptionally thoughtful and kind.

It was good to have some Quinn time again and Scourge was awesome with his support of Arielle's decision.

I do wonder, though, how Arielle will fit into the sith world, which is so much about lying and backstabbing? And Scourge, going back to the empire where he is likely persona non grata.

The changes should make for an interesting read.

I agree with Misha, the parting of the ways was very well done and heartfelt, and I felt that you did a wonderful job of keeping to Kira's character and Doc's too. It was a sad moment, but spoke volumes about who they each are as people.

I hope Kira sees one day what a snake Satele is, under all that self-righteousness too.

The reunion between Arielle and Malavai was sweet too, and I particularly enjoyed the mention of the bedtime story as well. Very nice. Looking forward to the next part! :) And just in case I don't catch you around online, I hope you have a lovely happy holiday season! ^^

Thank you guys. :) I actually had a hard time getting the 'goodbye' conversation done between Kira, Doc and Arielle because I didn't want to, but I knew making them come with her would just not work either.. so after writing 6-7 different versions of this Chapter.. pff, done.

And Bella and the Sith Lord.. was trying to think of child appropriate books, eventually decided to give a minor nod to Beauty and the Beast because it's love. ♥

Wishing all of you happy holidays, even the silent readers! :)

Gonna be a bit longer in between updates now with Christmas etc. going on but I'm not going anywhere!

Apologies, it's been little over a week and like Misha... between the holiday blues I experience around this time each year and Carrie Fisher's passing I've felt little motivation to write much of anything. I'm not even sure if the upcoming chapter is sub-par, I feel slightly out of it but let me know your thoughts and once again apologies that it took a bit longer than usual. :)

36: Visions.

A vision of genuine beauty, Lord Scourge decided as he quietly observed Arielle while she sat entranced within the guest-room now functioning as a meditation room instead. Her long, red and wavy hair cascaded down her back and shoulders. Her eyes closed while a peaceful smile lingered on her face and he could see the darkness swirling around her.

The traditional and pure white Jedi robes she’d worn in the past had now been replaced by a black ensemble instead and though Lord Scourge couldn’t fully see its cut, he approved nonetheless and smirked when his gaze fell upon the amount of skin she showed now, no longer hiding herself under endless layers of clothing.

“You can join me if you’d like.” Arielle mused sensing his presence.

He glanced at the unlit candle before her as he approached and knelt down at her side “Any luck yet?”

“Mmm no.”

Lord Scourge took her hand, lending her his strength “Focus inwards and picture the candle in your mind, imagine a tiny spark floating towards the wick.”

Arielle inhaled deeply and drew upon the Force surrounding her as she followed his instructions. A blurred image of the candle appeared in her mind before fully taking shape and as she concentrated on the idea of lighting it, she suddenly saw endless amounts of ember particles dancing all around her. She beamed as she felt their warmth and focused on one of the sparks, slowly nudging it towards the long white wick. It swayed and swerved before her eyes as though it tried to defy her orders but then slowly began falling forward and Arielle could hear a small hiss as the stubborn tiny spark reached the candle and transformed into a perfectly shaped flame.

“I did it?” she breathed out slowly but didn’t dare actually look.

“Sort of, mostly…”

A hint of amusement sounded in Lord Scourge’s voice tickling her curiosity and Arielle opened her eyes.

The candle before them shone brightly which put a smile to her face but in the corner of the room one of the brand new Tchuspera plants she’d bought burned just as fiercely as the flames soared up towards the white drapes that graced one of the windows.

“Oh kriff!”

Lord Scourge laughed as he rushed to get the extinguisher and he put the fire out before it could spread any further “At least you managed some control this time and you didn’t pass out.”

Arielle shook her head while she got up and opened the window to let the smoke out “It needs more precision and direction…”

“It’s a start.” Lord Scourge snaked his arms around her and kissed her lips “Small steps, remember?”

“Right.”

“How did it feel?” he asked taking her hand and he led her into the living area to sit down.

“Better than it ever has… now that I’ve made a choice and accepted things as they are, I feel far more stable and in control. I’m not overwhelmed or panicked.”

“And the loss of your friends no longer burdens you?”

She rolled her shoulders in a small shrug and looked away as he touched on the one subject which had left a scar on her heart.

“There’s no point in missing them.”

A small sigh escaped his lips and he pulled her into his arms “Yes there is. Missing them means treasuring the good memories and giving your emotions a place in your heart.”

“Not missing them, or pretending not to, is just you hiding your feelings yet again. You’ve got to stop doing that.”

Arielle slowly turned her head around to him and quirked a brow before her frown faded into a smile instead. She softly kissed his cheek and wrapped herself fully into his arms.

“What was that for?”

“Because I love you and sometimes I don’t know what I’d do without you, and your counsel, my Lord.”

A peculiar but pleasant shiver ran across his spine and he smirked “My Lord?”

“Isn’t that what Sith apprentices and acolytes call their superiors? I may as well start practicing my manners and you’re perfect.”

Lord Scourge wasn’t sure if she was just playing coy or meant it but he couldn’t deny the fact those two words coming from her stirred something inside of him “Very well, and what do I call you then?”

“Eliza.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah” Arielle idly drew small circles across the back of his hand as she thought about her old name “Arielle just feels like a hollow shell now you know? It’s my Jedi name and the name of an orphan who was shaped into the ideal soldier by Satele. I’m not her anymore.”

“Eliza is who I am and always have been underneath and it’s the name my mother gave me.”

“Malavai will be thrilled.”

“I hope so… I should give them a call later and check in.”

She turned herself around in his arms and climbed onto his lap effectively straddling him “Right now though…”

“Mm yes?” Lord Scourge grinned and pretended not to read her intentions.

Arielle reached behind her neck for the fastenings of her halter cut out dress and let the top sink down revealing her bare chest “I think it’s time for Master and apprentice to get some further… training in, wouldn’t you say my Lord?”

——————————————————————————————

“Hey you’re back” Me’ghan smiled and kissed her husband on the cheek as he walked through the front door and sat the heavy bag he carried down “What did they say when you told them?”

“I haven’t told them yet” he frowned “a part of me still worries Eliza may disappear from our lives again and I couldn’t bear having to break my mother’s heart a second time.”

“Then how did you convince them to let you take all this stuff out of the family vault?”

Malavai smiled “I may have used my loving wife as an excuse.”

“I explained to Richard that I’d told you about my sister and niece, of the heirlooms left in our care and that you being Sith yourself felt intrigued by the story and wished to see the objects up close.”

“Well,” Me’ghan eyed the bag curiously “that’s not a complete lie. I can sense something calling out to me… what’s in there exactly?”

“A few of my sister’s keepsakes, some old books including the one I used to read to Eliza when she was little… figured she might appreciate having that again now that she remembers.” Malavai explained.

“Mm good idea.”

“There’s also a large chest in there which used to belong to Darth Pyralis. I’m not sure what’s in it, the locking mechanism does nothing but perhaps she can figure out a way to open it up.”

“It could be sealed off with a Blo—”

Malavai caught Me’ghan just in time as an unknown force seemed to nearly knock her off her feet and she reached for her dizzying head. Her mind filled with images, none which she recognized or understood. An unfamiliar star system flashed before her eyes, a planet that seemed to burn up entirely while a city with structures similar to those in Kaas City was littered with the corpses of Imperials including her own.

“My love? What’s wrong?” Malavai worried as he sat her down.

Me’ghan rubbed her forehead and blinked a few times “I had a vision…”

“There was a galaxy neighboring our own and then, nothing. Every star went dim, both in that galaxy and our own. The end of everything.”

“Was it brought on by what I’m keeping in the bag, Darth Pyralis’ belongings?”

“No this was something else entirely… something sinister, a warning perhaps.”

A chill ran along Me’ghan’s spine as she recalled her conversation with Lord Scourge. As she remembered what he’d told her of the Emperor’s intentions and how what she’d just witnessed looked an awful lot like such an event.

“Call Eliza.”

——————————————————————————————

While the man she loved more than anything slept on the couch, completely spent after their extracurricular activities, Arielle gently slipped from his arms making sure not to wake him. She picked her dress and undergarment off the floor and covered herself up before stepping outside onto the balcony.

Across the way in the far distance she watched as a long line formed for one of the nightclubs on Nar Shaddaa and colorful party lights brightened up the sky. It reminded her of times long ago when she and her then still complete crew had paid a visit to a brand new club on Coruscant, paid for in full by Supreme Chancellor Saresh to celebrate their victory over the Sith Emperor.

Kira had carelessly and eagerly hit on any man she’d laid her eyes on and at the end of the night even brought one of them home. An SIS Agent, Arielle recalled, with black hair, blue eyes and a brown leather jacket.

“What is it with those Agents and their leather jackets?” Arielle mused to herself and for a moment her mind landed on Theron.

In a strange way, she feared telling him about her decision more than she’d feared telling Kira and Doc. Theron was new in her life but in many ways she felt a connection to him, one that no doubt stemmed from their shared miserable experiences with his mother and despite the little they knew of each other otherwise, Arielle struggled with the idea of losing him too.

She considered their mission and found herself wondering where he was right now when out of nowhere, visions of a strange galaxy flashed before her eyes. She saw people chatting away, an island surrounded by lush waters though far more occupied and crowded than Rakata Prime had been and then she saw his face—Revan.

Arielle rushed back into the apartment to wake Lord Scourge but he already stood with her comm device in his hand “It’s Meg, she had a vision.”

“So did I…” Arielle took her comm “What did you see?”

“The end of everything. A nearby galaxy, a burning planet, everyone was dead…”

“I saw a planet too but far away and remote, in a different galaxy from our own. An island city and then I saw, Revan.”

Arielle watched Quinn pace behind Me’ghan before he took over the call “An island city? Could the galaxy you saw have been a dwarf galaxy?”

“A dwarf galaxy sounds right… what do you know?”

“There is such a galaxy off the Outer Rim, known as the Rishi Maze.”

“I’ve been to Rishi.” Lord Scourge noted “A pirate resort and a real dive. Perfect for those looking to disappear and fall under the radar.”

“Well I guess we’re off to Rishi then.” Me’ghan suggested from the background.

“Yeah about that…” Arielle smiled “Think you could come pick us up first? I no longer have my ship.”

Thank you for another great chapter, Jenny! The holidays usually have that effect on me as well, so I know where you're coming from there. But I didn't think this was sub-par at all, I enjoyed it very much. Keep 'em coming, and I really hope you feel much better soon and have a great 2017:)

This was actually quite a lovely chapter. It touched on Arielle's acceptance, her shared love with Scourge, and acts as a nice lead in to the next bit on Rishi. It is always wonderful to see Malavai and Me'ghan and I loved how he went out of his way to gather Arielle'e things from her childhood, especially the book.

Christmas blues and other things aside, I always enjoy those chapters that give insight into characters.

Here's hoping that 2017 is a much kinder year to us all.

I really enjoyed this, in particular the way Scourge taught Eliza not to ignore her feelings but acknowledge them. I also loved his reaction to her referring to him as 'my lord.' :o

Malavai and Me'ghan make me smile and I loved how they had the visions that will lead them to the next leg of the journey. Also adored the mention of a certain agent I love, even if not by name, I knew it was him :D

I'm looking forward to seeing Theron's reaction to Eliza/Arielle's news.

As Misha said, we learned more about the characters and even if the recent losses and holiday stresses weighed on us, it added insight. I think the work was lovely and if anything the grief and stress enriched it all the more. :)

Edited by Lunafox

@Foxfire; Thank you and yeah, I'm so glad 2016 is behind us now! Really hoping for a far better year on all fronts! Happy 2017 to you :)

@Misha; I'm glad you enjoyed the Chapter regardless, it was one of those killing time things really and I'd considered more 'adventure' rather than a stay-at-home but I just wasn't feeling it with all the real life stuff. Plus with Rishi now, there's plenty to come. :)

@Luna; LOL! I had to reference him somehow and that part about him and Kira is actually from another story that lost out to this one when I decided to start posting. I also wanted to incorporate both the JK and SW lead ins to Rishi and mix them together.. hope it worked out alright, thanks :D