Defiant Devotion

JennyFlynn

Thank you both for your feedback! Yeah, she's got a lot coming her way all at once at the worst time possible and, she's not quite out of the woods yet either!

A/N; The following Chapter is, not really action filled and involves quite a bit of monologue. I hope I managed to keep it interesting still but if it bores you I apologize. Someone just needed to have their say and I tried to do it best I could.

28: Family Affairs.

The rising tension in the room was abruptly cut by Jakarro who stormed in, carrying Deefour’s head around his neck as always and he cried out in anger “Jakarro would like you all to know he tires of these human squabbles and wishes you would finish up so we can leave this place and pursue the men who tortured us.”

“Of course” Lana nodded soberly reminding herself that they still had a quite a road ahead of them “I’ve glossed over Jakarro’s known accomplices and perhaps one of them could help us track down Arkous and Darok.”

She turned to Theron and placed a hand on his arm “Why don’t you finish up here while I go prepare the ship?”

“Yeah, alright.”

“Captain, Wrath, I will be in touch when we know more but in the meantime I must urge you both to keep this to yourselves. I know Darth Marr and Darth Vowrawn have questions of their own regarding Darth Nox and the events on Korriban but we cannot include them in this, not just yet.” Lana said her goodbyes before following the wookie and his droid outside.

Theron frowned in earnest as he eyed the four people who were left. Arielle hadn’t said another word since Quinn’s confession and neither had he but he’d kept his eyes on her the entire time. Lord Scourge protectively stood at her side, gently squeezing and massaging her shoulder to try and calm her while Me’ghan had now picked up Theron’s datapad to get an understanding of what was going on.

“Guys I know this must be hard on you, unexpected and likely overwhelming but I beg you to try and find a way of working together. The Revanites are united in this and we must be too if we want a chance at defeating them.”

Theron turned to Arielle and sighed deeply “Arielle… I’m so sorry that you had to find out like this. If I’d known this morning that they were going to be here too I would have told you everything right then. I never meant for this to happen.”

“Don’t worry Agent Shan. Keeping things from me for whichever period of time appears to be a family trait of yours.”

She didn’t even look at him as the bitter words fell from her lips. A part of her didn’t mean it, deep down she knew she’d offered to wait and hold off but with Satele still fresh on her mind Arielle couldn’t help but see a striking similarity between the two Shans.

“I deserved that...” he admitted and though her words stung, they were nothing compared to the guilt and anger he already felt towards himself “I’ll be in touch, soon, if you’re still willing to go through with this. Let me know.”

Theron excused himself and packed up his things before he too disappeared through the sliding doors.

“Malavai...” Me’ghan started as she forced her husband to look at her “Can you explain all of this to me please? In your own words.”

She’d read through the files but felt the need to know more than just those things explained in the Intelligence reports. He’d never told her about any niece or a sister for that matter which unintentionally bothered her quite a bit.

Quinn glanced at Arielle who still refused to even look at him. It hadn’t taken much for him to realize she was aware of her mother’s fate and he considered that perhaps if he shared his side of the story, his experience and role in everything she’d become more willing to give him a chance so he nodded at Me’ghan and sat down.

“I had an older sister, Savannah Quinn though I usually called her Van. She was four years my senior and in true Quinn family tradition enrolled at the Imperial Academy and graduated with honors, after which she joined Darth Marr’s forces. Van met a man there, James, and soon married him before giving up her career when she discovered she was pregnant.”

“Our entire family was elated. Not at first, my parents are die-hard Imperial devotees, but they quickly grew used to the idea of Van becoming a stay at home mother and we all supported both her and James. My sister’s joy was short lived when James was killed one month before she was due to give birth. Van was devastated and the news caused her to go into premature labor...”

Quinn looked over at Arielle again but her eyes remained firmly fixated on the ground beneath her feet and he let out a small sigh before he continued.

“Van was at my parent’s house at the time, as was I fresh out of the Academy myself, and they send for a physician. We waited all through the night and most of the next day until we finally received some good news again—Van had given birth to a baby girl and both were a picture of perfect health despite earlier complications.”

“She named her daughter, my niece, after our own mother and James’ mother and granted the girl her father’s last name. Eliza Aurora Ignis. Four and a half pounds, bright blue eyes, her father’s fiercely dark red hair and carrying the birthmark of a true Ignis family member—a flame shaped symbol on her left shoulder blade.”

“We were all so happy and proud and I adored her from the moment she flashed those big blues at me. I even delayed enrollment into the army to spend more time at home and help my sister out.”

Arielle quietly scoffed to herself as she listened to his story but still refused to say anything or even look up at the man as he spoke.

“My sister wasn’t doing too great. The loss of her husband sent her into deep mourning and depression. She would spend most her days in bed crying, refusing to eat or even look after herself so much of Eliza’s care befell to my parents and I. It went on like that for about a year until Van finally seemed to be recovering from her grief.”

“Having sold the house she lived in with James, Van got herself a new apartment on Dromund Kaas and moved there with Eliza. I finally resumed my career as an Imperial officer but remained close to home, working a desk job at first in Kaas City so I could still go and see them both each chance I got.”

Me’ghan found herself smiling softly at part of his confession. They hadn’t really discussed the subject of kids yet and part of her had always wondered if her husband would even be the fatherly type but hearing him talk about his niece now gave her a new sense of hope for their own future.

“That little girl was my world you know? I can still see her stumbling and later on running towards me whenever I’d walk in the door and Van seemed happy enough having someone around to help her take care of Eliza.”

“But things didn’t stay so idyllic, did they?” Me’ghan heard the quiver in his voice and knelt down beside her husband, taking his hand into her own.

“No. One afternoon Van had gone out to find herself a part time job while I babysat Eliza. We were sitting on the floor playing with her toys and stuffed animals, lining them up as soldiers when suddenly they began to move. Several of them shot forward as Eliza giggled with joy and furiously waved her hands around as if she was commanding them.”

Arielle finally looked his way as he approached the one memory she did have of him and her mother, the one which had resurfaced recently and a part of her became curious about the incident which had caused her mother to flee.

“Eliza had the gift of the Force, just as her grandfather did but at that exact moment, Van walked in the door as well and flew into a panic. She began yelling, raging, swearing that she wouldn’t allow her daughter to grow up as Sith. As the monsters who murdered James. She unintentionally upset Eliza who started crying and...”

He hesitated. The memory still lingered fresh in his mind, the terror he and his sister had both felt for a moment when the toddler showed her true potential and he wasn’t certain whether Arielle would even want to hear that part.

“And?” Lord Scourge urged, his own curiosity rising as he narrowed his eyes on the Imperial.

Quinn swallowed hard “Eliza’s toys suddenly burst up into flames. We knew her grandfather’s reputation, we knew of the unique ability said to only be possessed by those born within the Ignis family but I never would have guessed that such a small child... I think it was brought on by emotional distress.”

“Van lost it completely. She raced around the apartment grabbing nothing more than a few essentials and stuffed them into her bag before demanding I hand Eliza over to her. I didn’t want to and Eliza clung onto me with tears still streaming down her face but Van pried her little hands loose and they took off. I never saw my niece again. My sister returned home several months later but Eliza was no longer with her.”

Arielle shook her head and unexpectedly began to laugh through her own tears, bitterly, as she took everything he’d said in “You know, that’s one hell of a story and you almost had me going until this whole ridiculous part about a three year old channeling the Force to set her own toys on fire. Wow.” she exclaimed.

She rose from her seat and kicked it aside, still shaking her head “I’m out of here, go sell your sob story to another.”

Lord Scourge caught her wrist as she turned away and pulled her back in, placing an index finger just below her chin as he urged her to look up at him “Don’t run from this Jedi. There’s truth in his words, I sensed it and though such Force powers are rare, they do exist and easily manifest within young untrained children when they’re faced with fear or upset.”

“You wanted answers about who you are, where your darkness comes from and this is it. Don’t walk away from it now.”

“Eliza... please.”

Arielle cringed at the sound of his voice and the mention of her real name, unable to associate it with anything good right now while she turned around and glowered at Quinn “Please what? You know, I’ll give you a please.”

“Please explain what kind of man would disown his own sister, have her arrested and essentially sentenced to death because if she hadn’t hung herself, the Sith likely would have killed her anyways. Please explain that instead of giving me your phony tears.” she spat.

Me’ghan bit back her own anger as she allowed the Jedi to rant but it took all her strength not to lash out. She felt her husband’s pain and to hear another step on his soul like that was infuriating.

“It wasn’t that simple.” Quinn massaged his temples and momentarily buried his face in his hands before looking back up at his niece “Van put all of us in danger when she fled. She knew the Empire’s laws by heart and still she fled with a Sith child. My parents and I had no choice but to disassociate ourselves from her and I left her several calls begging her not to come back home once authorities filed a warrant for her.”

“One of the people she’d shared a shuttle with reported her to the Sith. Five months later, Van came back to Dromund Kaas alone and was arrested immediately upon her arrival. I visited her in holding to ask why she’d returned despite my warnings but she refused to speak with me. The only thing she did say and swore by was that you were dead and not long after, she took her own life.”

“She knew the Sith would torment her and search her mind to find the child. Her only way of keeping the girl safe and hidden was to permanently silence herself.” Lord Scourge figured understanding the workings of the Empire only too well.

Arielle bit down on her lip so hard it near bled as she fought back the renewed tears which had sprung into her eyes upon hearing Quinn’s explanation “Please Scourge... let me go. Take me away from here I can’t process this right now, not with them here.” she begged as she looked up to him.

“Please.” she urged again when he wouldn’t release her wrist and finally he nodded.

Lord Scourge didn’t fully approve. He felt she’d have an easier time dealing with everything by facing it head on and talking through it on the spot but he wasn’t blind to the heartache she was going through now so reluctantly he agreed. He let her wrist slip from his grasp and she fled the room.

Quinn felt an enormous sense of defeat hitting him as he watched her go and breathed in a whisper “She’s the spitting image of her mother when she does that...”

Me’ghan ignored Lord Scourge’s presence as she sat herself down on Quinn’s lap and wrapped him in her arms “I’m so sorry... I had no idea about any of this. Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I was ashamed and my parents and I had agreed to never speak of this again. We did try searching for Eliza for a while but the constant disappointment and false hope really broke my mother’s heart. Mine too if I’m being honest so afterwards I buried myself in work instead, in fighting for the Empire and its glory.”

“Is there any other family besides yourself and your parents?” Lord Scourge inquired calmly.

Quinn frowned “Not that I know of. There’s Me’ghan, by marriage but James was an only child.”

“And these powers, Ignition, do you know how they work? Their history and origin?”

“No. Only that they're passed down through generations of Ignis Sith... she’s never used them again?”

“No.”

Lord Scourge turned on his heel and made his way for the doors deciding he knew enough for now “I will speak with her.”

It was about the only promise he could make before he vanished from sight.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no need to apologize for the chapter. Not every chapter can be full of fights, plotting, doom and gloom, or even witty repartee. I call them filler chapters, but for character development and to move the story along, they need to be there. The problem in this forum is that, unlike a book, we cannot move immediately on to the next chapter, they are often posted days or even weeks apart. I think it sort of leaves you wondering if your last post was enough to hold the reader's interest. I too feel like my 'filler' chapters may be boring, but if they are necessary to the story, or to the character(s) then they need to be posted.

For your purposes, Quinn's voice needed to be heard, it was important for him to tell his side and important for Arielle to hear him. Even Scourge understands this. I as a reader understand this, and the exchange was interesting because it not only filled in background detail, it also allowed character growth. I, for one, found the revelation interesting and want to see where this leads not only for Arielle, but Quinn and Scourge as well. :D

There was no need to apologize for the chapter. Not every chapter can be full of fights, plotting, doom and gloom, or even witty repartee. I call them filler chapters, but for character development and to move the story along, they need to be there. The problem in this forum is that, unlike a book, we cannot move immediately on to the next chapter, they are often posted days or even weeks apart. I think it sort of leaves you wondering if your last post was enough to hold the reader's interest. I too feel like my 'filler' chapters may be boring, but if they are necessary to the story, or to the character(s) then they need to be posted.

For your purposes, Quinn's voice needed to be heard, it was important for him to tell his side and important for Arielle to hear him. Even Scourge understands this. I as a reader understand this, and the exchange was interesting because it not only filled in background detail, it also allowed character growth. I, for one, found the revelation interesting and want to see where this leads not only for Arielle, but Quinn and Scourge as well. :D

Pfew, thank you, that's a relief. I do sometimes look at the chapter and think "but they just.. talked. No one got punched, no one died.. hrmmm is this okay?!". It's an odd way to look at it perhaps but what you say makes sense and I'm glad it didn't end up being boring! :)

I enjoyed the chapter very much. It was good to hear the story from Quinn, it needed to be done. Like Misha said, don't apologize, it's a necessary thing in a story to have chapters that advance the story. I think conversations can actually be quite interesting, they give you time to reflect on what has happened, is happening, and those 'aha moments' you get near the end of the story, always harken back to moments that are seemingly quiet, but informative.

Do what needs to be done, do your best and don't apologize. As I said, I enjoyed it, Quinn and Scourge in the same story is quite exciting enough. ^^

Thank you both, that's actually pretty reassuring as there are some chapters to come in which everyone kinda has to work through stuff. I guess it's inevitable in a way and I don't always feel right throwing them into a warzone just so they can talk about those things that need talking about, or work through something, without it becoming boring. It's just tricky to convey a whole lot of dialogue with little else going on in terms of activity, and to still keep it interesting.

I'm very glad you both liked and approved of the chapter! :)

I'm still catching up, but I just gotta say, I sat down today to read one chapter and somehow ended up reading 8. I only stopped because I'm about to head off to dinner. I just wanted to express how much I'm enjoying this story. I have to admit I'm a bit surprised I am that I am having a blast. I'm not typically a fan of romance (even though Luna and Misha have already proven to me that I can be drawn into anything as long as the characters and story are interesting), and I wasn't expecting to be sucked in. But the plot you've woven here with Arielle and Scourge has been quite compelling. I think the thing I like the most is that Arielle's companions don't pull any of their punches and really let her know when they think she's off her rocker. That's the realistic kind of can't-look-away drama that keeps my scroll finger busy. :)

I'm still catching up, but I just gotta say, I sat down today to read one chapter and somehow ended up reading 8. I only stopped because I'm about to head off to dinner. I just wanted to express how much I'm enjoying this story. I have to admit I'm a bit surprised I am that I am having a blast. I'm not typically a fan of romance (even though Luna and Misha have already proven to me that I can be drawn into anything as long as the characters and story are interesting), and I wasn't expecting to be sucked in. But the plot you've woven here with Arielle and Scourge has been quite compelling. I think the thing I like the most is that Arielle's companions don't pull any of their punches and really let her know when they think she's off her rocker. That's the realistic kind of can't-look-away drama that keeps my scroll finger busy. :)

Thank you, that first part especially means a lot. I always love that feeling when something's so good I can't stop or put it down so I'm glad it sucked you in. :) Just curious, which Chapter are you on now?

And I do try to make it so the people around Arielle, her close friends especially, don't just blindly accept every little stupid or in their eyes foolish thing she does. As you say, it's a realistic aspect and one I feel is important. I keep it in mind each time I write and ask myself "How would Kira respond? They don't see Scourge the way Arielle does, are they okay with this?".

I'm glad you're reading, do let me know what you think as you progress or finish because I appreciate the feedback. Think it's kinda like this little thumbs up that fuels the writer, or me at least. :)

29: Nothing Left to Say.

Quinn’s eyes were still on the door as if he expected Arielle to return at any moment but she never did “I shouldn’t have said anything. Why did I have to let myself go like that?”

“Shock, surprise. You were overwhelmed.” Me’ghan gave him a sympathetic smile but he couldn’t help scolding himself.

“I’m trained to deal with shock, with the unexpected and to not lose my decorum.”

“Mal… this isn’t the same and if you’re waiting for me to reprimand you, I won’t.” Me’ghan pulled up a chair and sat down next to him “At first I thought she was a past lover, actually. The way you responded to her it was as though everyone else ceased to exist but I understand now. I can’t say I’d react any better if I were suddenly faced with a loved one I’d thought to be long dead.”

“I feel so foolish. Van said she’d fled to the Republic and I cast it aside as a lie, assuming she purposely tried to throw us off Eliza’s trail. Same as her lie about Eliza’s death.”

He buried his head in the palms of his hands once more “I never even considered looking among the ranks of the Jedi.”

“You wouldn’t have found her there then, she was too young.”

“She hates me.”

Me’ghan sighed and took her husband’s hands in her own “She needs time. I don’t think she ever knew any of this and you just turned her life upside down.”

“I shouldn’t have said anything.”

“Stop” she placed her index finger to his lips “We’ll figure this out and if you want to be angry with someone, blame the people who’ve kept her from you all these years. I cannot imagine the Jedi didn’t know.”

Me’ghan rose back to her feet and urged Quinn to do the same “Let’s head home and take a few days to deal with this, see what we can dig up about your niece and that Sith she was with.”

“You mean your predecessor?”

She chewed on the inside of her cheek and nodded. The comments made by both Lord Scourge and Arielle had left her with an unsettling feeling that the both of them knew far more about the man she served than she did herself.

“Yeah. I’m dying to know now what made him turn his back on the Emperor…”

———————————————————————————————

The Defender was dark and seemingly empty by the time Lord Scourge returned but he could feel her presence nearby and made his way for her private quarters. He found her there, curled up into a ball on top of her blankets as she cried in silence.

“Jedi...” he sighed and flicked on a small light before climbing into bed next to her. She instantly rolled over and clung onto him, letting her tears trickle down his chest and he wrapped her into his arms.

“I don’t know how to feel...” Arielle admitted in choked up whispers “I tried to stay, to hear his story but I couldn’t breathe.”

“I never even considered she might be dead... I always just assumed she was out there enjoying life and that was okay.”

She buried her face against his chest again and sobbed, her heartache evident as she struggled to process everything she’d learned.

Lord Scourge, feeling entirely inadequate in the position of trying to provide the sort of comfort she needed now slowly rubbed the small of her back and focused on their conversation instead “They would have faced imprisonment themselves if they hadn’t renounced her. I know that’s hard for you to understand but life in the Empire can be quite unforgiving, especially for those that don’t possess the gift of the Force.”

Arielle frowned and thought “I know, I’ve heard the stories but it’s not an easy thing to accept and there’s a part of me which...” she hesitated and gasped for air.

“Don’t hold back Jedi, just tell me every single thought you’re having.”

She lifted her head slightly and looked up at him through tear soaked lashes “Is it okay if on some level I’m angry with her too?”

“I mean, why did she have to go back? Even if she never got his message, she should have known better right? Why risk it?”

He nodded and kissed the top of her head “You can be angry but no one living will ever be able to answer that question now.”

Her fingertips idly played along his chest as she fell silent again, losing herself in her own train of thought. Earlier that day she’d felt so happy and revived, she’d been in good spirits and even had a sense of clarity but now her entire world felt like it had been turned upside down once more.

“Malavai... I think I loved him once... there’s been, snippets of memories resurfacing as he spoke but, I don’t want to feel that right now, you know? He’s a near complete stranger.” Arielle sniffled.

“And Imperial, which makes your predicament even harder now.” Lord Scourge deduced.

“Mm” she mused resting her arm on top of his chest as she lay her head down and stared into his eyes, her own puffed and red though the stream of salted tears ebbed away slowly “So this is where my darkness comes from huh? I’m not just Sith and not just part of any bloodline but an ancient one dating back to the days of old.”

“It is. Many of my species have always enjoyed a symbiotic bond with the Dark side of the Force which was naturally passed on to you, even if your father never possessed the gift, even though you’re human. You’re part Pureblood too which is something that won’t be ignored, trust me.”

“I’m actually ashamed I didn’t make the connection sooner,” Lord Scourge thought out loud “that I was unable to identify its origin. I should have sensed your darkness wasn’t new but rather ancient instead.”

“What connection?”

“Your family name, Ignis. It had faint familiarity when I first heard it but I couldn’t quite place it.”

“And now?”

Lord Scourge propped one of the pillows up behind his back as he sat up, pulling Arielle more firmly into his arms at the same time “Now I remember.”

“Back in my village, when I was still a child myself, there were always whispers of powerful Sith with unique abilities. Abilities they’d nurtured and maintained by keeping their bloodline pure. One of those families was the Ignis family who were said to have enslaved the element of fire, wielding its flames as a weapon of their own.”

“My ancestors?”

“Yeah.” Lord Scourge chuckled as he recalled those incredulous stories “I never believed any of it, cast the tales aside as myths. Until now.”

Arielle welcomed the distraction as he spoke of his own past and the faintest makings of a twinkle returned to her eyes—she loved listening to him talk about times long ago and his own history.

“Now it would seem you’re living proof.”

She snorted miserably “We’ll see about that. I may have once burned my toys, ridiculous as that sounds but I don’t recall ever doing it again. It might have been a fluke and the purity of my bloodline ended the moment my father was born. He was human, not a Pureblood and he wasn’t gifted in the Force either.”

“That doesn’t mean the legacy ended with your grandfather.”

“Do you suppose our families knew each other?”

Lord Scourge scoffed at the very suggestion “I doubt it. Families like yours always secluded themselves from others, imagined themselves to be above everyone else. They lived in entirely different areas, sometimes even a whole other space section.”

“And yours?”

“Proud and traditional though not half as arrogant. My mother taught Sith history to the local children while my father was gone most days fighting for our survival and for the Empire.”

“What became of them, if you don’t mind me asking? I mean you became immortal and—”

“I lost them both long before I became immortal. My father fell supporting an old family friend during a feud with another Sith while my mother died during my first year at the Academy. A mysterious virus affecting only my species had swept through the village.”

“You never talk of them” Arielle mused as she lingered in his embrace “Were you close?”

“They raised me right and I respectfully mourned them both, my mother more so than my father. I never knew him well enough.”

She could hear the faintest signs of affection in his voice when he spoke of his parents and a part of her envied that, wishing she’d known her own well enough to treasure such sentiments and then Arielle’s brows pulled into a frown as her mind landed on a different thought.

“My name and legacy… Is that why the Emperor had my father killed? That prophecy makes much more sense now, a child born from the ancient flames, it’s not literal. Did he know who I was when I faced him, what I might be capable of?”

“It does make sense now and based on what Malavai had to say, I even suspect that the constant torment you endured at Chaskar’s hands was all intended as a way to see if the myths surrounding your family were true. For the Emperor to see if you possessed those same powers, if they’d manifest under duress. He would have had the perfect weapon then.”

She sat up and looked at her hands, wondering what would trigger such an ability within her if the Overseer hadn’t managed to draw it out. A sharp sting lashed along her lower back, phantom pain of wounds that were no longer there and then she felt Lord Scourge’s tentative fingertips caress her skin instead.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t protect you then, it was too great a risk.”

“You need to stop apologizing for things like that” Arielle grimaced as she reflected on her own situation “What I need from you now is—”

A faint chiming sounded through the small quarters “I’m really starting to hate this thing.” she picked up the holo comm which had interrupted their conversation and grumbled.

“Arielle.”

Lord Scourge felt her tense up at the sound of Satele’s voice “Grand Master.”

“I apologize for disturbing you so late...” Satele spoke smoothly and Arielle could see her tilt her head as though she tried to get a better angle of the holo image before her. Lord Scourge stealthily snuck out of sight.

“I urge you to meet with me on Coruscant immediately. It’s a matter of great import.”

“I’m busy.” Arielle limited her use of words on purpose, if only to prevent herself from lashing out and for a moment thought back to the manner in which she’d snapped at Theron.

“If you could fill me in on your current mission I may be able to have another take your place.”

“No need.”

She could hear Satele’s resigned sigh “I spoke with Master Kaedan and he informed me of what he saw within you, what you both saw.”

“Of course he did.”

“Arielle we’re concerned for you. Please meet with me.”

Arielle tightened her grip on the small device as her anger rose to the surface “I have nothing left to say to you Grand Master.”

She snapped the comm shut in her hand and threw it at her bedroom door while releasing an aggravated scream. The accessory shattered instantly, its broken wiring crackling in the air before dying out.

Lord Scourge watched as she shook, a combination of anger and hurt written all over her face “Jedi...”

“I don’t think I want to go back, not for a while. Not to Coruscant and not to Tython either.”

“Then we won’t.”

“I should call Kira and tell her what happened though. And I need to apologize to Theron.”

Lord Scourge tried but couldn’t stop himself from grinning “You just smashed your social life into a dozen pieces” he pointed back near the door.

“Oh right” Arielle buried her face against the palms of her hands “Set course for Nar Shaddaa. We’ll resupply there and I’ll get myself a new comm and until then anyone who needs us can just call the ship instead.”

“Nar Shaddaa?”

“Do you have any other suggestions? It’s a dump but at least people won’t look at us twice there and we can get what we need. Perhaps even stay a few nights, away from the Jedi and Republic.”

“Alright, sounds reasonable enough to me. I’ll plot our course and then if you want, we can discuss your training as Sith? Assuming that’s what you meant to say before Satele interrupted.”

Arielle flashed him half a smile and nodded “It was.”

Edited by JennyFlynn

I really enjoyed reading your take on Scourge's parents and how he felt about them and what sort of life they lived. I also enjoyed the brief exchange with Satele and Arielle's reaction at the end of it. I can relate Satele makes me want to do the same thing any time i hear her speak lol.

Nicely done! I look forward to the next part and also seeing more of Malavai as well as he works through this. :)

It was nice getting a little insight into Scourge's childhood and the feelings he was capable of before the emperor took everything away.

Bah, Satele, I would tell her to pack sand also, good on Arielle for not answering the summons.

Malavai has a lot to work through and I do hope we'll see him again, he is a favorite of mine. :)

Hmm, Nar Shaddaa, alone with Scourge, what could possibly happen. And starting her training in a whole new discipline, it will be interesting to see how much Arielle actually embraces. I guess it helps to be 'Hot for teacher!' ;)

I really enjoyed reading your take on Scourge's parents and how he felt about them and what sort of life they lived. I also enjoyed the brief exchange with Satele and Arielle's reaction at the end of it. I can relate Satele makes me want to do the same thing any time i hear her speak lol.

Nicely done! I look forward to the next part and also seeing more of Malavai as well as he works through this. :)

Thank you Luna. I was kinda stumped on what sort of background to provide him with in their brief mention... and I really wish we knew more about him. Like Arielle, or perhaps she like me, could probably spend hours listening to him talk about his entire past dating back to when he was a kid lol. Then again he could read off a grocery list and I'd still swoon. :rolleyes:

It was nice getting a little insight into Scourge's childhood and the feelings he was capable of before the emperor took everything away.

Bah, Satele, I would tell her to pack sand also, good on Arielle for not answering the summons.

Malavai has a lot to work through and I do hope we'll see him again, he is a favorite of mine. :)

Hmm, Nar Shaddaa, alone with Scourge, what could possibly happen. And starting her training in a whole new discipline, it will be interesting to see how much Arielle actually embraces. I guess it helps to be 'Hot for teacher!' ;)

Lol! With just that one last sentence of your comment I had an entire reel of a work out/training montage flash before my eyes that ends in the bedroom. Bad. And I do love Malavai too, he's probably a close second if I were capable of ranking all the men in-game that I'm addicted to. :rolleyes: Thank you for the comment, it was inspiring actually as I was contemplating skipping over their time on Nar Shaddaa altogether and struggled but I've got a bridge now. :)

30: A New Home.

Several cargo crates within the old abandoned factory were knocked over, like bowling pins tumbling across the floor and scattering as they broke Lord Scourge’s fall.

“Scourge!” Arielle ran after him with her blades still roaring.

He scratched the back of his head and scrambled onto his feet “I’m fine Jedi.”

“I’m so sorry.” she looked at him and sighed.

Arielle sheathed her training sabres and tossed them aside “This is pointless. Each time I open myself up even a little bit, it takes a hold of me. Like it decides what my next move will be and I’m just in the passenger seat along for the ride. I can’t do this!”

“Yes you can, one step at a time.”

“I tried one step at a time, back at our new apartment and if I recall correctly, you nearly went sailing over the balcony in the next room over!”

“Which is why we’re in this old factory instead. Huge space, no heights to fall down from now pick those things back up and let’s try again.”

“Are you sure you’re not injured?” she frowned as she splayed her fingers and called on her weapons.

“I can take it Jedi, I heal fast remember?” he grinned but Arielle wasn’t impressed.

“Yeah,” she muttered “Until I blow you up or set you on fire. I doubt you’ll outheal that.”

“I heard that” Lord Scourge warned as they stepped away from each other again and got into position “Just keep trying okay? Let it in slowly, feel it course through you and will it to become a part of you, something you control. Force it to do your bidding.”

Arielle steadied her feet and activated her blades once more. With her eyes closed, she took a deep breath and focused inwards to draw upon the darkness which had been begging her for release. It coiled and swirled as she felt it reach down to her fingertips and toes, demanding control and Arielle fought hard to try and subdue the overwhelming essence.

Several steps ahead of her, Lord Scourge smirked as he prepared to make his move. He dashed forward and leapt up, allowing the Force to carry him a short distance. His sword was drawn and held high overhead as he prepared to swing it down upon the unsuspecting Jedi who still had her eyes closed.

Without ever looking, she felt him approach and right as he was about to strike Arielle crossed both her lightsabers in defense. She halted his attack mid-air before pushing off against him and once more he found himself thrown far back this time without any crates to catch his fall.

Lord Scourge used his arms to protect and cushion his head as he landed with a thud and rolled several feet further. He heard his shoulder pop and groaned, forcing himself back up to snap the joints back into place but before he had a chance to do so he found himself making another tumble through the air.

Arielle stalked after him, her hand raised and her eyes burning bright red not even bothering to use her weapons as she repeatedly lift him up and tossed him into the nearest walls.

“Focus Jedi get control of yourself!” he yelled out while forming a shield to protect his body from continuous blows.

“Do not ever call me Jedi” she hissed in sheer anger as she threw him into a nearby support beam “that’s not who I am anymore and I’ll die before I ever serve them again!”

“Tell me... how you really... feel.” Lord Scourge panted as he found himself dropping down against the duracrete floors once more.

He got to his knees first and then rose back up to face her, his sword ready to fend off the next attack she would throw his way “Own your pain Jedi.”

“I TOLD YOU NOT TO—” she bellowed furiously and aimed the tip of her blade at his throat but something within stopped her.

Arielle observed Lord Scourge as he stood uneven on his feet. Despite his fast healing properties he looked bruised and beaten, a single trail of blood running down his nose and one of his eye sockets was swollen. Multiple cuts decorated his arms and slowly, she sank down to the ground as her own eyes reverted back to their original color.

“Scourge…” she gasped.

“I will be fine, you know this.”

A small tear ran down her flustered cheeks “But I won’t be… each time I let it in, I lose control.”

“Yes but you took it back this time.” Lord Scourge crouched down next to her and pulled her into his arms.

“Because it’s you. Because I love you. I wouldn’t have stopped if it were anyone else.”

He cupped her face between bloody hands and wiped her tears away as he leaned in to kiss her lips “Then let me be your anchor.”

“I don’t want to try again, it’s too overwhelming.”

Lord Scourge shook his head and pulled her back up “All the more reason to keep trying. It’s better to get through this now than in the heat of battle.”

“However, I do believe we should change our approach.”

“Yeah?” Arielle quirked a brow.

“Yeah. Your Master Kaedan may have been onto something, so we’re going home to meditate. On the Dark side.”

“He’s not my Master.” she snipped but followed him out of the factory to return to their apartment instead.

The lights Arielle was sure she’d turned off, shone brightly illuminating the red and golden exterior and windows of their new home and the speeder landing pad. Through the colored doors she could see two shadows, one seated as another paced around.

“We’ve got company.” she whispered to Lord Scourge as she activated her proper weapons.

He nodded, his own sword at the ready and they both quietly approached the hatch doors. A familiar giggle reached their ears and Arielle rolled her eyes as she punched her access code into the security panel.

“Up to old tricks again Kira?” she smirked when she walked inside.

The startled ginger spun around and gave an innocent shrug “Just for today, only took me a few minutes to crack your code.”

Arielle clipped her lightsabers back onto her belt before wrapping Kira in a tight embrace “It’s so good to see you, honestly. How did you know we were here?”

Lord Scourge strode in after her and gave Doc a small nod of acknowledgement before disappearing into the refresher to check up on his injuries and wash the blood off.

“One of my old friends from the refuge saw you at the black market two days ago. Why didn’t you call?”

“Wanted to but I got into a little argument with my coms. Or rather the person I was talking to at the time. It’s broken, I’m waiting to be issued a new one.”

“Satele?”

Arielle nodded “How’d you guess?”

“She’s been calling us to find out where you are and what you’re up to.” Doc explained and pulled her into a hug as well.

“Unfortunately for her, we were as clueless as she is, and still are in some ways.” Kira added.

“I’m sorry. So much has happened I just needed a few days to myself first.”

Arielle invited them both to sit down and took a pitcher of fresh juice out of the fridge. She sat it on a tray along with some glasses and joined both her friends on the fancy sofas which had come with the place when she rented it. Lord Scourge reemerged from the refresher, not a cut or bruise left on him but rather than join the threesome he lingered back at the fully stocked bar instead, another luxurious amenity which had come with the apartment.

“What happened, where have you been and why are you here on Nar Shaddaa?”

While pouring out their drinks, Arielle began to explain—their trip to Manaan, the discoveries they’d made about Arkous, Darok, Revan and the Revanites and Darth Nox’s involvement and demise. She took a sip from her juice and sighed before launching into the next part of her story, the one that had affected her more than any enemy ever could.

“I’m still torn between wanting to punch his lights out and wanting his embrace like I’m a child all over again.” she spoke of Malavai Quinn as she finished sharing everything with her friends.

“Unbelievable…” Kira breathed in a whisper while she got up and took a bottle of sweet sunfruit liqueur from the bar.

“We need something stronger for this conversation.” she answered Lord Scourge’s curious look “Want some?”

“Pass.”

Kira shrugged and mixed shots of the alcoholic beverage in with their juice “So Satele and Theron knew all this and never told you?”

“I’m not sure how much Satele knew though clearly enough to want to keep it a secret. Theron knew everything but only discovered this recently and I do believe he had every intention of telling me, if fate hadn’t brought Malavai and Me’ghan to Manaan before he could.”

“He should have contacted me like I asked him to.” Lord Scourge huffed from his quiet corner as he helped himself to some Corellian brandy.

“So are you leaving us in favor of the Empire? Is that why you’re holed up here instead of coming back to Coruscant?” Doc asked bluntly.

“I haven’t thought that far ahead, nor decided. I just know I don’t want to go near the Temple nor the capital city right now.”

“But it’s your home Arielle, you’re Jedi.” Kira pointed out.

Arielle said nothing, wanting to avoid an argument but deep down she was starting to resent that phrase.

“Why not come back with us and we’ll go with you as you talk to Satele? Give her another chance to be truthful with you this time.”

“No, I’m too angry right now, it wouldn’t do any good.”

Kira let out a resigned sigh, knowing better than to push the matter although Arielle’s continued disassociation from the Order bothered her quite a bit.

“Are they nice people at least?” she changed the subject.

“Malavai and Me’ghan?”

“Yeah.”

“Hard to say, it wasn’t exactly a getting to know each other type of situation. I argued with Me’ghan, prior to Malavai’s big confession… and she’s the new Wrath.”

“She’s an idiot.”

Arielle turned around and smiled at Lord Scourge “He didn’t like her.”

“He never likes anybody.” Doc snorted.

“And yet I allow your continued existence.” Lord Scourge took the bottle of brandy and handed it over to Doc as he finally joined them, accepting that the meditation he’d planned for wasn’t about to happen any time soon with the company of their uninvited guests.

Doc eagerly exchanged his current drink for a glass of golden goodness instead “How are you affording this place anyways? It’s a massive step up from your Coruscant apartment and last I checked Jedi don’t earn that much.”

“I traded a group of Twi’leks to a Hutt for a discount.” Arielle responded dryly.

Kira choked on her beverage and coughed furiously “You what?”

Arielle giggled and shook her head “I’ve actually been saving most of my credits since my Padawan days, spending enough for fuel and food but never more. Plus I helped the kind people at the rental office settle a dispute with some unsavory tenants which earned me some nice upgrades.”

“So you’re staying here? I mean, I guess it’s a nice and neutral place incase you want to invite certain people over…”

“It is and I’ve already got some movers hired who will collect the rest of my stuff from Coruscant and bring it here.”

“Hey why don’t you guys finish your drinks” Arielle started as she got up “and then we’ll hit one of the clubs nearby? I could do with some unwinding for once.”

Edited by JennyFlynn

Loved the chapter!

I really enjoyed how you explored the training sessions with Arielle and Scourge's reactions to it. I loved how he uses 'Jedi' to incite her and work up her hatred.

The part that really made me smile was when Scourge passed the booze to Doc and spoke about allowing his existence to continue. That was such a Doc/Scourge moment, I could really see that happening.

Looking forward to more! :)

I enjoyed this chapter very much, and happy I could provide that bridge for you with my 'hot for teacher' comment. :D

Arielle seems like a person of extremes, not quite finding her footing. I feel she is paused between extreme Jedi and extreme Sith and I wonder what the collateral damage might be. It is a good thing that Scourge is her teacher, I doubt anyone lesser would survive, however I do worry a bit about consequences if he pushes her too far too fast.

The interplay between Scourge and Doc was amusing and definitely the discourse suited both. Hmm, a night out on the town, this will either go very good or very bad.

Waiting to see what the next move is.

Loved the chapter!

I really enjoyed how you explored the training sessions with Arielle and Scourge's reactions to it. I loved how he uses 'Jedi' to incite her and work up her hatred.

The part that really made me smile was when Scourge passed the booze to Doc and spoke about allowing his existence to continue. That was such a Doc/Scourge moment, I could really see that happening.

Looking forward to more! :)

Thanks Luna! The part with Doc and Scourge escaped my fingers without even giving it a single thought, it just felt so natural so I'm glad it made you smile!

I enjoyed this chapter very much, and happy I could provide that bridge for you with my 'hot for teacher' comment. :D

Arielle seems like a person of extremes, not quite finding her footing. I feel she is paused between extreme Jedi and extreme Sith and I wonder what the collateral damage might be. It is a good thing that Scourge is her teacher, I doubt anyone lesser would survive, however I do worry a bit about consequences if he pushes her too far too fast.

The interplay between Scourge and Doc was amusing and definitely the discourse suited both. Hmm, a night out on the town, this will either go very good or very bad.

Waiting to see what the next move is.

Yeah, I had wanted to do some training in the Chapter but really found myself stuck on how to do it. Then given your comment as well as events in a future Chapter I'd already written, I decided to show a glimpse of her acceptance and combat struggle. And she is a person of extremes, at the moment at least fueled entirely through circumstances and her inner struggles.. maybe she'll mellow out. I haven't actually decided yet on which side she'll wind up in the end, which is fun!

Thank you. :)

31: Rakata Prime.

A tender and cooling breeze swept across the ocean and white sands, rustling the nearby palms and caressing Arielle’s warm skin as she dipped her toes into the fresh waters along the shore of Rakata Prime. Blissfully she sighed and closed her eyes, savoring every precious and tantalizing impression that hit her senses. What a shame, she realized, that she’d come here to prevent a war when a planet as this one seemed so close to paradise in every other aspect.

“It’s rather stunning, isn’t it?” Theron’s voice sounded behind her as he approached.

It had been his call to her the day before that had lured Arielle and Lord Scourge out of their Nar Shaddaa residence and back into the world to continue their fight against the Revanites, essentially pausing her training or at least, the training Lord Scourge had tried to get in.

After the events at the old factory, the arrival of their guests and a meditation session which had left Arielle in tears, they’d barely gotten anything more done. She’d rebuffed Lord Scourge’s attempts to continue, fearing the power she held within herself and shying away from the emotions she felt. Eventually he’d given up and the two had enjoyed some tender and loving moments together instead after their guests had returned home.

Now she stood on the surface of Rakata Prime waiting for Me’ghan and Malavai Quinn to arrive while several feet away from her, Lord Scourge had engaged in conversation with Lana trying to get the latest news on the Empire’s current affairs.

“I could stay like this forever and be perfectly happy.” Arielle mused.

She opened her eyes again and turned her head to face him “I’m sorry I snapped at you on Manaan, you didn’t deserve that.” the apology she’d been wanting to give him finally left her lips.

Theron dug his hands into his pockets as he shook his head, the guilt still lingering “No, I did. I should have contacted you the moment I found out.”

“Or Lord Scourge as he was the one to make the inquiry.”

“Yes,” he sighed “Or him. Instead I chose to put my faith in Satele and I should have known better.”

“Satele knows all of it too, from the profiles you collected?”

Suddenly Satele’s urgent call from two weeks prior made a lot more sense and Arielle felt all the more grateful that she’d rejected the idea to meet on Coruscant.

“After I’d read those Intelligence reports, I easily surmised you were the little girl they spoke of. Eliza. I called Satele to find out if she knew and how much she knew which turned out to be most of it. Not all the finer details mind you but enough.”

“But you didn’t call me or Scourge?”

“I considered calling you, despite Satele’s promise that she herself would reach out to you but I lost my nerve not wanting to be the person to bring you further pain. And Scourge… I didn’t trust him with the information.”

Arielle quirked a brow “And now?”

“I’m still undecided but the events on Manaan did show me he genuinely cares about you…”

The downcast tone of voice in which he spoke didn’t fall on deaf ears “You sound disappointed about that.”

Theron rummaged his fingers through his short spiky locks and gave half a shrug “I eh… I think Scourge is just a hard person to read which is a little unnerving. I usually have a person figured out pretty well before ever even exchanging words with them.”

She nodded “Fair enough. He is a complicated man.”

“So what about me then?” Arielle turned to face him fully “What was your assessment of me when we first met?”

“Crazy woman in a nightgown battling defenseless droids.” he smirked and a chuckle escaped her lips.

“I had to ask.”

Theron smiled down into her eyes “You were going through a tough time, I don’t hold it against you.”

“And yet things only got worse from there on out, for most part” she exhaled deeply “Back then my biggest concern was whether Scourge liked me as much as I liked him but now…”

Arielle averted her gaze to stare back out across the waters “Now it’s all who am I and where do I go from here? I’m at a crossroads waiting for a sign that just won’t come.”

“You’re you and one of the best Jedi we’ve got.” his answer was well intended but it was the very thing she’d heard all her life and had grown sick of.

“You’re right and that’s the problem. I am Jedi. I’ve always been Jedi. I was raised by the Jedi, taught by the Jedi, trained by the Jedi. I’ve lived and breathed Jedi and it’s all I’ve ever been, all I’ve ever known. It was set in stone so early on in my life that I never even gave it a second thought.”

“Sorry, I—”

“No, you don’t have to be sorry Theron. It’s just, it’s like they planned out my entire life for me and no one ever stopped to ask what I wanted. I’ve always simply followed orders, done as I was instructed and told and laid my life down for… for what, really? For people who don’t even respect me or care about me enough to be honest? To offer me a choice?”

Her feet kicked the water before her as she sighed and shook her head “You know, in some ways the Order is as bad as the Sith. The Sith simply take children and force them into training while the Order uses lies and manipulation instead. And they try and strip you from those things that make life worth living. Love, family.”

“Satele’s really done a number on you... “ the sad realization hit Theron as she ranted.

Arielle scoffed “You don’t know the half of it.”

“We’ve got time still by the looks of it, if you want to share?”

She gave him a simple nod and stepped back onto the sand where she sat down to let her feet dry in the sun and Theron joined her as she began to tell him those things she hadn’t before. Her own memories of her childhood, her time spent at the Temple and with the Grand Master, the close connection they once had and all the many occasions in which she’d asked Satele about her parents and family. The ways in which Satele had always denied knowing anything and how betrayed Arielle felt now.

“I’m sorry if hearing this now hurts… I know she never gave you half the time she gave me.” Arielle frowned once she finished telling him everything.

“That’s not your fault and in a way, I’ve always known. The rare few times I did see her as a child, she only ever spoke of Jedi business and constantly praised one of the younglings she seemed rather fond of.”

Theron tried to smile though it never quite reached his eyes “She never mentioned you by name but when she summoned me to Tython a couple of months ago to suggest I bring you on the mission to Korriban… just with the way she spoke of you and seeing you both interact with each other, I kind of put two and two together you know?”

“That doesn’t make it okay. I’ve felt guilty ever since finding out she had a child of her own.”

“Don’t.” Theron took her hand and squeezed it gently “I’d say I turned out alright and Master Zho raised me well. It wasn’t always easy and there’s certain things she’s done that I can’t forgive but I don’t regret or resent my childhood.”

“I’d say you turned out better than alright Theron.”

He opened his mouth to say more but the shuttle that suddenly appeared overhead drowned out his words and they both got up to welcome the last two members of their peculiar team. Arielle dust off her robes and slipped into her boots while mentally preparing herself for a reunion with Quinn, a thing she’d both dreaded and looked forward to ever since her departure from Manaan.

Theron clasped her arm for a brief second as he leaned in “You can do this.”

—————————————————————————————

Half an hour later the odd foursome found themselves trudging along the shores of Rakata Prime on their way to the Temple of the Ancients, a ruined and tall structure which could be seen from miles away. The former and the current Wrath, almost as if they were in a competition for speed, led the charge while Arielle and Quinn lingered behind in awkward silence.

Up ahead a group of Rakatan tribesman awaited them but before Arielle even had a chance to active her blades, both Lord Scourge and Me’ghan had already throw themselves into the pack and furiously engaged in combat. In an odd race to claim most kills, a flurry of their brightly red light-sabers slashed through the ferocious natives and before long all that was left was the pile of bodies they’d amassed.

“She’s fierce…” Arielle commented quietly, the first true words she’d spoken to Quinn beyond a hesitant greeting.

“She is” he nodded and Arielle heard a hint of pride in his voice “And competitive and annoyed.”

“Competitive and annoyed?”

“She filled Lord Scourge’s shoes after he betrayed our Emperor so she’s trying to see if she can measure up to the legends surrounding him. She also strongly feels as though Lord Scourge and yourself know a far greater deal about the Sith Emperor than she does herself which bothers her more than she’ll admit to.”

It wasn’t the topic of discussion he would have chosen but Quinn felt grateful enough that she was talking to him at all. His and Me’ghan’s research into Lord Scourge and Arielle had yielded no answers concerning the Emperor but perhaps now she’d be willing to share her story with him.

“Scourge would know most I guess, he’s served him longer than any other man alive today but the short version? The Emperor was a power hungry monster with plans to destroy every single planet in the galaxy all in order to perform a ritual which would fuel his immortality and expand his own powers. We’d all be dead now if he hadn’t been stopped.”

“You’re serious?” Quinn frowned.

“Yeah. I’ll explain it in greater detail later, if she really wants to know. Let’s just get through this first.”

“Of course my Lord.” the standard and habitual response escaped him before he realized it but served as a decent ice breaker and Arielle let out a chuckle.

“Just Arielle will do…” she hesitated and searched her own feelings before deciding to extend a small gesture to him “Or Eliza, if you’d prefer.”

“I’d like to if it won’t upset you again?”

She gave a small shrug “Let’s try, maybe I’ll warm up to it.”

Quinn nodded as they hurried their pace to catch up to Me’ghan and Lord Scourge who’d already thrown themselves into a new group of Rakatans and Revanites. It wasn’t until another hour into their trek that they found themselves standing behind a set of hatch doors atop the Ancient Temple where Darth Arkous and Colonel Darok were preparing to take off in their shuttle.

“They haven’t gone yet, I sense them both.” Me’ghan pointed out and Arielle nodded.

“As do I but we must hurry and—”

“Wait for us!” Jakarro and Deefour came running to join them hoping to finally exact their deserved revenge and Lord Scourge groaned quietly.

“Enough waiting, let’s go.”

As the doors pulled open the five of them poured out onto the landing platform where they came face to face with Colonel Darok and Darth Arkous once more.

“Tut-tut Arkous, were you really going to leave me without saying goodbye?” Me’ghan smirked as she approached him with her weapons drawn.

“Aww, my dear Wrath I do apologise but you’re just not my type” he played along as he eyed the group of intruders “Your Jedi friend however now she’s far more interesting... It’s a shame she has to die, all of you do.”

Arielle’s eyes shot daggers at the Sith but she knew better than to satisfy his mindless prattling by giving him any sort of reaction.

“Stop messing around Arkous and let’s kill them.” Darok bristled as he cocked his weapons.

“Fine but the Wrath and Jedi are mine.”

Very nice! :)

I'm really glad that Arielle got a chance to talk to Theron, and to apologize. I sensed that she'd been wanting to do that for a long time. I also liked that the conversation got them to realize that they're both in the same sort of position because of Satele. That woman does a number on people...yep, not a fan of Satele. If anyone can relate to that, it's Theron.

Keep it up! :)

It appears that Arielle is trying to come to grips with Quinn which will only serve both of them better in the end. Like, Luna, I am not a big fan of Satele, and it appears that Arielle and Theron can come to an accord on her manipulations although Theron does still defend her, guess it's that blood thicker than water thing. Zho was probably best to take over his upbringing anyway to keep him out of mommy's clutches. I do wonder how much control Arielle will be able to maintain in the heat of battle, however. That remains to be seen I guess, I am just glad that Scourge is there.

Nicely done. :)

I'm all caught up!

First I just want to reiterate how good the writing and dialogue are. The characters feel real and their voices sound natural. I believe in them as people and can get behind each of their motivations.

Secondly, I want to comment again on all the complex connections you've built, both between your story and in-game events, as well as the characters and their relationships. It's fascinating to watch Arielle/Eliza learn about heritage and ancestry, her connection to Quinn, etc. It's also really interesting seeing the Prelude to Shadow of Revan play out (alternating between the background and foreground) in your story.

There have definitely been some exciting - and shocking - revelations. I too did not see what happened with Nox coming at all. I knew Caerna had possessed her, but I never dreamed Caerna would be working with Revan or that Revan would off her so brutally.

The only hiccup I felt while reading - and this is probably a matter of personal taste as I understand many people do not like the character I'm about to talk about - was Satele's portrayal. I'm not a particularly big fan of Satele's, and totally agree that she is a hypocrite in some big ways. That said, when Satele was confronted with the opportunity of revealing the Arielle's history, it seemed like she chose to conceal the truth out of some need to cover up a crime/her personal shame. I could understand Satele doing what she did out of some sense that it would serve the greater good somehow, but having her lie to Arielle because she wanted to hide her mistake seemed just a toe outside the character I felt I've gotten to know over the course of the class stories/expansions.

That said, my understanding of Satele's character is my own and I definitely appreciate that other people can have different ones. And ultimately, the above was only a tiny, miniscule hiccup for me in what otherwise has been a thoroughly enjoyable and compelling story.

Many kudos! Definitely looking forward to see what's next!

I'm all caught up!

First I just want to reiterate how good the writing and dialogue are. The characters feel real and their voices sound natural. I believe in them as people and can get behind each of their motivations.

Secondly, I want to comment again on all the complex connections you've built, both between your story and in-game events, as well as the characters and their relationships. It's fascinating to watch Arielle/Eliza learn about heritage and ancestry, her connection to Quinn, etc. It's also really interesting seeing the Prelude to Shadow of Revan play out (alternating between the background and foreground) in your story.

There have definitely been some exciting - and shocking - revelations. I too did not see what happened with Nox coming at all. I knew Caerna had possessed her, but I never dreamed Caerna would be working with Revan or that Revan would off her so brutally.

The only hiccup I felt while reading - and this is probably a matter of personal taste as I understand many people do not like the character I'm about to talk about - was Satele's portrayal. I'm not a particularly big fan of Satele's, and totally agree that she is a hypocrite in some big ways. That said, when Satele was confronted with the opportunity of revealing the Arielle's history, it seemed like she chose to conceal the truth out of some need to cover up a crime/her personal shame. I could understand Satele doing what she did out of some sense that it would serve the greater good somehow, but having her lie to Arielle because she wanted to hide her mistake seemed just a toe outside the character I felt I've gotten to know over the course of the class stories/expansions.

That said, my understanding of Satele's character is my own and I definitely appreciate that other people can have different ones. And ultimately, the above was only a tiny, miniscule hiccup for me in what otherwise has been a thoroughly enjoyable and compelling story.

Many kudos! Definitely looking forward to see what's next!

Heya! Glad to see you finally caught up and thank you so much for the feedback, it really brings a smile to my face! I often still doubt every word that leaves my fingers, second and third guess entire chapters and scrap some entirely so this makes me happy! :)

Satele is a difficult subject for many I think. Some love her, others can't stand her and I'm caught between both. Early on in-game she doesn't bother me much, it isn't until much later when meeting Theron and hearing him talk of her, seeing how she refers to him as 'her Agent' rather than something a little warmer at least.. that my personal opinion of her takes a turn for the worse, lol. It makes me feel like, when pushed she'll go to great lengths to hide her own personal attachments. To hide her own 'flaws', as she sees them since Jedi aren't meant to form attachments. In this story, in Arielle's case, Satele's become far more attached to Arielle than she should have when the latter was still a toddler/child and in a way has a selfish fear that if Arielle ever knew the truth of both her heritage as well as Satele's secrecy, she'll lose her entirely as she mentions in the diary entry, as well as later on when Arielle tells her of her Malgus memory and Satele loses her courage to be truthful. There's some, rocky roads ahead still.

And I'm not disputing your view of Satele, nor the hiccup which I absolutely understand. I think in some ways she's a character who despite everything is very open to our own interpretation of her, like there's gaps in her history, in her personality that can be filled by our own view of her. If that makes sense. Underlying meanings behind her words which can be taken the wrong way but don't have to be. Don't think I've villainized her half as much as some people have though, right? :D *points at Luna*

As for everything else, I'm thrilled you enjoyed it and are enjoying it. Feedback and the opinion of others means everything to me, I put a lot of value to it so thank you once again! :)

Underlying meanings behind her words which can be taken the wrong way but don't have to be. Don't think I've villainized her half as much as some people have though, right? :D *points at Luna*

Yah...I took my share of flack because some of my readers were real Satele (and for that matter Jace) fans, so they didn't appreciate many of the things I did to their characters. I never felt that I did anything that was beyond what they were capable of...like some were upset about what I did with Jace...but then in Annihilation, one of Satele's reasons for not telling him about Theron was that 'he had a lot of darkness in him' and she clearly didn't trust the man's influence, at least not when it came to Theron. I always like to think that the things that happened between Liatrix and Satele weren't out of character given the breakdown in their relationship. And perhaps most of all, I was writing the story from and Imperial/Sith centric and sympathetic POV....the Republic might be the good guys, but to the 'bad guys' they're the bad guys, y'know? :)

Edited by Lunafox

Yah...I took my share of flack because some of my readers were real Satele (and for that matter Jace) fans, so they didn't appreciate many of the things I did to their characters. I never felt that I did anything that was beyond what they were capable of...like some were upset about what I did with Jace...but then in Annihilation, one of Satele's reasons for not telling him about Theron was that 'he had a lot of darkness in him' and she clearly didn't trust the man's influence, at least not when it came to Theron. I always like to think that the things that happened between Liatrix and Satele weren't out of character given the breakdown in their relationship. And perhaps most of all, I was writing the story from and Imperial/Sith centric and sympathetic POV....the Republic might be the good guys, but to the 'bad guys' they're the bad guys, y'know? :)

Right. :) My thing with Satele is that despite what's established in-game, there's still a lot left open as well in terms of what she may be capable of 'off screen' so to speak.

In this case she's a woman who gave up her own son at birth, due to her dedication to the Jedi but who's also kind of kept him in her closet full of skeletons all his life. Not to a full extend, there is some familiarity and attempts at bonding (before departing from Rishi in-game) but in other ways she treats him as nothing more than a random Republic soldier. A stranger which to me shows she invests a lot in hiding her attachments and from that point onward, I took the route I did when it concerns her bond with Arielle which to me doesn't seem too far fetched in that case.

Still Wang, I do respect your point of view as well. I just love debates too especially where Satele's concerned. ;) And I yap a lot, it's a flaw.. I think.

And Luna, I never once minded what you did to her in your story. I delighted in it actually, or my inner Sith did anyways. My nicer side was shocked but it worked. And I haven't read Annihilation yet unfortunately BUT... my in-laws gave me a massive Amazon Giftcard so I've just ordered it a few days ago along with the SWTOR Encyclopedia. I'm stoked as hell. :D

Edited by JennyFlynn

Right. :) My thing with Satele is that despite what's established in-game, there's still a lot left open as well in terms of what she may be capable of 'off screen' so to speak.

In this case she's a woman who gave up her own son at birth, due to her dedication to the Jedi but who's also kind of kept him in her closet full of skeletons all his life. Not to a full extend, there is some familiarity and attempts at bonding (before departing from Rishi in-game) but in other ways she treats him as nothing more than a random Republic soldier. A stranger which to me shows she invests a lot in hiding her attachments and from that point onward, I took the route I did when it concerns her bond with Arielle which to me doesn't seem too far fetched in that case.

Still Wang, I do respect your point of view as well. I just love debates too especially where Satele's concerned. ;) And I yap a lot, it's a flaw.. I think.

And Luna, I never once minded what you did to her in your story. I delighted in it actually, or my inner Sith did anyways. My nicer side was shocked but it worked. And I haven't read Annihilation yet unfortunately BUT... my in-laws gave me a massive Amazon Giftcard so I've just ordered it a few days ago along with the SWTOR Encyclopedia. I'm stoked as hell. :D

I think you'll love it! It's a great book, and the Encyclopedia is nothing short of beautiful. You've made some great choices there. Lucky you, I wish my MIL would give me a gift card for books :D Also Deceived is a great choice too, if you're interested in Malgus.

The whole purpose for fan fiction as far as I'm concerned is to explore things that you're curious about, that aren't necessarily addressed. As you say, Satele has demons and secrets, but she does do an interesting job at keeping them hidden in the dark. In all honestly I enjoy seeing Star Wars from the perspective of 'the bad guy'. We've had so much story from 'the good guys' that I think the bad guys need some attention. They're endlessly fascinating.

A/N;

Found this one a bit tricky.. in-game, obviously Darok and Arkous are like, serious bosses with a ton of HP but I can't exactly put that in fiction as a reason for a 5 on 2 fight to be 'hard' where you have 3 strong Force users taking on 1 Sith and a Colonel :rolleyes: .. guess some superiority on their part has to be taken on faith but I do hope the Chapter's enjoyable regardless.

32: That Which Won’t be Denied.

Sparks flew across the landing pad at the roof tops of the Ancient Temple which served as their personal battlefield. Lord Scourge fended off repeated blaster bolts from the Colonel’s canon as Malavai Quinn stepped into the Sith’s shadow and fired off several rounds from his own guns. Jakarro charged in from behind and Darok barely managed an escape as he ducked and rolled past his assailants to reposition himself, now facing all three of them.

Nearby, Darth Arkous engaged in a tango with Arielle and Me’ghan skillfully avoiding the tips of their blades at every turn as he glided across the platform. He splayed his fingers and channeled his full mastery of the Force in both their directions momentarily bringing the two women down to their knees.

Though both Revanites were outnumbered in the face of their five opponents, their strength fueled by sheer devotion to their cause seemed to make for that fact.

“You could send a hundred men and you still wouldn’t stop us.” Darok growled reloading his canon.

The deafening rattles of his weapon firing off multiple rounds rang across the rooftop once more and while Arielle strained against Arkous’ assaults, she couldn’t help but glance sideways out of concern for her allies. The lapse of focus cost her when the Darth hit her with another wave of crackling Force lightning which paralyzed her entire body causing her to drop the lightsabers she held to the ground.

Her screams of agony fueled Me’ghan’s anger and she propelled herself forward “We’ve already destroyed your infinite army and I’ll die before I’ll ever let you fulfill your foul plans!”

With her activated blades humming eagerly almost as if they thirsted for blood, Me’ghan landed on her feet right before Darth Arkous and she ran the searing tips through both his shoulders demanding he release Arielle immediately.

“And die you will!” he spat furiously and focused his strengths inwards to built up all the power he held.

While Lord Scourge danced around Darok deflecting every single shot the man fired, Malavai Quinn darted off to the side and tucked into a roll. He found his footing again behind the Colonel and spun around before aiming his own pistols at Darok’s hands.

Jakarro lunged at his former tormentor from the other side and wedged the sharp end of his sword between the narrow openings of Darok’s armor.

Darok screamed, a small sliver of blood dripping down the corner of his mouth as the joined assault caused him to lose control of his situation quickly. Another one of Quinn’s pistol blasts pierced the back of his hand and the canon he’d held fell.

Quickly, Lord Scourge kicked the weapon far aside before placing his lightsaber against Darok’s throat “Surrender.” he demanded in a hiss.

Arkous, having witnessed his partner’s defeat, drew on all the fury he held within himself before finally unleashing the full force of power he’d been fueling. He roared in hatred and Arielle, Me’ghan, Lord Scourge, Malavai and Jakarro all suddenly found themselves thrown back to the furthest edges of the platform and held there by Arkous’ infuriated will.

“You. Will. Not. Stop. Us!”

Bright purple chains emanated from the Darth and linked to his five opponents, crippling every single one of them as he forced them into submission and slowly backed up to his partner “Now Darok.”

The Colonel shot forward and picked his canon back up, fighting through the pain of his own injuries as he took aim once more. He glanced at the two men and brass Wookie who’d assaulted him earlier before fixating on Malavai Quinn, deciding the Imperial deserved the first shot as punishment for disarming him.

“Finish them Darok now, I can’t hold out for much longer!” Arkous yelled in anger, the strain of keeping all five of them subdued slowly wearing him down.

“Now you die.” Darok threatened and narrowed his eyes on Quinn.

“Noo!” Me’ghan cried out and panted trying hard to fight through Arkous’ hold.

Lord Scourge fought equally hard against the Force powered restraints and drew upon the Dark side to empower himself. He felt it coil inside, rising up slowly and then it was gone again. A small gasp escaped his lips and he frowned, confused until he felt a far superior and darker force surge from the opposite side of their makeshift arena.

Arkous’ eyes widened as Arielle slowly rose to her feet, fully entranced in a haze of darkness wrapped all around her. Her usual sparkling blues made way for fiercely glowing red irises instead and she slowly strolled towards the duo ignoring every single energy wave channeled in her direction by Darth Arkous.

“Impossible…” he gasped in shock and Darok spun around, curiously wondering what suddenly demanded everyone’s intention.

Then he saw her too, bathed in murky darkness and he smirked “I knew it, you’re not Jedi at all.”

“Silence.” Arielle hissed, her voice distorted by that which held her in a thrall.

Me’ghan felt a shiver run down her spine as she watched the Jedi in awe. A small wave of Arielle’s hand ended Arkous’ assault on her remaining four partners and Me’ghan instantly rushed over to Quinn’s side.

A devious smile lingered on Arielle’s face as she drew nearer the two Revanites and circled the men slowly, sizing them both up with a look of pure disdain before she took a few steps back again.

The darkness which had taken her over churned and twisted inside of her controlling every aspect of her being. Arielle tilted her head, eyeing the Colonel and his Sith partner for a moment and she licked her lips.

“Bye.”

Agonizing screams which begged to be heard died out in their throats before ever making it past their lips as the flames which suddenly appeared underneath their feet immediately began to consume them both. The vast fire tore at their armor and clothing, burned through skin and incinerated their bones until all that remained was a smoldering pile of ashes on the floor.

A chilling silence followed and everyone looked to Arielle in pure shock. Even Lord Scourge felt shaken by what he’d just witnessed and though he’d seen it with his very own eyes, he had a hard time comprehending what the Jedi he knew so well had just done.

“Arielle…” he breathed in a whisper.

She stood motionless simply gazing down at the pile of ashes and then she gasped. The swirling darkness which had surrounded her vanished into thin air as her eyes returned to their original shade and then she collapsed.

Jakarro roared and Deefour began to prattle off a translation “Jakarro would like you all to know this fight could have been over a lot sooner if she’d just done that in the first place.”

“Shut it droid.” Lord Scourge spat as he dashed over to where Arielle lay.

Me’ghan and Quinn rushed in behind him as he knelt down and lifted her head onto his lap.

“Is she…?” Quinn didn’t dare say the words but Lord Scourge shook his head.

“She’s merely unconscious.”

“How…” Me’ghan still stared in disbelief “I mean, what was that?”

“Her unique power which appears to be less of a gift, given the price it demands. She’s completely drained.” Lord Scourge wrapped Arielle into his arms and patted her cheeks gently to try and bring her back.

“That never happened when she was little.” Quinn knelt down beside them and frowned.

“She’s not little anymore. The emotions she tries to fight now are far stronger and the darkness within her has grown vast. It's getting worse the more she denies it.”

“We should inform Lana and Theron, tell them what happened and find a way out of here.” Me’ghan turned around and headed for the communications console.

While Me’ghan quickly established contact with their allies aboard Jakarro’s ship, Lord Scourge lift Arielle into his arms and was about to make for Darok and Arkous’ readied shuttle when a sudden presence in the Force halted his step.

“I sense something… we’re in danger.” Lana called out.

“Revan.” Lord Scourge glared upwards at the ships which appeared and not a second later the enlarged holo image of his former ally projected above them.

“Well now. You’re the last person I expected to find here.” Revan smirked at the Pureblood.

“Why are you doing this Revan?!” Me’ghan demanded.

“You’ll all find out soon enough” the figure gloated “You may have put an end to my army but I still have plenty other weapons in my arsenal.”

Revan turned back to Lord Scourge and let his eyes fall on the frail woman he clung onto “Another victim of your betrayal, old friend?”

“The Jedi I saw in a vision when it became clear our endeavor would fail. She’s done what you couldn’t Revan, your fight’s over let this go.”

“You’re wrong Scourge and I will prove it,” Revan threatened “if you survive this…”

He disappeared as quickly as he’d appeared earlier and Lana yelled out to them “They’re powering up weapons! Get out of there, now!”

The Temple shook and they all ran for the shuttle Darok and Arkous had intended to take. Malavai quickly climbed behind the controls “Strap in tight, this is going to be a challenge.”

Jakarro grunted as he tried to fit his large frame into the shuttle alongside the others and Lord Scourge held Arielle close, securing a seat belt around them both. The doors closed with a hiss and Me’ghan dove to the front in order to help Quinn navigate the vehicle away from the collapsing Temple.

They made it, barely as Revan’s fleet jumped into hyperspace followed by Jakarro’s freighter.

“Manaan?” Quinn opened a connection with Lana and Theron.

“Manaan, we’ll meet you there.”

I was wondering how Arielle would react under the pressure of battle, this provided the answer, quite vividly, nicely done. I did note that Scourge's darkside power seemed to have failed him, a side effect of his being healed or perhaps that he has allowed himself to love Arielle? Makes me wonder just how jealous the dark and light sides really are. An interesting dilemma. I now question how Arielle will respond to the power of this new darkness and losing control to it. Looking forward to the answers. :)