I'm in love with the PVP jumping beans

Icykill_

Ever noticed how there is always one or two players on a team that bounce up and down all match? More often than not they are healers.

Well I've fallen in love with them, they make my job so much easier to follow them, you don't even need to use focus or target symbols, just follow the bean :p

Lots of people say this is an effective way to stop some abilities from hitting them. I've honestly never seen it help them against me or any of the other people I regularly play with.

So please keep jumping, especially if you're a healer ;)

Ever noticed how there is always one or two players on a team that bounce up and down all match? More often than not they are healers.

Well I've fallen in love with them, they make my job so much easier to follow them, you don't even need to use focus or target symbols, just follow the bean :p

Lots of people say this is an effective way to stop some abilities from hitting them. I've honestly never seen it help them against me or any of the other people I regularly play with.

So please keep jumping, especially if you're a healer ;)

I think these players are bringing this presumption with them from other games. In Rift "bunny hopping" actually did make it much more difficult to hit them, all due to a glitch or bug with the game. Holy cow you should have seen all the bunny hopping going on in that game. But, like you, I haven't seen it work at all for them in TOR. They still die as easily as if they were just standing there.

But, like you, I haven't seen it work at all for them in TOR. They still die as easily as if they were just standing there.

I always get cravings for jelly beans or jelly bellies when I see them doing it.. I'm eating way to many :D

I don't notice it from healers.

but it is a technique that close quarter melee use to circumvent punts from ranged players and healers. if you get punted vertically instead of horizontally, the punt fails to provide separation from the opponent, and he doesn't have to burn a cd (e.g., roll, sprint, etc.) in order to close the gap again.

although every melee has at least 2 closers in 4.0, so it's less important (in swtor) than it used to be. I end up doing it on my merc a lot just out of habit from the scrapper and sin. it's also really easy to do on the scrapper b/c the game was basically 1 move from stealth and then the same 2 attacks spammed with a few more keys for cds. honestly, fewer keys than the PT. but w/e. waay of topic now.

Edited by foxmob

Apart from the knockback thing, jumping also refreshes your position with the server, which is useful when you are kiting and keeping just outside the 30m rang,e especially for players with high ping. This basically means that sometimes the attack won't hit you because you left the effective range.

I also jump to get a better look around an obstacle (like a wall) becuawe my cameray is way zoomed out.

Anyhow, I don't do it all the time, because it is silly and, as Icy said, draws attention.

I don't notice it from healers.

but it is a technique that close quarter melee use to circumvent punts from ranged players and healers. if you get punted vertically instead of horizontally, the punt fails to provide separation from the opponent, and he doesn't have to burn a cd (e.g., roll, sprint, etc.) in order to close the gap again.

although every melee has at least 2 closers in 4.0, so it's less important (in swtor) than it used to be. I end up doing it on my merc a lot just out of habit from the scrapper and sin. it's also really easy to do on the scrapper b/c the game was basically 1 move from stealth and then the same 2 attacks spammed with a few more keys for cds. honestly, fewer keys than the PT. but w/e. waay of topic now.

Yup^ why I jump I usually get knocked up not out and come right back down.

well, i dont play healer at all, but jumping helps with my leap sometimes, really, if cant reach a target because of a small wall or such, just jump and leap mid air, it works, as the game literally makes the toon see beyond the wall.

People also jump when there's a good passing opportunity in huttball, to try to grab the ball carrier's attention.

- Unfortunately this is hampered by people who habitually jump, or people who can't or won't pass. ( cozTunnel vision or DoT-ted and CC'd to death)

IMHO Kangaroos are just annoying.:rak_04:

Edited by Storm-Cutter

Icy, it's a strafe thing. I don't do it but I know ppl who mouse turn but use the keyboard to strafe. To avoid stopping when you use an action, you jump to keep your momentum, hit your keybind, and continue strafing. A friend who played a lot of WOW told me that this was what I needed to do if I really wanted to be elite. And then I laughed at him. Because he plays WOW.

i got a bad habit of jumping when playing melee classes..like jump on my execute on target..or jump when i use vicious throw or dispatch..

the funniest thing to see is sages and sorcs backpaddling while jumping in the air like they have uber skill..those are the idiots i go for 1st to kill..same for commandos and mercs with the backpaddling jump..

i got a bad habit of jumping when playing melee classes..like jump on my execute on target..or jump when i use vicious throw or dispatch..

the funniest thing to see is sages and sorcs backpaddling while jumping in the air like they have uber skill..those are the idiots i go for 1st to kill..same for commandos and mercs with the backpaddling jump..

lol forgot I do that on my merc sometimes, when I know the next shot of burst is going to kill them I usually jump right after I hit it.

Icy, it's a strafe thing. I don't do it but I know ppl who mouse turn but use the keyboard to strafe. To avoid stopping when you use an action, you jump to keep your momentum, hit your keybind, and continue strafing. A friend who played a lot of WOW told me that this was what I needed to do if I really wanted to be elite. And then I laughed at him. Because he plays WOW.

This exactly.

This exactly.

that actually works? everytime I try to do anything in the air it kills all "forward momentum" (not that I'm necessarily running forward).

umm. I didn't articulate that well. what I mean is jumping always slows me down. that's why I'd rather side step stuff than jump if it's just a little 45 degree tweak for a second.

edit: while I'm thinking about actions that slow me down...why on god's green earth do operatives think it's remotely useful to grp stealth the team exiting NC or CW spawn area? that slows me down at a time where you're literally racing the other team to the node. :(

Edited by foxmob

The honest and blunt answer is this: It's simply nerves and boredom. There could be a strange psychological reason behind it as well, like it gives us a sense of control in such an uncontrolled environment; ie "You may stun me a thousand times and kill me (cannot control), but you can never take away my sweet Jumps (can control)"

edit: while I'm thinking about actions that slow me down...why on god's green earth do operatives think it's remotely useful to grp stealth the team exiting NC or CW spawn area? that slows me down at a time where you're literally racing the other team to the node. :(

Even better when you just blew your +80% Trans/Pred out of the gate (especially huttball) and your scoundrel decides to smuggle your team...thanks buddy.

On topic; I do this whenever i get bored in matches, particularly on a ranged class. I think it's a habit I picked up hopping around on fleet waiting for queues to pop....

I start jumping as a healer when there's nothing to heal. So I can just casually bubble people and use basic heals and keep everyone up while also jumping and turning.

But what does that achieve except allow us to track you easier?

Plus, if you have nothing to heal, how about lending a hand and DPSing a bit ;)

well, i dont play healer at all, but jumping helps with my leap sometimes, really, if cant reach a target because of a small wall or such, just jump and leap mid air, it works, as the game literally makes the toon see beyond the wall.

That's probably the best reason to jump and really the only logical one as far as performance is concerned. 99% of leap classes jump when they want to leap. But they don't turn into Mexican jumping beans all match

Oh, I understand that part, I do that myself occassionally, especially if there are obstacles I get stuck on. What I'm describing are the jumpers that aren't turning, aren't straffing... Just using pogo sticks

that actually works? everytime I try to do anything in the air it kills all "forward momentum" (not that I'm necessarily running forward).

umm. I didn't articulate that well. what I mean is jumping always slows me down. that's why I'd rather side step stuff than jump if it's just a little 45 degree tweak for a second.

Omg yes,... That group stealth thing is annoying... It is a tactical ability and shouldn't be used like that... It completely negates my ability to get on target first or draw enemies away