The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Game has died, Nowhere to go

MadCuzBad

Didn't this game rate in the top 5 MMO's that make the most money?:rak_02:

It did, but that can be squeezed into whatever narrative the whingers will want. As I said before... 55k+ views and 118 pages on a 3 week old forum post about the game being dead... sure, got it.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't this game rate in the top 5 MMO's that make the most money?:rak_02:

Yes it did. And was popular discussion recently. :)

But pointing that out makes a few heads explode because it is counter to their narrative of the game being dead. So expect to get this fact refuted by flying backside-issued ammo. :p

But pointing that out makes a few heads explode because it is counter to their narrative of the game being dead. So expect to get this fact refuted by flying backside-issued ammo. :p

Much like how people said WoW is dead when its still the top money making MMO in the world?

It did, but that can be squeezed into whatever narrative the whingers will want. As I said before... 55k+ views and 118 pages on a 3 week old forum post about the game being dead... sure, got it.

Yep.

In fairness though... I think that at least 40 thousand of those thread views are all from the OP, as he continues to try to fluff the thread for personal fame. :p

Yep.

In fairness though... I think that at least 40 thousand of those thread views are all from the OP, as he continues to try to fluff the thread for personal fame. :p

I'm fairly sure, though not really, at all... those are unique views. Screw it, either way, its indicative of a "non-dead" forum at least :D

"The game is dead" is usually a sentence that translates roughly to "I'm not getting what *I* personally want out of this game" followed by something like this.

Until all servers actually shut down permanently and BW tells us "It's been fun kids!", I'm not going to worry too much.

To be fair their wasn't exactly a whole lot of competition, not to mention it wasn't in the best category that suited what the game actually is. Not to mention this game has the second most famous IP in the world riding on it and had a recent expansion. None the less impressive however, but now they got to prove they belong there.

"The game is dead" is usually a sentence that translates roughly to "I'm not getting what *I* personally want out of this game" followed by something like this.

Until all servers actually shut down permanently and BW tells us "It's been fun kids!", I'm not going to worry too much.

I am getting what I personally want. PVP has been good on Harbringer. It was amazing but has tailed off last few 4-6 weeks. What I am saying is that if Bioware does not do something quickly, that is on borrowed time.

The ONLY and I mean ONLY reason it is good is because Harbringer is sucking the life out of every remaining server as we speak. And as the lights go out on the remaining servers as you might have noticed slowly but surely at some point Harbringer will too.

My humble opinion is that the 1 and only possible permanent solution to the problem is incorporating server to server ques. My understanding is that the game engine they chose to use can not support that option. Or the other thing, which would only put a bandage on a serious hemorrhage would be setting up a mega server sooner than later. The longer they go without a mega server, the more frustrated players will leave the game.

I am sounding the alarm of what is coming up around the curve. I am explaining why it is coming because it is predictable at the present course. I am trying to get the attention to the powers to be to get their heads out of their asses and prepare for evasive action sooner than later. This dead server issue happens to a server very quickly. Quicker than most people realize if you haven't came from one of these servers. I have been thru 3 server mergers and 1 voluntary move from POT5. I speak from experience that these servers implode and an astonishing rate. One minute there are que times to get to play, the next minute 30 people on 1 instance of fleet.

When I was moved to POT5 there was a que time to get to play at peak times. That server was robust. It was literally breath taking how quickly the life was sucked out of that server. And the same story for the 3 other servers before that one.

If you would have read earlier I changed my mind. Is there a problem with that? You seem to be concerned that I am still here.

Just hoping for some quite on the forums. Without your PvP is the only part of the game that matter post.

I am getting what I personally want. PVP has been good on Harbringer. It was amazing but has tailed off last few 4-6 weeks. What I am saying is that if Bioware does not do something quickly, that is on borrowed time.

The ONLY and I mean ONLY reason it is good is because Harbringer is sucking the life out of every remaining server as we speak. And as the lights go out on the remaining servers as you might have noticed slowly but surely at some point Harbringer will too.

My humble opinion is that the 1 and only possible permanent solution to the problem is incorporating server to server ques. My understanding is that the game engine they chose to use can not support that option. Or the other thing, which would only put a bandage on a serious hemorrhage would be setting up a mega server sooner than later. The longer they go without a mega server, the more frustrated players will leave the game.

I am sounding the alarm of what is coming up around the curve. I am explaining why it is coming because it is predictable at the present course. I am trying to get the attention to the powers to be to get their heads out of their asses and prepare for evasive action sooner than later. This dead server issue happens to a server very quickly. Quicker than most people realize if you haven't came from one of these servers. I have been thru 3 server mergers and 1 voluntary move from POT5. I speak from experience that these servers implode and an astonishing rate. One minute there are que times to get to play, the next minute 30 people on 1 instance of fleet.

When I was moved to POT5 there was a que time to get to play at peak times. That server was robust. It was literally breath taking how quickly the life was sucked out of that server. And the same story for the 3 other servers before that one.

I won't doubt the things you say you've experienced as I've never set foot on a PvP server myself nor have I been around long enough to see any server collapse period. I can also understand your concern/fear for a repeat of what you've seen happen in the past, that part makes sense.

Your main subject though, the impending demise of PvP/PvP servers as you see it, is but one aspect of the game entirely. A far better thread/post would have been "I have genuine concerns regarding the future of PvP" or something along those lines and maturely backing that statement up with your own experiences. By generalizing the matter as "Game has died" and engaging in heated debates, you yourself have helped derail the thread to such a degree that no BW employee is even going to look at it twice and actually show understanding for your concerns which, if I understood your post correctly, is something you'd like to achieve. The attention from BW for this issue.

I won't claim you're wrong and lying, I'm not even dismissing your concerns but I do think there could have been a smarter way of approaching the matter and actually receiving positive and fruitful attention for something you see as a problem.

It actually does. 8 servers. Most of them ghost towns. Harbringer is the goto server. Harbringer is draining the life out of other servers to the point of useless. Overall population down.

Ok so what data exactly are you looking for? If you need a computer analysis to show you that, then I am afraid you have much bigger problems then trying to win a debate on the SWTOR forums my friend.

What data? Well dead/died = no one at all playing. Dieing = player numbers drastically decreasing to the point of it reaching dead. Ghost town = no one at all on that server playing.

Those are all statements you've used and not once managed to provide supporting evidence for ... not even anecdotal evidence.

I know the games not dead because it's still up and people are still playing it, logging in proves this.

I know it's not in the process of dieing because I can loginevery day, find groups, sell items ... all the stuff I've been doing for years now.

I know it's not a ghost town because I see people chatting in almost every instance, I see people in many instances of all sorts in the who window etc. etc.

That is supporting evidence contrary to your "game is dead/dieing/ghost town" ********.

Now I can say this ... the amount of people playing SEEMS to have dropped from 6 months ago. However there still SEEMS to be more people playing than this time last year where I noted it being the toughest time ever to do what I do above ( grouping, selling items ).

Thus if the game was in worse shape last year and recovered nicely then suffice to say it will have no issue bouncing back from the SMALLER lull in participation ... providing of course Bioware have something up their sleeve for after this KoTFE season which I'm sure they do.

The game is dieing admittedly when they state they aren't producing anymore new content. Then you can make topics like this and know you are indeed correct, until then ... you're full of ****.

Well, while I agree the game isn't dead, 4 servers going above "light" population on a AAA MMO isn't something to really brag about. Especially give "light", "standard" and "heavy" are arbitrary. We don't know what even constitutes "heavy" for these servers.

I say judge it on personal experience ...

I can always do what I want to do in a group pug sense or a guild sense. If thing were dire this would become an issue like it was last year where it nigh impossible to find an OP pug or get a HM FP pop for my APAC timezone.

I have no issue selling GTN items daily as I've done for years, I now consider 20 mill a day to be a low day ... over time the amount I make a day goes up so when this starts dropping back I'll take that as a key indicator that something is amiss but that's yet to occur.

The OP comes from a PVP sense and this whole topic is a masked "wah wah PVP isn't as popular on all servers as I want it to be" but let's be brutally honest here ... PVP in this game sucks in how it's designed. It's never going to be super popular. I mean gear grinding just to have a casual PVP match? Pass, can't be bothered. If it were just queue up and play and someone having better gear than you wasn't a deciding factor it would be infinitely more popular.

Plus it competes in the PVP arena against the likes of MOBA's and FPS games ... PVP is a lost cause in this game and this veiled PVP cry fest of a topic disguised as "the game is dieing" doesn't change this point.

At some point the sun will expand and our planet will be more ... got any other insightful prophecies Nostradamus?

My humble opinion is that the 1 and only possible permanent solution to the problem is incorporating server to server ques.

The majority don't like PVP, that might make PVP queues better but won't do a lick of good for the longevity of the game. This is where your narrow view of "If PVP is dead the game must be dead" shines through.

Also the problem with cross server queuing that people always ignore is latency but hey let's pretend it's a simple fix and Bioware are just ignoring it because they can't be bothered, dreams are free n all that.

My understanding is that the game engine they chose to use can not support that option. Or the other thing, which would only put a bandage on a serious hemorrhage would be setting up a mega server sooner than later. The longer they go without a mega server, the more frustrated players will leave the game.

No doubt this will occur if and when it is deemed neccessary i.e. a roi on a server isn't worth keeping the server up. This has yet to occur else the servers wouldn't be up. Believe it or not Bioware/EA aren't in the habit of wasting money and keep servers up just to try prove you wrong ... they're more like madcuzwho?

i.e. PVP isn't popular in this game and people interest in PVP are finding better games for PVP all the time.

Context is important.

The ones that rise above standard each day are the traditionally PvE servers. Their is one that stays light right now (Begeren Colony) but that really means little. I play that server a lot and it's plenty active and nowhere near dead. And for the first 4 months after KoTFE dropped, Begeren login activity went up by more then 50%.

The three that never rise above light status even after an expac drops are the three traditionally PvP servers. And if you understand context, you know that this is largely because once again PvP players abanonded their servers and in this last cycle transferred to Harbinger.

If one were to take time actually looking at long term trend data on either the NA or EU server farms, you would see that total active population is about where it was this time last year and the year before that. Pretty stable actually year over year. The regional population view on torstatus has a really nice long term trend graph at the bottom which you can move a little red window around and look at what is going on overall in NA and EU at any point in time since torstatus went live. The lull in activity this many months after an expac is pretty normal. What IS different from last year and the year before is where the active players are located. With 90cc transfers, a lot of people are moving around from server to server to find what fits them best... which is actually a healthy thing.

Also, one of the true fallacies of this entire thread is basing "dead" on the server load status flags. What matters is not how many people are logged in at one time, but rather how many active players are on a server. Not everyone is logged in at one time and not everyone logs in every day. Believe it or not, people have real lives which for many tend to throttle when they play and how much.

I sort of gave up on year on year torstatus metrics after someone pointed out in another thread the server capacity rise we got just after KoTFE more or less totally skews these figures. It's find to analyse the trend since that point but year on year won't work due to skewed data.

I note how if you look at this year vs last year the "light" stats are far higher this year yet the game feels much more alive ( in that I can actually play the content i want to play unlike last year ) which didn't make sense until that was pointed out.

YMMV

I sort of gave up on year on year torstatus metrics after someone pointed out in another thread the server capacity rise we got just after KoTFE more or less totally skews these figures.

True, but nothing we can do about it. At least we have a continuing source that records the data long term so that we do not have to rely on endless hyperbole about some guy who logged in and said there was nobody on the server (but neglects to tell us it was 3:00 AM server time on an abandoned PvP server).

Besides, the fact that they increased capacities after KoTFE went live just argues more in favor of this thread topic being flat wrong. :D

Edited by Andryah

My humble opinion is that the 1 and only possible permanent solution to the problem is incorporating server to server ques.

You cannot have it both ways MCB... at least not in full view of sane and observant forum members.

On the one hand you claim that everyone still PvPing is converging rapidly onto one server... The Harbinger, where you freely admit it is active and you are getting your needs met in PvP activity.

Then you come back to this statement above.. that the only solution to your "dead" declaration is that they need to have cross server queues.

If all relevant and remaining PvP is on The Harbinger.. exactly what good would be achieved by inserting cross server queuing?

Stop spreading peanut butter on both sides of your bread. It's silly, and it makes you look silly IMO. On the other hand, when you drop it, as you often do, it is fun to watch you try to pick it up off the kitchen floor. :p

Edited by Andryah

You cannot have it both ways MCB... at least not in full view of sane and observant forum members.

On the one hand you claim that everyone still PvPing is converging rapidly onto one server... The Harbinger, where you freely admit it is active and you are getting your needs met in PvP activity.

Then you come back to this statement above.. that the only solution to your "dead" declaration is that they need to have cross server queues.

If all relevant and remaining PvP is on The Harbinger.. exactly what good would be achieved by inserting cross server queuing?

Stop spreading peanut butter on both sides of your bread. It's silly, and it makes you look silly IMO. On the other hand, when you drop it, as you often do, it is fun to watch you try to pick it up off the kitchen floor. :p

Not to mention, ping would suck on cross server queues and make pvp pretty miserable for a lot of people.

Stop taking little sound bites out of an entire thread. Read the whole response I left and not 1 little line and I explain everything you are asking. A sentence taken out of context is a pre text.

/spaghetti tossing spotted.

Sorry, it may stick to the wall in your fantasy world, but in the real world most players know your statement is simply unsupported by evidence.

If anything, the anecdotal evidence from new players who post in the forum is that they started F2P, got hooked and then subbed. This comment is seen rather often when topics like this come up.

yeah.... look at all those servers filling up. You got me..

Not to mention, ping would suck on cross server queues and make pvp pretty miserable for a lot of people.

If they put their resources into it and actually do it right, it's a very enjoyable experience for everyone. It's worked for plenty of other MMOS.

http://www.swtorprogress.com/swtor-server-status.php

Kids are still delusional, OMG LOOK AT THOSE PACT SERVERS! GAME ISNT GOIng Anywheres guys!! We EAt the spoon from the hand of the great EA truth bowl.. gimmie mOAAAR!!!

See you guys in a year.... LOL

NOT!!!

You unsubbing, then? :) I've made a note of your name (cos I'm old and forget things) and in one year, I shall be here looking for you and still enjoying SWTOR.

Yes. :)