The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Game has died, Nowhere to go

MadCuzBad

Curious but why are you comparing an entire region to just effectively two countries?

Shouldn't it be comparing tastes in MMO i.e. western type audiences to eastern ... which still doesn't entirely stand true geographically.

Also NZ/Aus are part of Asia/Pacific but certainly don't follow Asian trends.

Those numbers seem skewed to prove any sort of relevant point.

It's just a common convention. Many industries divide up the global market into 4 regions: Asia-Pacific, Europe, North America, and Rest-of-World (RoW). (The electronic entertainment industry might have Latin America as a distinct market from RoW, not sure off-hand.)

Either way, APAC and NA are the two biggest video game markets.

Edited by DarthDymond

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a common convention. Many industries divide up the global market into 4 regions: Asia-Pacific, Europe, North America, and Rest-of-World (RoW). (The electronic entertainment industry might have Latin America as a distinct market from RoW, not sure off-hand.)

Either way, APAC and NA are the two biggest video game markets.

But my point is population wise NA doesn't hold a candle to APAC as a whole and APAC seems like a huge over generalization.

I would think comparing a western type audience to an eastern/asian type audience would yield more accurate figures when comparing games popularity overall.

e.g. na, europe and parts of apac ( nz/aus ) would fall under that western banner.

Thank you for posting this!

Most of the people you're addressing this to will shrug it off and tell you why you're wrong, but the truth is quite obvious to anyone.

You know, I started server hopping back and fourth when the "Unstable Saber" came on scene. I was regularly buying on one server and selling on another for profits.

Once I started checking the other servers during prime hours, I was absolutely floored how small the active populations really were. I would log on to both fleets and check some of the housing planets too, but let me just say, I don't know why those few remaining players haven't quit from boredom and no queues! It was bad, like 60 players on imp, 40 on pub, and 15-25 on each house planet on a Friday and Saturday night! Things might have changed some since then, but I doubt it.

Anyone right now can verify these claims by logging onto those servers during peak hours/days, and compare them to Harbinger or Shadow. You can further assess the livelihood of these servers by comparing active GTN sales of specific high demand items as well. But people still want to say everything is rainbows and butterflies at Bioware.

Edited by Holocron

That was all just Imperial.

Pub Fleet 1 - 167

Pub Fleet 2 - 1*

Coruscant - 61

Nar Shaddaa - 50

Server currently shows "standard load", around 11pm server time on an east coast server (compare with earlier time).

* somehow Fleet 2 was still open and I could switch, but when I loaded in, my character was the ONLY one one Fleet 2... very creepy. I took screenshots.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Shadowlands (Republic) at 7:53pm PST

Note I took the list from MCB's other post, along with the additional suggestions by psandak in the same thread:

1. Corellia Square - 4

2. Orbital Station - 4

3. Mesa Arena - 0

4. Tatooine Canyon - 4

5. Hypergate - 24

6. Coast - 0

7. Voidstar - 20

8. The Pit - 1 (one ???)

9. Civil War - 8

and

1. Scum and Villainy - 53

2. Dread Fortress - 56

3. Asation - 16

4. Lost Island - 1

5. Athiss - 0

6. Czerka - 0

7. Mandalorian - 4

8. Boarding (n/a for pub)

9, Maelstrom - 3

10. Taral V - 1

11. Foundry (n/a for pub)

12. False Emperor - 5

13. Cademimu - 12

14. Hammer Station - 0

15. Esseles - 10

and

16. Tython - 50

17. Ord Mantell - 44

18. Korriban - 7

19. Hutta (n/a for pub)

20. Coruscant - 100

21. Kaas - 2

22. Taris - 30

23. Nar Shaddaa - 97

24. Belsavis - 31

25. Tatooine - 58

26. Hoth - 39

27. Alderaan - 30

28. Voss - 42

29. Corellia - 31 (not including the 4 in Corellia Square)

30. Zakuul - 26

31. CZ-198 - 2

32. Oricon - 2

33. Yavin - 26

34. Rishi - 12

35. Ziost - 4

36. Ilum - 9

37. Quesh - 5

and

38. Fleet - 100

Is there any way to get the over 100 figure? Both Fleet and Coruscant pegged in the "Who" search.

Shadowlands (Empire) at 8:06pm PST

1. Corellia Square - 4

2. Orbital Station - 4

3. Mesa Arena - 0

4. Tatooine Canyon - 0

5. Hypergate - 16

6. Coast - 16

7. Voidstar - 7

8. The Pit - 0

9. Civil War - 24

and

1. Scum and Villainy - 67

2. Dread Fortress - 70

3. Asation - 8

4. Lost Island - 0

5. Athiss - 0

6. Czerka - 8

7. Mandalorian - 0

8. Boarding - 0

9, Maelstrom - (n/a for imp)

10. Taral V - (n/a for imp)

11. Foundry - 5

12. False Emperor - 5

13. Cademimu - 0

14. Hammer Station - 0

15. Esseles - (n/a for imp)

16. Tython - 11

17. Ord Mantell - (n/a for imp)

18. Korriban - 60

19. Hutta - 38

20. Coruscant - 2 (eh?)

21. Kaas - 100

22. Taris - 33

23. Nar Shaddaa - 100

24. Belsavis - 33

25. Tatooine - 82

26. Hoth - 55

27. Alderaan - 42

28. Voss - 27

29. Corellia - 20 (not including the 4 in Corellia Square)

30. Zakuul - 36

31. CZ-198 - 1

32. Oricon - 4

33. Yavin - 24

34. Rishi - 19

35. Ziost - 7

36. Ilum - 22

37. Quesh - 10

and

38. Fleet - 100

I'll leave it to others to analyze these numbers.

I will say that the amount of players in active operations makes me happy. The way some people talk on these forums, nobody ever raids and Bioware should never have spent any money making them.

:cool:

Edited by Khevar

Approaching midnight east coast, and still 95 on Dromund Kaas on EH.

And 85 on Nar Shaddaa.

Note that my numbers are coming from visiting these locations, not using the WHO.

I am going to transfer a fully geared commando to EH. I am going to twitch the entire event. I am going to time how long it takes me to get a que pop for PVP.

I am going to run twitch the entire time so everyone can watch. I am going to make the stream name "make me a believer Ebon Hawk"

FYI about 4 months ago I moved my last fully geared toon off of EB. 4 months ago that server was horrible for que times. Maybe in the past 4 months the server exploded and now its worth playing on. Because 4 months ago it was worthless.

But I will take time and perform a test live on twitch so we can get to the bottom of this.

I am going to transfer a fully geared commando to EH. I am going to twitch the entire event. I am going to time how long it takes me to get a que pop for PVP.

I am going to run twitch the entire time so everyone can watch. I am going to make the stream name "make me a believer Ebon Hawk"

FYI about 4 months ago I moved my last fully geared toon off of EB. 4 months ago that server was horrible for que times. Maybe in the past 4 months the server exploded and now its worth playing on. Because 4 months ago it was worthless.

But I will take time and perform a test live on twitch so we can get to the bottom of this.

What's your expectation of a queue pop time? On JC during peak times, it could take anywhere from "immediately" to 5-10 minutes to pop PvP unranked. I don't do ranked; the only reason I usually do unranked is for 4X/Pierce. Though I don't despise it, I'm just not terribly good at it; and I just depend on bolster so I don't have to regear.

I have absolutely no idea how PvP queues will work out for you on EH.

What I do know is that EH is populated, that its population does not appear to be falling, and that it's not "dead".

Nevermind. I am not gonna waste time when I don't have to. There is no Twitch stream needed. This is a no brainer and really don't need to go further.

Logged into Ebonhawk on my 65 Shadow. Qued up for reg WZs. During the 20 minutes I was qued I checked each instance. Here is my results:

Hype=0

Void=0

Pit=0

Civil=0

Coast=0

Orbit=0

Canyon=0

Mesa=0

Square=0

After being in PVP que for 20 minutes without a que pop I logged off and logged into Harbringer.

Logged into Harbringer. Qued up for PVP on my lvl 65 Shadow. Did not get a chance to check the instances and got a que pop within 15 seconds. Took the que pop and while I was guarding the node checked instances. Here is my results:

Hype=8

Void=8

Pit=0

Civil=16

Coast=8

Orbit=4

Mesa=8

Canyon=0

Square=0

My conclusion is exactly if not worse than it was 4 months ago. For me Ebon Hawk is not worth playing on. As a matter of fact Ebon Hawk seems to be in a worse state then it was so it seems that since the release of Star Wars movie Ebon Hawk slipped a little further into the "dead que times" slump. When I played on EH I used to get que pops at this time. They were slow but they would pop within 10 minutes. Today 20 minutes and ZERO. Not even 1 pop.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt but the answer keeps coming back as the same. Harbringer is the LAST server left worth playing on unless they institute a server to server que system or form a mega server and combine all remaining servers into them. Not only have I not changed my stance on this issue, but the more I test it the more iron clad it gets.

FYI that was just done right now. I logged into EbonHawk approx. 8:20 am EST. Logged into Harbringer approx. 8:40 am EST.

Now try both in peak period - the Ebon Hawk is an east coast server, and is probably right at the nadir of activity, since it's middle AM in the eastern timezones. Whereas it's just time to get in a last match before going to face the day on the Western side of the country.

Nevermind. I am not gonna waste time when I don't have to. There is no Twitch stream needed. This is a no brainer and really don't need to go further.

Logged into Ebonhawk on my 65 Shadow. Qued up for reg WZs. During the 20 minutes I was qued I checked each instance. Here is my results:

Hype=0

Void=0

Pit=0

Civil=0

Coast=0

Orbit=0

Canyon=0

Mesa=0

Square=0

After being in PVP que for 20 minutes without a que pop I logged off and logged into Harbringer.

Logged into Harbringer. Qued up for PVP on my lvl 65 Shadow. Did not get a chance to check the instances and got a que pop within 15 seconds. Took the que pop and while I was guarding the node checked instances. Here is my results:

Hype=8

Void=8

Pit=0

Civil=16

Coast=8

Orbit=4

Mesa=8

Canyon=0

Square=0

My conclusion is exactly if not worse than it was 4 months ago. For me Ebon Hawk is not worth playing on. As a matter of fact Ebon Hawk seems to be in a worse state then it was so it seems that since the release of Star Wars movie Ebon Hawk slipped a little further into the "dead que times" slump. When I played on EH I used to get que pops at this time. They were slow but they would pop within 10 minutes. Today 20 minutes and ZERO. Not even 1 pop.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt but the answer keeps coming back as the same. Harbringer is the LAST server left worth playing on unless they institute a server to server que system or form a mega server and combine all remaining servers into them. Not only have I not changed my stance on this issue, but the more I test it the more iron clad it gets.

OK.

That doesn't make the game dead, or any one particular server dead. PvP is not the whole of the game.

If the game doesn't give you what you want out of a game, and evidently that's been the case for years, why do you keep banging your head against a wall?

If you're convinced the game is dying/dead, and evidently that's been the case for years, why do you keep putting money into it?

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Now try both in peak period - the Ebon Hawk is an east coast server, and is probably right at the nadir of activity, since it's middle AM in the eastern timezones. Whereas it's just time to get in a last match before going to face the day on the Western side of the country.

I don't have to. I have done that already. There is no comparison from EH to Harbringer. Harbringer has 4 to 5 times the PVP ques at peak time than EH. That I already know. I thought off peak had changed. It actually did. I went from bad to worse. I used to play EH at 8am EST all the time. I had job hours that I would get home around 7:30 and am very familiar with how EH used to be. Now it is a lot worse than when I used to play there.

I don't have to. I have done that already. There is no comparison from EH to Harbringer. Harbringer has 4 to 5 times the PVP ques at peak time than EH. That I already know. I thought off peak had changed. It actually did. I went from bad to worse. I used to play EH at 8am EST all the time. I had job hours that I would get home around 7:30 and am very familiar with how EH used to be. Now it is a lot worse than when I used to play there.

The go play Battlefront if you want SW-themed PvP that isn't dead. The small fraction of toxic PvP players gravely injured PvP in SWTOR; so, yes, that game is (mostly) dead.

The go play Battlefront if you want SW-themed PvP that isn't dead.

no u

The small fraction of toxic PvP players gravely injured PvP in SWTOR; so' date=' yes, that game is (mostly) dead.[/quote']Will this personal fantasy meme ever die? :rolleyes:
Edited by Joesixxpack

no u

Will this personal fantasy meme ever die? :rolleyes:

I'm not the one who is judging the health of the game by PvP queue pops. For what I do, the game is as healthy as ever. There's people in my guild chat, when I decide to PvP I can usually get a match or two in a reasonable time, and the times I've looked to do an Op or event operations boss, I've found one.

I'm not much of a player of shooters; every so often I'll make a fool of myself in TF2, but that's about it

no u

Will this personal fantasy meme ever die? :rolleyes:

Nope, and here's why. The fantasy is trying to claim that this is a fantasy.

Bastion server is dead. Sure its almost 5 am but back in the day there was at least 50 on fleet and regular pvp warzones.. Now I'm relegated to griefing ( ganking ) as its called on pvp servers). random lowbies on various planets if I want to kill people...

Sure its fun but I like group pvp and stuff too!!

Because hitting links is hard, here's the opening post, emphasis mine.

Nope, and here's why. The fantasy is trying to claim that this is a fantasy.

Because hitting links is hard, here's the opening post, emphasis mine.

Later on in that thread, he claimed to be deliberately trolling. OTOH, plenty of people came out of the woodwork to say that kind of thing absolutely happens, and plenty of other people have shared their own poor experiences with instanced PvP as well as OWPvP in this game.

You will note I said that it's a minority of toxic people that ruined it for everyone.

Later on in that thread, he claimed to be deliberately trolling. OTOH, plenty of people came out of the woodwork to say that kind of thing absolutely happens, and plenty of other people have shared their own poor experiences with instanced PvP as well as OWPvP in this game.

You will note I said that it's a minority of toxic people that ruined it for everyone.

The problem being that I've actually seen this happen. I've seen it in Rappelz, I've seen it in Aion, and I've seen it here. I didn't see it in RoM or GW, but I'm not sure you can PvP just anywhere in GW, and frankly, I've only seen PvP happen once in RoM, and that was years ago, I haven't reinstalled RoM in two HD crashes...

It was particularly funny in Aion the last time I saw it, because not only did two toons that were at least 10 levels higher than my Assassin fail to kill me, I made it to a base with both of them chasing me, but then they both got killed by me on my Chanter, all while playing the FotM classes. My response to all the lowbies in the zone at the time was "They should be embarrassed, getting beat up by a Chanter".

I suspect the fallacy of "this never happens, it's a fantasy" is to protect their source of "entertainment" in the game. I know for a guy in Rappelz, it was just that. He put his high level pet on a lowbie and went and ganked people farming pixies. When I showed up and killed his pet, and then him, he cried about my "ruining his fun". Interestingly, he didn't come back on his main to avenge his pet's death, or his own. Perhaps because he was so fail at PvP that he knew what would happen, and decided to go elsewhere, or log out.

The problem being that I've actually seen this happen. I've seen it in Rappelz, I've seen it in Aion, and I've seen it here. I didn't see it in RoM or GW, but I'm not sure you can PvP just anywhere in GW, and frankly, I've only seen PvP happen once in RoM, and that was years ago, I haven't reinstalled RoM in two HD crashes...

It was particularly funny in Aion the last time I saw it, because not only did two toons that were at least 10 levels higher than my Assassin fail to kill me, I made it to a base with both of them chasing me, but then they both got killed by me on my Chanter, all while playing the FotM classes. My response to all the lowbies in the zone at the time was "They should be embarrassed, getting beat up by a Chanter".

I suspect the fallacy of "this never happens, it's a fantasy" is to protect their source of "entertainment" in the game. I know for a guy in Rappelz, it was just that. He put his high level pet on a lowbie and went and ganked people farming pixies. When I showed up and killed his pet, and then him, he cried about my "ruining his fun". Interestingly, he didn't come back on his main to avenge his pet's death, or his own. Perhaps because he was so fail at PvP that he knew what would happen, and decided to go elsewhere, or log out.

I haven't seen it in this game (the only place I've OW-PvP'd in any game is the Gree event, and going into that zone, I'm asking to get jumped; and am warned). I've absolutely seen poor etiquette in instanced PvP in other games, though.) Toxic PvPer isn't just a SWTOR stereotype, it's a universal one.