The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Game has died, Nowhere to go

MadCuzBad

TUX don't take the bait he is casting. He has been trolling this thread since it started. We are talking about serious issues and he is running around screaming and yelling about how active POT5 is. Ignore him and it will do you good.

Lmao, Max = Troll? You're delusional, mate.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick a side of the fence, and run with it, until then, you're really not convincing anyone of anything, that didn't want to ride your coattails already, anyway.

Convincing people of anything? For real?

I am asking a question. And the question is to Bioware is that when Harbringer dies like my last 4 servers did, where do I go? Are they going to institute server to server ques? Are they going to create a mega server? Because Harbringer is heading in the same direction that the other 4 servers I was on were. And I want to know where to go when that happens. Plain and simple.

Amazing that all I do is defend myself against the fanboi's and cheerleaders. Instead of cheerleading and being mindless fanboi's how about answer my question or at least try to give a suggestion what to do besides quit the game. Because so far that seems to be my only option because no way no how will I sit and wait for que pops all day and night. Not gonna happen.

I'm left wondering, which of these threads you have running is bait? In one, you're all over how PvP is dead, and hence the game is dead, and in the other you're all over how PvP is alive and well, so long as you use the specific set of guidelines you wanted to use to document it. Then, as it turns out, this is just more "Chicken Little, the Sky is falling" that you've been going on about for 4 years. Was the game even out of beta when you decided it was dead?

So far, with all these contradictions, and obvious troll posts to up your post count, I haven't seen you present any evidence of anything other than your pet whinge about PvP being both dead and doing just fine. Pick a side of the fence, and run with it, until then, you're really not convincing anyone of anything, that didn't want to ride your coattails already, anyway.

Let me try to clarify...

PvP is dying...it has been for years due to neglect and a complete lack of balance. PvP servers once rivaled even the most populated PvE server with population and interest.

PvP is a HUGE draw in online gaming - the numbers from years ago prove that. PvP could be thriving...but neglect of PvP has made sure that a huge chunk of the hardcore players have left, and now all we have left are filthy casuals, like myself, who enjoy PvP.

SWTOR had a very unique position years ago...they had mini-games of PvP (WZ's) that were fun for all sorts of players. Mini games like these had traditionally been seen in FPS type of games, but I believe they succeeded in merging a FPS favorite (objective based PvP) with an MMO environment in a way that many players found enjoyable...but unlike a FPS game, like CoD, they stopped supporting PvP. No map packs, no balance, and a gear gap that killed it for casuals...then they began removing PvP content, starting with Ilum.

So, he's right...PvP servers are dying/dead, but PvP WAS popular in this game.

Convincing people of anything? For real?

I am asking a question. And the question is to Bioware is that when Harbringer dies like my last 4 servers did, where do I go? Are they going to institute server to server ques? Are they going to create a mega server? Because Harbringer is heading in the same direction that the other 4 servers I was on were. And I want to know where to go when that happens. Plain and simple.

Amazing that all I do is defend myself against the fanboi's and cheerleaders. Instead of cheerleading and being mindless fanboi's how about answer my question or at least try to give a suggestion what to do besides quit the game. Because so far that seems to be my only option because no way no how will I sit and wait for que pops all day and night. Not gonna happen.

If Harbinger dies, the game really will be dead. Until then, have fun. Or cancel your sub, one of the two.

If Harbinger dies, the game really will be dead. Until then, have fun. Or cancel your sub, one of the two.

It's happening...that's what this topic was originally about. Harbinger is absolutely losing its population.

It's happening...that's what this topic was originally about. Harbinger is absolutely losing its population.

Could this be related to the complaints we saw in droves for a while that Harby was running on high-throughput interleaved hamsterwheels?

Honest question, if the answer is no, then it's no.

And this is finally a statement I can understand and get behind.

Too bad you created a click-bait thread title of "Game has died" -- all that did was draw attention away from the point you really want to make in the first place.

Could this be related to the complaints we saw in droves for a while that Harby was running on high-throughput interleaved hamsterwheels?

Honest question, if the answer is no, then it's no.

I don't think so. Here's why:

I transferred to Harby last summer. At the time, we were warned that we would want to have a second server for when Harby goes down. Since being there, I haven't seen it down except for ONE night. Granted, I don't play daily, only 3-4 days a week, but even so, I haven't seen it down even when I'm not online.

Back when we started on Harb, we'd have 3-4 Pub instances of Fleet every night, 2 with 180+ players minimum and a 3rd that was usually around 100 - Tuesdays we'd have 4 easily. I know this because population was our #1 issue and concern (coming from POT5 this would be understandable) and not a night went by that I wasn't AMAZED at how active Harb was.

Lately, we don't break 2 instances of Fleet and our 2nd instance is usually 12-45 players only. This is worrisome to those of us who have seen this trend before.

Edited by TUXs

I don't think so. Here's why:

I transferred to Harby last summer. At the time, we were warned that we would want to have a second server for when Harby goes down. Since being there, I haven't seen it down except for ONE night. Granted, I don't play daily, only 3-4 days a week, but even so, I haven't seen it down even when I'm not online.

Back when we started on Harb, we'd have 3-4 Pub instances of Fleet every night, 2 with 180+ players minimum and a 3rd that was usually around 100 - Tuesdays we'd have 4 easily. I know this because population was our #1 issue and concern (coming from POT5 this would be understandable) and not a night went by that I wasn't AMAZED at how active Harb was.

Lately, we don't break 2 instances of Fleet and our 2nd instance is usually 12-45 players only. This is worrisome to those of us who have seen this trend before.

I don't really pay a whole lot of attention to the population on fleet... but I didn't really recall more than three instances ever, and if there was a forth it was for the most part dead if three wasn't. However that's still significantly more people we have/had than what we have now.

All games die. Even this one. The Powers That Be are trying things to stave that day off, sometimes pretty goofy-looking things; or things that annoy veterans in hopes of attracting new players. But it's coming. Hopefully years from now, but it's coming. I can either worry about it, or Play The Game.

More importantly, though, there is a cycle of population even in a halthy game, it naturally ebbs and flows; and we are in a period where I'd expect interest to drop, and the population along with it. This isn't a F2P-only game, where population online is a good measure of revenue - a sub who logs on once a week to play one character pays as much as the altaholic who is constantly bouncing alts and farming for loot. IT's weakly correlated, sure. But only weakly. And your measurement of PvP queue times is even less correlated.

All games die. Even this one. The Powers That Be are trying things to stave that day off, sometimes pretty goofy-looking things; or things that annoy veterans in hopes of attracting new players. But it's coming. Hopefully years from now, but it's coming. I can either worry about it, or Play The Game.

More importantly, though, there is a cycle of population even in a halthy game, it naturally ebbs and flows; and we are in a period where I'd expect interest to drop, and the population along with it. This isn't a F2P-only game, where population online is a good measure of revenue - a sub who logs on once a week to play one character pays as much as the altaholic who is constantly bouncing alts and farming for loot. IT's weakly correlated, sure. But only weakly. And your measurement of PvP queue times is even less correlated.

I think that may be arguing if its still financially successful more than if the servers are active or not. Yeah... there still stringing people along with that chapter filler and crummy HK rewards... however the overall population of the game is lower than last year and only spikes in intervals with a new chapter release.

I think that may be arguing if its still financially successful more than if the servers are active or not. Yeah... there still stringing people along with that chapter filler and crummy HK rewards... however the overall population of the game is lower than last year and only spikes in intervals with a new chapter release.

This far past launch, I would be shocked beyond imagining if the population wasn't on a slow decline with spikes as new content came out. That's the life cycle of hobbies. MMOs have it a little easier than most, but people get bored.

You know it means a lot when Dijini defends someone, let alone when the subject of it is trolling :rak_03:.

Who knows what is and isn't a troll better than one? ;) Both TUX and Max make far more valid arguments than most, I'm hard pressed to call either of them a troll on an average day. Unlike someone like me, who's only about 50% actual arguing and 50% riling people up.

At least we can agree that the irony of that guy's reply to me is NEXT LEVEL.

Edited by Djiini

This far past launch, I would be shocked beyond imagining if the population wasn't on a slow decline with spikes as new content came out. That's the life cycle of hobbies. MMOs have it a little easier than most, but people get bored.

There are the casuals of the game who just flock toward each new release/expansion, and then there are the veterans who stick around with the game between those declines in expansions and releases. Yeah... its natural for the population to spike, however there isn't nearly as many veterans actively playing the game through those periods of time.

Wanted to comment on your post above, but since I am on my tablet, too much to quote.

But in all honesty Tux can you REALLY place all the blame on PVP on BW? A good portion of the blame is on the PVP players themselves. For the most part, they are a vitriolic, immature bunch, that seems to try their best at driving anyone interested in trying it out running and screaming for the exit.

personally I have nothing againsy pvp, I even play every once in a while. I dont even have a issue with BW trying to push people into tryi g it for the companion, but then when they do get inside, people insult them, scream at them or try to report them because they, God forbid, tried it without being fully geared in PVP gear (which I can understand if they go into the ranked, but not unranked).

Considering this game focuses more on PVE content, most casual players have learned not to go near it, and tbat to a great extent, is on the PVP players shoulders.

Edited by lightSaberAddiCt

But in all honesty Tux can you REALLY place all the blame on PVP on BW? A good portion of the blame is on the PVP players themselves. For the most part, they are a vitriolic, immature bunch, that seems to try their best at driving anyone interested in trying it out running and screaming for the exit.

PVP does not make people toxic, those toxic people just like PVP. Do not blame the mistakes of a few for the many, or vice versa. Good people exist in PVP, so its best not to label PVP toxic, but instead, the players of that certain activity toxic. It's like saying video games is the cause of acts of terrorism.

PVP does not make people toxic, those toxic people just like PVP. Do not blame the mistakes of a few for the many, or vice versa. Good people exist in PVP, so its best not to label PVP toxic, but instead, the players of that certain activity toxic. It's like saying video games is the cause of acts of terrorism.

Oh dont get me wrong Peter, I am not making a broad generalization. I dont think all PVPrs are like that, just like I dont think all OPs people are elitest because they want people to know their class a little.

I am just saying you cant put all the blame on BW, some of it, just like in OPs, are on the players themselves.

This is the part when scores of screwballs try to tear you a new one wielding nothing more than their feelings, uninformed reposts, and personal anxiety about player-controlled pixel fights. MTFBWY.

Oh dont get me wrong Peter, I am not making a broad generalization. I dont think all PVPrs are like that, just like I dont think all OPs people are elitest because they want people to know their class a little.

I am just saying you cant put all the blame on BW, some of it, just like in OPs, are on the players themselves.

"For the most part" is a pretty broad generalization, no :rak_02:

Idk what you expect from people who are playing the wrong game.