Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Megaservers

Joesixxpack

Hey folks,

By the term "Megaservers" I presume you think we are collapsing multiple servers together into "megaservers." Especially with many of the quality of life features you highlighted. These changes were only designed to allow friends to play together, regardless of their personal playstyle. Now someone who wants to play on a PvP server can play on the same server as their friends who don't want to.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

-eric

Ah... so if it is not becoming a megaserver then how does this feature exactly help out the dead servers? what is the point of it when you can already toggle your flag on/off? why does this development time not go into better improvements?

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your message couldn't be more cryptic. it leaves room for a lot of speculation! also what i wanna know, what's about the laguage barriers?

This.

Clearly there's a lot of speculation still and personally Eric's response only further complicated the idea in my mind. A clear statement, perhaps with an example of how it works, might really clear things up, Eric.

Eric,

I have one question, in the pve instance will it keep the pvp players from ganking or using their aoe for people that don't want to pvp. If so, then that is a good change.

I am also glad we dont' have to move servers as that creates a headache with guilds.

Ah... so if it is not becoming a megaserver then how does this feature exactly help out the dead servers? what is the point of it when you can already toggle your flag on/off? why does this development time not go into better improvements?

By itself this change is useless.

Coupled with the change to naming rules, it looks like they are laying the groundwork for future server consolidation.

Edited by DawnAskham

Well it doesn't, and no one ever said it did.

This feature is being called 'megaservers' due to the datamining and for some reason folks seem to think based on the 4.3 datamine that this is what it means, and speculation got all out of hand (we can just talk about it now, since 4.3 is on the PTS).

I looked at the stuff for 4.3, and I never saw anything that indicated server merges, or mega servers, or anything like that, but speculation is speculation.

I still think they're going to just enable cross-realm queuing, and that will help out low pop servers more than anything else.

Coupled with the change to naming rules, it looks like they are laying the groundwork for future server consolidation.

Why does everyone assume it's consolidation? Enabling cross realm functionality is a much better solution.

Well it doesn't, and no one ever said it did.

This feature is being called 'megaservers' due to the datamining and for some reason folks seem to think based on the 4.3 datamine that this is what it means, and speculation got all out of hand (we can just talk about it now, since 4.3 is on the PTS).

I looked at the stuff for 4.3, and I never saw anything that indicated server merges, or mega servers, or anything like that, but speculation is speculation.

I still think they're going to just enable cross-realm queuing, and that will help out low pop servers more than anything else.

I don't think they have the tech to enable cross-server anything, and see this new functionality being added to allow future server mergers (such as closing the dead PVP servers) without retaining dedicated PVP server types.

Why does everyone assume it's consolidation? Enabling cross realm functionality is a much better solution.

I'd much rather see cross realm functionality between all servers than the new functionality for play style instances, but it seems they don't have the ability to do cross server.

Thus my assumption is we're getting this cludgy play-style by instance functionality added to all servers so they can kill off the dead PVP servers at a future date while still supporting PVP server play style on the remaining servers.

Edited by DawnAskham

I don't think they have the tech to enable cross-server anything, and see this new functionality being added to allow future server mergers (such as closing the dead PVP servers) without retaining dedicated PVP server types.

The last part of your post is what I'm thinking. It's quite possible that my thread title locked on mega servers as a despicable bait tactic for discussion.

I didn't think about that, you have a good point but from what I have seen so far, I doubt they will dedicate resources to this cause

I didn't think about that, you have a good point but from what I have seen so far, I doubt they will dedicate resources to this cause

Trimming servers would benefit BW, so if you're suspicious about that sounding too altruistic you need not be.

If they left cheap transfers, monthly coins, and name improvements in place we'd have no excuse for hanging out on dead PVP servers.

Edited by Joesixxpack

I'd much rather see cross realm functionality between all servers than the new functionality for play style instances, but it seems they don't have the ability to do cross server.

Thus my assumption is we're getting this cludgy play-style by instance functionality added to all servers so they can kill off the dead PVP servers at a future date while still supporting PVP server play style on the remaining servers.

Ah, so everyone assumes merge/consolidate due to a persistent mindstate of cynicism. Fair enough hehe

I'm a little more hopeful. Nothing I've seen indicates that the game is in maintenance mode, as they're still improving it, and I'm sure they want to be able to get and retain players, so taking care of the players quality of life issues is a pretty big deal.

It makes more sense to develop for cross realm functionality if you're expecting a surge of new players or returning players due to the new media coming down. Do that, and your servers become plug and play.

To me, the pvp/pve instances solves a short term problem - pvp'ers can play on pve servers while still living the pvp lifestyle. But if they enable cross realm open world zones eventually, this is also good groundwork for that.

And the spaces in names don't really indicate a server merge incoming. It also solves a large part of the problems in that so many names are simply not available, so you see a ridiculous amount of ascii code names and apostrophe filled names, and such. Allowing spaces just increases the namespace, is all, doesn't really do anything to prevent collisions in the event of a merge.

It allows for PVE and PVP players to exist on the same server (ie, so they can play with their friends), without having to sacrifice their preferred play style

Ahhh ok, I think I see now. Thanks. I guess in the future they will just get rid of the pvp servers then?

Hey folks,

By the term "Megaservers" I presume you think we are collapsing multiple servers together into "megaservers." Especially with many of the quality of life features you highlighted. These changes were only designed to allow friends to play together, regardless of their personal playstyle. Now someone who wants to play on a PvP server can play on the same server as their friends who don't want to.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

-eric

I LOL at your lack of vision. do you really think we are going to waste CC on transfers to servers that are dead? please get a clue you guys. fairly simple here merge your dying servers into one server only. people just suck it up with name changes or you actualy apply a gw2 system you add numbers to the name. simple and easy. honestly why you at BW eric etal dont get this i just dont understand. I get you have no clue how your story is horrible because you drink your own fruit punch but its really truly time to open your eyes and see your servers are horrible and need to be merged.

Trimming servers would benefit BW, so if you're suspicious about that sounding too altruistic you need not be.

Not as much as you might think. They don't really have that many servers. Hardware is cheap these days, and turning down a few servers here and there isn't going to significantly effect operating expense. Years of being a network ops monkey has taught me that the most significant expense is external bandwidth, and that doesn't change based on number of servers.

Hmm, I'm not sure, even with Erics explanation exactly whats this is about, but my best guess here, is that there will be no server merges, but all servers will now have a pvp instance, and a pve instance, which we can swap between as we like. Is it as simple as that?

But to get the best of this, we shall need to buy our own server transfers, and pool together on one server, then we get faster pops for warzones and flashpoints, and quicker LFG for ops, while still being able to enjoy the playstyle we had before. RPs will ofc stay on their own server, otherwise be griefed to hell and back.

*Applies a tinfoil hat buff*

EA wants us to spend money on transfers!

OK Im only half serious about that last bit, but i do think this could be a good change. I could ofc be totally wrong.

No server moves, it's just a new feature to the existing servers.

In other words, instead of flagging for PVP, you can move to the PVP instance, and it's the same effect as being on a PVP server, if that's your preferred play style.

It's effectively the same thing as switching instances ie, from Imperial Fleet (1) to Imperial Fleet (2), except that you'll be flagged for PVP and unable to toggle it off if you select the PVP instance.

Don't get why this is so hard for folks to understand.

Ok, I guess we will see a increase in the PvE servers then that are already populated.

I see no point to play on a less populated PvP server with the option to PvP on a PvE server.

I am a bit tired, sorry for not understanding :tran_smile:

Ah, so everyone assumes merge/consolidate due to a persistent mindstate of cynicism. Fair enough hehe

I'm a little more hopeful. Nothing I've seen indicates that the game is in maintenance mode, as they're still improving it, and I'm sure they want to be able to get and retain players, so taking care of the players quality of life issues is a pretty big deal.

It makes more sense to develop for cross realm functionality if you're expecting a surge of new players or returning players due to the new media coming down. Do that, and your servers become plug and play.

To me, the pvp/pve instances solves a short term problem - pvp'ers can play on pve servers while still living the pvp lifestyle. But if they enable cross realm open world zones eventually, this is also good groundwork for that.

And the spaces in names don't really indicate a server merge incoming. It also solves a large part of the problems in that so many names are simply not available, so you see a ridiculous amount of ascii code names and apostrophe filled names, and such. Allowing spaces just increases the namespace, is all, doesn't really do anything to prevent collisions in the event of a merge.

again what they want is your money with cc purchases to transfer your characters. that is all it amounts to and is all part of the growing pattern of maintenance mode that we are currently in.

as for the actual maintenance mode it comes down to this all game designs have turned away from producing story rich content for their individual classes and all story between factions has turned away into a simple uni-faction system. it is easier MUCH easier to develop short poorly written chapters that can be made with a very small crew of coders.

add to that the changes to cartel packs such they dont need to design new items but just recycle old items in new packs and not sell the older packs at all.

add even more to the fact that the story chapters are so horribly short they need to add in auto agro NPCs every step of the way.

add to that they have now recycled the same environment in the majority of their new chapter system to the points its almost comical how lazy they are.

this my friends is called maintance mode because it is so far from what the intent of the original swtor is that its just pure silly easy to keep going at this point.

Not as much as you might think. They don't really have that many servers. Hardware is cheap these days, and turning down a few servers here and there isn't going to significantly effect operating expense. Years of being a network ops monkey has taught me that the most significant expense is external bandwidth, and that doesn't change based on number of servers.

I'm not a SME or network ops monkey, but work with enough and have a few national and global server networks to be responsible and pay for. I get that they probably wouldn't recoup much and am figuring it like this: Why do what they're going to do *but* keep dead servers live?

Edited by Joesixxpack

EA wants us to spend money on transfers!

Transfers are only 90CC. You know, less than what you get for free simply by attaching a security key to your account.

So server transfers are effectively less than a buck, if you buy the smallest cartel coin option. Compare that to what... 15 bucks per character for WoW? Or is it 25?

Which isn't to say that Bioware isn't above squeezing it's customers for money, the last few packs are a good indication of that.

However, given that behavior, since server transfers are so cheap, it's an indication that this is not a change simply to try and force people to transfer in order to get more revenue.

If they really wanted to squeeze revenue out of server transfers, prices would increase to the 1500-2000 CC range

Edited by DayneDrak

I'm not an SME or network ops monkey, but work with enough and have a few national and global server networks to be responsible and pay for. I get that they probably wouldn't recoup much and figuring it like this: Why do what they're going to do *but* keep dead servers live?

It makes sense if they're going to enable cross realm functionality. If they did that, I'd expect to see an uptick in the life of lower pop servers, especially with new media driving awareness of the game.

Hmm, I'm not sure, even with Erics explanation exactly whats this is about, but my best guess here, is that there will be no server merges, but all servers will now have a pvp instance, and a pve instance, which we can swap between as we like. Is it as simple as that?

That's pretty much what I'm taking from it. Basically you can do anything on any server, yet it remains to be seen what they're gonna do for RP'ers, as I would imagine it would cause an uproar from that community.

again what they want is your money with cc purchases to transfer your characters. that is all it amounts to and is all part of the growing pattern of maintenance mode that we are currently in.

Unless they raise the CC cost for transfers, you're delusional if you think this is a push to gain revenue via that avenue.

Transfers are only 90CC. You know, less than what you get for free simply by attaching a security key to your account.

So server transfers are effectively less than a buck, if you buy the smallest cartel coin option. Compare that to what... 15 bucks per character for WoW? Or is it 25?

Which isn't to say that Bioware isn't above squeezing it's customers for money, the last few packs are a good indication of that.

However, given that behavior, since server transfers are so cheap, it's an indication that this is not a change simply to try and force people to transfer in order to get more revenue.

I did say i was only half serious :) but ya, transfers are nice and cheap, wouldnt cost a great deal to move all our toons to one server, character limit is more of a problem with that.

I did say i was only half serious :) but ya, transfers are nice and cheap, wouldnt cost a great deal to move all our toons to one server, character limit is more of a problem with that.

Yeah, the character slots are more inline with a revenue grab, since they're 600 CC.

That being said, at least the game does have the option to add character slots. One of the things that annoyed me with WoW was that I was hard capped on the number of toons per server with no way to increase. I believe the amount of character slots you get as a subscriber per server is actually more than you get per server with WoW, in which case, I actually don't mind there being a small cost attached to it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.