Tuesday Night Videos from SRW Conquest event

SWCNT

I picked 3 of the funnest matches of Wednesday night. For those of you that haven't attended our Conquest event, you should, we've been having lots of fun matches on SL this week. NOTE: I forgot to enable my own mic to be recorded, so there are some awkward dialogues where it might sound like someone on my team is talking to themselves and receiving replies from no one.

This match didn't turn into a GS chess match. Lots of scout dogfighting between me, beres (despon) and eric-bana (Linuxizer). Always fun to dogfight against some of the best in the game, and it makes for more exciting videos than bombers.

Pub Team 1

Baitah

Bar'rier

Excentric

Yallia

Anariodin

Aryabel

Cescajasmine

Ravishmart

Pub Team 2

Beekay-nomand

Beres (Despon)

Eric-bana

Tobiasfunke (Maximilianpowers)

Hedago

Phocias

Pointman

Sakriv

Very intense match, lots of skilled players on both sides that knew how to play the match.

Pub Team 1

Beekay-nomand

Pharak (Halkian)

Skywallkr (Sithace)

Yallia

Dipiess

Lionous

Morgyt

Siraka

Pub Team 2

Keraka

Beres (Despon)

Martinpaul

Irinn

Lockslyn

Patien

Tragun

Sakriv

Well fought TDM by both sides, I forgot how much the game can lag 12v12 with so much bomber spam!

Pub Team 1

Beekay-nomand

Bugglesley

Baitah

Excentric

Yallia

Avensur

Fullmetalangel

Funslinger

Postvita

Argenthromir

Beres (Despon)

Erutavruc

Pub Team 2

Lumation

Jonnel

Nixyria

Stuf

Xmar

Kasside

Roosterz

Statictosilence

Coyoteewyle

Derrad

Haim

Locksyln

Edited by SWCNT

Thanks for posting these! They were some intense and difficult matches.

Someone on voice in the dom match questioned how I (Beres) was able to rapid-fire railgun shots. The answer is: practice! Seriously, though, it is. Basically, I am almost always using the bare minimum energy to fire a shot unless I have to finish off a kill, and even then I try to judge it so I don't over-charge the railgun past what I need to do the job. It is important to note that when you're draining the whole weapon pool and trying to fire in a very quick rhythm, it's very possible to 'double-clutch' and misjudge that you've exceeded the minimum threshold for energy needed to fire a shot, which wastes time and opportunity. It's twice as tricky when you have lag to deal with, which is especially prevalent when there is ton of bomber junk dotted around. So, again, it comes down to practice.

In a situation where I am faced with a horde of bombers swirling around a point, there are several problems to solve. First is that I often only have a very short window of time when a target is out of cover. Second is that there is a whole lot of stuff that needs to be cleared out so my team can get in close and finish off what I've been weakening, then cap the node. So I need to look for anything I can find to bounce ion off of, and judge whether I can take that extra second of charging to do more damage or just keep up a steady stream of fire.

Also worth noting (and commented on in the match) is that when I fly gs on Mesas dom, I stick to the lower door on either pub or imp side. This is because none of the other entry points to B give gunships a good angle to fire from. The lower doors on either side give you a clear line on the satellite, and thus bombers. They also allow you to quickly cover A or C depending on which side you're stronger on.

Because of the bad sightlines, I generally do not like flying gunship on Mesas dom. I'll always go T2 scout if I can but once you get past about two bombers on a node, it becomes very impractical to keep bashing a scout into that mess.

Despon

Thanks for posting these! They were some intense and difficult matches.

Someone on voice in the dom match questioned how I (Beres) was able to rapid-fire railgun shots. The answer is: practice! Seriously, though, it is. Basically, I am almost always using the bare minimum energy to fire a shot unless I have to finish off a kill, and even then I try to judge it so I don't over-charge the railgun past what I need to do the job. It is important to note that when you're draining the whole weapon pool and trying to fire in a very quick rhythm, it's very possible to 'double-clutch' and misjudge that you've exceeded the minimum threshold for energy needed to fire a shot, which wastes time and opportunity. It's twice as tricky when you have lag to deal with, which is especially prevalent when there is ton of bomber junk dotted around. So, again, it comes down to practice.

In a situation where I am faced with a horde of bombers swirling around a point, there are several problems to solve. First is that I often only have a very short window of time when a target is out of cover. Second is that there is a whole lot of stuff that needs to be cleared out so my team can get in close and finish off what I've been weakening, then cap the node. So I need to look for anything I can find to bounce ion off of, and judge whether I can take that extra second of charging to do more damage or just keep up a steady stream of fire.

Also worth noting (and commented on in the match) is that when I fly gs on Mesas dom, I stick to the lower door on either pub or imp side. This is because none of the other entry points to B give gunships a good angle to fire from. The lower doors on either side give you a clear line on the satellite, and thus bombers. They also allow you to quickly cover A or C depending on which side you're stronger on.

Because of the bad sightlines, I generally do not like flying gunship on Mesas dom. I'll always go T2 scout if I can but once you get past about two bombers on a node, it becomes very impractical to keep bashing a scout into that mess.

Despon

Solid advice and it's nice you explained the thought process. That was Spacer-x asking about the firing, after the match I think Cencere was telling him about how you have the quarter shots timed really well, which makes it seem like you have a gatling gun instead of a railgun. I know from listening to newer players that the constant stream of ion damage has a psychological impact on them, they feel like no where is safe and panic rather than hitting F2 and calling for help. Or they'll continue dropping spam and give the ion GS a constant supply of targets, which is the worst thing to do. Those doorways are key choke points for both teams, control them and you immediately shut down the strongest GS posts.

Thoroughly enjoyed the match listed above!

Also a tip for new guys:

My Condor was tier one and below so to do the best to help my team I resorted to ninja sniping. Pick your targets carefully and shoot and take cover or flee. Do not try to stand toe to toe with any mastered ship. Just get in a good hurting shot so the enemy is weaker for the next guy. Don't get all hung up on getting kills. Also pick targets that are already hurt for the kill shot. As you can see at the end I only had 3 kills but 10 assists, the assists helped way more than the kills. Fly smart and of course "fly casual"! ;)