The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So much has changed...

GeneralMaxwell

I bought the DDE of swtor as a preorder back before launch. To make a long story short I was a dumb high school kid with no understanding of pc requirements. Purchased and tried to play a game my pc wasn't built for. Now a high school graduate, been working for some time and make a decent living. Finally could afford a nice pc and I'm back. Have to say this whole subscription thing is a huge slap in the face as I paid a lot for the deluxe. Never got to try out that STAP...

I bought the DDE of swtor as a preorder back before launch. To make a long story short I was a dumb high school kid with no understanding of pc requirements. Purchased and tried to play a game my pc wasn't built for. Now a high school graduate, been working for some time and make a decent living. Finally could afford a nice pc and I'm back. Have to say this whole subscription thing is a huge slap in the face as I paid a lot for the deluxe. Never got to try out that STAP...

The speeder? You didn't get it when entering your code?

You still have the STAP though. Even now. Any character you create will get it in the mail.

And really, how is it a "slap in the face"? You paid for that how many years ago? What games don't go down in price over the course of 5 years? Especially MMOs. At least now you can sub for 1 month and get every expansion ever released for free with it.

Edited by GelstonJ

You still have the STAP though. Even now. Any character you create will get it in the mail.

And really, how is it a "slap in the face"? You paid for that how many years ago? What games don't go down in price over the course of 5 years? Especially MMOs. At least now you can sub for 1 month and get every expansion ever released for free with it.

Have you seen how much stuff is locked behind a subscription fee? I couldn't even post in the forum until I bought it! A freaking forum! Most games have forums you can post in for free. I couldn't go 5 minutes without seeing something locked behind a subscription.

Also, you never reached level 10 before? You have an massive ****ton of content you haven't played yet.

As I said, was dumb enough to buy without checking specs first. PC had issues loading the environment skins. Didn't get very far. My new PC is a bit overkill now though.

Edited by GeneralMaxwell

I'm confused what you're complaining about ... Mind you, I purchased the original CE of the game, too. I did so well aware that there was a subscription I'd need to maintain to continue playing the game after it launched, as well. MMO games typically range from subscription-based gameplay or in-game market sales to maintain their continued development, so I made sure to know what I'd have to do in order to play this one.

Have you ever played an online MMO before?

I'm confused what you're complaining about ... Mind you, I purchased the original CE of the game, too. I did so well aware that there was a subscription I'd need to maintain to continue playing the game after it launched, as well. MMO games typically range from subscription-based gameplay or in-game market sales to maintain their continued development, so I made sure to know what I'd have to do in order to play this one.

Have you ever played an online MMO before?

You guys are the ones making a big deal about it. Typical everyone has to focus on the most negative part. One sentence out of a whole paragraph and everyone goes berserk.

Also, I don't remember there being a subscription at launch. At least I didn't have to pay for one when I first started.

There was... F2P didn't come until after the launch game largely failed... (so to speak, it never closed, but 6 months post launch was ugly and empty).

You got 30 days of free play with your initial purchase way back when, after that you would have had to sub. It has always been $15/month.

Swtor didn't always have a F2P model. Here's a little blast from the past...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-old-republic-monthly-revenue-has-doubled-since-free-to-play-switch/1100-6408053/

Yea, the game has gone through ups and downs since then... the team that launched RotHC isn't here anymore, they have a new one (mostly), and what they promised back then didn't end up coming to pass.

Since you're effectively "new", you have a ton of stuff to do, but consider that you'll find both new and old players in the game. Some people will be happy to learn the ropes with you, others will not.

There was... F2P didn't come until after the launch game largely failed... (so to speak, it never closed, but 6 months post launch was ugly and empty).

You got 30 days of free play with your initial purchase way back when, after that you would have had to sub. It has always been $15/month.

Well there you go, I never got past my first month so I never noticed. Guess you could also say I'm both a new and old player too lol.

Lol slap in the face. Here's the thing kid, I bought the deluxe edition too and paid a sub every month since then. The sub is part of MMO'S and for this game it's the ablity to unlock all the features of the game.

Well since everyone else is concentrating on the whole slap in the face thing I thought I'd completely ignore it and tell you what someone else should have said by now. Have fun in game. It's changed a lot since it was first created. Some of the changes are for the better while others are not so much but there's a ton of content now and plenty to keep you busy and satisfied with. Leveling is way too easy and the companions are a bit overpowered so it makes it super easy (which isn't always a good thing) but if you enjoy the story lines then you should be in for a treat. I hope you get a chance to finally have some fun and ride that STAP. :D Welcome back and may the force be with you. :csw_destroyer:

Since you subscribed this month, if you drop your sub later, you will be preferred and have access to all of the expansions up to KotFE chapter 10. Since you bought the DE you have the mount for every character plus access to a nice vendor.

If you click on someones referral link you will get a free character transfer and a row of inventory space. You will also get a few unlocks for when you drop back down to preferred: a crew skill slot, hide-head, and show titles. You can't use them while subscribed, so be sure to save them! (Dulfy & TorFashion both have links if you want to support one of those websites)

What server are you on? If I have a character there I'll send you some goodies to help get you started.