The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Another small patch: 5.4GB...

NJMorf

Another update, another incomprehensibly large download. 96 minutes nearly capping my bandwidth for another 5.4GB downloaded by BitRaider. And yet my SWTOR folder is only 3.2GB larger than it was yesterday. Is there *really* 3.2GB of new content in this patch? Did 2.2GB of old data *really* get updated? Or was it a small percentage of that data but held in large files that couldn't be changed at our end, they had to be completely overwritten with a new, slightly larger file?

How big was everyone else's download?

I would say it was 1 yomamabyte big :rak_03:

They are adding a lot of stuff in and according to you our shady friends in mines, some things were added that are not used as of yet

<insert a comment about how Murican ISPs are stupid and you people should riot about it already>

Edited by Aries_cz

*nods* Seems to be multiple threads popping up now. Basically the same issue... it's sticking on some people. Eric already said they're trying to work out the problem at least. However, it is a huge patch... they really need to adopt pre-patching to make headstart on any of the content mean anything. :D

Another update, another incomprehensibly large download. 96 minutes nearly capping my bandwidth for another 5.4GB downloaded by BitRaider. And yet my SWTOR folder is only 3.2GB larger than it was yesterday. Is there *really* 3.2GB of new content in this patch? Did 2.2GB of old data *really* get updated? Or was it a small percentage of that data but held in large files that couldn't be changed at our end, they had to be completely overwritten with a new, slightly larger file?

How big was everyone else's download?

Let me explain how the patches work in this game, when they change something (be one line of code or several thousand) in a file (be that file small or big) client redownload the file to patch it, so while the final weight of the game can remain unchanged, the download can be pretty long.

Of course you may do what you like...

But if you're on a metered connection, this type of game may not be for you. The game itself doesn't take that much data while you play, but the patches and downloads are brutal.

I would be surprised if the patch team gives much thought to the size of the patch when they make it.

The 5 GB patch is the stealth addition of the HD textures they mentioned in 2012. :p

Hell, if they did that, I might actually forgive them (this one time). Textures on armour look so bad in cutscenes, and are substantially lower than those used on faces. Looks awful, most of the time.

Today's x.a patch fixes six issues, most of which look like they're probably code changes ("corrected an issue that caused crafting schematics to no longer appear in the crafting UI") as opposed to possible replacement textures and the like ("reverted an inadvertent appearance change on the outlander gear sets"). My game was fully patched after "only" 303MB downloaded, then carried on for another 58MB for no apparent reason (BitRaider strikes again). How on Earth do six (probably) minor code changes require 300-360 MB of patch data?

I'm guessing that what's happening is that one small file is changed inside a much larger archive file, hence the entire large file must be downloaded again. If this is the case, then it is INCREDIBLY STUPID. Does Bioware not have the ability to change one file inside an archive, like we've been able to do with Zip files for decades? Can't we just download the changed files and insert them? Is this yet another inability of the Hero Engine?