The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Chapter X is make or break for SWTOR's new model

Transairion

Just saying, I'm pretty sure we all expect a whole lot of "Is that it, my 15 dollar a month gets me X hour/s of content to sate me for an entire month?!?" threads tommorow and people threatening to (or actually) unsubbing as a result.

Right now it isn't looking too good, given how fast you can breeze through KOTFE 1-9 (skipping nothing mind you), I can't expect a single chapter plus one or two Alliance Alerts will keep anyone satisfied for very long... but that's the model we're stuck with at the moment.

Chapter X will demonstrate what we're to expect in the next 6+ months, so I hope it's good Bioware... if it's not, I can't see a lot left to justify staying subbed when you insisted on removing so much old content in 4.0 to begin with. I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself, but I'm doubtful I'm alone in this line of thinking either.

Edited by Transairion

that's the model we're stuck with at the moment.

totally agree with most of what you said. The episode content definitely feels like added value for the next 6 months of subbing, but I'm really hoping that Chapter X convinces me to remain subbed for those six months or just come back in 6 months and play through it all at once.

moveover, I'm just happy to hear PvP got a shout out from the Devs :rak_03: <3

Edited by king_nile

so before 4.0 how much content did we get each month?

I mean the people here act like prior to 4.0 we where getting a new raid, daily zone and warzone each month.

an hours worth of new content each month is honestly an improvement as I see it

Yeah, monthly content is better than long breaks in between.

I mean the people here act like prior to 4.0 we where getting a new raid, daily zone and warzone each month.

True, but pre 4.0 you could also fall back on a plethora of old content, achievements, overlevelling to do things that couldn't normally be done previous and so on... as well as a mass of cosmetic grindables in the form of planetary drops, FP drops and so on.

4.0 absolutely gutted the old optional content, overlevelling was demolished, soloing HM FP's was demolished, soloing WB's was demolished, a MASSIVE amount of cosmetic grindables was flatout removed from the game (commendation levelling gear, Flashpoint armor/weapons, plantery drops, differing levels of random boxes)... and since I did a lot of those, they just up and vanished when 4.0 rolled around.

Now I spend most of my days grinding Heroic's for credits or levelling a new character, and that's kind of it. Anything else I liked spending my sub time on got removed, and bumming about on Fleet hoping to get in a group for Flashpoint/Ops as a DPS isn't something I enjoy much of.

Post KOTFE 4.0 turned my gameplay into:

- Do monthly content in a day (Chapter X +)

- Grind Heroics for credits to buy cosmetics

- PvP if I can be bothered getting smashed repeatedly

- Sit on fleet not getting a FP/Ops pop because I'm a DPS

- Shell out for a new character slot and do it all again

Having MORE to do pre 4.0 is kind of depressing, actually. But I'm mostly a solo player as well.

Edited by Transairion

True, but pre 4.0 you could also fall back on a plethora of old content, achievements, overlevelling to do things that couldn't normally be done previous and so on... as well as a mass of cosmetic grindables in the form of planetary drops, FP drops and so on.

4.0 absolutely gutted the old optional content, overlevelling was demolished, soloing HM FP's was demolished, soloing WB's was demolished, a MASSIVE amount of cosmetic grindables was flatout removed from the game (commendation levelling gear, Flashpoint armor/weapons, plantery drops, differing levels of random boxes)... and since I did a lot of those, they just up and vanished when 4.0 rolled around.

^ Much truth here... a lot of things actually did go away when 4.0 dropped... at least things worth doing...

Pre-4.0 people were waiting for the above... when it didn't arrive, people got a bit upset... it is now way too long for some of those items. All of them actually.

3.x was the sweet time of SWTOR, a good pace of content and development. 2.x was ok, better than 1.x, it was headed in the right direction. 4.x is fine for newer people, but a bit barren for those who have been there and done that.

Pre-4.0 people were waiting for the above... when it didn't arrive, people got a bit upset... it is now way too long for some of those items. All of them actually.

3.x was the sweet time of SWTOR, a good pace of content and development. 2.x was ok, better than 1.x, it was headed in the right direction. 4.x is fine for newer people, but a bit barren for those who have been there and done that.

umm in 3.x we got the equivilant of 1 chapter, a daily zone and a single instance raid boss. they gave us VERY little new content between 3.0 and 4.0

umm in 3.x we got the equivilant of 1 chapter, a daily zone and a single instance raid boss. they gave us VERY little new content between 3.0 and 4.0

Yea, that is what I get for posting late...

2.x was the sweet time... It was 1.6 and beyond that it started to pick up from launch... gets fuzzy after awhile... :)

I remember the release of DF/DP and Oricon in... Oct 2013 if memory serves, that was the sweet time...

I personally found 2.x a high point of the game. Tons of story to do still in the original content and makeb plus to me it was the golden time of operations/flashpoints - quick pops, tons of lfg and a cool story based op seemed to lure more people than ever to doing them.

Plus there was macrobinoculars/seeker droid for those interested and whatever else I'm no doubt forgetting.

4.x is on par so far if not better ... It's got the quick pops and lfg's of 2.x thanks to the bolster of operations 50+ plus all flashpoints being able to be run over all levels. SF and alliance is something new and extra to do too.

It just needs more operations this year to keep it there because I just don't see the end game content we've got now enough to last the rest of the year.

3.x was the worst of the lot as we never got much after it - the raids were so badly made they really put people at max level off raiding casually and it became nigh impossible to find a pop or lfg for operations or flashpoints I found personally. Everything just felt so dead and deserted in the few months before kotfe was announced.

That's my personal experience and opinion anyway.

Otherwise I agree with what the OP is saying though of course if they had a couple of new ops and fp's up their sleeve for a few months time then it would sit with the 1 chapter per month perfectly ... if not ... it's going to be tough going this year.

Yea, that is what I get for posting late...

2.x was the sweet time... It was 1.6 and beyond that it started to pick up from launch... gets fuzzy after awhile... :)

I remember the release of DF/DP and Oricon in... Oct 2013 if memory serves, that was the sweet time...

Oh that sounds better ... I would agree with that definitely being the sweet time. :)

Oh that sounds better ... I would agree with that definitely being the sweet time. :)

Yea, for some reason, my brain was out to lunch... or dinner, or bed! :)

That was the era of 156 gear dropping from Oricon, 162 from basic comms, 168/180 gear from the elite/ultimate/ops tokens...

Chapter X is make or break for SWTOR's new model

so says you.

yet another the game is about to die, pointless thread.

Not a "game about to die thread".

It's very much a thread making light of the fact their new model is giving 1 Chapter per month, and that being our only new content to sate us, while having removed a lot of stuff in 4.0 that we could've done. So if we're only getting 1 Chapter per month, and the first of these Chapters isn't very good... then it doesn't look good for upcoming Chapters either, no?

If Chapter X is just like all the previous chapters, and able to be done easily in the space of an hour (or less) and as a Chapter is non-repeatable... then yeah, I would say people should consider whether or not it's worth subbing at all for the meantime when you can just sub in like a year's time and get all the content at once for far cheaper.

Certainly even I can't justify paying what amounts to ~$40 AUD a month for an afternoon's of content, and the rest of the time expected to twiddle my thumbs since I've done most everything else already.

And I'm the kind of guy who's spent endless hours Seeker Droiding mindlessly, so if it gets to the point I'm bored... well...

Edited by Transairion

It's very much a thread making light of the fact their new model is giving 1 Chapter per month, and that being our only new content to sate us, while having removed a lot of stuff in 4.0 that we could've done. So if we're only getting 1 Chapter per month, and the first of these Chapters isn't very good... then it doesn't look good for upcoming Chapters either, no?

If Chapter X is just like all the previous chapters, and able to be done easily in the space of an hour (or less) and as a Chapter is non-repeatable... then yeah, I would say people should consider whether or not it's worth subbing at all for the meantime when you can just sub in like a year's time and get all the content at once for far cheaper.

Certainly even I can't justify paying what amounts to ~$40 AUD a month for an afternoon's of content, and the rest of the time expected to twiddle my thumbs since I've done most everything else already.

And I'm the kind of guy who's spent endless hours Seeker Droiding mindlessly, so if it gets to the point I'm bored... well...

40 a month? I pay about 23 NZD a month so how is it 40 AUD?

40 a month? I pay about 23 NZD a month so how is it 40 AUD?

I love how people on this board have mastered the ancient art of "Ninja Quoting". This ancient oriental martial art relies on the fact that people quote a whole wall of text, only to try to find a single unimportant discrepancy/hyperbole/figure of speech in it to attack. They leave out the entire argument. That's your answer to the question: Hyperbole. Whether that hyperbole is of importance to you is up to...surprisingly, you. 25$ / 14.99$ / 12.99€ is still a lot for what was 40 minutes of content during the initial release (average of a single chapter).

Whether it is 25 AUD or 40 AUD is not really important to the sentiment he is mentioning in his post. Bioware would have to increase the quality or quantity of chapters as compared to the initial KotFE release in both cases. Tomorrow will be a very defining moment for the new model as we will finally get an indication of how long the chapters are going to be per month. If this chapter turns out to be shorter than some release chapters and releases by itself, I could also see the assumption of quite a few people switching to the "Buy once, play all!" mentality as sound.

Edited by Alssaran

And yet were happy to have zero new content after zoist leading up to 4.0.

A chapter a month be it 30min or several hours is just the same as having one huge update a year. In the end you will have about the same amount of play and would have paid the same amount . You still have the option of waiting until all of the story is out and pay a 1 month sub to get everything.

I like the idea of it been monthly to me its like going back to having a comic book when you got 30 pages of story then had to wait 1 month for the next issue. Sure get that this wont suit everyone but it is what it is.

As for make or brake, well I don't think it will have any kind of impact at all. Subs will go down in time but it's nothing to do with this, the resent film will of had its impact by then, subs will go down until the next film is out.

How much you pay is up to you, a game which has a free to play system makes your comment about how much it cost redundant as far as I am concerned. As for "bored" well take a brake for a few months that way if or when you come back at least there will be more than 1 chapter to do.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Just saying, I'm pretty sure we all expect a whole lot of "Is that it, my 15 dollar a month gets me X hour/s of content to sate me for an entire month?!?" threads tommorow and people threatening to (or actually) unsubbing as a result.

Right now it isn't looking too good, given how fast you can breeze through KOTFE 1-9 (skipping nothing mind you), I can't expect a single chapter plus one or two Alliance Alerts will keep anyone satisfied for very long... but that's the model we're stuck with at the moment.

Chapter X will demonstrate what we're to expect in the next 6+ months, so I hope it's good Bioware... if it's not, I can't see a lot left to justify staying subbed when you insisted on removing so much old content in 4.0 to begin with. I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself, but I'm doubtful I'm alone in this line of thinking either.

I see and understand a lot of what you are saying.

For me, I was a bit bored with the old SWTOR, and I had unsubbed for around 4-5 months prior to the announcement for KOTFE. The moment I saw the first KOTFE trailer I subbed, for 6 months, and it just renewed a week or so ago.

I have enjoyed building my Alliance more than any end-game grind (and it is that) in any game. The only way I think they could improve it is to make a more physical representation of the Alliance being built - somewhat similar to what LOTRO did with Hytbold. I'd have like to have seen several stages of Alliance Building. With the 1st stage just being the Public Areas of Odessen, complete one full set of Alliance Missions and it opens up the Control Room of the Instanced area and allows you to pick up a couple extra missions etc and so on. As things stand we get a few new NPC's zone in, that we can't react with in any meaningful way.

I also like the episodic content, a new chapter that lasts an hour or so each month is, in my opinion, better than 2 hours of new content once every 6 months.

All The Best

Yeah, monthly content is better than long breaks in between.

Yuph. GW 2 during the first 2 live seasons put out content every two weeks, and it was pretty well received.

I think an episodic model makes sense considering the format Bioware is using. To me it seems better than binging at any rate.

Not that I'm trying to binge play an Agent so I can have her in KotFE soon as possible :)

I'm curious. What was the shout out for PvP?

Did you mean the announcement about the announcement that there will be a new WZ in the future?

precisely. the fact that they even mentioned an incoming pvp update during a livestream was good news to me. (considering i've been muted for years on their twitch for asking where's the pvp love?)

I dont expect it until the 2nd half of the year thou, hopefully it will come to PTS before that

Edited by king_nile

I guess for you "new content tards". I could care less on the content as I spacebar through the ********. I want better pvp stuff, screw the damn content. And before someone tells me to play another game, please gfy. I only play this game because it's star wars, and it's the ONLY game I will play.