Nvidia GTX 970 SLI for Star Wars

BonnerFett

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, don't make us guess! :)

Ok, I'll guess... you feel like you have a new computer all of a sudden? :D

Where it makes a difference, it makes a very noticeable difference. Windows loads faster than it takes to get through POST, BIOS, and to Windows the splash screen. Loading between worlds / instances in SWTOR is remarkably faster. Etc.

You bet, happy to help. :)

The jump from a base of 3.3GHz on a Haswell era chip to 4.2GHz is actually a huge jump. Voltage and heat shouldn't be an issue, unless you really start to use all 6 cores.

Might I suggest you watch it if you DO decide to run something (like video encoding or 3D rendering) that will max out all 6 cores (and 12 threads), you might end up pushing it a bit in such a situation. Since SWTOR only uses 2 cores really, you are not likely at a lot of risk playing this game. :)

The Corsair H60 is a great unit, it is the 120mm version, the H90 in my main desktop is the 140mm version, but basically the same thing as far as I can recall, other than radiator and fan size.

I mostly used my PC for gaming. Don't do any rendering or video encoding, so I should be safe. I may have to take a look at my BIOS again, though I was able to change the cpu core speeds, and CPU-Z shows that I can 4.2 after changing to cores from auto to 42, my multiplier is still at 12 because I couldn't find anything in the BIOS to change it. Base Clock was set at 1.25 on 100mhz, so that might be it, but I'm not sure.

It's a learning process. :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.