Rift, 5-year-old game, getting multi-core support and 64-bit client this year

JediMasterSarynn

Read about it here:

http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2016/02/03/5-years-of-rift-new-producers-letter-from-archonix/

I can't help but think, "*** Bioware!". :mad:

A game slightly older than SWTOR and it continues to evolve content-wise, and now tech-wise. Yeah, I know all about SWTOR's engine. Still, would be great if Bioware could make these improvements to this game as well. Definitely needs it.

Read about it here:

http://www.trionworlds.com/rift/en/2016/02/03/5-years-of-rift-new-producers-letter-from-archonix/

I can't help but think, "*** Bioware!". :mad:

A game slightly older than SWTOR and it continues to evolve content-wise, and now tech-wise. Yeah, I know all about SWTOR's engine. Still, would be great if Bioware could make these improvements to this game as well. Definitely needs it.

It is the difference between a game that provides a significant portion of the parent company's revenue and that need to do well for them to continue and a game is not a significant portion of revenue and that exists b/c there is an IP contract that has yet to expire.

Nice to see... but every game is different and presents unique challenges.

EVE Online is my poster-child for updates and running a MMO - a couple of changes to the game engine, vastly improved graphics over the lifetime of the game, a vibrant community who drive a very active in-game economy, and very active in-game support from the publisher, and with a few exceptions a publisher who not only listens to the wishes of the community but also acts on those wishes.

Oh, and scheduled daily maintenance that typically lasts for less than 30 minutes unless major content/update pushes are being done.

For sure, EVE is not perfect, and as a sandbox MMO with very little fixed storyline, it is much easier to manage because of that lack, but given the game has been going now for almost 13 years (so it is even older than WoW), CCP (the publishers) must be doing something right.

I am just impressed that Rift producers were considerate enough to provide their player base with a road map for 2016.

You'd think that with all of the BW crickets on the forums that at least one would learn enough how to type out "1 chapter a month; that is all."

Wait, Rift still is running? I thought it was fun for 30 days with the Rifts, but what is keeping people there?

Actually pretty fun if you play with others. Doing it solo is kind of meh, but even with just one other person, it makes a big difference.

I bought a collector's box for Rift, and played it for a good while. I thought the system seemed rather good, great Outfit (Transmog) system, lots of open world stuff, plenty of quest lines... My problem with Rift was that I was just not into their game world lore. I could either ignore their lore, and treat it as a generic fantasy world... or be just, generally dissatisfied with ... you know, the core story. It didn't grab me, at all.

So... honestly, their system as it is now runs smoother and is less buggy than SWTOR, and they're improving it again.

I might want to dust off my game box, but sadly, the game world just doesn't have the charisma to keep me there.

if a bethesda game is STWOR's biggest story competitor then that says the compeition is pretty weak

Pls. I just tracked down a prototype drinking buddy robot and saved Good Neighbor from the darkest depths of suffering: Warm, poor quality beer and no jokes in the bar.

Edited by Joesixxpack

It's fun to experience the multiplayer aspect, in an MMO.

well, I did mention grouping for ops is fun. That's going to be true in any game. What I don't understand is why Rift would be better in general in a duo?

Grouping's appeal is basically the same regardless of which MMO.

... the game [Rift] world just doesn't have the charisma to keep me there.

OMG, this right here explains EXACTLY why my Rift never held my attention. I could never put my finger on it. it's a good game, decent gameplay and all that. But there was SOMETHING that was just...Meh.

It's lacking the Charisma that SWTOR (the stories at least) have. Thank you for finally putting to words what has eluded me forever :)

OMG, this right here explains EXACTLY why my Rift never held my attention. I could never put my finger on it. it's a good game, decent gameplay and all that. But there was SOMETHING that was just...Meh

If you've played one generic Orcs and Elves fantasy game, you've played them all.

Edited by branmakmuffin

If you've played one generic Orcs and Elves fantasy game, you've played them all.

This is also true, but they aren't without their charm.

I like/liked Rift and will still occasionally log in. But when I first started playing I just killed stuff and collected loot. When I told my husband about it, my words were, "Don't bother reading the quests, it's nothing special." Because, you see, SWTOR spoiled us, with cutscenes and voice acting lol.

I enjoyed Rift for a while but as others stated, the story was lacking. The initial story was meh and as time went on and they added/changed things, it began to break the storyline until it was almost impossible to follow anyway.

I liked the soul concept from a glance but in reality it could and frequently was a nightmare. The game was easy enough that you could run almost any combo for basic content but finding an optimal soul combo layout could get overly frustrating. On the upside, respecing was super easy and you could EASILY macro gear/abilities and swap on the fly.

Guilds were cross-faction so you could talk to and play with anyone you wanted to.

The Dimensions system was top notch and what one could wish Strongholds could even touch. Rift was an RPers dream. If anyone still plays, hop over to the Faeblight server and check out the Templars dimensions. Still one of the most gorgeous, inventive pieces of work.