A Legacy question.

DTalyn

I used to think if you wanted characters in your Legacy you had to add them to the Family Tree, but this isn't the case.

Allow me to jump on this topic and ask the question; what is the relevance of the Family Tree?

It has no relevance.

Or function.

Or anything.

Edited by PLynkes

I see, perhaps it was originally intended as a Legacy feature to be able to exchange items or unlocks but got scrapped.

It's a cosmetic thing that's really pitched at people heavily into the roleplaying aspects of the game, even if they aren't into full RP. I've seen it described as allowing you to record among your characters their participation in a key feature of Star Wars storytelling, the myriad connections of family, friendship, rivalry, and so on among the various personalities.

Of course, there are some sharp limitations, like a character being limited to two links of the ally/rival category, and a lack of effective handling of wide-and-deep family trees. And a few bugs in the layout engine on the diagram.

But yes, I'd say it is something that got a seriously large amount of neglect after it was introduced.

But yes, I'd say it is something that got a seriously large amount of neglect after it was introduced.

Love that turn of phrase! It sounds kinda Irish - In a nice way.

Family trees were for RP purposes- tho' it was rather limited. - Sith and Chiss have Twi'lek son? :confused:

I can't remember if you can look at other people's legacy tree - but I sometimes wonder how everyone in my legacy gets the same in-game spam mails from people advertising rather dodgy websites to buy credits.

There are benefits and limits to legacy, but no real disadvantages. - But you could have all your characters in different guilds with no penalty.

If you want, you can toggle around the character's name and title and choose "do not display Legacy name". That pretty much takes care of the problem.

Sure, your characters going to share a stronghold, and send credits to each other, but that's for convenience, not story.

How do I remove a character from my Legacy? For example, I have a Legacy with my Sith character, but I don't want him to share with my Jedi character. So how do I separate them?

The other option would be to transfer the Jedi to another server, which would then have a different legacy. But as the server transfer costs credits/cartel coins, deleting the Jedi and rolling a Jedi on another server would serve the same purpose.

Allow me to jump on this topic and ask the question; what is the relevance of the Family Tree?

It's a social aspect intended to help with "immersion". It's probably of most interest to RP players. Other than that it has no more relevance than say, a dye pack.

Ah okay, I guess I'll have to tolerate that filthy Jedi

Well, I don't see the problem, it's not like they have to split perks between them. You must be a bit Rp'ish,. :rolleyes:

But I understand it - a filthy DS Sith Warrior is polluting my Legacy. :D

Edited by JediQuaker

It's a social aspect intended to help with "immersion". It's probably of most interest to

Well, I don't see the problem, it's not like they have to split perks between them. You must be a bit Rp'ish,. :rolleyes:

But I understand it - a filthy DS Sith Warrior is polluting my Legacy. :D

LOL, yeah I am Rp'ish as you say.:D

@Erevan: I was thinking about starting/switch a Jedi on another server. But I'll guess my Sith will have to share.:)

Family trees were for RP purposes- tho' it was rather limited. - Sith and Chiss have Twi'lek son? :confused:
That's where the "adopted child" option comes in....
LOL, yeah I am Rp'ish as you say.:D

@Erevan: I was thinking about starting/switch a Jedi on another server. But I'll guess my Sith will have to share.:)

As mentioned above, they don't have to be family, or even friends. You can make them rivals. Then you can keep & play both. And they can hate each other however much you want them to.

How do I make them rivals?
It's one of the options that pops up when you drag one character onto the other in the Family Tree. Looks like an angry face, will be upper right of the various options. And it will say "Add as Rival" on it.

Start your Tree by dragging your Sith to the circle at the center. Then drag your Jedi onto your Sith, and several icons will show up around it. Drop your Jedi on the one that says "Add as Rival", and the two will be rivals.

Note that if you later decide to make an "older" character to be a "parent" of your Sith (or Jedi), you will have to completely delete your tree and start it again with the character you want as the "parent", so you can add the other as a "child" (either biological or adopted) and then continue from there.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

It's one of the options that pops up when you drag one character onto the other in the Family Tree. Looks like an angry face, will be upper right of the various options. And it will say "Add as Rival" on it.

Start your Tree by dragging your Sith to the circle at the center. Then drag your Jedi onto your Sith, and several icons will show up around it. Drop your Jedi on the one that says "Add as Rival", and the two will be rivals.

Note that if you later decide to make an "older" character to be a "parent" of your Sith (or Jedi), you will have to completely delete your tree and start it again with the character you want as the "parent", so you can add the other as a "child" (either biological or adopted) and then continue from there.

Thanks! That was really helpful.:)