Ranked players: Thought exercise for you

Master-Nala

How do you think the following teams would perform in ranked:

1) A well balanced team of a: tank specced and geared Juggernaut; healing sorcerer, DPS sorcerer, DPS PT

2) Four Sorcerer healers only casting Affliction on one focused target while healing each other to full. If it gets to acid 1 or more bubbles at 100% health to avoid getting hit before acid strikes.

I'm not suggesting these teams fighting each other. I mean, against the population of ranked players, how do you think each team would do assuming reasonably skilled players.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

I suspect that all other things being equal, team 2 would be more durable, but they would also be easier to beat in pretty much any objective-based pvp, because 2 DPS and 1 healer should be pretty effective at shutting them down as a group, leaving 1 person spare to cap/take objectives, and so on. The 4 healer group would probably need to stick together, so the team can effectively be only in one place at a time.

Comparing that to the trinity group, which could split into two groups (tank and heal; 2 x DPS) if needed for many scenarios.

How do you think the following teams would perform in ranked:

1) A well balanced team of a: tank specced and geared Juggernaut; healing sorcerer, DPS sorcerer, DPS PT

2) Four Sorcerer healers only casting Affliction on one focused target while healing each other to full. If it gets to acid 1 or more bubbles at 100% health to avoid getting hit before acid strikes.

I'm not suggesting these teams fighting each other. I mean, against the population of ranked players, how do you think each team would do assuming reasonably skilled players.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Why would your jugg tank stay in dps gear, against that comp your tank alone could pull 3k+ dps and if all four players line up their burst with carb or fear it would be possible to kill or make one of the healing sorcs bubble;

Both teams have a chance of winning, the all healing team is hoping that they can get to acid with at least two barriers (since the other team has two sorcs) whereas the conventional team has to pull barriers from at least two of the healing sorcs before acid.

Pit the same gimmick team against a hard swap team and they lose most of the time.

Edited by alexsamma

I suspect that all other things being equal, team 2 would be more durable, but they would also be easier to beat in pretty much any objective-based pvp, because 2 DPS and 1 healer should be pretty effective at shutting them down as a group, leaving 1 person spare to cap/take objectives, and so on. The 4 healer group would probably need to stick together, so the team can effectively be only in one place at a time.

Comparing that to the trinity group, which could split into two groups (tank and heal; 2 x DPS) if needed for many scenarios.

Stop this stupid objectives obsession, he/she asks about team ranked.

Pit the same gimmick team against a hard swap team and they lose most of the time.

Could you talk me through the strategy there?

My question in the OP was more about the viability of the 'gimmick' team. For my part, I'm wondering how such a team, played by good to great players could be defeated. I don't think they could kill anyone either, but it seems the only way to take them down is to literally global them one at a time and I'm trying to figure out if that's possible.

I'm assuming that the 'gimmick' team can react to the focusing of any of their number within 1 GCD. So you're looking at a team having to do about 80K of damage in a very small time window.

Edited by Master-Nala

The proper team if they are any good should win every time. CC, hard swap etc.

And they would fight each other a lot, because the ranked population is near non-existent. ;)

wasn't the whole DDOS fiasco caused by a troll team of 2 heals and 2 tanks taking a team to acid and winning that way? this sounds like the same thing.