How hard can it be??

ijustcantbelieve

Hello all good evening.

Weeks after weeks months after months, this game as problems basicly every week, bugs on events, rewards not granted on exact time, titles not given, gtn search box, etc etc etc and now the login service is down.

So i do not understand anyhting about progaming, or servers, or creating a game and place it online, but as spoken before like 4 years ago BW EA and LUCAS ARTS join forces for massive star wars game online, something that players never seen, somethign new etc etc etc (good selling tactics tbh) and now after 4 years the long list of problems and bugs and fixes rises day after day, and the best thing ever is you guys placing the gamers doing your job and coming to oficial foruns saying it " we want to ear your feedback to isolate the problems and fix them" and yes you were warned, it was told to you and still no fix no nothing. Basicly you guys put the subscribers doing your job while you can sit back and relax on your chairs drinking a glass of water or coffee or vodka or gin and turn on pc and see the details list of gammers identifiyng the bugs and problems for you guys.

So how hard can it be?? this is my question. How hard can it be to solve something that the paying comunity tells you and it seems you still don´t care... How hard can it be? What more you guys want?

I couldn´t believe something of this nature happening from a BW or even EA letting this happen.

The servers are sitting in some warehouse owned by a third party. If servers go completely down, they have to drive there and restart manually. Since it is Sunday on a holiday weekend, some poor shmuck has to get called in to drive to the warehouse and restart.

Only fix would be to have duplicate servers that they can start remotely in emergencies (doubling their server costs), or they can hire someone to sit at the warehouse 24/7 (which would be too expensive to justify)

Edited by Axemilles

The servers are sitting in some warehouse owned by a third party. If servers go completely down, they have to drive there and restart manually. Since it is Sunday on a holiday weekend, some poor shmuck has to get called in to drive to the warehouse and restart.

Only fix would be to have duplicate servers that they can start remotely in emergencies (doubling their server costs), or they can hire someone to sit at the warehouse 24/7 (which would be too expensive to justify)

Hey hey hey, we will have none of that logic here sir!

So how hard can it be?? this is my question. How hard can it be to solve something that the paying comunity tells you and it seems you still don´t care... How hard can it be? What more you guys want?

I couldn´t believe something of this nature happening from a BW or even EA letting this happen.

Let's see, millions upon millions of lines of code, with everythng interacting with each other... database upon database just so you can login, run an op, play with a few friends... Hmm...I wonder how long it could take to fix what SEEMS to be a few glitches. It's tracking down the one little comma that may be in the wrong spot over millions of lines of code.... Give it time... they put out a lot of fixes, but usually they wait to do it in a big patch....

^^Agreed.

However, companies will normally post when they're having an issue; weekend or not and will also post when an issue is resolved. Someone is always checking on them remotely. When a company stops doing that, it's a signal that the game doesn't mean as much to them anymore. While that doesn't mean they're about to pull the plug on the game it'd not a good sign either. Nor is the fact that the main decision maker came up through the EA Sports ranks.

There's a lot of renewed interest in Star Wars right now but this game was modeled after the old Knights of the Old Republic crpgs that I played on an Xbox well over 10 years ago. That isn't necessarily the Star Wars people are interested in now; especially since Disney has de-canonized virtually everything but the movies, two cartoon shows (Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels), and their own comics.

I don't know what kind of licensing agreement EA has but I wouldn't be surprised if the game is pulled within the next few years so that Disney can go with the company, and cover the time periods, they want to go with.

^^Agreed.

However, companies will normally post when they're having an issue; weekend or not and will also post when an issue is resolved. Someone is always checking on them remotely. When a company stops doing that, it's a signal that the game doesn't mean as much to them anymore. While that doesn't mean they're about to pull the plug on the game it'd not a good sign either. Nor is the fact that the main decision maker came up through the EA Sports ranks.

There's a lot of renewed interest in Star Wars right now but this game was modeled after the old Knights of the Old Republic crpgs that I played on an Xbox well over 10 years ago. That isn't necessarily the Star Wars people are interested in now; especially since Disney has de-canonized virtually everything but the movies, two cartoon shows (Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels), and their own comics.

I don't know what kind of licensing agreement EA has but I wouldn't be surprised if the game is pulled within the next few years so that Disney can go with the company, and cover the time periods, they want to go with.

Meh, I think you're being a little dramatic there. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually stopped making new content, but it's very unlikely that the servers will be pulled any time soon. Servers are relatively cheap to run and they only need a few thousand players for that aspect to remain profitable. The real costs are development labor.

[Cue John Williams Music]

[start Crawl]

STAR WARS THE OLD REPUBLIC

ATTACK OF THE MAINTENTENCE MODE

It was a dark time at the BIOWARE Austin Offices.

After years of being under the thumb of the evil

EA ALLIANCE, the STAR WARS property rights

were sold off to the ruthless DISNEY EMPIRE.

Fearing the worst, BIOWARE stocked up on

depends adult diapers and stopped all further

development on anything that resembled a

multiplayer environment. Cueing up some

single player development that was in the pipe,

and launching a final PR assault, timed to a movie,

BIOWARE begins the end of development.

[/crawl]

[/music]

[pan camera down, zoom in on computer monitor showing blue screen of death]

Meh, I think you're being a little dramatic there. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually stopped making new content, but it's very unlikely that the servers will be pulled any time soon. Servers are relatively cheap to run and they only need a few thousand players for that aspect to remain profitable. The real costs are development labor.

You're right. But looking at the way both EA and Disney do business, I don't see either one as playing nice with the other. Again, this all depends on what the licensing deal allows EA to do and for how long. Cost is irrelevant. I just don't see Disney allowing another company to maintain a competing product.

except EA ISN'T maintaining a competing product. EA is maintaining a lisenced product. and given the fact EA was given a larger lisence for star wars for a ten year period, I'd suggest this means Disney is pretty happy with how EA's done.

Disney and EA may seem like the evil empire, but the agreement is solid, and, assuming EA profits off their SW games, likely mutually profitable for both.

they put out a lot of fixes

Not recently. They've been creating more bugs than they've been fixing. Bugs that have been around for years haven't been fixed. Something as simple and arguably important as the option to set camera sensitivity has been broken for over a year, if not two. Operations have bugs all over the place, pretty much all of the recent events have had major bugs. Big bugs like the GTN or any of the recent exploits were known for weeks before BioWare bothered to fix them. There's lots and lots of bugs and very few fixes.

"There are millions of lines of code" is a good excuse for why any given bug is taking a while to fix. When there's such a prevalence of unfixed bugs that comes down to bad developers and/or bad management and a lack of resources.

You're right. But looking at the way both EA and Disney do business, I don't see either one as playing nice with the other. Again, this all depends on what the licensing deal allows EA to do and for how long. Cost is irrelevant. I just don't see Disney allowing another company to maintain a competing product.

I don't mean to be rude, but your suggestion is silly. Since Disney purchased LucasArts, they are now getting a share of SWTOR's profits, so EA is not a competitor. Also, in 2013 Disney granted EA exclusive rights to produce every single Star Wars game outside of the mobile sphere, so the relationship between the two companies seems pretty healthy.

Edited by Axemilles

Hello all good evening.

Weeks after weeks months after months, this game as problems basicly every week, bugs on events, rewards not granted on exact time, titles not given, gtn search box, etc etc etc and now the login service is down.

So i do not understand anyhting about progaming, or servers, or creating a game and place it online, but as spoken before like 4 years ago BW EA and LUCAS ARTS join forces for massive star wars game online, something that players never seen, somethign new etc etc etc (good selling tactics tbh) and now after 4 years the long list of problems and bugs and fixes rises day after day, and the best thing ever is you guys placing the gamers doing your job and coming to oficial foruns saying it " we want to ear your feedback to isolate the problems and fix them" and yes you were warned, it was told to you and still no fix no nothing. Basicly you guys put the subscribers doing your job while you can sit back and relax on your chairs drinking a glass of water or coffee or vodka or gin and turn on pc and see the details list of gammers identifiyng the bugs and problems for you guys.

Game is hard for devs too.

Hello all good evening.

Actually, in 2003 Sony Online Entertainment and LucasArts created something that most players in this game have never seen. A sandbox Star Wars MMO. Just wanted to point that out considering that the context of your sentence, "4 years ago BW EA and LUCAS ARTS join forces for massive star wars game online, something that players never seen", seems like it's implying that this game was the first and only Star Wars MMO.

Edited by Renata_Roselli

so two things

1. EA is milking its cash cow to the very end. This is just an example of a company that is poorly managed. And its not EA here its the BW Austin office that is mismanaging here through horrible leadership. The game makes EA a ton of money through its cash store. So EA does not see the mess it has but sees money rolling in and hence BW Austin keeps the job they have.

2. Disney while giving EA rights has shown signs they see the money potential in star wars games and through hints in recent interviews it looks as if lucas arts the game side of the company will have a revival. Once this happens coupled with the troubling reviews and slipping subscriptions of swtor, Disney will and has the right to pull its agreement with EA. Thing is Disney is a company all about and has always been about image. And SWTOR is not a good image for Disney. While it might not be today or tomorrow or this month, the writing is on the wall for BW austim and for EA. EA will act very swiftly when Disney comes knocking about yanking its not mega brand star wars and the axe will fall hard with those that are at BW Austin. This isn't wishful thinking, this is just pure logical business dealings.

So will SWTOR survive who knows, my guess certainly will because EA will want to keep that license strong and will want its cash cow SWTOR.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.