SWTOR keeps freezing and locking up my desktop.

DARKLORDLS

Hello all,

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to computers but I have been trying to fix the issue of my computer locking up on my own with no luck.

I have an NVIDIA GTX980.

During game play the game will either have to reload the screen during play or it will lock up completely. I have tried to run the repair tool from the login which didn't work. I also went into NVIDIA Experience and set the game to run at optimal settings.

All I know is it's getting insanely annoying and making me not want to play anymore...

Reposting this from another thread I answered.

Sometimes it means an asset is corrupted. Did you try to fix/repair your game files?

• If you are using the BitRaider version of the launcher, noted by the letters "ST" in the lower left hand corner, then you can go into your game folder, delete the entire folder called "BitRaider", and it will force the launcher to re-verify all the files.

Its often video card driver related. Make sure you have a recent (not necessarily most up-to-date) version of your driver and the redistributable package for DirectX 9.0c. Newer machines and therefore newer versions of windows emulate directx 9 and there can be some compatiblity issues.

Whenever I have crash to desktop issues I always start with those two steps before I do anything. Clean uninstall of driver, re-install of driver, re-install of directx, and forced verification of all game files. Now, that may be overkill but it fixes the problem most of the time for me

It's odd how people always seem to think a crash is related to their video driver. In fact, these crashes are often related to glitches or conflicts between various other drivers, particularly sound. So, make sure all your drivers - chipset, LAN (network), audio, video - are up to date.

It also helps if Windows is up to date - so if it's not set to auto-update, do a manual update.

In some cases it may even involve a BIOS update.

Also, of course, make sure things are not overheating. Open the rig up and clean the dust out.

Edited by JediQuaker

• 5 years later...

It is 2021 and this issue is still common. Updated drivers, checked game files and still locks up often.

Note it is almost always with movement, rarely if every just locks up spontaneously. It is when you are moving and acting.

Edited by Saxxonknight

It is 2021 and this issue is still common. Updated drivers, checked game files and still locks up often.

Yes, it's 2021 and people still have old drivers and dusty computers. Who da thunk it!

Most likely your system is overheating. Clean the dust out and make sure all cooling fans are running properly.

If it's a laptop, make sure you run it on a smooth flat surface so air can circulate through the bottom.

Edited by JediQuaker

• 6 months later...

Issues with cut scenes can sometimes be resolved by this method:

1. Close the game

2. Delete the game's cache file DiskCacheArena; it is located in the swtor subfolder in the folder where you installed the game (something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor"). The game will re-create it.

Additionally, there's no harm is doing this as well:

3. If you use standalone launcher, start the game and log in, go to Settings (pull down the menu next to your account name at top-right) and choose Repair.

4. If you play via Steam, see check your file integrity