ATTENTION: Share your Warzones Frames Per Second in this thread (Thanks in advance!).

SVTCarnage

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sample of FRAPs benchmarks I took from whole warzones before I quit:

2015-12-22 21:21:29 - swtor

Frames: 15371 - Time: 605812ms - Avg: 25.373 - Min: 0 - Max: 55

2015-12-22 21:35:52 - swtor

Frames: 9299 - Time: 411438ms - Avg: 22.601 - Min: 0 - Max: 57

2015-12-22 21:51:58 - swtor

Frames: 20395 - Time: 708094ms - Avg: 28.803 - Min: 0 - Max: 57

2015-12-22 22:08:41 - swtor

Frames: 10641 - Time: 420781ms - Avg: 25.289 - Min: 0 - Max: 58

2015-12-23 14:15:15 - swtor

Frames: 1366 - Time: 40360ms - Avg: 33.845 - Min: 0 - Max: 61

2015-12-23 14:21:27 - swtor

Frames: 11608 - Time: 390891ms - Avg: 29.696 - Min: 7 - Max: 54

2015-12-23 14:37:20 - swtor

Frames: 6966 - Time: 299047ms - Avg: 23.294 - Min: 12 - Max: 54

2015-12-23 14:48:49 - swtor

Frames: 3003 - Time: 92141ms - Avg: 32.591 - Min: 0 - Max: 61

2015-12-23 14:56:17 - swtor

Frames: 22623 - Time: 1044688ms - Avg: 21.655 - Min: 0 - Max: 52

2015-12-23 15:28:55 - swtor

Frames: 16551 - Time: 604672ms - Avg: 27.372 - Min: 6 - Max: 59

2015-12-23 15:58:28 - swtor

Frames: 6166 - Time: 287219ms - Avg: 21.468 - Min: 5 - Max: 39

2015-12-23 16:08:39 - swtor

Frames: 10532 - Time: 248875ms - Avg: 42.318 - Min: 0 - Max: 62

2015-12-23 16:23:17 - swtor

Frames: 23793 - Time: 931625ms - Avg: 25.539 - Min: 2 - Max: 52

Outside of Warzones I'm rocking 60+ FPS constantly. Even when jerking around at the Fleet :cool:

Intel i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz (boosted to 3.2 GHz with Turbo Boost)

Nvidia GeForce GTX 850M 2GB DDR3

8 (2x4) GB DDR3 RAM

7200 RPM 1TB HDD + 24 GB SSD

Can run Skyrim, GTAV, Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XIV, Divinity Original Sin, and so on and so forth at high+ in 1920x1080 at 60+ FPS easily :rolleyes:

SWTOR Unleashed, setting affinity to half cores or priority to High or removing Vsync and setting everything to low does nothing.

I ordered a i5 6600K 3.5 GHz (3.9GHz boosted, can be oc'd to 4 or even 4.5 GHz) & a GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB DDR5 + 8 GB DDR4 RAM desktop, but I sure as hell won't play this when I will be able to play Battlefront 4, Crisis, Farcry, Gta V or Guild Wars 2 or Witcher 3 (which I couldn't get higher than 40 FPS on my above rig :( ) at ULTRA settings with 80~110 FPS easily :D

Edited by Eltohan

what i dont seem to understand is that in low bracket pvp i have no fps problems at all. but in lvl 65 pvp everybody (even people with insane rigs) have fps dips

It has been speculated for a while that the game fails to renders higher than 20-25 fps during combat because of the huge amount of animations, FXs, sounds, textures etc it has to load on the fly and its dual 32 bits .exe processes actually doesn't help at all, making one max out at 2GB vram while the other is idle :p

Or, it could be some weird SWTOR servers issue; such as they fail to send data fast enough (and you can't fix it by being on cable wired internet, it's on their ends)

Or just the game that fails to load everything fast enough like any modern day engine. (they actually BOUGHT the Hero Engine back in 2005 BEFORE completion under the because they were in a hurry and thought they could complete it on their own :D They actually refused help from the original Hero Engine devs and they (the Hero Engine devs) actually said they couldn't recognize the engine anymore with all the "optimizations" BioWare did to it :rolleyes: )

That's why you can get higher FPS in lowbie Warzones: Players have less abilities they can use continuously: thus the engine has less to load on the fly constantly.

That's why being solo questing allows you to keep high FPS because the only non AI controlled entity using abilities is you, and you alone (unless by some miracle you're around another real human player :D )

That's why in Flashpoints & Operations you can achieve much higher FPS than in Warzones: You're only 4 (or 8) real players fighting the preloaded AI scripts.

That's why they made Ranked PvP into 4vs4 Arenas: Less stuff to load and smoother FPS ;)

It could be some weird SWTOR servers issue; such as they fail to send data fast enough (and you can't fix it by being on cable wired internet, it's on their ends)

Found one of the references on this topic here in the last topic about "Horrid FPS!" (I think they got about 6 or 7K posts on the issue from way back in november 2011 in the span of 6 or 7 capped threads with 1K posts in each :D )

Running pingplotter shows that Level3 servers right before Bioware servers are the killers...they are horrible....anything passing through them results from 85%-50% packet loss. That's insane...the only people Level3 will listen to is Bioware or your ISP...and neither is claiming responsibility. It is a DAM mess!

Reading some old posts about Ilum's framerate 'performances' was heartwarming :p

Edited by Eltohan

Well I would personally like to add my 2 cents here. I've pretty much been in the same situation as far as attitude towards swtor for a while, that pvp was clunky, jittery and buggy. However I recently tried this game out on an i5 Intel processor with a GeForce Gtx 960 graphics card ( which really isn't that expensive) and let me tell you how " fast" my attitude towards this game changed.. I currently have an amd quad core setup 16gb ram and a Gtx 960.. Which put me at about 10-20 FPS in war zones. I kept blaming the game and the engine etc.. Just like most other people do. And then I played on my friends basic *** i5.. Night and day bro. All those stupid *** bugs that some were mentioning above completely went away, literally an old *** i5 pretty much runs this game between 50-60fps in war zones. It blew my f u k I n g mind on how much better this game plays. So I guess the morale of the story is " since this game is more cpu dependent than gpu dependent, chances are you are experiencing ****** gameplay, because well your computer probably can't handle it". And if you do have a decent rig and are still experiencing lag, bugs, and bull **** than...well **** I don't have any answers for you.

Remember this game relies more on SINGLE CORE PROCESSING than expensive graphics cards.

When I get my rig setup ( which will be this week) I will update you guys on how it performs in warzones.

This is what I will be installing

I5-4590 3.3ghz ( turbo boost 3.7ghz)

Liquid cooled to ensure I stay turbo boosted

16gb corsair 1866mhz memory

Gtx 960 ssc 4gb ddr5 graphics card

Ssd

750watt power supply

I'll let you guys know how it does.

This is MMOrpg

with autotarget and GCD mechanics FPS doesn't affect your skillz much , its just unenjoyable to play like this (for me)

um yes it does effect fps esp since mine is so low icant react to stuff as fast and autotarget no i click my wz frames by hand and use my naga to heal wih all 3 healing classes at 15 fps #getonmylvl #whatsyourexcuse

It should be noted that you can check your current (and lowest in the past 10 seconds) framerate by keeping your CTRL+SHIFT+F ingame FPS display BUT also install FRAPS and press the Benchmark key at the start of your Warzone(s) (provided you assigned a keyboard shortcut to it) and then press that Benchmark hotkey AGAIN but at the end at the moment the scoreboard appears.

Then you'll be able to see your averaged FPS over the whole duration in your FRAPSLOG.TXT file in your FRAPS directory. It also writes down the LOWEST frame per second value it 'recorded' during its benchmark.

It has 0 impact on ingame performance by the way.

The reason I said to keep the ingame FPS display while doing this is because the FRAPS one disappears while it is in benchmark mode :cool:

I ran a good chunk of benchmarks (pretty sure I already posted them here, or maybe it was another thread) and it NEVER got above 25 averaged FPS on the long run, my average death per warzone was maybe 2 or 3. So yeah, spent lots of time in battle. If you manage to stay away from battle a while your FPS will kick back into the 30-40ish at best though. But it's when in combat that it matters the most :rolleyes:

Edited by Eltohan

All of you with fps issues, did you install DX9.0c redistributable from Microsoft? It doesn't come installed in newer versions of Windows after XP, and SWTOR needs it. The second thing is video drivers, the latest driver is not the best one for SWTOR, both GPU makers have issues with a host of older games suffering performance or quality issues on their latest drivers. Even then you have to experiment to find the best driver version for YOUR hardware, because despite similar names not all hardware is equal and will perform the same. The best driver version for XFX's R9 290 might not necessarily be the best version for Sapphire's R9 290.

And lastly, Direct X 9 is largely the culprit for the reduced performance when lots of particle effects are present, especially when your CPU is under load. You can test it yourself here: http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/legacy. Download 3dMark06, use the key provided on the website to activate it, and run a series of tests.

The GPU tests run fanstastic, even in combat scenes with lots of particle effects the frame rate stays more than acceptable. The CPU test though, your FPS will crash and hard. Try it out, then realize that SWTOR is closer in approximation to the CPU test than to the GPU test.

I average 15-25 fps in most warzones. I will dip down to 5-9 fps depending on the amount of sorcs in the warzone. My current system is:

I7-5820k @ 3.7GHz

64GB RAM (entire game is loaded into a RAM disk)

Nvidia gtx 970

According to the fps meter my game is bottlenecked by my GPU. However if I change all graphics settings to low everywhere and turn off everything pretty much I still get the same fps numbers and the fps counter still suggest the GPU is the problem.

Here is what the colors of the fps counters mean and what the numbers mean:

Red = Rendering bound/Video Card

Green = Simulation bound/CPU

Yellow = Mix of both

Current FPS (Lowest FPS over the last 10 seconds or so)

To be honest with you, I experienced the same thing and the only explanation I have for it is that someone mixed up the colors. I only get a green FPS counter when I am certainly rendering bound (turn graphics up to max on everything, fps turns green), and I always have a red counter when I know I am simulation bound (turn graphics down, enter warzone, still red fps counter).

However, rendering is not necessarily the GPU that is bottlenecking it, it could very well be the CPU that bottlenecking the rendering pipeline from the start. So regardless of what color it is for the vast majority of people with a decent GPU in their computer, the bottleneck is almost always going to be the CPU.

All of you with fps issues, did you install DX9.0c redistributable from Microsoft? It doesn't come installed in newer versions of Windows after XP, and SWTOR needs it. The second thing is video drivers, the latest driver is not the best one for SWTOR, both GPU makers have issues with a host of older games suffering performance or quality issues on their latest drivers. Even then you have to experiment to find the best driver version for YOUR hardware, because despite similar names not all hardware is equal and will perform the same. The best driver version for XFX's R9 290 might not necessarily be the best version for Sapphire's R9 290.

And lastly, Direct X 9 is largely the culprit for the reduced performance when lots of particle effects are present, especially when your CPU is under load. You can test it yourself here: http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/legacy. Download 3dMark06, use the key provided on the website to activate it, and run a series of tests.

The GPU tests run fanstastic, even in combat scenes with lots of particle effects the frame rate stays more than acceptable. The CPU test though, your FPS will crash and hard. Try it out, then realize that SWTOR is closer in approximation to the CPU test than to the GPU test.

I will experiment with this when I get home.

For Nvidia drivers this thread:http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=609510

Edited by SVTCarnage

20 - 30 fps

Run on Custom High settings with Shadows on low/med

FX8350 OC to 4.6

Asus Sabertooth 8gig 1866

GTX 970 G1

Is your OC a multiplier OC or FSB OC? If it's a multiplier OC, try doing a FSB since those will give the best overall performance for AMD chips.

Here's a guide with some pointers, keep in mind that this is on 970 SB chip, but it's basically the same except your board is more capable (Sabertooth is 990 FX chipset, and better power phasing than the M5 boards).

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard#post_19033091

I7-5820K @ 4.3 GHz

Gigabyte G1 Mobo

32 GB of Ram

Power Color Devil 13 290X2

Res 3440X1440 aspect 21:9 Settings MAX out.

Last I looked it bottoms out at 40 to 45 FPS I don't really notice as the Free Sync on the Acer XR341CK makes everything go really smooth until it drops below 30 FPS which I haven't had any game do yet.

Edited by Kinsal

Has anyone tried out the dx9.0c on windows 10 being successful?

Alright have done some 50+ warzones the past few days and these are my observations. I turned up all graphic settings to max except shadows which I turned off. Queshball has in general ability lag and poor fps. The more sorcs and assassins you add to the mix the worse it becomes. Hypergate is fine until you get more than 4 sorcs in the warzone. If I have 4 sorcs in hypergates I get queshball experience.

The other warzones in general never dip below 40 fps as long there are less than 6 sorcs in the warzones. And I had a few games with no sorcs at all (republic queuing) and I never dipped below 60 fps. This is anecdotal evidence but it seems my pvp experience get better the less inquisitors there are in the warzone. Something must be up with the abilities with that class. It appears the amount of consulars do nothing to affect fps negatively.

Falcon NW here:

GTX Titan X (useless for this game but nice for some others)

i6700 (Skylake) @4ghz

At 2560x1440, I've never gotten less than 40fps (apart from loading screens), usually get around 60 and idle at ~100. While the quality here is fine for me, I don't actually think there's a professionally made game out there that I do nearly that bad on.

Is your OC a multiplier OC or FSB OC? If it's a multiplier OC, try doing a FSB since those will give the best overall performance for AMD chips.

Here's a guide with some pointers, keep in mind that this is on 970 SB chip, but it's basically the same except your board is more capable (Sabertooth is 990 FX chipset, and better power phasing than the M5 boards).

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard#post_19033091

Nice link thanks. I may give it a go. It's a multi OC on air, which is why I stopped where I'm at. If I ever get liquid cooling I'll work on a multi + FSB. Haven't done a FSB OC since my Core2Duo e8600.

i7 4960k @ 4.8ghz

980 ti

m2 hd

run at full settings at 1440p

dips into 40s every now and again, rumor has it thats part of speed hacking toons hopping around the match, whatever

If no issues such as those weird characters stays above 50 usually at the 60 hz vert sync just fine

i7 4790K @ 4.3GHz | Asus Z97-Deluxe/USB 3.1 Motherboard | (8x4) Corsair Dominator Plat. DHX 32GB 2400MHz DDR3 Memory | 2xSLI PNY nVidia GTX 980 Ti | Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Corsair HX1000i 1000W PSU | Acer X34 Predator + GSYNC Monitor | Windows 7 Pro. | nVidia driver 353.62

Average around 35 FPS in WZs.

Nice link thanks. I may give it a go. It's a multi OC on air, which is why I stopped where I'm at. If I ever get liquid cooling I'll work on a multi + FSB. Haven't done a FSB OC since my Core2Duo e8600.

Sorry, went on vacation.

Anyways, should try it out on the Sabertooth, reportedly people are getting well over 240 MHz FSB, which you can do some really nice gains with across the board, not just your CPU. I have the M5A99 FX board and it maxed at 250 but heat was a bugger. The Sabertooth should do better simply due to having more power phasing than my M5.

Also, with AMD overclocks, keep in mind the turbo boost feature. You can get a nice stable OC on your normal multiplier with either stock or low offset voltage, then enable turbo multiplier up to 4.8 or even 5.0 GHz. Now whenever your computer is not using all cores, it'll corresponding bump up in use cores as other cores go idle. With a game like SWTOR, where you are only using 2 cores all the time, and the others only for brief instances, you'll effectively be running the game on a 4.8+ GHz clock speed (for a 4.4 GHz base, 5.0 GHz turbo).

The nice thing about UEFI Bios though is those OC profiles, once you find a few stable OCs of different variations you can then save them and test them out and run the best one for whatever game you want to play. There's no best way to overclock, so much depends on the hardware and software interact, so just play and find out. :D