Kyber Crystals

SithKoriandr

So, according to Starwars.com the crystals are colorless until attuned to the force user and the color is based on them.

So, the question is, what do all the colors represent?!

Red is evil and power

Blue is justice/protector

Purple a mixture of dark/light side

Green is calm and collected

But we're allowed so many other choices!

So, according to Starwars.com the crystals are colorless until attuned to the force user and the color is based on them.

Red is evil and power

I wouldn't label those as that.

It is really personal preference.

Red is evil and power

Kind of interesting - i looked up "kyber crystal" and went to the link to the Wookiepedia page. It was (what i call) a dual page, in that it had a "caanon" and a "legends" part. Kyber Crystal was "canon", but when i flipped it to "Legends", it was simple "Lightsaber Crystals". That got me wondering: all thsese lightsaber crystal types we see in game, those are just legends stuff? In canon stuff, they just use kyber crystals?

At first, i've figured that different colors were just a product of using a different crystal, but.... well now i wonder.

Sorry, no answer from me. Just more questions.

Kind of interesting - i looked up "kyber crystal" and went to the link to the Wookiepedia page. It was (what i call) a dual page, in that it had a "caanon" and a "legends" part. Kyber Crystal was "canon", but when i flipped it to "Legends", it was simple "Lightsaber Crystals". That got me wondering: all thsese lightsaber crystal types we see in game, those are just legends stuff? In canon stuff, they just use kyber crystals?

At first, i've figured that different colors were just a product of using a different crystal, but.... well now i wonder.

Kanaan Jarus' explanation to Ezra Bridger (SW:Rebels Episode 8 "Path of the Jedi") is simply that it is a lightsaber crystal. The sentence itself leaves open, IMO, the possibility that a Kyber crystal is a type of crystal used in lightsabers. We know from Clone Wars Season 5 Episode 6 "The Gathering" that lightsaber crystals also came from Ilum and they are not referred to by any scientific or other classification name.

There may be more canon sources but those are the only ones of which I know.

In the original KOTOR, all the power crystal types we have as crafting materials here were combination stat/color crystals, likely for ease of game systems. Here, they are used in the creation of hilts but don't change attributes the way they did in KOTOR and you still need a color crystal. So even within Legends, material it isn't consistent.

Blue- Jedi Guardian- Warrior. Focuses on combat and rooting out evil. Very strong lightsaber techniques and very powerful in the use of lightsaber.

Green- Jedi Consular- Focuses on Force abilities and uses negotiations to solve conflicts. Very strong force abilities but don’t make great duelists.

Yellow- Jedi Sentinel- Focuses on other abilities such as tracking, technology, surveillance and espionage Main goal is to see out and destroy traces of the darkside.

Red- Mainly used by sith and dark Jedi. Red is more compatible with dark side energies. They are also synthetic and do not grow naturally.

Purple- Uses Both lightside and darkside techniques. Usually more aggressive in their force use.

Orange- Focuses on negotiations as well as combat.

Gold- Uses very strong lightside base skills.

Bronze- Used by someone very powerful and relies on great physical strength.

Silver- Used by someone who is very calm and focuses on the living force as a whole.

White- Used by force users that have a very narrow and single minded view on the force and usually serves a master or a group unwavering.

Black- Used by force users that have a very narrow and single minded view on the force but is devoted to one’s self.

A guild member found this for us, not sure where she found it but we put it our guild website.

Blue- Jedi Guardian- Warrior. Focuses on combat and rooting out evil. Very strong lightsaber techniques and very powerful in the use of lightsaber.

Green- Jedi Consular- Focuses on Force abilities and uses negotiations to solve conflicts. Very strong force abilities but don’t make great duelists.

Yellow- Jedi Sentinel- Focuses on other abilities such as tracking, technology, surveillance and espionage Main goal is to see out and destroy traces of the darkside.

Red- Mainly used by sith and dark Jedi. Red is more compatible with dark side energies. They are also synthetic and do not grow naturally.

Purple- Uses Both lightside and darkside techniques. Usually more aggressive in their force use.

Silver- Used by someone who is very calm and focuses on the living force as a whole.

White- Used by force users that have a very narrow and single minded view on the force and usually serves a master or a group unwavering.

Black- Used by force users that have a very narrow and single minded view on the force but is devoted to one’s self.

A guild member found this for us, not sure where she found it but we put it our guild website.

Lol Arcann would like a word with you :)

Kyber crystals feature in one of the Lego movies. My 6 year old is confident those are canon ;)

Well, Starwars.com is canon to my knowledge, so your 6 yo wouldn't be wrong. :)

I think the crystal being colorless until imbued with a force users energy is a great way to go with it all. Then it would make sense for most to be red, blue or green with the other less frequent colors. Though, it might be a way for Sith to weed out their ranks, "Purple crystal I see...time to die!" or Jedi to keep an eye on some of their members.

Okay, let me provides some clarification.

SW:TOR was canon when it was created. The whole "Canon/Legends" split was a Disney policy announced on April 25, 2014, that all the various Star Wars games, novels, TV shows, TV movies, comics, sourcebooks ect. of the last 37 years wouldn't be canon anymore, they branded it "Legends" and stuck it on a shelf (this game is the ONLY part of the original canon still producing new content, probably because Bioware has an ongoing contract with Lucasfilm so they just couldn't cancel the game), and Disney/Lucasfilm said their new "canon" would only be the 6 movies, the The Clone Wars TV series and everything new they were creating after April 2014.

This game was part of the canon when it was created. Then Disney said it wasn't canon. It's part of the original canon of Star Wars.

In the original canon, that Disney calls "Legends", lightsabers have to have a focusing crystal, and the color of the crystal influences the color of the blade, but there are many kinds of crystals. Sith sabers are usually red because they normally use synthetic red crystals, while Jedi usually used blue and green crystals because they normally use the crystal mines at Ilum for their crystals, which produce those colors, but a wide variety of colors are available, even if the crystals are harder to find. In Disney's reboot canon, they call the crystals that go in lightsabers "kyber crystals" and they are one type of specific crystal that is used, and they changed the explanation of how colors work.

The name "kyber crystal" appears to be a corruption of Kaiburr crystal, from the (non-canon as far as Disney is concerned) novel Splinter of the the Mind's Eye, which was later reappeared being used as a lightsaber crystal in later novels.

In Disney's reboot canon, they call the crystals that go in lightsabers "kyber crystals" and they are one type of specific crystal that is used, and they changed the explanation of how colors work.
For all their imagination they have, sometimes Disney can be pretty darn dull.

Well... ok, i said that a bit out of being irked a bit - if i were to .... hmmm... "lorify" my characters with this, most - if not all - of my force users would need a crystal swap. Don't get me wrong: it's pretty neat that kyber crystals colorize based on the user, but i'd have had kybers just be one of the many types of crystals. But i'm not Disney.

Thanks for the explanation, though. Even though the explanation itself was not quite to my liking, the fact you did provide it, is much appreciated. I suppose it's just a game, in the end.

Ok, i'm rambling - time to shut up. Thanks again!

Edited by TikkyLightmaker

Keep in mind that most of these don't show up in either the movies or TV series (which are the only "hard" canon at present). So far, the only saber colors that have appeared are:

Blue & Green, which seem to be limited to Jedi and their recently fallen kin.

Red, which only the Sith and the Imperial Inquisitors in Rebels seem to use.

Purple, which has so far been limited to Mace Windu.

Black (with a white outline) - used solely by Pre Viszla of the Mandalorian Death Watch and Darth Maul (the same one, actually), but described as having been taken from the Jedi as a trophy by Viszla's ancestors.

White - so far, only used by Asoka Tano in the Rebels series.

(Personally, I'm less interested in the crystals and colors and more interested in the hilts. I would love to get something like Gungi's lightsaber in the game. ;) )

For all their imagination they have, sometimes Disney can be pretty darn dull.

Well... ok, i said that a bit out of being irked a bit - if i were to .... hmmm... "lorify" my characters with this, most - if not all - of my force users would need a crystal swap. Don't get me wrong: it's pretty neat that kyber crystals colorize based on the user, but i'd have had kybers just be one of the many types of crystals. But i'm not Disney.

Thanks for the explanation, though. Even though the explanation itself was not quite to my liking, the fact you did provide it, is much appreciated. I suppose it's just a game, in the end.

Ok, i'm rambling - time to shut up. Thanks again!

The idea that the crystals color is based on the user when they imbued them, over what they considered fashionable or readily available I find much more intriguing. :)