IGN review of KOTFE

SaerethDL

This IGN review is spot on the game is so easy now and it has made the combat really boring.

All the points in that review is why I have cancelled my subscription today.

I am playing Final Fantasy Online A Realm Reborn now and wont be coming back unless they make some big changes to how easy the game has become.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a very fair review, in some cases it is generous.

Sadly BW wont take any note of it.

It just seems that the development team at the moment is too small or they have a lot of people that don't do anything to put out content. 10 hours is true of the fist play through, come the second or third when you realize space bar is your friend cause all the dialogue is the same and dull its done in a fraction of that time. And that has taken a year to create. It can't be a viable business model to keep people subscribing or making Cartel purchases. All very nice having Malgus armour but it seems a little pointless if the only thing to do with it is to walk slowly round the fleet saying don't I look nice.

There's easy and then there's swtor's "start a fight and then wander off to do chores or at least get into an argument about who's turn it is to do chores". With the companions as they are, every solo fight is "laughably easy ". Tic Tac Toe is harder.

At release several of swtor's fights were hard. Google "Valis swtor" and you will be greeted with pages of people struggling with a level 23 boss fight in the jk story chain - at least one of the videos is epic. Same with Angral. Doomsday/Emperor and a few others (just for JKs). I remember giving people help with those and my needing help to win the chptr 3 final fight even with endgame gear.

Defiance is another mmo with hard solo fights (but that's also a fps).

Wow is easy to do solo fights in but not as easy as KotFE is.

I agreed with nearly everything in the review. In my opinion it was a pretty balanced review. They were very fair in their review of the story and were careful to point out that the story was excellent. I totally agree, the story was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Where it breaks down, however, is end-game. There's so much debate on here with people saying MMO does not mean forced grouping. And while I love ops and flashpoints, I agree. But I dislike KotFE because in my opinion it fails both as a solo game and as a group game. The SOLO endgame is almost nothing new. By which I mean it is literally almost nothing new: you are grinding 4 year old heroics to increase affection with companions that have NO story and do NOT unlock additional cutscenes or conversations as they rank up in affection. The end result of all this grinding is more powerful companions to make the grinding of 4 year old content faster. There are star fortresses, but they are not dynamic and honestly all look, feel, and operate in a functionally identical manner.

So I agree with the reviewer--not because lack of ops means the expansion is a failure. I agree because not ONLY does the expansion lack ops, but it also lacks any engaging or new SOLO things to do. No new solo daily areas. No new planets to explore solo. No new companion stories to enjoy solo.

The solo portion of the expansion is barely any better than the group portion. And introduced barely anything new! We are literally grinding old content that has been in the game since launch on old planets that have been in the game since launch.

Edited by Eldrenath

It's always the same ... the tiny minority on the forums trying to dictate to the silent majority quietly playing the game ...

Err if you were quietly playing the game why are you reading forums to be "dictated" to?

After that initial ridiculous statement I didn't bother reading the rest of your post for fear of a nonsense overload.

A good read. I agree with some points and disagree with others. Overall I am still enjoying the game, though I do feel it is missing a lot of the MMO feel anymore. I'll keep playing until I am no longer having fun :)

The Verdict

Knights of the Fallen Empire represents the pinnacle of this troubled MMORPG's storytelling prowess, but unfortunately its other elements fall short. The overly easy combat is a sad shadow of what Star Wars: The Old Republic has offered in the past, and the endgame leans too much on recycled content and samey instances.

[/Quote]

The veredict sums up what this "new" SWTOR is: no challenge, no endgame, it's all about the story.

Pretty much what many seasoned players have been saying, but now on a major outlet.

Not worthy to continue paying for a sub...

The veredict sums up what this "new" SWTOR is: no challenge, no endgame, it's all about the story.

Pretty much what many seasoned players have been saying, but now on a major outlet.

Not worthy to continue paying for a sub...

That depends on whether or not you'll ever be playing the game again. Preferred is limited to 6 character slots and 3 species. They aren't allowed to GM anything other than an F2P guild. In-game mails they send are limited to one attachment, they can't mail credits, and they are limited to having 5 items on the GTN at any one time. Subscribers - especially long time subscribers - lose a LOT dropping to Preferred.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Like it or not, EA/Bioware, this is the kind of article that is going to impact your game sales. No one trusts a publisher anymore, you can promote your own property with all the advertising power you like, it doesn't matter. Of course you are going to claim your game is awesome, its 2015: we all know how advertising works.

Customers today are going to read the reviews at Gamespot, IGN, they are going to want to know what TotalBiscuit thinks, what AngryJoe thinks, they are going to come to forums, watch youtube.

This game.... I love it and I want it to succeed, but Even the Star Wars license isn't enough if it keeps sinking deeper.

A better TLDR would be: Reviewer who hated the original SWTOR launch still hates SWTOR 4 years later.

Right....that's why he says about the story...

It's good stuff, and BioWare smartly lets new or returning players create a brand-new level 60 character so they can enjoy the story immediately.

And

The approach isn't without some sacrifices, and some of them would have had us screaming that BioWare had changed the fundamental nature of SWTOR just three years ago. Pushed off the stage, for instance, are the lovingly crafted stories for each individual class; nowadays, everyone experiences the same story past 60 regardless of whether they wield a blaster or a lightsaber.

So the story is good BUT it lacks the depth of the original... Yep that is someone who hated the game 4 years ago... smh

The guy who does these reviews is also a WoW player. I laughed when he mentioned the combat not changing and being easy, he complained about that with WoW's last expansion. (He also gave WoW a 9.0 for their solo garrison time-traveling expac :rolleyes:) I find it funny how some people expect a MMORPG will magically change into a MMOFPS with an expansion or something to mix up combat.

And hey look, an ad hominem and the MMORPG vs MMOFPS comment... It even sure where than hyperbole came from. Why might WoW have gotten a higher rating? Some might call it too easy BUT you do need to at try and push the right buttons much of the time... It may be like the kid playing the simple version of "heart and soul" or "chop sticks" on the piano for the first time but there are right and wrong buttons to hit.

With the OP companions at launch they could literally clear all but a handful of heroics for you. The only one that required more than random button pushing was the one with the poison gas on Makeb and that was simply a result of it being HORRIBLY tuned. Now with the healer companions buffed I again tested, and succeeded in clearing Heroic Missions with Lana killing the mobs and no I do not have her at 50... She is @ 22.

I have NO problem if people are like the honest ones I have seen around here lately, the ones who say "I don't care if I only have to hit 1 or 2 buttons I want the story and that, to me distracts from the story.". To me it is quite the opposite. The fact it is faceroll ruins my suspension of disbelief. If I am fighting the organization that brought both the Galactic Republic and Sith Empire to its knees, why is it so easy? BUT that is a matter of opinion that doesn't have a right answer.

What isn't debatable is that it is indeed a MUCH easier game now, easier than any AAA MMORPG out there right now, easier than even GW2 which, while it arguably, has a hardcore PvP center said center is completely avoidable. That is until KotFE. Again people can say " that's perfectly fine" but it doesn't change the fact that the story quests and Heroic Missions are very easy and that the H2 SF can be made ridiculously easy if you us the Alliance buffs and Gizmos you can pick up in the instance, once you get the Alliance faction from the easy missions.

Like it or not, EA/Bioware, this is the kind of article that is going to impact your game sales. No one trusts a publisher anymore, you can promote your own property with all the advertising power you like, it doesn't matter. Of course you are going to claim your game is awesome, its 2015: we all know how advertising works.

Customers today are going to read the reviews at Gamespot, IGN, they are going to want to know what TotalBiscuit thinks, what AngryJoe thinks, they are going to come to forums, watch youtube.

This game.... I love it and I want it to succeed, but Even the Star Wars license isn't enough if it keeps sinking deeper.

Pretty much. These things do matter, BUT only if they are consistent. Haven't gotten around to reading other reviews yet though.