PSA: Crystal of Nightmare Fury is a one-off consumable

Transairion

I was part of some discussion about this on Reddit when we first found out, but since this is the first time the majority of SWTOR players are seeing this item figured I'd post something about it here.

Don't buy it! You are burning tokens/mats/credits for no reason!!

Crystal of Nightmare Fury

Bound to Legacy

Requires Level 65

Use: Increases your damage, healing and health while in a Nightmare Mode Operation. Will be removed if you leave the area.

In the darkest depths of the long-forgotten Valtava sector, an immense relic of incomprehensible alien design looms. Cold and dead for aeons, the ship is encompassed by an asteroid field of billions of pulsing red crystals. Some of these crystals awaken with power when their bearer is subjected to circumstances of extreme danger. Navigating the Valtava sector is fraught with peril, as the alien ship disrupts hyperspace lanes. An armored scout frigate utilizing Gree navigation charts could recover one of these crystals at great cost.

To craft it requires:

5 of each flagship encryption (blue), Two of the new purples, and a couple other "cheaper" items.

Testimony from a NiM Capable player on Reddit:

I just crafted one myself, went into a NiM op and used it to only have it vanish from my inventory and had the buff applied.

If you leave the group or exit the phase, you lose the buff and the item is not returned to your inventory.

I think its 20% extra health/endurance, damage done, and healing done, but I'm not quite sure.

So what does this mean? Essentially, you're paying 50 Gray Helix for the schematic, then you're crafting something that requires 15 Flagship Encryptions and other items.... for what amounts to a 20% buff one time. If your group has to the reset the phase, your game crashes, anything happens where you leave instance or group even temporarily, the buff vanishes. All those Encryptions down the toilet.

It would be cheaper, IMO, to simply wipe on NiM repeatedly and pay the repair cost then craft even one of these things for AT BEST a single NiM Op run. That's the most you can possibly get out of it at present.

So I implore no-one to buy it: BW if you want to keep it this expensive, then please, PLEASE make this item a reusable item. A reusable item is WORTH such a higher price. A one-off buff? No, never.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Transairion

Hell, even if it worked like a stim it would still be better. A stim doesn't care if you leave the instance, leave the group, or DC. And it would be clear that it was a temporary item before the mats and/or credits were spent.

I can understand why such a buff item is neither permanent nor reusable (otherwise the cost to craft would have to be on the order of five of each FRAMEWORK, not encryption, to balance it) but IMO treating it like a stim offers the best balance of duration, reusability, cost, and susceptibility to glitches/other factors outside of the player's control not wasting the item.

This item shouldn't exist at all.

[sARCASM_LEVEL=HOUSE_MD]

No, we should have this, make it an 8 hour game-time buff (like the stims) and cost 5k to buy (remove the Gree rep requirement), every crew skill can make it, and need 1 of each Grade 1 mat. And also let companions be summoned in an OPs, so we can solo even the nightmare mode ops.

[/sARCASM]

• 3 months later...

Not every guild has the luxury of having four dps players that roll FOTM calsses every extension. Try doing the denova tanks with two sorcs, one operative and one assassin as dps and then I'll believe you.

Lvl 55 NiM used to be much fairer towards raid composition and you could basically run everything provided you had perfect mechanics execution (with a few exceptional bosses, styrak requiring bumps for example), now it's just roll PTs and Marauders and if you can't face the DPS check with other classes, then you're screwed.

These are expensive items, nothing more. A night out on the planet's commanders will give you 10 crystals' worth of encryption plans with 10+ people, it's just really easy to farm.

It all depends what challenge you're on with the game:

- if you follow the current meta (run fotm classes all the way), then forget this item exists, you won't need it anyway.

- if you have a more rigid and not so op dps composition, this item (used on one or two dps only for example) will give you the necessary nudge to face the DPS check on tight enrages (mainly denova tanks, brontes and to some extent styrak).

Remember it's just a game, and have fun!

Not every guild has the luxury of having four dps players that roll FOTM calsses every extension.

The think is that every spec should be able to clear any mode if played properly and I'd say that you can.

Sure some specs are more eazymode than others but still.

And I agree with Ferkwork. They should just remove this item.

Anyways I don't see any reason to run Nim ops if you/your team has already done them when they where new ops.

Edited by keimox

The think is that every spec should be able to clear any mode if played properly and I'd say that you can..

To which I respond:

Try doing the denova tanks with two sorcs, one operative and one assassin as dps and then I'll believe you.

Why do the ops again? Well the player base in the guild itself has changed a lot over the years, and the ops are still somewhat interesting to run so why not? ^^

Edited by Deldra