Teaching and learning

Analyst

Not sure if I am posting this in right forum, but...

I was attracted to TOR because of stories, and I gained them. By now I still have to find character story that will disappoint me (though I admit that I haven't played all of them).

But one thing is a bit disappointing for me, and it seems to be shared by four stories.

The lack of teaching.

Jedi and Sith characters are all supposed to be in training, at least during Prologue or Chapter 1. But we see no training whatsoever; neither Lords or Masters really give any lessons to their apprentices/padawans. We go on active duty immediately. I understand, that Baras and Zash are supposed to be villains, but why not to bring this degree of empathy for Jedi teachers? And some phrases like "He taught me everything" are... deprived of sense in that case.

I compare it with KOTORs. In the first one we saw a cutscene montage of Revan being trained - and that was impressive. In the second game we got Kreia; despite of opinions about her, she taught. Almost every conversation with her turned into a lesson, and she explained, demonstrated and taught.

I understand why it is absent (though I hope that my understanding is incorrect). But I would be really grateful for at least some training cutscenes. Maybe between Prologue and Chapter 1, or at some points within them.

Otherwise any "teacher" is a "teacher" in name only.

It's a bit of a failure from the story standpoint, but not for the reason you're thinking.

Force-sensitive characters are actually doing their trials on Tython or Korriban, which for obvious reasons they have no outside help for. The real failure of the Knight/Consular/Warrior/Inquisitor story is that they don't adequately explain that your character has been there, being trained for months to years (or in the case of the Consular, from at least the age of four).

The Jedi stories particularly annoy me because you apparently have a different master administer your trials (Orgus Din or Yuon Par) than the one who trained you. Except, you literally never hear about whichever master trained you, whom you should have a rather strong mentor/student relationship with.

But then, this gives you a chance to canon your own story. I tend to think that certain details of your character's origin are kept deliberately vague, so that you can imagine whatever origin for your story and your character that works best for you. So my own Knight is the daughter of an officer in the Empire's military and sister to my Sith Warrior, and it works for me. But that might make no sense whatsoever for you, or someone else. It's just a unique twist, even within the scope of the Bioware story.

But then, this gives you a chance to canon your own story. I tend to think that certain details of your character's origin are kept deliberately vague, so that you can imagine whatever origin for your story and your character that works best for you. So my own Knight is the daughter of an officer in the Empire's military and sister to my Sith Warrior, and it works for me. But that might make no sense whatsoever for you, or someone else. It's just a unique twist, even within the scope of the Bioware story.

This was the intention. People need to use some imagination and fill in the blanks. Makes the story better not incomplete in my opinion.

I got the impression from the story given, that we're on Tython for quite awhile.

We don't get all those things done in just a couple of hours on the planet, even if game play wise we do. :p

That's why you're able to make such strong bonds with Orgus and Yuon. You've been working with them for quite some time.

If we go by just game play wise, the whole thing could be 1 day, even though the Knight story even says there's MONTHS between chapter 2 and 3.