The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Allow Powertech's to use a rifle? Suggestion:

Cyber-Blade

I think powertech's should have the opportunity to use a rifle. I simply won't play a powertech because I dont feel like a bounty hunter just using a pistol. A powertech gives you the ability to do superhuman things, but having a single dinky pistol makes you look a little dorky doing it in my opinion. Sure, some people would prefer a pistol. but to feel like a real bounty hunter, I would prefer to use a rifle as a powertech. all i'm asking is to allow powertech's to equip a moddable rifle if they chose to do so. It wouldn't affect anything else. Edited by Cyber-Blade

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really think it's long past time that they detach weapon type from class. This should never have been a restriction to begin with, but Bioware went with the easy route instead of making a game that actually makes sense.

They need to go back through and rebalance all abilities to have their base damage modifier dependent on player level rather than weapon. Remove the weapon damage values from barrels/hilts, and boost the stats that those items provide, then unlock more weapon combos for each class in turn.

Vanguards: Sniper Rifles, Assault Cannons

Commandos: Sniper Rifles, Blaster Pistols (Single or dual)

Powertechs: Blaster Rifles, Assault Cannons

Mercenaries: Blaster Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Assault Cannons

Operatives: Blaster Pistols (single or dual)

Snipers: N/A

Scoundrels: Blaster Rifles, Blaster Pistols (single or dual)

Gunslingers: Blaster Pistols (single or dual)

All Jedi classes should be able to wield a single lightsaber, two lightsabers (giving up the shield/focus in turn), or double bladed lightsabers. They also need to add an option for reverse grip.

I really think it's long past time that they detach weapon type from class. This should never have been a restriction to begin with, but Bioware went with the easy route instead of making a game that actually makes sense.

They need to go back through and rebalance all abilities to have their base damage modifier dependent on player level rather than weapon. Remove the weapon damage values from barrels/hilts, and boost the stats that those items provide, then unlock more weapon combos for each class in turn.

Vanguards: Sniper Rifles, Assault Cannons

Commandos: Sniper Rifles, Blaster Pistols (Single or dual)

Powertechs: Blaster Rifles, Assault Cannons

Mercenaries: Blaster Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Assault Cannons

Operatives: Blaster Pistols (single or dual)

Snipers: N/A

Scoundrels: Blaster Rifles, Blaster Pistols (single or dual)

Gunslingers: Blaster Pistols (single or dual)

All Jedi classes should be able to wield a single lightsaber, two lightsabers (giving up the shield/focus in turn), or double bladed lightsabers. They also need to add an option for reverse grip.

yes, lets just destroy the core gameplay of every class completely and utterly. As if EAware isn't screwing up the game enough as it is.

I wish people would stop with this Boba Fett nonsense. The Bounty hunter class is based on Jango Fett. the juggern aut is based on Vader, the sorcerer on Sidious and so on. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is why agents use a rifle. But I understand it. they didn't want the mirror classes to have the same weapons. this is why the vanguard uses a rifle and the powertech uses a pistol. maybe it makes more sense that the agent uses a pistol until he spec into the sniper, in which case he gets a sniper rifle and the bounty hunter then in turn uses a pistol, but for the sake of game play they chose not to make the class mirrors the same.

gameplay will always be prioritized above lore or fantasy.

if you want to be a cloth wearing rifle shooting force lightning shooting hybrid, go play Elder Scolls online. in that game you can be everything at once if you so desire, this game is not for you. There is a reason the game has limits.

Option 2: Or you can go play Knights of the old republic, where you can in fact be a jedi with a blaster rifle if you so wish.

Edited by Fallerup

How would it ruin core gameplay? Weapons are equalized in terms of stats and damage and only serve cosmetic functions (especially if you through mechanics make the offhand hits negated if the class isn't mechanically intended to use it).

Absolutely nothing would change.

Please tell me about why these limits exist.

Edited by Eksenia

Please tell me about why these limits exist.

because bioware decided to put them in, thats why. As explained, they didn't want the mirrors to be the same. it would be more silly if troopers used blaster pistols wouldn't it? <-- answer that question before arguing further. What makes Boba Fett the icon for every bounty hunter anyway? you hardly ever see him in the movies. and the books aren't canon anymore, so that has been erased. the scenes he's in can be counted on 1 hand, unless you count the prequals in which case he's a little kid. Jango, whom the class is based on did so much more than Boba ever did for the empire. without him, there was no clone army. he assassinated all the decoys of amidala successfully, it's not his fault it wasn't her. he kicked Obi-wans *** 1v1.

I did write this long text about all the 5 scenes you see Boba fett in, but honestly, anyone that has seen star wars remembers: 1: Vader's star destroyer, 2: Cloud City, 3: Jabba's palace 4: Jabba's barge where he died, killed by a blind man and yes he did die, since all the books and all that aren't canon anymore.

I don't get why people wanna be Boba Fett, I honestly don't. I think people complain simply to do so and not because they don't get what they want.

when entering any sort of business, the first thing you should know is that you cannot please everyone. no matter what you do, there is always some butthurt soul out there that thinks that what you are doing is wrong. you just live with it and move on. If you try to please everyone, you will fail and end up pleasing no one in the end.

Edit: honestly, I wouldn't care if Bounty hunters got rifles or not, so long as their core gameplay didn't change. But how would that change mercenary? you can't have one AC using rifles and the other Pistols, thats stupid. I know sniper uses sniper rifles and operatives rifles, but at least they are both rifles of some sort.

Edited by Fallerup

• 2 weeks later...

The weapon restrictions are pretty annoying, honestly. I love the PT skill flavor, but the blaster pistol just looks so dinky compared to pretty much every other weapon class in the game. Troopers get rifles and assault cannons while bounty hunters are stuck with a pistol or two?

I think I'd be more ok with it if the pistols looked more like big-*** hand cannons instead of the tiny models that we're stuck with, but that just isn't the case.

because bioware decided to put them in, thats why. As explained, they didn't want the mirrors to be the same. it would be more silly if troopers used blaster pistols wouldn't it? <-- answer that question before arguing further. What makes Boba Fett the icon for every bounty hunter anyway? you hardly ever see him in the movies. and the books aren't canon anymore, so that has been erased. the scenes he's in can be counted on 1 hand, unless you count the prequals in which case he's a little kid. Jango, whom the class is based on did so much more than Boba ever did for the empire. without him, there was no clone army. he assassinated all the decoys of amidala successfully, it's not his fault it wasn't her. he kicked Obi-wans *** 1v1.

I did write this long text about all the 5 scenes you see Boba fett in, but honestly, anyone that has seen star wars remembers: 1: Vader's star destroyer, 2: Cloud City, 3: Jabba's palace 4: Jabba's barge where he died, killed by a blind man and yes he did die, since all the books and all that aren't canon anymore.

I don't get why people wanna be Boba Fett, I honestly don't. I think people complain simply to do so and not because they don't get what they want.

when entering any sort of business, the first thing you should know is that you cannot please everyone. no matter what you do, there is always some butthurt soul out there that thinks that what you are doing is wrong. you just live with it and move on. If you try to please everyone, you will fail and end up pleasing no one in the end.

Edit: honestly, I wouldn't care if Bounty hunters got rifles or not, so long as their core gameplay didn't change. But how would that change mercenary? you can't have one AC using rifles and the other Pistols, thats stupid. I know sniper uses sniper rifles and operatives rifles, but at least they are both rifles of some sort.

Your argument is bad. You say it would change core gameplay, and I prove that it wouldn't. Then you follow up with arguments that it would be "weird".

That's merely a subjective statement. My personal opinion is that there can never be enough customization.

Mercs should be able to use any shooter as well. As I said, it wouldn't change any gameplay because any offhand could fill the offhand hit mechanic, just without animations. The thing is, nothing really changes here about from animations and looks. That is it - and animations itself doesn't affect mechanics or gameplay.

As far as your argument about business goes, it's correct but unrelated to the question at hand. More customization means more possibilities, which means more happy players at the cost of very little - if you are a diehard trooper-blaster purist, just, you know, use a blaster. Nothing will be taken away from you.

In my mind it should have been:

Trooper/Vanguard (Rifle)

Commando (Cannon)

Smuggler/Scoundrel (Pistol)

Gunslinger (Dual Pistols)

Agent/Operative (Pistol)

Sniper (Sniper)

Bounty Hunter/Mercenary (Rifle)

Powertech (Scattergun)

Now, in order to preserve the status quo, I could see switching the Agent and Bounty Hunter base weapons, so it would be:

Agent/Operative (Rifle)

Sniper (Sniper)

Bounty Hunter/Mercenary (Pistol)

Powertech (Scattergun)

Now, what this does do is take away dual pistols from the BH, which we would want to avoid, since there are fans of Jango Fett out there. So, perhaps making an exception for the Powertech to allow the Scattergun OR Dual Pistols might be in order.

Well, it would be nice to see my character with some bigger guns. However, as a Powertech, I tend to imagine, that my armor is full of high-tech weaponry (which is partially true, actually), so my devotion to blasters is more of a choice. I need my second hand to operate my armor. But that's just my silly role playing style.

I tend to agree. Pistols would go better with the Agent's 007 vibe, and Hunter's should get the bigger guns. My PT looks kind of silly in gigantic armor with just a pistol. I went out and found the biggest hand cannon I could (http://tor-fashion.com/rk-5-starforged-blaster/) which at least looks pretty intimidating in cutscenes.

They'd have to redo a bunch of the animations (both ability animations and cutscene) if they loosened the weapon restrictions, so it's likely a ton of work for basically no payoff from their perspective, so I don't blame them, but I'd really like it if they let all of the gun classes use pistols and rifles as base weapons. Even if I'd have to go find a new gun.

I would like to see Powertechs and Vanguards get a new ability or two that uses their WEAPON. My powertech, specced as a tank, does 95% of her attacking with her flamethrower. Even her rail shot isn't done with her weapon, because she raises her LEFT hand, and all MMO's absolutely force the right hand to be the "main" hand. (Yes I know, code restrictions. Doesn't mean I gotta like it. I just have to deal with it.)

Maybe Bioware had their reasons for removing Full Auto/Unload, but I wish they'd replaced with some kind of useful attack that uses the main hand WEAPON, whether it's a pistol, a rifle, or a sparkly tutti-frutti colored cheerleader's baton with swirly ribbons on both ends. Just let us attack with something other than a flamethrower / plasma thrower (or whatever the heck you'd call that gadget). It feels wrong to me, and I'm sure it feels wrong to some others, too.

I would like to see Powertechs and Vanguards get a new ability or two that uses their WEAPON. My powertech, specced as a tank, does 95% of her attacking with her flamethrower. Even her rail shot isn't done with her weapon, because she raises her LEFT hand, and all MMO's absolutely force the right hand to be the "main" hand. (Yes I know, code restrictions. Doesn't mean I gotta like it. I just have to deal with it.)

Maybe Bioware had their reasons for removing Full Auto/Unload, but I wish they'd replaced with some kind of useful attack that uses the main hand WEAPON, whether it's a pistol, a rifle, or a sparkly tutti-frutti colored cheerleader's baton with swirly ribbons on both ends. Just let us attack with something other than a flamethrower / plasma thrower (or whatever the heck you'd call that gadget). It feels wrong to me, and I'm sure it feels wrong to some others, too.

This is why I thought the scattergun would be better for the PT. He's a close combat tank, and the scattergun is a short range, high power noisemaker. It would make far more sense in close quarters.