Are consumables fun?

Matherine

..If they're not fun; i don't see why they're in pvp. It is just faux depth; an addition we'd all be better off not thinking about. I've seen people state "its just that little bit extra for those who want to gain the edge in pvp" but why bother when pvp would be more fun without them? People who use them would no longer have the hassle of acquiring them; and people who don't use them won't have to feel cheated when someone cheaply pops a stim. Edited by Matherine

..If they're not fun; i don't see why they're in pvp. It is just faux depth; an addition we'd all be better off not thinking about. I've seen people state "its just that little bit extra for those who want to gain the edge in pvp" but why bother when pvp would be more fun without them? People who use them would no longer have the hassle of acquiring them; and people who don't use them won't have to feel cheated when someone cheaply pops a stim.

A long time ago I felt salty about consumables in PVP, I hated them. In fact, I never even used them for the first year or so of playing the game.

Eventually I got some, after I ran in groups with people and mentioned I never used them and they chastised me telling me I was a ******* and they'd never do ranked with me ever.

Once I got in the habit of using them, it's impossible to not use them. Also, what would I spend the thoudands of comms on that I saved up, if not on heal packs and damage redux packs? I don't know.

Just know this. Once you go consumables, there's no turning back. :D

Think of consumables as extra cooldowns. They add more to mechanical mastery of the game and imo, DO add more strategy and "fun" into the game. Yeah obtaining them can be annoying when you dont have an excess of comms and trivial once you do, but acquisition aside, I do think they're an overall positive influence.

The same argument could be said for stims, grenades etc. I see people in regs all the time with no stim, if I see unstimmed people in ranked it doesnt give me a warm fuzzy feeling about our odds of success for sure.

on that note though, I don't feel grenades are a good addition, specifically stun/mez/etc, the last thing this game needs is more CC in pvp :p

Yep wish they just removed grenades from pvp.

kinda true. its already beyond stupid that every class has a stun. some even 2. then some troll dev comes out of the closet someday and thinks MHHH cc grenades!

no idea what these BWEA dudes are smoking rly.

Think of consumables as extra cooldowns. They add more to mechanical mastery of the game and imo, DO add more strategy and "fun" into the game. Yeah obtaining them can be annoying when you dont have an excess of comms and trivial once you do, but acquisition aside, I do think they're an overall positive influence.

The same argument could be said for stims, grenades etc. I see people in regs all the time with no stim, if I see unstimmed people in ranked it doesnt give me a warm fuzzy feeling about our odds of success for sure.

on that note though, I don't feel grenades are a good addition, specifically stun/mez/etc, the last thing this game needs is more CC in pvp :p

Okay; but had consumables never been in pvp to start with; would you mind? Would the game go amiss if it dropped them from pvp?

The problem i have with them is that it creates an unnecessary divide in the playerbase : those who refuse to use them/don't know about them, and those who do.

Unfortunately for those who refuse to use them, they put themselves at a disadvantage and are more likely to end up giving up pvp due to feeling cheated, as opposed to those who do use them; and only use them because they're there, and likely wouldn't quit pvp (or even care that much) if they were removed; because afterall that would close the divide to a level playing field (and i think that is what most of us want). Its the type of thing i can only see hurting the playerbase in the longterm for what seems an unnecessary reason.

Edited by Matherine

"Not fun".

The issue is not "fun" or not "fun". The issue is that a PVP medpac restores 30% health. I am a min/maxed seer (currently playing that toon), I have 70,662 HP. 30% of that is 21198.6hp. That's more then my Force Mend. So, Essentially, I can recover from 2 gigantic burst hits pretty easily. Very important.

Then we have the adrenal. Honestly, there have been times when I wanted to use a PVE adrenal (when that was possible) but 15% reduction, combined with say 25% from Blackout on Clound Mind, 3% from Skillful tier, passive 10% and whatever Force Armor gives me, means I have upwards 53% damage reduction when being focused hard. That is nothing to sneeze at. 30k hit suddenly becomes 14k. Hm, yeah, I can spit-heal for more than that.

Grenades are a very powerful escape tool. Honestly, I like them so much I'd rather a 1-minute (like on any stun) cooldown for them, but I guess people not as dedicated as I might not be too thrilled.

You see, a Farium Seismic Grenade (best for healers & ranged) will mezz a bunch of people for 5 seconds, assuming your team does not immediately AOE them. 5 seconds is more than enough to heal to full, heal your team to full, and burst down the tank who was being annoying while the enemy burst were sitting on you.

The advantages are not insignificant, and thereby worth it. They don't provide ANY challenge to acquire - if anything, augments are harder to get - and isn't winning fun anyway?

Why do consumables have to be "fun", anyway? One man's fun is another man's boredom, as we saw with the heroics and comp nerfs.