Unable to Progress in Companion Storylines (Pre-KotFE) after Patch

Mythago

Since 4.0.2a was launched I have discovered characters are unable to progress in companion storyline for pre-KotFE companions. Companions that do not have completed storylines offer a conversation option but after completing conversation will not offer any further conversation options. This is affecting multiple companions on multiple classes on both factions. The problem affects both companions that have the legacy unlock for completing the conversation chain on another character and companions that are at various points in the conversation chain for the first time. Additionally this affects characters of which there are multiple toons of the same base class or characters that are the only one of that base class. The issue is not resolved by refreshing UI, changing locations, summoning companion or logging out of system. As characters must complete companion storylines prior to starting expansion content, characters affected are either gate locked from new content or will have a significant loss of influence and experience from not completing the companion stories. All characters affected are at least level 60 with full completion of all three main story chapters.

This is the problem with this type of rapid fire reaction patches. For every thing they "fix", they break a dozen more since they are always deployed with minimum testing. I had it happen on 4 companions on three separate classes and affects both faction so it appears several of my alts are stuck on the old content until this is fixed.

Had this problem as well.

Did the level 60 token - Had hoped to "relive" the companion's storylines a bit - No bueno.

Wish it had been more thought out rather than thrown over like a bandaid.

Edited by Masked

In my case these are all pre-4.0 characters that were finished with the storyline and level 60 prior to the expansion. They just did not have the companion affection grind completed.

Did you start the KotFE storyline? Or did the convo disappear prior without starting KotFE?

Have you tried giving them companion gifts to up their rep? I suggest Vendor Green level 1's. If I remember correctly, even though YOUR storyline was done, some comps also needed additional rep to increase THEIR personal storyline.

As a side note, Feeding green level 1's to companions if you have the 30% legacy unlock, and the companion has a favorite gift, takes around 15,000 credits to level them to 10 affection/influence. Fairly cheap to start out on old/new companions.

Edited by Oldsailor

None of the characters affected were generated from tokens or have started the expansion content. I am aware the companion storylines must be done prior to starting KotFE Chapter 1 which is why I discovered the problem. When I found out my marauder could not progress with Pierce, I tried Broonmark and had the same problem. I switched to my sniper and had Vector bug, then to my trooper and Tano Vik had the same problem. At that point I figured it was a global issue and decided to table all my alts that had not yet done KotFE, although I will most likely use them for heroics to start leveling them and stockpile boxes.

(I just realized that saying that I had a Vector "bug" is unintentionally humorous)

Edited by Mythago

Have you tried giving them companion gifts to up their rep? I suggest Vendor Green level 1's. If I remember correctly, even though YOUR storyline was done, some comps also needed additional rep to increase THEIR personal storyline.

As a side note, Feeding green level 1's to companions if you have the 30% legacy unlock, and the companion has a favorite gift, takes around 15,000 credits to level them to 10 affection/influence. Fairly cheap to start out on old/new companions.

Companion stories are no longer based on influence, they were changed and are based solely upon character level now, so if you're level 60, you should be able to complete all companion storylines, period.

In the case of feeding them rep items I had not done that, but I did not have to do that on my other toons I did prior to this patch, or even companions on my Sage last week after 4.0.2. I will try to feed a few gifts this evening after work, I appreciate the suggestion. In the case of Vector he was well into his story (where he found the lost Killik colony), but Pierce, Broonmark and Tano Vik were at their introduction stage. I just found it suspicious that so many companions would have this problem.

Been having this problem with Skadge and Blizz since the 4.0 patch. Several of us reported it on forum here and the "new" EA problem site. Along with bug reporting it.

Now that the bug has become ubiquitous, maybe we'll get a response.

Happens on my 2 BHs, both completed thru Chapter 3(that's the end of the old class lines), 1 at level 62, one at level 54. With Blizz over level 10 presence, Skadge at level 4.

Waiting on fix so I can start the new expansion with my companion legacy buffs all done.

Ok, this just happened to me too. I decided to get on my smuggler to finish off her companions to get their presence bonuses. She's level 53 or 54 I believe, finished Chapter 3 story, has the Heroic Moment for it. I have 2 companions finished on her, and then tried to do Akaavi, did one conversation with her and she has no more to offer. I checked Legacy and she's not finished yet. I only have 1 level 65 with all comps unlocked on this server, no other characters besides these 2 that have finished the class stories, so it has nothing to do with whether they were unlocked on other characters or not. Not sure what to do now.

Companion stories are no longer based on influence, they were changed and are based solely upon character level now, so if you're level 60, you should be able to complete all companion storylines, period.

I thought they weren't based on your level, but on your class story progression.

I just encountered this same problem. I've been going through my alts to get all the companion storylines finished. Everything was going well until I hit my smuggler. As mentioned by others, all my companions had one conversation available and I am unable to progress beyond that.