PT PvP: Tank or DPS?

SelenaCat

I haven't played PvP in ages and always ran as a healer when I did. I'm thinking of getting back into it with my PT this time and wondered which role would be useful and/or fun. I would primarily be playing solo queues or small groups, nothing organized, if that changes the answer.

Thanks in advance!

(And I hear that "tanks" essentially run in DPS gear now, aside from the shield and tank armorings?)

the only tanks in dps gear that are a threat to anyone are juggs/guardians. the other tank specs even in dps gear simply do not put out enough damage to pressure anyone with how healing is now. you are better off with dps.

actually, you are better off with a solid preform. but that's another discussion.

the only tanks in dps gear that are a threat to anyone are juggs/guardians. the other tank specs even in dps gear simply do not put out enough damage to pressure anyone with how healing is now. you are better off with dps.

actually, you are better off with a solid preform. but that's another discussion.

2.2k dps and 700k prot is good enough pressure for PT tank.

AP PT is good enough dps but Merc ars may do the same while having better dcds.

Edited by Aetideus

I haven't played PvP in ages and always ran as a healer when I did. I'm thinking of getting back into it with my PT this time and wondered which role would be useful and/or fun. I would primarily be playing solo queues or small groups, nothing organized, if that changes the answer.

Thanks in advance!

(And I hear that "tanks" essentially run in DPS gear now, aside from the shield and tank armorings?)

Tanks typically run DPS Mods and Enhancements, with Endurance Augments and the Tank SB. You can also take the DPS Mainhand. Of the three Tanks, Sin tanks are the deadliest, they can pull 17k Shock Crits out of a hat because of how Electrify works. While Juggernaut/Guardian tanks are able to stay alive the longest. PT tanks are kinda meh. AP DPS is, awesome to say the least. You can pull 24k Energy Burst Supercrits at the drop of a hat, and if you get lucky, you can pull 10k Rocket Punches and Magnetic Blasts. Pyro is kinda lacking, but if you have a Healer in your pocket, you can pull some crazy DoT Spread.

Tanks typically run DPS Mods and Enhancements, with Endurance Augments and the Tank SB. You can also take the DPS Mainhand. Of the three Tanks, Sin tanks are the deadliest, they can pull 17k Shock Crits out of a hat because of how Electrify works. While Juggernaut/Guardian tanks are able to stay alive the longest. PT tanks are kinda meh. AP DPS is, awesome to say the least. You can pull 24k Energy Burst Supercrits at the drop of a hat, and if you get lucky, you can pull 10k Rocket Punches and Magnetic Blasts. Pyro is kinda lacking, but if you have a Healer in your pocket, you can pull some crazy DoT Spread.

Not to sound stupid but I am fairly new, what is the Tank SB you refer too? I want to set up a Tank that does some good damage as well. Thanks for any help. Have a good one.

Not to sound stupid but I am fairly new, what is the Tank SB you refer too? I want to set up a Tank that does some good damage as well. Thanks for any help. Have a good one.

Not sure what abbreviation he is refering to there, but to answer your underlying question, Tank set armorings/dps mods and enhancements, Tanking earpiece/implants, dps relics, dps mainhand and a shield offhand is how I build my tanks currently for pvp. Full fortitude augments.

SB = set bonus. Means you want to use tank pvp armorings that give 2/4/6 bonus.

I geared my guardian with full tank set. No dps items. Default mods are quite good at mainstat, so damage output is not cut. Mods from vendor carry more mitigation/endurance and mainstat loss. Questionable.

For augments I went Versatile, for more damage and endurance. Fortitude augments are good too.

This set works just fine as long as you have at least one healer in your team. With pocket healer you are unbeatable.

• 2 months later...
Curious- I'm undecided whether I want to run Shield Tech in DPS gear/Hybrid gear, or if I should just go full tank gear and be an unkillable node guard. If I do hybrid (combo of dps with tank armorings), then do I need to buy multiple sets of PvP gear and pull out all of the armoring, and if so, then doesn't take super long to get all of them? Edited by Stellin

Curious- I'm undecided whether I want to run Shield Tech in DPS gear/Hybrid gear, or if I should just go full tank gear and be an unkillable node guard. If I do hybrid (combo of dps with tank armorings), then do I need to buy multiple sets of PvP gear and pull out all of the armoring, and if so, then doesn't take super long to get all of them?

First of all, the added survivability will be minimal from full DPS gear to full mitigation, so you definitely won't be an unkillable node guard. Secondly, you don't need to buy two sets, only one set and replace mods and enhancements. There's a vendor for them between the PT/Op PvP gear vendors.

You would do that even if you went mitigation, though, because you always want to stack endurance in PvP.