Smuggler Story Arcs

Nidous

So, I just completed the Makeb and SoR storylines on my smuggler and I was very disappointed by how my character was pigeonholed into being the Republic's hero/champion/lapdog even after I chose to raid the galaxy and form a criminal empire in my main story. I haven't gone through KotFE, yet, so here's hoping my character isn't pigeonholed again (or at least as bad). Please no spoilers! I just wanted to say my thoughts.

So, I just completed the Makeb and SoR storylines on my smuggler and I was very disappointed by how my character was pigeonholed into being the Republic's hero/champion/lapdog even after I chose to raid the galaxy and form a criminal empire in my main story. I haven't gone through KotFE, yet, so here's hoping my character isn't pigeonholed again (or at least as bad). Please no spoilers! I just wanted to say my thoughts.

I don't want to be the one to ruin your KotFE, but that's pretty much the same way. It's theoretically possible to play an 'arse'-hero....but that part of the script must have been written for the Dark Siths (same as all those 'inspirational' speeches had been written for the f!ng LS Jedi).

Most of the time the story is tolerable (if you try not to think too hard about it), but several moments had been really-really disturbing and out of the class. Like those speeches, and the title.

I say - dare to play it if you've boosted your headcanon skills up to the cap (and slightly above). It's entirely possible to even enjoy it, especially if you like the crew....but sometimes it's just hard, like really-really hard. Which is a pity, because the expansion itself is done well, with all those locations, characters and cinematics and such.

But it only makes sense for a JK\SI.

Kofte is mostly based upon playing as a force user, in truth. It has sort of the "epic-movie" feel which a main character, most likely a force user, should have. And, well. You're "up against" hard enemies, enemies that the not-force users would probably never stand a chance against, as their skills, while numerous, are very limited in "duels" with powerful force users. Because of how Star Wars is, and always has been.

And as you say, you're a crimelord. It's not unlikely that the Smuggler could, theoretically, use the chaos to establish a much stronger crime-empire. "Hehe, Emperor, I'll pay you some tribute and you let me raid the Republic or Hutt-space or Empire or whater and conquer some planets without intervention? Great! I have a feeling we'll have a great business relationship, hehe"

So, in a way, you could've gained much more on being against the faction you'll play as Smuggler, than actually playing it through. I mean, it would've been potential for a cunning crime lord to increase his powerbase and influence a lot.

Still; you could just do it for the fun. I'd prob play it as a Sith or Jedi first though, I think the experience will feel more right, but you can obviously make it work regardless, they did after all design it to be playable for all characters

(But that's never 100% possible; like with SOR, I mean... A robed Sith Lord being a "pirate"? C'mon)