Character Rename Problem

Knockerz

I transferred one of my lowbies from bastion to harbinger and renamed it. Problem is BW system keeps saying that my name is inappropriate and needs to be renamed. Is this a bug or what? If the name was on the ban list it would not let me name my character and no it's not an inappropriate name since one of my characters has the same named except I added a "ness" to the name. I remember having this exact same problem when I first transferred my characters to harbinger.

Ok it's a bug. When you transfer into a new server and your are forced to rename your character, the naming system tags your name as inappropriate regardless of what you named your character. The force rename happens each time you log out onto the character selection screen. To fix the problem you rename your character. then shutdown swtor then log back in. Edited by Knockerz

Ok it's a bug. When you transfer into a new server and your are forced to rename your character, the naming system tags your name as inappropriate regardless of what you named your character. The force rename happens each time you log out onto the character selection screen. To fix the problem you rename your character. then shutdown swtor then log back in.

This is good to know. I've seen a few threads about this over the last few days.

I know that it has always forced a name change if the character name was already taken on the target server but it would just let you rename and then log in and play. Apparently the rename is not taking now. I'll be sure to let others know your fix if I see others posting about this.

Thank you :)

What if you can't use the character name you want...you know like the one you had since the F-ing beta. Because the system says it's invalid.

And then CS responds thanking you for your SUGGESTION. Even though you picked "Character/Companion" and specifically state you want to know why your character name is now "unfit". :mad:

I've had several times in which I deleted a toon and made a new toon with the same name. The system told me that the name was invalid. I made it almost immediately after deleting the previous. I tried making the same name on other servers and it also told me the name was invalid.

In one case, the name began with Doc and then a dash and then the rest of the name. I'm guessing that it is due to Doc being a companion.

In another, the name was Mick-jaguar. I guess it was allowed at first, and then the name got grandfathered and not allowed when it was renamed.

Maybe you had a similar situation

I've had several times in which I deleted a toon and made a new toon with the same name. The system told me that the name was invalid. I made it almost immediately after deleting the previous. I tried making the same name on other servers and it also told me the name was invalid.

In one case, the name began with Doc and then a dash and then the rest of the name. I'm guessing that it is due to Doc being a companion.

In another, the name was Mick-jaguar. I guess it was allowed at first, and then the name got grandfathered and not allowed when it was renamed.

Maybe you had a similar situation

Typically, naming policies don't allow for 'special characters', which would include dashes. And my names weren't part of anything even remotely close to Star Wars (names, places, etc). Obviously, it wouldn't have contained any 'special characters' (including apostrophes) or non-standard letters (ie: " ò " instead of " o ").

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to process your request as we do not offer the service you have requested.

Currently we are not able to assist with:

- Name changes (must be purchased through the Cartel Market)

- Faction or Class change

- Server transfers (paid server transfer is available on your account management page on http://www.swtor.com/)

- Server transfers between regions, i.e. US to EU or EU to US

- Un-binding of items (from Cartel Packs, Missions or Vendors)

- Trades between players, where one account is a Free To Play account

- In-game mail sent to incorrect characters in error

- Adjustments to character appearance (must be purchased through the apperance designer at the Cartel Bazaar)

- Abandoned missions

- The Public Test Server (Please post in http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=308 for help)

- Merging of accounts or transfers of characters between accounts

If you requested a different service not listed above, but received this response, please consider it to be a service we do not provide at the moment.

While we understand the frustration this may cause, we would like to assure you that we are doing our utmost to ensure that our players have the best possible game play experience. As such, requests of this type are something that we are monitoring and may potentially offer in the future.

Any new information will be communicated through our official forums, found here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/

Thank you for your patience and understanding, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you require further assistance with this or any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid M0-T0

Dear god...why. Why is this so hard to understand.

MY NAME WAS TAKEN AWAY, possibly because of a bug, and I want it back. Or an explanation as to why it suddenly after six years violates the name policy.

EDIT:

LOL, and now the name is marked as "Unavailable" funny, it use to be "Invalid".

((Sigh, fine....I'll just use one of the other names I have stashed away. Still irksome, but meh.))

Edited by Illutian

Type "e with an accent" in Google. Have fun trying different ASCII codes. I've done it on many of my toons.

ASCII code letter e with acute accent or e-acute, American Standard Code for Information Interchange, ASCII table, ...

http://www.theasciicode.com.ar/extended-ascii-code/letter-e-acute-accent-e-acute-lowercase-ascii-code-130.html

I have a policy to not try and copy other's names. I have many other names I can use. More impressed that someone appears to have the same thought process as me (oh dear god, you're all dooooomed :eek:).

I also have a policy of never using ASCII-derived letter even if they are the correct spelling (ie Cafe and resume should be spelled with an " é " for the second 'e'). This is just a courtesy I extend to people who may not know the ALT codes or care to look them up.

---

PS: For those who may not read the entire thing. Originally, the names were "Invalid" (bug or violated the Naming Policy) but now say "Unavailable" (taken by another player).

• 1 month later...
Dear god...why. Why is this so hard to understand.

MY NAME WAS TAKEN AWAY, possibly because of a bug, and I want it back. Or an explanation as to why it suddenly after six years violates the name policy.

EDIT:

LOL, and now the name is marked as "Unavailable" funny, it use to be "Invalid".

((Sigh, fine....I'll just use one of the other names I have stashed away. Still irksome, but meh.))

So I tried to Rename my character, it asked "are you sure" for the rename, I accidentally hit "No". So am I screwed now or what? cause i cant get that rename option back?

• 5 months later...
Ok it's a bug. When you transfer into a new server and your are forced to rename your character, the naming system tags your name as inappropriate regardless of what you named your character. The force rename happens each time you log out onto the character selection screen. To fix the problem you rename your character. then shutdown swtor then log back in.

I don't understand what you mean. How do you rename your character AND THEN log out? The system won't allow the rename in the first place. Please help; I'm desperate here!