Finally figured out why weapon and armor shells got yanked

Maeklos

After considered thought and discussion in a few G-chats, I finally figured out why BioWare decided to yank all of the old weapons and armors from planetary and Fleet vendors, as well as FPs:

They're going to introduce the old models back in upcoming Cartel packs.

I mean, it's win-win for them. They have zero work to do as far as making new models, and they get to sell people back content that they purposefully stripped from the game. So, don't be surprised if the next batch of Cartel packs are called something like "Legacy Packs" or "Legends Packs" and have old FP armor items in them.

After considered thought and discussion in a few G-chats, I finally figured out why BioWare decided to yank all of the old weapons and armors from planetary and Fleet vendors, as well as FPs:

I mean, it's win-win for them. They have zero work to do as far as making new models, and they get to sell people back content that they purposefully stripped from the game. So, don't be surprised if the next batch of Cartel packs are called something like "Legacy Packs" or "Legends Packs" and have old FP armor items in them.

Considering that all armors and lot of weapons can be crafted and that they still drop in open world (like it was before), yea, good try.

So why can you still get *most* of them in game? Heroic lockboxes seem to have a huge majority of the old shells and then the alliance supply crates fill in a good portion of the rest. Is it the best solution? No. I hope they'll eventually add those shells back to a vendor for comms, even if they have no stats. But to say they removed them all completely to resell them on the Cartel Market is, at least for now, false. You can still get the shells in game in one way or another.

I mean, it's win-win for them.

They haven't done that yet, so I don't know where you'd get that idea....there have been countless awesome looking armors removed from the game in expansions over the last few years that have never reappeared...I'd gladly pay for them but they appear to be just gone forever. Instead, we get the same re-colored, re-skinned crap with every new cartel pack.

All the old pvp and FP gear from launch, from before RoTHC and from before SoR has all vanished. I don't even think the recipes for the few pieces that were craftable drop anymore.

Edited by Vember

You would have been better off spending that time actually playing the game, and you would have found the armor you were looking for.

So why can you still get *most* of them in game? Heroic lockboxes seem to have a huge majority of the old shells and then the alliance supply crates fill in a good portion of the rest. Is it the best solution? No. I hope they'll eventually add those shells back to a vendor for comms, even if they have no stats. But to say they removed them all completely to resell them on the Cartel Market is, at least for now, false. You can still get the shells in game in one way or another.

Off topic...sorta

Hey Kaitou, what is a Heroic lock box? I know I get some sort of lock box from doing the various heroics on planets, then I turn those lock boxes in to one of the Alliance commanders. As a reward those commanders give me an alliance supply crate.. Am I missing some other rewards process here? I'd love to know of other outlets available that allow me to collect various armor pieces!!

Regarding OPs theory, eh I wouldn't put it past em haha. I keep seeing claims that this removed armor can be found via the alliance rewards. I've got my alliance commanders to 10 and have not seen a piece of armor that looks like anything my Agent, BH, Sorc or Jugg could've bought from the lvl55 ( IIRC or was it 50??) gear vendor on fleet pre 4.0. Not saying it isn't true, maybe the rewards pool for armor is so deep that it is giving me things I'm not familiar with.

Actually, to answer in summary for most of the replying posts, no, you cannot actually get the majority of armors/weapons they took out of the game. Also, you can't tag weapons to an Outfit slot, so those are a moot point.

Case in point: Mandalorian-style armors. The old Foundry and Maelstrom-style armors that you got Imp-side, that use the same model as the Elite Mercenary crafted armor (which itself is now an Archive armor and can only be worn by BH and Juggernauts). The *only* Mandalorian-style crafted armor available under the new system is a rip-off of the Mandalorian Clansman armor. They even took out the 'armored up' versions sold by the Contraband Resale vendor. As of now, UNLESS you are a Bounty Hunter/Juggernaut who has/knows someone with the Elite Mercenary armor set, you can't get that style of armor...unless you happen to be a Smuggler, in which case you can filch Akaavi Spar's armor.

To address the Alliance crates, yes, these have some armor sets in them. But ONLY end-game token/comms sets from, what, RotHC and onward? No FP, no planet/fleet vendor shells. And no weapons.

They haven't done that yet, so I don't know where you'd get that idea....there have been countless awesome looking armors removed from the game in expansions over the last few years that have never reappeared...I'd gladly pay for them but they appear to be just gone forever. Instead, we get the same re-colored, re-skinned crap with every new cartel pack.

All the old pvp and FP gear from launch, from before RoTHC and from before SoR has all vanished. I don't even think the recipes for the few pieces that were craftable drop anymore.

You do realize that the old columi/rakata operation/some old pvp gear was recently re-released through Cartel Packs correct? So they definitely have done that already and will do it again. I wouldn't be surprised if they rename the Kell Dragon/Dread Master shells and sell them through the market to make more off it.

You can't sell armor through the Cartel Market right after you removed it from the game, but you can if you wait a bit. Not as many people were playing when Rakata gear was standard so the time gap has been long enough that people such as yourself don't even know that they're doing it.

Personally I don't really care and its better than just completely removing the armor from the game. But people love to ***** about anything so...

Edited by TrillOG-