The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Add another Alliance Recruit with GSF weekly requirement

Pietrastor

I barely PVP, it's just not my thing. But I'm loving how the Alliance system encourages various types of group content in the game and makes use of all the different attractions in this themepark, this is one of the best ideas Bioware had.

In a similar way as Pierce/M1-4X quests, I suggest one of the future companions to be gated behind GSF weekly. Interconnected systems/features/gameplay mechanics is what TOR should be doing more and more :cool:

Edited by Pietrastor

Why, so players can resent another part of the game for being pushed into it when they'd otherwise have zero interest?

It's like the basic idea that content should draw in players by being fun, and players should play the content that they actually find fun, is utterly lost or alien now.

Given that they created eight new pseudo-companions just for GSF who were then completely forgotten about when they decided to stop doing any real updates for it - I'd say it's a real missed opportunity not to have them incorporated into the Alliance system (preferably via some GSF objectives).

Why, so players can resent another part of the game for being pushed into it when they'd otherwise have zero interest?

It's like the basic idea that content should draw in players by being fun, and players should play the content that they actually find fun, is utterly lost or alien now.

None of the Alliance Recruits are mandatory to continue the KOTFE storyline though. And lets be honest, people often don't even try stuff because it's unfamiliar. Goes for Operations, WZs, GSF and anything else. Some change their mind about those systems after trying, some don't. I certinely don't see ANYTHING wrong with Bioware trying to push some of the less popular systems in PVE from time to time. It's ot like we're talking NiM raids gating Alliance Recruits, or ranked WZs... Edited by Pietrastor

None of the Alliance Recruits are mandatory to continue the KOTFE storyline though. And lets be honest, people often don't even try stuff because it's unfamiliar. Goes for Operations, WZs, GSF and anything else. Some change their mind about those systems after trying, some don't. I certinely don't see ANYTHING wrong with Bioware trying to push some of the less popular systems in PVE from time to time. It's ot like we're talking NiM raids gating Alliance Recruits, or ranked WZs...

Whether they're "mandatory" or not is a red herring -- "need" has nothing to do with anything here, none of us need to be playing the game or posting on the forums at all.

As for the rest, the best way to make those other parts of the game appeal to more players is to make them suck less, to be brutally honest. Of course, it's not Bioware's (or any other developer') fault that those parts of the game also seem to routinely bring out the worst in people, feel the most grindy and the most like another job as opposed to playing a game, and in general suck the fun out of the game for a lot of players.

I'm not even bothering with KotFE at all, so this whole Alliance / new companions thing is entirely theoretical to me. And on the level of basic design, gating things like companions behind the side-content (Ops, FPs, PvP, etc) is terrible carrot/stick game design.

Given that they created eight new pseudo-companions just for GSF who were then completely forgotten about when they decided to stop doing any real updates for it - I'd say it's a real missed opportunity not to have them incorporated into the Alliance system (preferably via some GSF objectives).

There's that too.

Whether they're "mandatory" or not is a red herring -- "need" has nothing to do with anything here, none of us need to be playing the game or posting on the forums at all.

As for the rest, the best way to make those other parts of the game appeal to more players is to make them suck less, to be brutally honest. Of course, it's not Bioware's (or any other developer') fault that those parts of the game also seem to routinely bring out the worst in people, feel the most grindy and the most like another job as opposed to playing a game, and in general suck the fun out of the game for a lot of players.

I'm not even bothering with KotFE at all, so this whole Alliance / new companions thing is entirely theoretical to me. And on the level of basic design, gating things like companions behind the side-content (Ops, FPs, PvP, etc) is terrible carrot/stick game design.

Strongholds in TOR are not OMG-super amazing player-housing system. They're average (some would say way worse), but they were implemented within the existing game structure well with decorations spread out all over the place thus flashing a giant "get yourself a house" sign at the players at every turn, and then there's the entire Conquest aspect and how you're pretty much forced to get some stronghold and at least hang the posters on to get any significant boost to Conquest points. That's why GSH been so succesful. Different game systems in a themepark should boost each other

And well, if you didn't actually play the Alliance stuff then rather weird to comment

Edited by Pietrastor

Strongholds in TOR are not OMG-super amazing player-housing system. They're average (some would say way worse), but they were implemented within the existing game structure well with decorations spread out all over the place thus flashing a giant "get yourself a house" sign at the players at every turn, and then there's the entire Conquest aspect and how you're pretty much forced to get some stronghold and at least hang the posters on to get any significant boost to Conquest points. That's why GSH been so succesful. Different game systems in a themepark should boost each other

And well, if you didn't actually play the Alliance stuff then rather weird to comment

It still affects the future direction of the game and future design decisions.

Personally, I fooled around with Strongholds because they are a nice alternative to 90% of what I used to have to use the Fleet for, and make for some easier travel around the game... and at that point why not make the place look interesting? Conquest had nothing to do with it -- I did a couple of Contest weeks at the player scale (not guild) to check out how it worked, and I've never bothered again, it's one of the least interesting things they ever added to the game.

I'd be fine with it, or with getting GSF as an alternative for the Pierce / M1 warzone requirement. Really, in the end, making sure there are alternative options in as many places as possible would be the best thing.

Qyzen's recruitment mission already does that. If you just want to impress him on your own you can track down 20 of the small targets scattered across the planet, or if you join a big group you can all hunt down 3 world bosses together. (In that case it can even be mix and match, since the real goal is rank 10 influence and the small trophies are just worth less influence than the world boss trophies.)

Random thought for a suggestion on Pierce / M1: Add some object at the warzone vendors that you can purchase for warzone comms, and add some other object that can be purchased for fleet comms. Make it so that Pierce and M1 and any other companions they might choose to use this for will all accept either type of token for some amount of influence, and then make the real goal to recruit them be the rank 10 influence, not a match counter. (Valor rank 40 or whatever could still be a bypass option though.)

edit: Of course having something available for fleet comms opens up for the purely PVE option of the solo space missions as well. (Granted, GSF earns fleet comms quicker than the solo missions.)

Also, if they want to they could make Pierce and M1 take the warzone purchased tokens for 1000 influence apiece and the GSF/solo-space purchased tokens for 500 influence apiece, favoring the warzones because they are soldiers, not pilots. Meanwhile, if some other companion up for recruitment was more of a pilot, they could get 1000 per GSF/solo-space token and 500 per warzone token.

Edited by Muljo_Stpho

PvP is one thing, but GSF? I would rage quit so hard. I am surprised they don't have one for Flashpoints. At least those are bearable, if you have a team that knows which way to hold a lightsaber. If people dislike doing Warzones, I can only imagine how many people would lose their **** playing GSF.

Just like players don't seem to understand optional companions or if you don't like PvP, or GSF you don't have to have the companion attached to them. But, by all means limit the content you'll attach companions too so, no one will have even the slightest potential interest in other parts of the game they may not even know exist, or might even enjoy after trying it.

Lets say they add 1 companion to be recruited via GSF, that's 3 companions, 2 per faction that require some kind of PvP. The rest can all be acquired via solo PvE, I'd call that an even balance.

Basically, the argument for removing or against requirements is 'I want but I don't want to work for it, all companions should be exclusive to my playstyle.' Its throwing a temper tantrum online, and frankly its pathetic and childish.

Ohhh gods no, anything but GSF, tried it twice was the worst experience i had in any game. I can force myself to go through pvp even though its i dislike it due to stupid idea of pvp gear (i could actually see mysef pvping for fun once in a while if pvp gear didn't exist). But GSF is so bad, the experience nearly made me feel the physical pain, i don't want to touch GSF again ever, i want to forget it actually exists. Worst thing ever.

Personally, I think if they have an aspect of the game, might as well tie a companion to it:

Warzones, GSF, PVE space missions, Conquest, Operations, Flashpoints, GSI, etc.

Not against these by any means, but not all of them are equal. The problem with PvE objectives are that they actually have to be "beaten" to be completed. I'm not saying flashpoints are hard, but the requirement of completing a flashpoint is significantly different than completing a warzone or a GSF match.

Not against these by any means, but not all of them are equal. The problem with PvE objectives are that they actually have to be "beaten" to be completed. I'm not saying flashpoints are hard, but the requirement of completing a flashpoint is significantly different than completing a warzone or a GSF match.

Absolutely agree. The way the requirement is implemented would have to weighed with the type of content involved.

I wouldn't mind, maybe make the companions that make the base GSF crew available that way. Hope it will revitalise GSF on my server, but I fear that too many could get stuck on low pop servers with getting to rarely games open up... or at least if BioWare will not one day give cross server stuff, then I would really love that.

I'm fine with Warzone requirement (should be lowered though) however GSF is a garbage game mode that is really just a mini game. It has a pretty small fan base for a reason...

Everytime I try to play it there's always a team of tryhards who have every ship and it really isn't fun at all.

LOL until you said that I forgot those guys existed. They would make great companions for a GSF quest.