Can we get a Stealth bar

killjoyHero

The argument against it would be that it would be a poor use of developer resources (time, money, etc.).

It's not a poor use of developer resources, it would literally take 15 minutes or to make it work. Like I said before all they have to do is copy the code from the Cover Bar, change the Trigger from Crouch/Cover to Stealth, push it to PTS for testing, followed by pushing it to the live servers. Most of those things should be done on a regular basis. The only reason why we don't have this already is because those of you with no concept of software development keep arguing against it.

It's such a minor fix that there really is NO legitimate reason NOT to do it. Then you would have the ability to turn it off if you don't want it on, and we would have the ability to turn it on if we wanted it on. Is it a need to have, no it isn't. It is however a nice to have, and honestly this is probably the only MMO with 1 or more stealth classes which does not have it.

I agree with the idea that "Ability clutter" is not an issue as I can literally place all of my abilities on my toolbar with ease, even more so now that I don't have to worry about all of my Heroic Moment abilities, and can just use the Random Speeder option instead of having all my speeders on my toolbar. It's really not about strain either, because if you are that strained that you need this, you need a new hobby. It's just seriously a why the heck do we not have this by now?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always perplexes me why some people read a suggestion like this and decide to argue against it. If they created a stealth bar, and made it optional like the cover bar, how would that in any way hurt the game? It would be a win/win situation, since it's optional.

And don't tell me it's because it would dumb down the game. Turning 6 keybindings into 3 would not dumb down the game. I'm using 37 keybinds right now, and I'll reach 40 by the time I have all my abilities. I can't use Spike, Blackout, and Mind Trap out of combat, so they're dead weight 90% of the time, but they still need a keybind, because clicking is so 2005.

I'd kill a room full of younglings to get a stealth bar.

Mind Trap is the only ability that can only be used from stealth if you compare across all 3 disciplines.

Personally, I hope we get a stealth bar just so more players become aware of just how few abilities are only usable from stealth.

Maybe we should have an execute bar too. Bars for all the things.

It's not a poor use of developer resources, it would literally take 15 minutes or to make it work. Like I said before all they have to do is copy the code from the Cover Bar, change the Trigger from Crouch/Cover to Stealth, push it to PTS for testing, followed by pushing it to the live servers. Most of those things should be done on a regular basis. The only reason why we don't have this already is because those of you with no concept of software development keep arguing against it.

It's such a minor fix that there really is NO legitimate reason NOT to do it. Then you would have the ability to turn it off if you don't want it on, and we would have the ability to turn it on if we wanted it on. Is it a need to have, no it isn't. It is however a nice to have, and honestly this is probably the only MMO with 1 or more stealth classes which does not have it.

I agree with the idea that "Ability clutter" is not an issue as I can literally place all of my abilities on my toolbar with ease, even more so now that I don't have to worry about all of my Heroic Moment abilities, and can just use the Random Speeder option instead of having all my speeders on my toolbar. It's really not about strain either, because if you are that strained that you need this, you need a new hobby. It's just seriously a why the heck do we not have this by now?

Or, you know. They don't do things they see little point in doing, because the gain is marginal, even considering the small effort it would take. Also, looking at their track record, it would probably come in at least a little buggy. I've got a decent idea of how software development works, and a decent idea of how much time software developers spend not doing coding related tasks, too.

Regardless, it's all of 2 abilities that would have their own place on the bar specifically, that you could remove from other places.

Or, you know. They don't do things they see little point in doing, because the gain is marginal, even considering the small effort it would take. Also, looking at their track record, it would probably come in at least a little buggy. I've got a decent idea of how software development works, and a decent idea of how much time software developers spend not doing coding related tasks, too.

Regardless, it's all of 2 abilities that would have their own place on the bar specifically, that you could remove from other places.

Well as a mobile app/game programmer I can attest how easy it is to duplicate an already existing system as I have suggested doing by using the Cover bar as the basis for it. Also as many people have said it's not only usable for Stealth only abilities, but we could use it for lesser used abilities that don't break stealth. It is also something that would not only apply to Shadow/Assassin, but also to Scoundrel/Operative.

Mind Trap is the only ability that can only be used from stealth if you compare across all 3 disciplines.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind for when BioWare allows us to play all three disciplines at once. Until then, though, I'd appreciate an optional stealth bar for my three abilities that serve no purpose out of stealth. :rolleyes:

Well as a mobile app/game programmer I can attest how easy it is to duplicate an already existing system as I have suggested doing by using the Cover bar as the basis for it.

Unless you work at Bioware and are intimately familiar with their source code, then no, you can't attest to anything with any credibility.

• 2 weeks later...
Unless you work at Bioware and are intimately familiar with their source code, then no, you can't attest to anything with any credibility.

I don't have to work at Bioware to understand how to copy and paste lines of code and change a few little bits of it to fit another situation. I did it in a school project I was doing in college. Specifically I copied the PlayerBullet class in my game to make a EnemyBullet class that instead of killing enemies, killed the player. If I could do that in XNA while I was just learning how to code in C# than I assure you that Bioware, who won't hire me due to qualifications that I don't meet has coders who can do that to copy the cover bar code to work as a stealth bar.

I don't have to work at Bioware to understand how to copy and paste lines of code and change a few little bits of it to fit another situation. I did it in a school project I was doing in college. Specifically I copied the PlayerBullet class in my game to make a EnemyBullet class that instead of killing enemies, killed the player. If I could do that in XNA while I was just learning how to code in C# than I assure you that Bioware, who won't hire me due to qualifications that I don't meet has coders who can do that to copy the cover bar code to work as a stealth bar.

If you are copy/paste'ing code, you're doing it wrong.

Depends on what exactly you are doing. Sometimes inheriting from one class to another causes issues and the best course of action would be to have 2 separate classes that do some of the same things but are not connected. I'm an indie game dev, I don't make Anti-virus software or utility programs like that, only games. Sometimes the best course of action for my development might be different from the same thing for another dev.

Why does Smuggler/Agent have a bar for being in cover, but we can't get a Stealth bar for Assassin/Shadows!?

Here what would happen why does my stealth bar look like my non stealth bar oh i know i use every thing beside spike out of stealth unless i a tank. SO this makes sense to have a special bar for stealth. so this would be a waste of good dev time on other stuff....

• 3 weeks later...
The skill bloat in this game is moronic. So yes, even two skills on a stealth bar would be great. But guess what, the whole internet could come here and agree and want it, but it will NEVER happen. They can't even fix minor things let alone add in this minor feature.

• 2 weeks later...

If you write out identical lines of code, you're also doing it wrong. You increase the likelihood of mistakes by 100% every time you write the same line again compared to copying the original one.

Well, 100% give and take a little for muscle memory.

• 1 month later...