Which Healer to play in 4.0

McBlobbicus

Flip flopped on what role to play just before Fallen Empire hit and now I think I've settled on healer, but not sure how the changes to the classes have affected how they play. Which would be beginner friendly (in the sense that I haven't healed a lot on MMOs)? I'm currently torn between Sorc and Merc, but I might consider Op.

For pvp or pve? Or a mix of both?

PVE: They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Sorcs are incredibly mobile and have not much of a resource limit with consumption( with whatever the crit innervate prods are called). Ops have nice ability to deal with damage amongst multiple group members but don't have great burst healing unless the ally has 2 stacks of probes, and does require resource management. Mercs have decent burst healing, good AOE healing and the best overall survivability, but needs resource management and takes a little bit to get used to.

PVP: Sorcs are far better than most if you solo queue. The others require others to help peel for you and lack the mobility that sorcs have which allow you to be focused. This is mostly talking about regs/unranked, don't really ranked much. On my sorc I can do around 2.5 mil healing with a decent pug(no premade groups) without ever casting anything just bubble on cd, resurgence for roaming mend/innervate and insta cast revivification> insta dark heal. The other classes can do great but require more of a team effort to watch out for you/guard/taunt.

Overall sorc is probably the easiest as a beginner as resource management isn't difficult at all, and you have the best healing output while moving out of mechanics for pve/pvp especially for low level flashpoints etc. That said to each his own and if you struggle or don't like it you can always reroll. Recommend checking out the guides on dulfy.net as they do a pretty decent job of laying out the pros and cons of each class. Don't think they are updated for 4.0 yet though.

In operations I found Scoundrel/Operative to be the most enjoyable, something about being able to heal the entire group feels a lot less stressful than playing whack-em-all on operations frame with other healers. You know, you heal one guy, other is almost dead, you heal that guy, someone else needs attention. Scoundrel isn't stressful cause the healing feels all very even and also proactive. Refresh probes, cast Kolto Waves if theres some raid wide pressure damage, spam Kolto Cloud, apply kolto pack to tank. Dunno, out of all 3 healers it is the most enjoyable to play for me. And single target healing isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, it's just you need to proactively use all the abilities to have and you can pretty much heal the tank through anything. Scoundrel isn't a reactive healer, it is a proactive one, keep that in mind and you'll have a lot of fun. If someone is already at 3% hp theres nothing you can do and you already failed. Edited by Iffyluse