Legacy names -- allow us to change them

AJediKnight

To be fair, if the delivery eventually includes a ton of game enriching content - like the rumored classes/species/customization options, let alone Legacy items, then I can get over it. I've already rationalized it out to a necessary concession to metagaming, and I planned my character names and Legacy name out in accordance with that.

I agree completely. I think the potential is very high for this, but sharing the same legacy across both factions and making last names unique, for lack of a better term, sucks. It's just as easy to give us legacy titles and allow us to use different last names. People can still be associated with a specific title, still reap the benefits, but not have the awkwardness of the same last name on both sides or having to make unrealistic last names because our first choice has been taken

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little irritated that Scottish/Irish prefix names don't work, as names are autoformatted to a single capital letter at the beginning of the name. No warning was given as to this. I opened a ticket, but got the stock "surname changes are not allowed" reply. So now my healer's surname is stuck being 'Mccoy' instead of 'McCoy.'

I'm a little irritated that Scottish/Irish prefix names don't work, as names are autoformatted to a single capital letter at the beginning of the name. No warning was given as to this. I opened a ticket, but got the stock "surname changes are not allowed" reply. So now my healer's surname is stuck being 'Mccoy' instead of 'McCoy.'

Yeah, I can see that being hugely distracting. :( But, hey, at least you get to display it.

I agree, a pay for name change makes sense. It doesn't impact the community, and I can understand wanting to change your name. I love the name I chose, and it's generic enough that it works with every character, even if I do not like the idea of them all being related. If I had mistyped something due to any reason though, I would totally be right with the op, wanting to change my legacy name.

Also, I love LOTRO too! I do like the last name system. I would love to see something like, Legacy name COULD be used as last name, or as the title that people use above the guild, or not shown, or like an extra last name if they wanted, or a special title, but allow people to add in last names and make who they wanted related. Being on an RP server, I can totally understand that!

WoW came out in 2004

The name change survice didn't come until 2007.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUN!

Fun fact -

The first production car came out in 1885.

Unleaded gasoline did not come out until 1975.

Therefore, I should expect modern cars to not use unleaded at first.

Brilliant logic.

Fun fact -

Brilliant logic.

Sometimes, people are just so desperate to 'win' a thread that they'll say anything, logic be damned.

I have no idea if this was posted prior or not, as I'm lazy and didn't read all 40-some pages. However, I don't see how this would be hard to implement at all. I played EverQuest II for years, and their naming system (in regards to surnames) is that once you reach level 20, you can set it to nearly anything you wish. The downside (which really isn't a downside to me) is that if you want to change, you have to wait a week from the last change in order to do so again.

I'm pulling for BioWare in the hopes that they can modify the surname system in order to make those of us who like having surnames happy.

In my opinion, this game should definitely have both surnames and legacy names separate. I'll go into what details I can on what I think both should be like.

Surnames are just that: One's last name. An identifier of what family they are a part of. Honestly, the player shouldn't be able to create it until they've reached their respective fleet so they can have time to figure out what their character is doing, and even then it would be simply optional. I just think there'd be an NPC you would talk to in order to set your surname - With people going all over the galaxy as Troopers, Jedi, or Smugglers, paperwork on who families are would fall through cracks easily. Of course, the ability to pay to change it would exist (46 states in the US allow for legal name changes), with the required payment being a fee to pay for the paperwork and other labor required to fulfill the request. Said payment would only exist for any subsequent changes after the first and would follow in the idea of the current "respec" price system: Goes up with how often you use it, but returns to a standard, bottom fee over time.

-----

From an RP Standpoint on this possibility, it could go something like this:

Let's say you roll a female Smuggler and move through Ord Mantell as you normally would. However, you accidentally get yourself caught in a fight too large to handle, and are probably going to die. Then a male Trooper comes in, saving your near-death butt, and the two of you begin adventuring through Ord Mantell together. As you go along, you both begin to see how similar the two of you are. When you finish up on Ord Mantell and reach the fleet, you discover you are both siblings. When registering your surname, you register it as the same to show that you are in the same family.

Now let's see that same scenario where they aren't related: Instead, they set their surnames differently. As time goes on, they continue to work together on a number of assignments, doing what they can to stay somewhat close - on the same planet, at least. As time goes on, they decide to tie the knot: They get married (To those cynics out there: It does happen. People do get married in MMOG's). Then they go to the surname registrar and change their surname to the same, thus indicating their new status.

-----

With the Legacy System, I think it's a great idea. It just could be executed better. In my opinion, the Legacy "Name" should be more of a title that one could wear to show that they are similar to other characters.

From an RP standpoint, say I roll a Smuggler, named Reess, who goes along and achieves his Legacy. Because of how I "act" as him, being polite and helping those in need, I decide the Legacy "Name" to be "Honor." Now let's say I also roll a Bounty Hunter who decides to not follow Imperial ideology, and instead follows in Reess' footsteps. He would wear said title, "Honor," to show everyone that he's like Reess. Now let's say I roll a Jedi Knight who's more like a Sith than a Jedi: Inflicts pain and enjoys every moment. He would deter from the Legacy of "Honor" and instead, forge his own path and Legacy. Would he create a Legacy "Name?" No.

To sum it all up, I think the Legacy "Name" and Surnames should be seperate, whereas the Legacy Name could not be changed once set and was more of a title, but wasn't your surname. Your surname, which would identify who you affiliated yourself with, could be changed, as circumstances cause changes like that to be warranted. Perhaps add a simple piece to one's character sheet that shows their Legacy Name for identification purposes, although couldn't be used for anything RP: That would be taking OOC knowledge IC.

In my opinion, this game should definitely have both surnames and legacy names separate. I'll go into what details I can on what I think both should be like.

Surnames are just that: One's last name. An identifier of what family they are a part of. Honestly, the player shouldn't be able to create it until they've reached their respective fleet so they can have time to figure out what their character is doing, and even then it would be simply optional. I just think there'd be an NPC you would talk to in order to set your surname - With people going all over the galaxy as Troopers, Jedi, or Smugglers, paperwork on who families are would fall through cracks easily. Of course, the ability to pay to change it would exist (46 states in the US allow for legal name changes), with the required payment being a fee to pay for the paperwork and other labor required to fulfill the request. Said payment would only exist for any subsequent changes after the first and would follow in the idea of the current "respec" price system: Goes up with how often you use it, but returns to a standard, bottom fee over time.

-----

Let's say you roll a female Smuggler and move through Ord Mantell as you normally would. However, you accidentally get yourself caught in a fight too large to handle, and are probably going to die. Then a male Trooper comes in, saving your near-death butt, and the two of you begin adventuring through Ord Mantell together. As you go along, you both begin to see how similar the two of you are. When you finish up on Ord Mantell and reach the fleet, you discover you are both siblings. When registering your surname, you register it as the same to show that you are in the same family.

Now let's see that same scenario where they aren't related: Instead, they set their surnames differently. As time goes on, they continue to work together on a number of assignments, doing what they can to stay somewhat close - on the same planet, at least. As time goes on, they decide to tie the knot: They get married (To those cynics out there: It does happen. People do get married in MMOG's). Then they go to the surname registrar and change their surname to the same, thus indicating their new status.

-----

With the Legacy System, I think it's a great idea. It just could be executed better. In my opinion, the Legacy "Name" should be more of a title that one could wear to show that they are similar to other characters.

From an RP standpoint, say I roll a Smuggler, named Reess, who goes along and achieves his Legacy. Because of how I "act" as him, being polite and helping those in need, I decide the Legacy "Name" to be "Honor." Now let's say I also roll a Bounty Hunter who decides to not follow Imperial ideology, and instead follows in Reess' footsteps. He would wear said title, "Honor," to show everyone that he's like Reess. Now let's say I roll a Jedi Knight who's more like a Sith than a Jedi: Inflicts pain and enjoys every moment. He would deter from the Legacy of "Honor" and instead, forge his own path and Legacy. Would he create a Legacy "Name?" No.

To sum it all up, I think the Legacy "Name" and Surnames should be seperate, whereas the Legacy Name could not be changed once set and was more of a title, but wasn't your surname. Your surname, which would identify who you affiliated yourself with, could be changed, as circumstances cause changes like that to be warranted. Perhaps add a simple piece to one's character sheet that shows their Legacy Name for identification purposes, although couldn't be used for anything RP: That would be taking OOC knowledge IC.

This man...did his homework..and then some. Great post.

Someone else made a great point (like 5 pages ago or so). People that make "inappropiate" Legacy names have theres changed. HOWEVER, people that follow the rules and play and enjoy the game, especially those that play on a RP level, make a small error, typo, misread the surname part, whatever the case may be, and they are told they cant change theres. Doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

-----

-----

Superb post.

Allow us to have Guild and Group only names please. I'd rather not see anyone's lore breaking floating name over head. Allow us the option to turn off Titles, Surnames, Legacies and especially Flygirl. I mean, come on! lol

This man...did his homework..and then some. Great post.

Someone else made a great point (like 5 pages ago or so). People that make "inappropiate" Legacy names have theres changed. HOWEVER, people that follow the rules and play and enjoy the game, especially those that play on a RP level, make a small error, typo, misread the surname part, whatever the case may be, and they are told they cant change theres. Doesnt make a whole lot of sense.

I think that was me... or it could have been someone else. I dunno. Generally, those of us who advocate changing the system are of the same mind, and our thinking generally goes:

1) Allow legacy name changes for now.

2) Advocate for splitting surnames from legacy names in the long term.

This is going to be an uphill fight, though, because as large as this thread is, it pales in comparison to those that followed the original announcement of the legacy surnames back in November. I believe people are still outraged, but they're busy leveling mains for right now, and likely have the surname they want for that character. Things will heat up again once people begin rolling alts and suddenly have to decide if their Twi'lek is a secret brother with their Sith Pureblood, or whether they'll be obliged to hide the name.

Edited by AJediKnight

Fun fact -

Brilliant logic.

Some modern cars don't use unleaded at first. Look at the leaf.

Also not all modern cars use unleaded. Most Mercedes Benz use higher grade fuel.

(Now to stop being a ********).

I was stating that it took 3 years for WoW to implement this feature.

So it could take some time for this to be implemented.

I could care less if you change your legacy name. What I am saying is that I believe there are things that are higher on the list of things that need to be done for this game.

In my opinion fixing bugs is more important than offering a bonus service two weeks after launch. (**** why don't they offer Faction Change or Server Changers?"

Notice how many CS reps have stated "This feature isn't available at this time."

Bioware most likely understands you want it. But they clearly have more important things to attend to. Such as bugs that cause people to not be able to play the game.

You can play the game just fine. You have the option to hide your surname if you dislike it. Then when the feature the change it is implemented you can change it.

BioWare is asking you to be patient. This is their first MMO, they're trying to do it right.

If you do not like that name changes were not implemented on day one. Please gather some investors and make your own MMO and Website to fit your needs. You are more than welcome to do so. :)

Edited by Deffin

So it could take some time for this to be implemented.

Notice how many CS reps have stated "This feature isn't available at this time."

That's the part you seem to be missing and that I was trying to explain in the metaphor you so deftly avoided understanding.

Every new game that is made does not need to follow a process by which it starts in the same, unformed state and slowly adds the same features in the same order. The way the Legacy name works now isn't an accident. It isn't a case of them just not being done (although that is part of it). The problem is that it was designed from the beginning to work in a certain way, and that way is stupid.

The question then becomes - why did they intentionally repeat the mistakes of others in the past (in addition to all the extra mistakes they created new to pile on top). Don't start at the same miserable state the competition was at and duplicate all their work. Start from the best present examples and evolve from there.

I think the biggest misconception people make with Legacy names is that they are surnames. Then again, maybe they are surnames, but I'll explain the way I understand it.

In my opinion, a Legacy is a grouping of characters under a specific idea or identity. The characters are not related in any specific way, and they are never referred to their legacy name as an actual part of their name or heritage. It's just a grouping that denotes those characters as a set.

Here is a good way to explain this. Final Fantasy is a legacy, and in that legacy are a bunch of RPG games that have different, unconnected stories with many different characters, places, cultures, villains, etc. The Final Fantasy name is just a means to group them together under a common banner.

All your characters under a legacy are like a collection that you grant an identity you want other people to recognize.

Now, should legacy names still be changeable? Sure.

Nothing puts an MMO player in a foul mood than having to deal with irreversible decisions that forever dominate his path. We like customization and the ability to fix mistakes, because few people are ever happy with the results after one attempt. Especially a cosmetic/aesthetic choice like a face or name, those decisions sit with people longer because it's an identity. And it's 10 times as worse if you are a perfectionist like me (If there was an achievement system in this game, I'd have a seizure).

I think the biggest misconception people make with Legacy names is that they are surnames.

An easy "mistake" to make, as the quintessential example given is Skywalker, the default display is as a surname, and there is no other mechanism to display a surname.

All your characters under a legacy are like a collection that you grant an identity you want other people to recognize.

See, there is already a common name for that in gaming - it's usually called a "global name".

And as a global name, the legacy system fails miserably. Not only does it do nothing a global name should do, they can't even add the functionality without changing the legacy name completely.

And as a global name, the legacy system fails miserably. Not only does it do nothing a global name should do, they can't even add the functionality without changing the legacy name completely.

I think MMOs should go with the single global name contact idea, since I've seen it work in Champions Online. A player could name their characters anything they want, but in order to send a message or mail to that person you would have to use their contact name, with was similar to @BlahPerson. There could be 5,000 people named Deadpool in the game with no restriction. They each have a separate, unique global name, but the same character names.

I prefer this global name system against unique one-of-a-kind names, because my first MMO was Ultima Online, and there were no unique names to limit what you can or can't call your character.

Also I'm incredibly biased to love Ultima Online unconditionally, so I'll just leave it at that :cool:

An easy "mistake" to make, as the quintessential example given is Skywalker, the default display is as a surname, and there is no other mechanism to display a surname.

Or, all you have to really say, is that the system was originally promoted as a 'solution' to the surname demands. We asked for it, they provided... something... and they called it a Legacy surname.

I personally wish I had taken more time choosing my legacy name. Mine is incredibly stupid because I was in a rush to simply keep advancing story in Early Access. Though the rushed decision was my fault completely, I wouldn't mind seeing a 1 time change available in game or an outside payment option to change it whenever I felt like.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.