The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Class Conversation Style at last chapter...hate it.

Lunafox

I do this in blue but this is stupid and another point to giving up.

Mute style works well if your game is set that way, YOU CANNOT GO FROM TALKING TO MUTE.

It feels cheap,unwanted and breaks all immersion give us the option to go back to normal chat and pay the actors to finish the job.

stop half assing it ....

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as Bioware announces that they will do fully voiced alliance they will announce that this will result in the alliance content coming a lot slower than anticipated and double the effort to make it. Then people will still rage on this forum why Bioware doesn't make any new content.

Yeah I kinda know what you mean, keep this limited to the alliance system and I won't be too bothered, even if the alliance system is technically a part of the main story. I have yet to see whether it influences companion conversations yet.

I kind of see it as a lesser evil thing. If that style of conversation means that we will get more alliance content faster and Bioware can focus on making everything else the best cinematic story experience they can...then I will take it. However: If that KOTOR style conversation sweeps over to the main story arcs and everything else (or everything except the main story), then I will be disappointed.

You guys really need to think about this in the long run. Had they fully voiced every conversation we will be having with everyone, you know... the stuff we are going to be grinding for the next year or so... we'd all be driven mad by the end of the month and our space bars would likely be fading much, much quicker.

Except it works completely opposite. I for example am spacebaring away the conversations as soon as I am done with reading the subtitles for the NPC (around third the time of VO), because they are already broken by my character to speaking.

So long as it stays confined to the OPTIONAL ALLIANCE system, I couldn't care less. But if that crap starts to creep into the main story and companions....

Except Alliance is hardly "optional" content.

Optional is stuff like PvP or dailies. Bringing back old fan favorite characters should not be treated as optional.

Funnily enough, I actually would have much preferred it if this was the system they had gone with since the start. In KotOR I felt like I was my own character. In SWtOR I'm just dictating which one of three Americans is my character.

Funnily enough, I actually would have much preferred it if this was the system they had gone with since the start. In KotOR I felt like I was my own character. In SWtOR I'm just dictating which one of three Americans is my character.

I disagree, but that is because I'm hugely attached to my character, the cocky american accent fits perfectly for what I would want my smuggler to sound like. The quick snipes and humour constantly flooding cinematics as the smuggler is amazing and you lose that with just text.

I disagree, but that is because I'm hugely attached to my character, the cocky american accent fits perfectly for what I would want my smuggler to sound like. The quick snipes and humour constantly flooding cinematics as the smuggler is amazing and you lose that with just text.

Agreed on the Smuggler, his delivery is fantastic and hence became my main. However while the smuggler luckily fitted exactly how I wanted to play him, my JK is just ridiculously flat and boring and nothing like how I want him to be.

at first I thought it sucks... but then I understood the reasons. this type of convo is only used in alliance management related missions where you need to pick up from number of options, also no one will listen to the same convo over and over and over...

just take for example the mechanics to give locked supply boxes, you would have listen to the same line 5-10 times in succession ?

if it's not invading story oriented mission I'm up for it.

swtors biggest weakness has always been content updates. Having to get 16 voice artists to record for every little side quest really holds things up. If theres a choice between a voiced side quest that has no bearing on my main story or characters development or 16 times the side content unvoiced. Give me the content any day. Leave the VO for the main story. Edited by Tellenn

Do you have proof to claim it's what you say it is?

Do you have proof what hes saying isnt true...and Im not talking some Dev post, or Patch Notes...cause seriously that aint gonna cut it.

Show us an internal memo stating that they planned this from the beginig as a homage to KOTOR, and Ill buy it...otherwise Ill think its crap and was done simply because EA as a game company is cheap...and doesnt want to pay VA's what they want...

I really cant believe anyone expected it to be a long expansion considering its basically 15 dollars (the cost of a subscription). I'm not defending it or anything, I haven't played it, but I expect it to be several hours long with repeatable dailies.

: cough : ESO offers 20 + hours of gameplay for their new expansions and they are being released every 3 months free to subscribers. And they have less money than BW.

You know how much content they could make if they cut QA? Dialogue? Cutscenes? Way more. But they never will because it will compromise the quality and/or feel of the game. "More quick content" can't be an excuse here, because, yes, VO comprises a large part of the feel and experience of the game. It's so much a part that it is a legitimate reason that people play this game and was one of the main marketing points when this game was initially launched. And what's worse is that this IS the alliance content. The personal, intimate content.

Here's a quote from the blog:

"Alliance stories will generally be more intimate and character driven, designed to complement and counterbalance the more ‘epic’ storyline of the Chapter stories. They’ll be very much about getting to know awesome characters, and controlling how your interactions unfold."

The intimacy is where voice acting is at it's most important. It's where ACTING is most important, and that's the very place it was cut. No less, in a game where all the content save for this new intimate content IS voice acted, suggesting an expectation for VO to be present throughout the game. Do you think any new player would get to this part of the game, having played the initial content or not, and not IMMEDIATELY be confused? In this very thread people are reporting that they thought it was a bug.

And I'd like people to remember that they did 'rehire' our initial 16 VAs for all the main content anyway (they actually have them hired for future content when they signed up for the game), so the Alliance content would only take extra time, rather than having to get the actors make themselves available for a new date. Lastly, the recent VA strike agreement was far too recent to affect anything in this expansion unless they wrote this content only in the past month.

Voice acting is part of this game, in a sense, it IS this game's feel and tone. To limit it is short-sighted and silly. Never compromise the tone and feel of content for more of it.

I dont even know if you can really say more content...over half the players I know who have early access have completed the 9 chapters already...in what 2 days...and a large percentage of those on the first day...so at this point can we honestly say it was to supply more content, or is this Biowares Parent Company being cheap...Im more inclined to the later....

With some of the stuff in the expansion, it just has me believing that they dont really want to spend money on this game...

Loss of VA on Last Chapter (as you say, for where the VO's would be most important and impressive)

Revamp of Companions, where theyre all the same, except with different skins (even the cartel market ones...which is total bs)

Loss of Vendors (Leading to speculation that most of that gear will be coming back in the cartel market)

It just seems they have the spend less for quality, make more stuff sellable...I understand its a business...but some decisions kill your game

at first I thought it sucks... but then I understood the reasons. this type of convo is only used in alliance management related missions where you need to pick up from number of options, also no one will listen to the same convo over and over and over...

just take for example the mechanics to give locked supply boxes, you would have listen to the same line 5-10 times in succession ?

if it's not invading story oriented mission I'm up for it.

Basically this. It actually saves time. As someone said earlier in the thread, it's a grind feast. It's limited to the Alliance system, and it actually makes sense to distinguish the followers/contacts you gained through the Alliance system from your old companions, with whom you communicate with more intimately with a focus on their personal story rather than just to gain points in influence. IMO, the money would be better spent elsewhere than to make VA for every character response in the Alliance system - even if it's the trailer, which was very well done and presumably served its purpose of attracting more players to join or come back.

just take for example the mechanics to give locked supply boxes, you would have listen to the same line 5-10 times in succession?

They could have easily handle that through a terminal or something like that. It opens up a specialized window anyway

it actually makes sense to distinguish the followers/contacts you gained through the Alliance system from your old companions, with whom you communicate with more intimately with a focus on their personal story rather than just to gain points in influence.

Except that is not true. Old companions recruited through the alliance system (Yuun, Pierce, Forex, Qyzen, etc) use this new interface where your player character is mute

Edited by Aries_cz

swtors biggest weakness has always been content updates. Having to get 16 voice artists to record for every little side quest really holds things up. If theres a choice between a voiced side quest that has no bearing on my main story or characters development or 16 times the side content unvoiced. Give me the content any day. Leave the VO for the main story.

Except it never has been an issue. VOs are usually done in advance for several updates. They are not bringing actors to say two lines...

BioWare actually has a good system in place for voice acting talents.

The tears are delicious.

But seriously folks. You realize that this would mean a loooot of additional voice work on top of the already epic chapters? I mean yea I understand the frustration but if I have more options to say to companions and even be able to talk to companions from other classes then I am fine with that.

I expected to get 9 chapters of story and that`s it but on top we get a pretty cool alliance system which gives motivation to play and grind to unlock companions. I honestly am pretty happy. Again, I understand the frustration of our players being silent but for that we have more dialoug options and I like that.

The tears are delicious.

But seriously folks. You realize that this would mean a loooot of additional voice work on top of the already epic chapters? I mean yea I understand the frustration but if I have more options to say to companions and even be able to talk to companions from other classes then I am fine with that.

I expected to get 9 chapters of story and that`s it but on top we get a pretty cool alliance system which gives motivation to play and grind to unlock companions. I honestly am pretty happy. Again, I understand the frustration of our players being silent but for that we have more dialoug options and I like that.

In all honesty, i'd rather have them as grinding daily like missions, if they were written up in notifications, just like the dailies on makeb, or Ziost or any other place, small readable missions to improve, when I see cinematic I kinda want voice acting, when I see a daily, yeah go for just a small written note.

This halfway mix is frustrating as it doesn't allow my character to express himself at all in a situation where he should be able to.

In all honesty, i'd rather have them as grinding daily like missions, if they were written up in notifications, just like the dailies on makeb, or Ziost or any other place, small readable missions to improve, when I see cinematic I kinda want voice acting, when I see a daily, yeah go for just a small written note.

This halfway mix is frustrating as it doesn't allow my character to express himself at all in a situation where he should be able to.

I really didn`t like the dailies on Ziost. But I understand you.

Though for me it`s annoying but at the same time I think it`s pretty cool to be able to talk and recruit companions from other classes.

Also with more responses I feel like I can express myself more where before when I picked a option and my character would say something completely different.

Again I understand the frustration but this is the way I see it.

Hi Luna! :) Nice to see you. I can understand what you mean about you thinking it's terrible. But if you think about it, it goes with the game more in some circumstances. I love the normal style they have with the wheel to, and always thought they could put 3 more choices on the left side of the wheel as well so we all have 6 choices.

However, maybe it's because you aren't used to it in this game yet. I think it's pretty cool for them to add this. At least we have more options now though. I liked kotor series a lot so maybe I'm seeing this from another point of view. Maybe in time you'll get used to it.

Except that is not true. Old companions recruited through the alliance system (Yuun, Pierce, Forex, Qyzen, etc) use this new interface where your player character is mute

Except that they're now interacting with you in the Alliance system and are part of the Alliance. We've heard their stories before, we've interacted with them closely in the previous adventures, we've come to know them and them us. Now the focus has shifted and we interact with them like we do with new companions and contacts. The point I was trying to make was more about the focus of the system than the mere identity of the companions themselves.

Me too... I got highly disappointed over there. I have no problem with the new conversation style, layout and button changes but c'mon... it's meh when we, our character just stands there and does nothing(in other words no cut-scene of our char speaking or saying something). I'm not also agreeing with "Hey, it's only for Alliance bruh!" either, because Alliance is also a thing that matters to me and it sucks if it lacks what is required.

I know they did this to bring back the kotor experience for some players but for that, changing something of this game's original content isn't fair and not the way that should be done. Also idc if they couldn't afford more voice actors for this, this is an expansion where companions and alliance members were given highest priority following story and if they couldn't do anything about it, then they better stop making content and disappoint players like me. Level sync first(I know it's mandatory in some ways) and now this...

For players like me, it's like pushing us right of the cliff. Hope they do something about it and please BioWare, stop disappointing us in serious parts of the game.

Except that they're now interacting with you in the Alliance system and are part of the Alliance. We've heard their stories before, we've interacted with them closely in the previous adventures, we've come to know them and them us. Now the focus has shifted and we interact with them like we do with new companions and contacts. The point I was trying to make was more about the focus of the system than the mere identity of the companions themselves.

My issue is not the interface itself, it is mostly fine (although they could move subtitles to the lower half of the screen). It is that your player character is suddenly mute. It is very jarring when compared to the rest of the game.

There is no reason for our main character, who has been talking through everything, suddenly turn mute in certain specific conversations.

Edited by Aries_cz