Attention all players and Devs - 4.0 most complained about new feature. LEVEL SYNC

xlDaemonlx

Change will always be complained about its the nature of change. Level sync however is not a bad idea because its change its a bad idea because its a BAD IDEA. I'm a predominately solo player who is playing through each class for the story. I don't have a lot of time to hunt for groups and I have no problem with being over leveled on a planet so I can power through some of the content, especially as it saves me finding groups for heroic content. I also enjoy running solo lower level flash points so I can watch the cut scenes and read the story without darth jerk telling me to hurry up every two seconds.

I know mmo's are about group play but without a knights of the old republic three to play solo, SWTOR is my option for immersive Starwars story. To have enough toons to play through all classes I need to be a subscriber and so I am.

Level sync is ruining the ability of players like myself to enjoy the game. The idea of being a powerful sith or jedi roaming the galaxy is largely undermined by level sync. It needs to be optional or removed. I won't be renewing my subscription till this gets fixed or a work around is implemented. Bummer really.

To the folks saying just accept it, frankly if I'm paying an ongoing cost for a product, I want that product to be worth the cost and I want the sellers of the product to cater for the needs of their customers. There is a large enough collection of folks unhappy with level sync to justify some kind of workaround. If level sync impacts your enjoyment of the game then why pay for it.

Edited by Porphyriacus
corrected a spelling error, it is a complaint letter but at least I can strive to write it well.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

level sync must go away or be optional.

for example; i do not want to wait 30 mins because of low population spamming the chat for players to do a group mission on a planet and then when i want to see the story they all keep yelling SKIIIIPPPP!!! during the cutscenes.so i want to come back at a higher level to do it by myself without the hassle of having players suck their thumbs in the corner during a fight. and it also dose not make any sense in the story i am "the empire's wrath" i stopped Revan on yavin, stopped the Dread Masters and so on, to then go on a low lvl planet to do the quests to be the same power and get owned by a random spice junkie. Bioware prides itself on the "STORY" thing that they made SOLO flashpoins for players who want to see JUST the story and not struggle to find a party. now what do they do? they take that whole solo story thing and throw it out the window. it's horrible and shamefull. at this rate i don't think i will subscribe to this anymore.

I just want to throw my vote in for this to be an optional feature.

TL;DR The game is supposed to be fun for everyone, this feature makes the game less enjoyable for a significant number of people and should be optional with certain restrictions for PvP.

I feel like being at max level is worthless now as most of my time spent in this game has been spent soloing lower level content for fun and rewards like datacrons and decorations. Now, while not impossible, it is more difficult and less enjoyable. New content should be challenging, not things that used to be low level. Having the option to make the low level things difficult is fine, but it needs to be an option, not a fact. I will probably never play my Republic characters again because of this as I never group with them. To me and other solo players, this is limiting the content we can enjoy more than it is adding.

On a side note, the Solo mode for flashpoints always was and will be annoying for me (unless they drop the god droid and make it fun). I have leveled through Rishi on all my characters and I will never set foot in a solo FP again if I can help it. So adding a solo FP mode does not make this better and in fact worsens the experience I have in the game significantly.

For those concerned with being level synced for PvE content and people coming around and one hitting enemies around you, you will have the option to release the level sync so you can compete with those people until they leave. Therefore, that is not a valid opposition for this feature being optional and as many have said, griefers will be griefers no matter what features are added or removed.

As to the loot upgrades, I would say if you optionally disable level sync, you get the normal loot table for the level of enemy just as before. I do not go run old heroics for the blue armor, I run them for conquest or datacrons or the look of custom gear that may drop. If I wanted my level of loot, I would join an Op or HM group and run something for my level.

I can also see this from the perspective of those on a PvP server. However, if this feature is tied into being flagged for PvP, that would make it so you cannot get ganked easily by one person if you are synced and they are not. However, you decided to join a PvP server and you knew there would always be a risk of getting ganked. That is part of PvP servers and if you regret being on a PvP server, that is your problem, not the problem of the PvE community.

There are obviously multiple views of this issue going around, but the majority of people dislike this feature, either for good reasons or not. When it comes down to it, though, whether or not their reasons are good and sound does not matter. What matters is that people are not enjoying the game they are paying for and supporting. The entire point of MMO games is to have fun and if a feature starts to make the game less enjoyable, people will stop playing and stop supporting it. I played for hours on Tuesday leveling my main and I have to say that I feel no desire to continue playing this game now due to a few factors, one of which in a large way is level sync. I have not made my decision yet, but I hope this thread and these people are not ignored by the developers.

Oh give it a rest already. It's here, it's not going anywhere, we can stop pretending this is a democracy.

You are right on but a single point, a singular wit to borrow from an old star trek movie.

This ain't a democracy. What we are dealing with is a large corporation that doesn't give a hoot about anything except their shareholders.

It is my one hope that this fiasco (4.0) will be devastating to the bottom line with many of the hard core players leaving after quickly becoming bored with the cartoon cinematcs, which is what these folks think they are bringing to the table. I for one, will not be purchasing any more of those cartel coins. Why would I? With no comps to equip there is little reason to participate in the cartel market.

And I think we all know that is the cash cow of this game.

And no, I won't give it a rest cause I am hurt, mad and pissed off that the thousands of hours I put into this game and my comps has been destroyed and replaced by a cartoon.

If these folks think that I am going to go back to all those other planets, get my stats nerfed, and run those old bonus mission again, just to grow the alliance they are fools. Seriously? They want me to run the battle of ilum again nerfed at level 50? I was running that solo and had much more fun.

No, you are right, this ain't a democracy. It is a plutocracy just like the good ol usa.

First I would like to address the comments from people that this is a feature that does not affect many players, BioWAre loves to use Metrics for things for many changes so I shall do the same. In just a few days this Topic has moved to page 49 of 2139 in total views, and 9... Again page 9 of 2139 for total replies in the Suggestion Box posts. That is pretty high considering some of the posts above and below it were active for weeks/moths at a time more than this one at only a few days.... Clearly this is something that should be addressed for how quickly many people have come together to discuss it and also agree with it. So please everyone who keeps saying "Who cares?" please refrain from leaving them because clearly people do.

Ok I see many people who like level sync, and many who do not. My main thing is does making it OPTIONAL really effect either? I mean the biggest thing for making it either way has been griefing and pvp. That will happen anyways so that is a mute point. There was a reported bug/exploit from a few servers and many players of Oppsoing factions getting to enemy starting planets and attacking them in droves, attacking at med centers and making PVP flags unable to change. This is clear proof that if people want to attack or grief people who are defenseless they WILL do it. For everything else making it OPTIONAL, not getting rid of it, but optional should not change either sides preference.

(For Enemy attacks post: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=844873)

For those who want the challenge, the XP, the everything that comes with this feature will STILL get it, and still be able to take advantage of the perks.

For those who enjoyed playing it how it has been for the last few years, then they also STILL get what they want.

I still have not heard of any reason besides PVP and Griefers that it should not be optional. Which again is a mute argument because you will still have issues with both systems.

For all of you who keep speaking volumes about how great it is, if it being optional would not affect you then you should also agree to this change. This way more players get what they want, the full customization SWTOR has always held to, and avoid the risk of losing players due to this preference. SWTOR and BioWare have repeatedly added and changed features so that all players, casual to hardcore from PVP to PVE and even RP, all enjoy being able to play how they would like.

So I please ask that if you enjoy the system and its features, and would not mind if it was optional so that it cast a wider net to a wider audience of players please agree to this. As I have said I do not want to see this feature gone, just optional. So part of this topic is also to make sure BioWare does not reverse it entirely. So please again agree if you would like to see this OPTIONAL.

Also please can people just stop posting over and over again that "Its not that Hard". Many people who want it optional do not feel it is an impossible challenge to the game, many just liked the features of the leveling system and being able to use that to their advantage, just as those who support the Level Sync features and plan to use them to your advantage. Its all preferences and as long as our two do not interfere with the others, then I see no valid reason to make it OPTIONAL.

Thank you.

Edited by xlDaemonlx
Forgot to add something.

To me it always boils down to Power, the measuring of power is what alot of players enjoy with level systems, going back to places you have been regardless of preference killing things you had a challenging time killing before, is now easy, thus you can actually get that feeling that you've achieved something ( I know its a game) although this gets alittle boring to do over n over, atleast for me, very fast. But with level sync this is basically taken away, yes you can kill things very fast, still, compared to being the actual level cap though it is not the same thing at all. I understand the decisions behind the level sync and I believe it would not be a big problem if it had been in the game from the beginning. Appreciate what BW is trying to do, but it still feels off. I don't think making it optional is a good choice either as it would detract from the experience of others if a cap level then just steamrolls through the area you're level shifted in, sure you can turn yours off as well but then it breaks the point of having it be optional.

What then ? shall it all just be instanced and only bases are where players see eachother ? Making up more planets for higher level content works fine but at some point it's illogical, the main hubs and places of the empire/republic/whatevers in charge, is and should be where alot of the action takes place as it's the places of power. I realize they can just instance many places but that makes the world feel detached from the rest, so if they introduced new places on old planets in the open world and put in new npcs it would be more entertaining if they could remove and/or replace old things without worrying about hurting the lower leveled characters in the process. Not saying I know BW's goals but if they have an easier time making better content and less time consumption in them achieveing their milestones, overall the players would benefit, no ?

It's difficult for me because I enjoyed the previous system more but I might just not like change to begin with. But BW has to make a choice in the end, the old system is flawed a great deal as certain aspects will stop making sense the higher they raise the level cap.

Just some of my thoughts on the topic. Kept reading about it on forum. I have no conclusions just thoughts :p

Even when I ask people in Fleet, many people who want this feature gone are ok with it being optional and vice versa, it seems all too easy to make it an optional choice, maybe a Socal Preference option or maybe something you can purchase to turn it on or off. Maybe make an Item called a limiter that limits the capabilities of those who use it so there is even the added lore behind it.

Change will always be complained about its the nature of change. Level sync however is not a bad idea because its change its a bad idea because its a BAD IDEA. I'm a predominately solo player who is playing through each class for the story. I don't have a lot of time to hunt for groups and I have no problem with being over leveled on a planet so I can power through some of the content, especially as it saves me finding groups for heroic content. I also enjoy running solo lower level flash points so I can watch the cut scenes and read the story without darth jerk telling me to hurry up every two seconds.

I know mmo's are about group play but without a knights of the old republic three to play solo, SWTOR is my option for immersive Starwars story. To have enough toons to play through all classes I need to be a subscriber and so I am.

Level sync is ruining the ability of players like myself to enjoy the game. The idea of being a powerful sith or jedi roaming the galaxy is largely undermined by level sync. It needs to be optional or removed. I won't be renewing my subscription till this gets fixed or a work around is implemented. Bummer really.

To the folks saying just accept it, frankly if I'm paying an ongoing cost for a product, I want that product to be worth the cost and I want the sellers of the product to cater for the needs of their customers. There is a large enough collection of folks unhappy with level sync to justify some kind of workaround. If level sync impacts your enjoyment of the game then why pay for it.

You can still do everything you said. If you over level a planet you are still synced above the level of the planet. You still have all your skills and passives and are much stronger than a normal level person. You can still solo heroics as most are 2 man now. Thats you and your companion as you faceroll it. You can solo flashpoints as well you just cant burn through it in 5 minutes but from what you said thats not what you do anyway. So for you level sync shouldnt be an issue.

As to the bigger picture it seems that a lot of people are complaining but dont appear to have even tried it. Some are even making statements that are simply not true. If you are level synced to a planet and having problems then its you not the level sync. I personally like the level sync. I still feel plenty powerful and can kill everything on the planets with out problem. Other than world bosses of course. The rewards for doing the low level stuff is scaled to you so getting xp gear and credits at your level is nice. For me and most people level sync is a good thing at best and a non issue at worst. Its a small minority that have issue with it and I think most just dont like the idea and have not even tried it.

Edited by deucedog

You can still do everything you said. If you over level a planet you are still synced above the level of the planet. You still have all your skills and passives and are much stronger than a normal level person. You can still solo heroics as most are 2 man now. Thats you and your companion as you faceroll it. You can solo flashpoints as well you just cant burn through it in 5 minutes but from what you said thats not what you do anyway. So for you level sync shouldnt be an issue.

As to the bigger picture it seems that a lot of people are complaining but dont appear to have even tried it. Some are even making statements that are simply not true. If you are level synced to a planet and having problems then its you not the level sync. I personally like the level sync. I still feel plenty powerful and can kill everything on the planets with out problem. Other than world bosses of course. The rewards for doing the low level stuff is scaled to you so getting xp gear and credits at your level is nice. For me and most people level sync is a good thing at best and a non issue at worst. Its a small minority that have issue with it and I think most just dont like the idea and have not even tried it.

There in lies one the problems, for solo players the only reason this system works in many instances is now companions are in most cases stronger than they were before, my healer now has way more health, and my damage companion has more health and can do insane amounts of damage. This is the reasoning many people give for being able to do things so quickly and well, there are some players who do not like using their companions aswell as many people being upset that the companions are now too strong and people feel it takes away from their characters, and many players making new characters are finding content their level way too easy with the new companions. Many of these new players and even many in the forums are saying they can now solo heroics a few levels above with no problems. Right next to level sync this is the next most complained about change, and many, with both of these issues combined there are many who feel their character has lost a lot of the power and feel they had.

As far as the benifits making it optional would still allow those who dislike it to play the game their way, both parties happy. Just as you said to him, if this isn't something that you do, so making optional level sync should not cause you any issues. Also as far as the minority goes, there are plenty of people who care about this issue either way, and many who dont care probably wouldn't mind it being optional either. So if you think about it, those who use this feature, those who do not care, and those who dont like it would all get what they want, so I am not understanding why so many people are having and issue with it being optional. Most arguments against it almost feel like people are saying to get rid of it entirely, which is something I do not think anyone really wants, just making it optional makes it so you can catch the most of the player groups. There will still be those few that complain about griefing and PVP ganking and since the dawn of pvp and mmos there have been both in almost every game.

I thank you all for your opinions and feedback and I would still like to hear a legitimate reason why this should not be optional. Maybe if its a good one more people would accept it, but so far I have not found any so please keep agreeing with the optional Level Sync, or if you have a reason why it should not be changed.

Even when I ask people in Fleet, many people who want this feature gone are ok with it being optional and vice versa, it seems all too easy to make it an optional choice, maybe a Socal Preference option or maybe something you can purchase to turn it on or off. Maybe make an Item called a limiter that limits the capabilities of those who use it so there is even the added lore behind it.

That is funny because when I ask in fleet, most people seem to like level sync, now that it is live and they have had a chance to see how it works.

I generally get responses from a dozen to two dozen people that like level sync, but there are only one or two that say they don't like it (usually because they can't solo world bosses anymore) and demand that BW make it "make it optional", then.

There in lies one the problems, for solo players the only reason this system works in many instances is now companions are in most cases stronger than they were before, my healer now has way more health, and my damage companion has more health and can do insane amounts of damage. This is the reasoning many people give for being able to do things so quickly and well, there are some players who do not like using their companions aswell as many people being upset that the companions are now too strong and people feel it takes away from their characters, and many players making new characters are finding content their level way too easy with the new companions. Many of these new players and even many in the forums are saying they can now solo heroics a few levels above with no problems. Right next to level sync this is the next most complained about change, and many, with both of these issues combined there are many who feel their character has lost a lot of the power and feel they had.

As far as the benifits making it optional would still allow those who dislike it to play the game their way, both parties happy. Just as you said to him, if this isn't something that you do, so making optional level sync should not cause you any issues. Also as far as the minority goes, there are plenty of people who care about this issue either way, and many who dont care probably wouldn't mind it being optional either. So if you think about it, those who use this feature, those who do not care, and those who dont like it would all get what they want, so I am not understanding why so many people are having and issue with it being optional. Most arguments against it almost feel like people are saying to get rid of it entirely, which is something I do not think anyone really wants, just making it optional makes it so you can catch the most of the player groups. There will still be those few that complain about griefing and PVP ganking and since the dawn of pvp and mmos there have been both in almost every game.

I thank you all for your opinions and feedback and I would still like to hear a legitimate reason why this should not be optional. Maybe if its a good one more people would accept it, but so far I have not found any so please keep agreeing with the optional Level Sync, or if you have a reason why it should not be changed.

There have been many legitimate reasons given. You simply choose to dismiss them since they do not mesh with your desires.

I know that game systems like to introduce new mechanics and I usually don't mind. I still have nightmares from the changes made to SWG and still have flashbacks. I just happened to run some characters the last two days and today I noticed something - a disturbance in the force I think. I was running my Sith Juggernaut and I had my companion Vette on DPS. I was doing Heroics 2 missions and I noticed all i had to do was run into the middle of a group of bad guys and Vette killed them all without me raising my light saber. I tried it again and this time I just sat down watching the mayhem and realized I was no longer necessary. On and on Vette was able to kill over and over again until the fifth group and I decided to heal her but she was only down 5 maybe 10 %.

Before when i felt the need to ask for help because I was being beaten now I walk through everything like it was level 5 and i am 28. There is no fear anymore because everything is a pushover. NOT EVEN a challenge. Am i missing something?

The only difference now is that you can't one-shot mobs anymore. You now have to 2 or 3 shot them. They still die easily and without problems if you're 60 or 65.

You even keep all skills. Active and passive. Nothing was really taken from you.

Edited by Diefenbaker

Please, please, please make level sync an option in the preferences.

No cartel market coins to temporarily switch off - I already pay enough with subscriptions ans c m coins.

It has taken me all this time to get my multiple characters to different classes and levels, all geared up so I can feel a sense of achievement and progress with the game and follow the stories. To have that taken away and be 'synced' down to levels below that I had achieved is just so infuriating.

Imagine a judo champ who had spent years to achieve a black belt - only to be told that he now has to fight as a beginner to evenly match someone who joined the class last week.

Bioware - show some respect and loyalty to the players who bought this game in the beginning and have stuck with it and have given you their loyalty - and MONEY.

i f you don't change this and make it optional, then I will cancel my subscription - refuse to play the new content you are pinning your hopes on and leave the game.

BIOWARE - YOU ARE KILLING THIS GAME

Bioware show some respect and loyalty to the players who bought this game in the beginning and have stuck with it and have given you their loyalty - and MONEY.

i f you don't change this and make it optional, then I will cancel my subscription - refuse to play the new content you are pinning your hopes on and leave the game.

BIOWARE - YOU ARE KILLING THIS GAME

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Bring back pre 4.0 level and companions system

Edited by Elsindirion

Level sync is not going away. It was the simplest way to align/balance SWTOR I with SWTOR II. It cannot be optional. Doing so would break the game in about a dozen different ways, all of which have been discussed to death.

And, seriously, has anyone complaining about group content actually tried the group content? The Heroics are "heroic" in name only. They've all been significantly simplified. All the mobs have downgraded in rank. Heck, most of the bosses aren't even champions. They're just vanilla golds.

And that's before you take OP companions into account.

Edited by Alphasgimaone