Can we get Nico Okarr at all?

HumbleJedi

Sorry - sloppy wording on my part. What I meant was that mechanically-identical items were available. I didn't mean to imply that the exact items were available. As far as I've seen, they've never exactly duplicated a time-limited reward.

Exactly. You might be able to get a re-color or a re-skin or a highly similar item (how many coats are there that are exactly like Nico's, aside from the color and legacy-bound-ness?), but never the exact same item.

On the one hand, we have people whining that it's unfair that they can no longer get that exact item. On the other hand, we have other people whining about what they regard as a too-similar item being made available, thus threatening their special snowflake status.

Edited by branmakmuffin

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll agree with everyone who said you're not missing out on much. Though, as a generic style companion, he has a few advantages:

First you can use him from level 1 and so you'll always have one more crew member to craft than you would until you get your full set. With overlevelling, this is handy because you often find you can run more missions than you have companions for. You can also cheese though your starter planet in the grey gear you start in if you are feeling particularly lazy.

Second, he will not disappear when you start KOFTE, so if you bother to level him up, you'll have a high level crafter/healer during chapters 1-9 if/when you decide to take a break from the KOFTE story; that is, you're not stuck with a level 2 Lana, HK and Koth as your only companions.

Finally, he speaks Basic so you can understand what he's jabbering on about without having the chat window open all the time. Not sure if this is a good thing because he's basically just a washed up old drunk from the SW version of Texas (Ord Mantell?). This sounds funnier than it is but it's better than listening to bloop-beep-boop or foto mo creeda chay-chay over and over because Huttese has maybe 20 unique sentences that somehow make up an entire language.

I was new to the game in the build up to KOFTE and I thought Nico would be a companion with a story, quests and unique mission dialogue. I was a little naïve. Most subscriber rewards are fluff which is why they can keep them exclusive.

I don't care if they sell him on the GTN for around 1500cc after a reasonable time (6 months?) has passed. There are lots of things I can't get in game because I never played it until last year; but when I did start playing, I subbed from day 1. I'm not precious about denying other people getting their hands on something later and at a cost I didn't have to pay (my sub was for playing the game, the rewards are just extra) :cool:

Edited by ForjKlahaa

Name one thing.

Nar Shaddaa Sky Palace, kinda. Subs got about four million credits worth of rooms for free IIRC. It was already known to be non-exclusive when it was announced though.

First you can use him from level 1 and so you'll always have one more crew member to craft than you would until you get your full set. With overlevelling, this is handy because you often find you can run more missions than you have companions for.

I'm fairly certain you can get HK-51 at level 1 as well. At least the unlock doesn't list a level requirement. Treek is available at level 10, and you can't get crew skills any earlier.

Second, he will not disappear when you start KOFTE, so if you bother to level him up, you'll have a high level crafter/healer during chapters 1-9 if/when you decide to take a break from the KOFTE story; that is, you're not stuck with a level 2 Lana, HK and Koth as your only companions.

This applies to HK-51 and Treek as well.

Finally, he speaks Basic so you can understand what he's jabbering on about without having the chat window open all the time.

As does HK-51.

Far as I know NONE of the rewards offered to subs for being subbed on a specific date has EVER been offered to players who didn't qualify for them so I don't see how or why any of these would be handles any differently.

Agree, but if he did end up on market, I personally will not complain. I got mine free as I was subbing anyway regardless of any sub reward. So if BW put him on market I really don't care.

Like you said though, this is not something BW has done before, so may not care if he did end up on market I don't think it will happen.

Nar Shaddaa Sky Palace, kinda. Subs got about four million credits worth of rooms for free IIRC. It was already known to be non-exclusive when it was announced though.

I'm fairly certain you can get HK-51 at level 1 as well. At least the unlock doesn't list a level requirement. Treek is available at level 10, and you can't get crew skills any earlier.

This applies to HK-51 and Treek as well.

As does HK-51.

I was just pointing out some of the benefits of having him over the other Alliance and CM companions to show he isn't "worthless" but not exactly special either. I really don't care if he is made available to people who didn't subscribe or not. I have no dog in this fight.

If someone uses that stupid "special snowflake" line again.....

We get it, you're jealous - just don't try and hide it behind a "funny comment".

As for appearing on cartel market - will never happen. Because if it does, the amount of people who will simply unsub during the "no new content" stages of the game will make quite a dent in things. By offering exclusive items they keep some people on a sub who would otherwise not bother.

The "staying subbed for the HK mission at the end of the current story" really doesn't count. I don't know one person who ever wanted the ability to "play as HK" and I think the percentage of people who are truly excited about it is pretty minimal.

The monthly awards at the moment have thus far been pretty "meh" but have been exclusive. They too won't be appearing for sale.

This is all very amusing I feel like I am in the playground watching the kids fight ;)

I personally am opposed to getting this Nico companion because we have too many already its just too much fluff since they all perform exactly the same its nothing but a re-skin and not worth getting your knickers in a twist over.

If someone uses that stupid "special snowflake" line again.....

We get it, you're jealous - just don't try and hide it behind a "funny comment".

As for appearing on cartel market - will never happen. Because if it does, the amount of people who will simply unsub during the "no new content" stages of the game will make quite a dent in things. By offering exclusive items they keep some people on a sub who would otherwise not bother.

The "staying subbed for the HK mission at the end of the current story" really doesn't count. I don't know one person who ever wanted the ability to "play as HK" and I think the percentage of people who are truly excited about it is pretty minimal.

The monthly awards at the moment have thus far been pretty "meh" but have been exclusive. They too won't be appearing for sale.

If people would unsub because they place a very uninspired companion on the CM than those people were going to unsub anyways. I find it laughable that people are so uptight about Nico smh

If people would unsub because they place a very uninspired companion on the CM than those people were going to unsub anyways. I find it laughable that people are so uptight about Nico smh

If Nico is so uninspired, then why are so many people who were not subbed at the proper time and are ineligible to receive him as a companion up in arms and asking BW to let them acquire him as a companion in some other way?

If Nico is so uninspired, then why are so many people who were not subbed at the proper time and are ineligible to receive him as a companion up in arms and asking BW to let them acquire him as a companion in some other way?

This topic proves the exact opposite, more people are threatening to quit and whining about the non possibility of Nico becoming available again.

Because they don't have him. It is one of those "You have this and I don't and I want it!" things.

He honestly isn't anything special.

Subs simply got something for "free" that was going to be available to everyone. You admit as much yourself. So, not an "exclusive" reward (which you also admit).

How many people do you "know" in the game? What do you base that second conclusion on?

Answers: very few and you just pulled it out of the air.

I was just pointing out some of the benefits of having him over the other Alliance and CM companions to show he isn't "worthless" but not exactly special either. I really don't care if he is made available to people who didn't subscribe or not. I have no dog in this fight.

Not worthless, that's for sure. Hardly unique though. I currently use him on my gunslinger because hey, a pair of gunslingers.

That not one person, out of those they know, looks forward to any of it has some statistical value.

I'm always highly suspicious when statistics are based on someone's circles of friends, because like-minded people tend to flock together. Also I wonder if they've actually conducted a survey? I'm looking forward to the HK-55 mission, but I don't go around blathering about it.

I'm always highly suspicious when statistics are based on someone's circles of friends, because like-minded people tend to flock together. Also I wonder if they've actually conducted a survey? I'm looking forward to the HK-55 mission, but I don't go around blathering about it.

I only just recently came back due to a newer more powerful laptop, I'm gutted I missed the HK-55 rewards, :rak_04: but Nico is definitely nothing special though I used him on my BH whilst doing class missions because I don't need to gear him and I was like wow Is this it , At least I have 51 to liquidate the undesirables but I'm gutted for no meat bag related dialogue in my life. I'm not going to spit my dummy out over it though, It's not EA's fault I missed it.

I thought everyone got him in KotFE and only people subbed back during the promotion got the holo-communicator to call him early. You're saying that he's only available to people subbed back then, period?

Wow, that's messed up. At least that explains why he looks like he was seriously made on the cheap.

I thought everyone got him in KotFE and only people subbed back during the promotion got the holo-communicator to call him early. You're saying that he's only available to people subbed back then, period?

Wow, that's messed up. At least that explains why he looks like he was seriously made on the cheap.

That is what has been said since the start by Eric Musco. Other people put out misinformation saying everyone gets him.

What part of 'exclusive' is hard to grasp?

What part of "That was a bad idea and a waste of story potential" is so hard to grasp? Are you that sad and desperate to hold onto something that somebody else doesn't have?

(And before anyone asks, because I know geniuses out there will, yes I have him. I'm not asking for something I don't have, I want to share it with people who don't).

Edited by ZanyaCross

see, when its something cosmetic that's time gated? fine. when its something that doesn't have unique functionality (like holohutt) - fine. but this is companion we are talking about. companion that was prominently featured in game trailer and comes (hopefully) with in game storyline attached.

Your whole argument there holds no water at all. It would if with the companion, you were also getting a story mission for the companion, that relayed story material. But you do not, basically you just get a companion that is a carbon copy of all your other companions, just with a different skin.

In regards to the whole argument in general, no I dont think that f2p should ever get these subscriber companions unless they were subbed for the time frame, or GOD FORBID just a subscriber in general.