How Do You Obtain VioP Support?

DomiSotto

What is the easiest and trouble free software to obtain as an individual to share it with other people? I tried reading the TS3 site, but despite saying that it is available for free as a server to a private user with restrictions, it was unclear how to get it, and all Canadian providers were by some reason in States, with one in Montreal???

What is the easiest and trouble free software to obtain as an individual to share it with other people? I tried reading the TS3 site, but despite saying that it is available for free as a server to a private user with restrictions, it was unclear how to get it, and all Canadian providers were by some reason in States, with one in Montreal???

The teamspeak server software is free for non-profit groups. You still need an internet server that runs it.

The easiest way to get TS3 is to join up with a guild or players that already have a TS3 server :) If you want your own sever just google for ts3 server, many companies offer a free trial period, but sooner or later you'll have to pay for it.

If you just want to chat with your friends while playing the game, skype might be the best solution, free and easy to install/maintain.

Edited by Mubrak

Most (if not all) of these VoIP system require both a "client" software that you run on your computer, and "server" software that acts as a host.

Some popular 'brands' are Ventrilo, Teamspeak and Mumble (plus at least one other). Naturally, both you and the people you want to talk to have to use the same brand.

I know that Ventrilo used to have a server program that individuals could use for free, but was limited to only 8 users, and, of course, required a 'server' to run on. In the case of Ventrilo it was possible to run both the server and the client on one computer. I haven't run a Ventrilo server for about 4 years, so I don't know what the current situation is as far as user-based servers is concerned for any of the current crop of programs.

These Voip programs require very little computer power to run, so you can use almost any old Pentium, Athlon, etc, computer as a server. I used to run a server from an old Athlon computer in my basement, but, of course, that takes some knowledge of IPs, etc, to get people to connect. :)

In most cases people simply pay a monthly charge to rent a voip server. One suggestion would be to try to join a guild that already has a voip server. BTW, the client software is usually free.

I have the Client software for vent and TS3. I am interested in purchasing or renting or whatever a server so I can set it up as an open access point for cross-guild content. I don't understand how you go about obtaining one. Edited by DomiSotto

I have the Client software for vent and TS3. I am interested in purchasing or renting or whatever a server so I can set it up as an open access point for cross-guild content. I don't understand how you go about obtaining one.

The easiest way is to open an account at a company like www.gameservers.com, pay them their fee for a teamspeak server with x slots (people that can log in at the same time) and leave all the pesky maintenance and internet-security stuff to them.

If you have the bandwidth and a static IP (i.e. your IP never changes) you can set up your own server of course. Without any experience, and on a normal windows, you should never ever run any internet services on the same computer where you store your mail, personal data, passwords, games etc. So fetch an old computer connect it to the internet, install the teamspeak server software and open only those ingoing ports/services in your firewall that are really required by the teamspeak server software.

Edited by Mubrak

I think rental is the way to go, thank you. I will try to see if I can find a Canadian provider at all without the currency conversion problems.

It can be good to rent a server and if you ask you can perhaps get some help with the funds from your friends you play with.

I rented a voice server and we took turns of paying the monthly rent, it worked perfectly (until the guild crashed because of players leaving the game) :tran_wink:

Edited by Icestar

Voice quality wise if you have a good host Skype offers the best (and is free) but is limited to 25 people and if you only use one call and decide to call it, everyone will be called (Which people can find annoying obviously)

After skype its TS3, Ventrilo, Mumble (in that order)

We don't talk about raidcall... dont ever talk about raidcall. OH SHI~

GameVox is completely free. It is a cross somewhere between TS3 and Mumble. Interface has elements of both TS3 and Mumble. Set-up/preferences are like Mumble. It Uses Overwolf for the DirectX overlay support like TS3.

There is a paid version that offers extra features; but the free version works great for most people.

Voice quality is great.