An optional level sync I could live with

IanArgent

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to over level and explore old content is a HUGE part of many MMO's, in fact, some devs encourage it. I think they will have a toggle, which is the way I want it. What is the point of leveling, if everything is still a challenge, even the stuff that you did when you were lower level. The whole idea doesn't fit with gaming theory even where by your character becomes more powerful if you really don't become more powerful??

In fact, many solo players experience group parts of the game by over leveling, and I can't believe they would just tell those people to "stick it, and please leave our game".

So toggle is the only way.

Toggle won't be happening. Sorry.

level scaling is not going to be optional. Sorry. It's a whole new game system that makes the entire galaxy relevant again, regardless of what level you are. If you choose to level somewhere you can and is good for the game..

We'll see what happens over the next 6 months. Reading the forums, at least, it looks like a lot of people are mad over this and other changes (crafting shuffle, generic companions, achievements removed, etc, etc).

There are evidently quite a few of us -- I make no claims about "majority", and neither can any side in this if they're being honest -- for whom levelsync does absolutely nothing good, and for whom it does not make any content any more or less relevant than it already is right now.

We know it hurts your sunshine to read that.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Wait, you think this is about people making "too many" credits "too quickly"?

So, we're right back to way too much concern over how other people play the game and get their enjoyment.

Cause this is an MMo and any action has consequences on others. Inflation means prices are highly out of control and vast disparity between those who can't afford and those who farm grows.

Why don't you just leave the game if your going to spout this selfish nonsense. But then again your already leaving so goodbye :)

Cause this is an MMo and any action has consequences on others. Inflation means prices are highly out of control and vast disparity between those who can't afford and those who farm grows.

Why don't you just leave the game if your going to spout this selfish nonsense. But then again your already leaving so goodbye :)

Amazing how Orwellian this has become -- people who don't care how others play or enjoy the game, and want options that make the game as enjoyable as possible for as many people as possible are supposedly "selfish"; while people who want to look over the shoulders of others and make sure they're enjoying the game "the right way" ( :rolleyes: ) and want Bioware to micromanage the player experience down to the credit and commendation are supposedly "open minded".

The prices are set by what people are willing to pay for them -- if you want prices to go down, you have to convince all the other players to not pay more for things than you think is "appropriate". Good luck with that.

Barring some sort of imposed price control coming down from Bioware (scaled GTN transaction fees, price caps based on a multiple of the vendor price, or whatever), there will always be "inflation". There will always be credits in the game, some players will always find the easiest way to farm them, and busy-bodies like you trying to play whack-a-mole and stamp out the boo-hoo-unfair credit sources are just spinning your wheels.

Oh for pete's sake, now it's sunk to "but playing unsynced would be an exploit!" :confused:

Why on earth should I care one bit about how other people get their gear, or get their "alliance", or get their credits?

Am I really supposed to be outraged over some sort of unfairness, or jealous, or something?

Because there is a (mostly) functional MMO economy, game conditions that affect the credits/minute gather rate affect everyone via inflation. I'm not saying that Black Hole granting far more credits/minute than designed is unfair (I've said the exact opposite), but the devs think it is unbalancing. Except for basically 2 corner cases, this is not about fairness, it's about game balance. The two are often synonymous, but not always. In particular, it's important to note that a major credit sink (training costs) was removed from the game a while back, without any particular change in the credit fountains. And because the level cap went up, the credit/minute of play of the old endgame zones went up. One "solution" would have been to up the payout of Yavin and Ziost (and, from what I read, they actually did up the payout of Yavin shortly after release). And because escrow caps exist, there's a development incentive to keep inflation to nearly nil.

One of the things that the Cartel Market provides in an (inefficient) method of converting cartel coins to credits by selling account unlocks bought by subs who have more money than time to F2P/preferred players who have more time than money. I think it would be better for the economy to just allow people to auction CCs on the GTN (this is what the other MMO I played did - there was an in-game auction house for that game's premium currency, and prices were set by demand). Credit inflation damages this sub-economy, by making each cartel coin relatively more valuable vs credits.

Amazing how Orwellian this has become -- people who don't care how others play or enjoy the game, and want options that make the game as enjoyable as possible for as many people as possible are supposedly "selfish"; while people who want to look over the shoulders of others and make sure they're enjoying the game "the right way" ( :rolleyes: ) and want Bioware to micromanage the player experience down to the credit and commendation are supposedly "open minded".

The prices are set by what people are willing to pay for them -- if you want prices to go down, you have to convince all the other players to not pay more for things than you think is "appropriate". Good luck with that.

Barring some sort of imposed price control coming down from Bioware (scaled GTN transaction fees, price caps based on a multiple of the vendor price, or whatever), there will always be "inflation". There will always be credits in the game, some players will always find the easiest way to farm them, and busy-bodies like you trying to play whack-a-mole and stamp out the boo-hoo-unfair credit sources are just spinning your wheels.

I expected as much. Unfortunately BW agrees with me so no soup for you :)

We'll see what happens over the next 6 months. Reading the forums, at least, it looks like a lot of people are mad over this and other changes (crafting shuffle, generic companions, achievements removed, etc, etc).

There are evidently quite a few of us -- I make no claims about "majority", and neither can any side in this if they're being honest -- for whom levelsync does absolutely nothing good, and for whom it does not make any content any more or less relevant than it already is right now.

We know it hurts your sunshine to read that.

I don't understand why you have to call people names and antagonize people who support the level scaling system. It's obvious you don't like it or support it. Just leave it at that then.

I don't understand why you have to call people names and antagonize people who support the level scaling system. It's obvious you don't like it or support it. Just leave it at that then.

I don't even know where to start with the irony of that post.

Perhaps you should tell a good number of your fellow pro-mandatory "friends" to pull the log out of their eyes, before you start making snarky comments about the spec in the eye of those just looking for the option instead...

Edited by Max_Killjoy

So because he is fighting what is clearly a futile corner, he should just hush and be quiet?

Interesting concept.

I don't see why. I RP regularly and have no issue with it.

Because they have developed a playstyle that a) involves engaging mobs at their discretion only, abd b) that really doesn't impact anyone else's play.

Support for that RP playstyle is why I started this thread.

In 3.0 I was in guilds who literally had gear inspection lineups to decide who got to raid that day. Needless to say, the non-exploiters were typically not able to get in and got further and further behind until Ziost came around and gear became plentiful again. But by then, the raiding guilds were largely dying out again from boredom.

I pin the reason for the boredom on everyone who exploited. The gear was obtained too easily and too quickly and therefore they were done with the content too early.

In 3.0 I was in guilds who literally had gear inspection lineups to decide who got to raid that day. Needless to say, the non-exploiters were typically not able to get in and got further and further behind until Ziost came around and gear became plentiful again. But by then, the raiding guilds were largely dying out again from boredom.

I pin the reason for the boredom on everyone who exploited. The gear was obtained too easily and too quickly and therefore they were done with the content too early.

Really?

Because that didn't seem to happen on my server at all, from what I've heard.

That is why I am loving how MMOs are leaning away from raid or die focus of end game. Sure raids are becoming part of it, but now they are focus on other things..or many paths to gain power. Raids is just one of them.

MMOS are changing for the better. (to me.)

That is why I am loving how MMOs are leaning away from raid or die focus of end game. Sure raids are becoming part of it, but now they are focus on other things..or many paths to gain power. Raids is just one of them.

MMOS are changing for the better. (to me.)

My personal wish (and not really touched on) is that they allow solo access to the Ops that have important story content in them (the Dread Masters Ops, basically), along the lines of how they did the Op at the end of Yavin IV - IE, you get the story, but no ops rewards. I mean, Oricon tells you "the next part of the story is in Dread Fortress," but since I'm not in a raiding guild and, quite frankly, I'm not up to speed to raid as anything but a DPS, so pugging it is unlikely, I'm not going to see that story content. I don't need (or want) the boss drops; but I want to play through that the way I played through Yavin's end "op," or the solo mode flashpoints.

My personal wish (and not really touched on) is that they allow solo access to the Ops that have important story content in them (the Dread Masters Ops, basically), along the lines of how they did the Op at the end of Yavin IV - IE, you get the story, but no ops rewards. I mean, Oricon tells you "the next part of the story is in Dread Fortress," but since I'm not in a raiding guild and, quite frankly, I'm not up to speed to raid as anything but a DPS, so pugging it is unlikely, I'm not going to see that story content. I don't need (or want) the boss drops; but I want to play through that the way I played through Yavin's end "op," or the solo mode flashpoints.

I would support that whole-heartedly. I found it frustrating that I could not access that because my PC is not raid worthy (DPS drops). If that were to be avoided in future "end content" I may come to like level synch after all.

His name is max killjoy after all...

One time I wanted to call him a buzzkill but then I saw his name. There was no need.

His name is max killjoy after all...

One time I wanted to call him a buzzkill but then I saw his name. There was no need.

You're picking the guy who's mostly making valid points to attack? C'mon

Edited by IanArgent

I don't even know where to start with the irony of that post.

Perhaps you should tell a good number of your fellow pro-mandatory "friends" to pull the log out of their eyes, before you start making snarky comments about the spec in the eye of those just looking for the option instead...

Thank you for proving exactly what I am talking about.

Yes he does. I don't think he even plays the game. Just trolls the forums Any ANY change positive to the game and that's good for the game he is completely against. Anything anybody likes at all, he is against. Anything that anybody supports, he is against.

$15 a month is an awful lot of money to spend simply for the privilege of trolling a game's forum. This isn't like most game forums where the ragequitters can remain and rail against change.

$15 a month is an awful lot of money to spend simply for the privilege of trolling a game's forum. This isn't like most game forums where the ragequitters can remain and rail against change.

Then if he plays, he is torturing himself based on what he posts. ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.