Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Vaylin outfit: Will previous hood outfits and robes be redesigned to display hair?

Bonzenaattori

I'm gonna keep this short because, I want to.

Noticing Vaylin's rather... ...interesting attire design, I couldn't help but ponder if this is something Bioware and the devs would care enough to notice or think about.

Vaylin's robe, shows her long hair, despite the hood, and as we're all currently aware of, the current hooded/robe designs are lazy and arbitrarily show your character with no hair (bald headed if you play with the camera).

It begs the question: Can we hope for a redesign on PREVIOUS hood/robes to display hairstyles (perhaps even cue for new hairstyles in 4.0) whilst wearing the hood?

Abstract: Vaylin Robe & Hair example

Abstract: Current Robe & Absent Hair example

Thoughts?

Edited by Bonzenaattori

Vaylin's robe, shows her long hair, despite the hood, and as we're all currently aware of, the current hooded/robe designs are lazy and arbitrarily show your character with no hair (bald headed if you play with the camera).

It begs the question: Can we hope for a redesign on PREVIOUS hood/robes to display hairstyles (perhaps even cue for new hairstyles in 4.0) whilst wearing the hood?

Have you played Black Talon? ;) Do you remember Captain Orzik? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Revinal_Orzik

He has hair under the cap. Both Vaylin and Orzik are NPCs with their specific models having hair under the hood/cap. Players won't be getting hair under hoods in 4.0

Edited by PavSalco

Doubtful. They would need to create a separate version of each hair style that goes under a hood so that it doesn't look bad. Or at least a selection of ones for under the hood that it would default to. But even if they did that, it wouldn't necessarily work for every hood style since they don't all have the same dimensions. So they'd have to do this many times to ensure they work with every one of the hood styles.

That's a lot of work just to show a bit of hair under your hood. Hoods that mostly cover your head anyway. There's a reason that many games I've played with hoods just make your character bald.

That said, if they were able to at least put some hair there it'd be a nice improvement. I don't use hooded robes very often because of this, I don't like that it makes my characters bald. Maybe they could do something like as long as you had some kind of hair (not bald) it would default to a cropped cut that would fit under most things, just to give your character some hair while wearing hoods/hats.

There's a big difference between static NPC appearance and what can be done with player characters.

Unless they drastically re-do player models (don't hold your breath), the best you will EVER see is a hat or hood that includes hair rather than displaying yours under it.

Now, that being said, it would be cool if they gave us such a hat with sort of generic hair on it that dyed the color of the hair the same color as our character's hair.

Old ones very doubtful, new one maybe. A fair talking point but if you are expecting an answer to this, there is not one yet.

It has nothing to do with old or new hoods or hats, it has to do with character hair. Unless they made a hat and/or a hood that had some kind of generic hair built into it. But people would hoot about that just as much.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.