Tanks KOTFE: No more abso mods or shield/abso enhancements?

AutoCocker

Was reading the new gearing info on the site and noticed this.

"Lastly, we have rearranged how we distribute ratings on items. Now, Power and defense share the first rating slot on modifications, while the rest of the stats (Accuracy, Alacrity, Critical, Absorb, and Shield) will share the second rating slot."

Gotta say not to happy about this at all. Basically no matter what tank class you are you have to stack defense and that's about it. Only way to get more absorption is to drop shield. One of the things I loved about my tank was tweaking him to get the max mitigation possible for raids etc. Now it seems they just said to hell with it, dumbed tank gearing down and just did a blanket stat pool for all of them. Maybe I am reading it wrong but that's sure what it sounds like to me.

Edited by AutoCocker

I'd love to see some of the better theory crafters think this will do tank balance and stat optimization, but basically shield and defense switched places on enhancements. I get there are some encounters this will really help with, as I know that KBN in his Ideal tank stats thread had to use a minimum shield value in his formulas to account for the reality that stat budgets available in game include at least some shield. There are also going to be situations where it may reduce the obtainable DtPS. I don't have enough background in the way the stats work to be able to predict how each class and/or boss will be impacted. Edited by Lowarro

assuming present equations, using rough average of 10 bosses. 4003 stat pool, no b mods.

d is defense rating, s is shield rating, a is absorb rating, assuming defense rating is between 2075 to 2939. base is squish (coefficenet of incoming damage that equates to damage taken, hence incoming_dps*squish - heals =damage_taken), D is squish while using defense relic, A is squish while using absorb relic, and S is squish while using shield+absorb relic. relic row specifies best relic combination, where W is warding relic. =ward tells you the premitigation incoming-damage required to make the second best relic better than the warding relic, and sigma is a measure of the weighted variance of incoming damage. m/r is melee ranged, k/e is kinetic/energy, f/t is force tech, i/e is internal/elemental for damage and attack types. 3 and 4 denote the gear assumptions, where 3 if for 3.x and 4 is for 4.0. more details here http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=802955. im prolly missing fortitude stim defence in the defense rating minimum, but these numbers should be close.

copy table and paste into notepad/excel for better format.

m/r k/e 0.56607

m/r i/e 0

f/t k/e 0.22364

f/t i/e 0.21029

shadow shadow jugg jugg PT PT

3 4 3 4 3 4

d 239 2075 1434 2075 509 2075

s 1872 997 1272 933 1928 1117

a 1892 931 1297 995 1566 811

base 0.33549 0.34454 0.33794 0.33914 0.33122 0.33920

D 0.33137 0.34244 0.33512 0.33694 0.32802 0.33742

A 0.33187 0.34023 0.33513 0.33630 0.32803 0.33569

S 0.33178 0.34039 0.33494 0.33607 0.32782 0.33543

relic WD WA WS WS WS WS

=ward 10392 9294 13642 13617 12047 10982

sigma 0.26091 0.27135 0.25656 0.25979 0.26627 0.26754

so, PTs and shadows take 2-3% more damage, juggs take 0.3-0.5% more damage.

the variance of incoming damage (my model of spikeiness) will increase 4% for shadows, 1.2% for juggs and 0.5% for PTs

Edited by dipstik

so, PTs and shadows take 2-3% more damage, juggs take 0.3-0.5% more damage.

the variance of incoming damage (my model of spikeiness) will increase 4% for shadows, 1.2% for juggs and 0.5% for PTs

Even without fancy math "defense in your throat" will result in increase of spikiness, just because of nature of the stat. And spikiness is always bad thing. Also, do not forget about undodgeable attacks some bosses have.

My tankasin at high gear levels is following "D<<S<=A" formula (actually http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=804989), so that change is worst possible thing.

Edited by Jianka
Forgot line

I still think Shield / Absorb should be combined into one stat just like Crit / Surge.

The problem with that option is that there would be no possible variations of tanking gear. Removing absorb rating and merging it into Shield(while keeping Defense the secondary stat for tanks) would leave the only possibility of tanks choosing Defense mods and Defense/Shield enhancements. I personally think they should just leave it how we have it on Live or have it so that Shield is our secondary stat instead of Defense, and that way we not only aren't wasting points in Defense, but can still balance out absorb and defense rating in enhancements/implants/ear at least.

Edited by OMGITSJAD

I thought of something. Could it be possible that they reworked how defense works? So that it affects all attacks and not only M/R?

That... actually kind of makes sense with what they said about raising accuracy for Ranged/Melee attacks.

Base weapon accuracy has been increased from 90% to 100%. All non-basic attacks already had 100% Accuracy, so this change brings basic attacks up to par.

This could just mean that only player accuracy was adjusted, but if boss accuracy was changed as well the effect on tanking DCDs would be massive.

For instance, currently Assassins/Shadows have one utility that is only good for Force/Tech damage (Force Shroud which completely resists Force/Tech for the duration) and one that is only good for melee/ranged damage (Deflection, which raises defense chance by a percentage). If defense rating also affects Force/Tech then Deflection becomes a much better general purpose DCD and Assassins could wind up with a potentially massive survivability boost as a result.

Personally, I'd like to think BioWare wouldn't leave something like this out of the combat changes blog. Because that would be really dumb on their part.

That... actually kind of makes sense with what they said about raising accuracy for Ranged/Melee attacks.

This change is only for basic attacks, like Hammershot. Previously they had a base accuracy of 90% while all other M/R attacks had 100%, like F/T. You'll still need 110% accuracy in order to hit an operation boss ;)

Personally, I'd like to think BioWare wouldn't leave something like this out of the combat changes blog. Because that would be really dumb on their part.

To be honest, they did things way more stupid than this ;)