The Least Painful Way to Clear the "Intro" Quest

DomiSotto

Oh, that's what I am doing, flying around and trying to get to the places I want to go in a non-random luck way, but I thought it was funny that pop-ups had nothing to do with the GSF. I was wondering if I missed setting something up or I am a proud owner of a weird bug. Edited by DomiSotto

Well, seeing there was no pop on the Republic side, I did what we Pubs always do. I gloriously and carefully folded my blue banner away, re-logged on my Imperial toon of no significance and went on to do the Weekly under the Empire's auspices.

I don't self-destruct any more, memorize the names of the guys of my size (with 2-3 ships), avoid the guys with more than that like a plague, and spend most of my time trying to get to the objectives and back from the respawn (usually about 4 death per game). I shoot mines, and the ships of the Guys-Like-Me. So far I managed to score one more kill, and 1-4 assists per game, and managed to earn one medal.

I did pick up the Quarel/Mangle, but I am not sure how secondary weapon on it works. When I tried to activate the secondary weapons, the scope appears, and my target just moves out of my field of vision. So, I went back to the Scout that is more straightforward.

I have replaced all the components on both the Blackbolt and the Mangler with the recommended ones, so will try tomorrow to see if I at least can keep up with the other ships.

Edited by DomiSotto

I did pick up the Quarel/Mangle, but I am not sure how secondary weapon on it works. When I tried to activate the secondary weapons, the scope appears, and my target just moves out of my field of vision. So, I went back to the Scout that is more straightforward.

Right click: activate/deactivate scope mode

Left click + hold (while in scope mode): charge railgun. Stop holding to shoot.

While in scope mode you can move your mouse to turn the ship and use your mouse wheel to zoom in/out. I recommend to zoom to 0%, because it doesn't matter how big a target in your scope appears. With 0% zoom it's easier to track targets and easier to see what's going on around you.

You can also leave scope mode by moving, boosting, using a maneuver. Activating a shield or copilot ability will not end scope mode.

Railguns continuously draw weapons energy while charging, even if fully charged. If weapons energy reaches 0, the shot will fire.

If you don't have charged the railgun to at least 20% (correct me if that number is wrong) the shot will not fire.

You can enter scope mode to make a full stop, no matter ho fast you are.

You can switch between two different railguns by pressing 1.

You can strafe while in scope mode.

Just think sniper rifle in an fps which requires you to charge your shots. Zoom out with the mouse wheel to enlarge your field of vision to make it easier to track targets.

Well, the low number of death is related to being too far out rather than anything else as I so far have troubles reaching the battlefield as fast as the other ships, even when boosting and all power to the engines. And I run away a lot as soon as warnings start beeping/flashing.

Thank you for the detailed description of the gunship's weapons! I think I will try the Mangle again keeping it in mind.

I have never played FPS, basically this is the only game I have played save for the Baldur's Gate-NWN2 games in the past, so unfortunately I can't go by analogy.

Edited by DomiSotto

Don't waste all your engine energy to get to the battle, you'll need some of it during the fight. An empty eninge bar makes you an easy target, so just empty it if you absolutely have to. For example a satellite is under attack and you want to be there fast enough to block it. Boosting has a high initial cost, so try to avoid boosting in bursts.

However did you know about them bursts!? Got it, thank you, it will help.

That was my 9/20 points just to keep the count straight (2 intros on 2 characters, plus a 7 points for the Weekly on the Imp).

Edited by DomiSotto

It did help a big deal with locomotion. :) I feel a bit less of a 'Wait for me! Wait for me!"

So, 13/20 for me.

Despite switching the components on the Blackbolt, I had 3 zones in a row that folks are complaining about - basically shot out of the sky before doing much damage - and the 4th one was an inverse, where my team facerolled, so I got to double my heroic kill count from one (1) to two (2).

I think my strategy of picking guys with 1 or 2 ships did not quite work out, as they actually might have one really good ship. I guess there is a way to delete the ships from the Hangar, or the Preferred folks can buy a ship with CCs? Ah, well, it is still a good rule of thumb.

Did not have time to try out the Gunship, will do it later.

Edited by DomiSotto

Ship count is not a good indicator of how strong a team will be. Everyone can have 4 ships on his bar with just one game played. Also, a bad pilot doesn't necessarily look different than an ace. It's more important which ships they have on their bar.

Personally I remember the "high threat" pilots by name, but that won't help you much, as there are probably too many pilots you'll need to remember as a new pilot.

It's not possible to make an always-working rule of thumb who's dangerous and who isn't because the ships they use or how many they have aren't an indicator of their skill. However, here are some tips, which might help you to choose a target.

People with only the two (three) starter ships on their bars are very likely to be new pilots. Veterans usually don't fly more than one game in that setup.

As a Scout, good targets are:

• Strikes - no burst damage, slow, might take a while to kill if you have trouble hitting them.
  • Lone Gunships - good pilots are a threat in T1/3 Gunships (even at "melee" range), bad pilots are easy targets, don't approach from the front.
  • Lone Bombers without deployables around them - be careful, they will try to drop things on you or lure you into a minefield. Bad Bomber pilots often waste their engine energy trying to get to a satellite and are easy targets for the last 15km to their destination.

As a Gunship, good targets are:

• Strikes - use Ion Rail first, finish with Slug Rail.
  • Bombers - same as Strikes.
  • Gunships - same as above, but you need to hit them first with two Ion Rail shots. Run if another Gunship surprises you.
  • Basically everything thats far enough away that it can't hit back instantly. Use TAB to target the closest enemy and move just as far as necessary to be able to hit it.

As a Bomber, good targets are:

• Satellites - get close to them, fly evasive, drop mines. Try to survive as long as possible and wear the enemy down.

Keep in mind that those "targeting algorithms" may not work perfectly for you because they're based on my experiences after a lot of games. Also don't get tunnel vision on a target - run and/or hide if necessary.

Edited by Danalon

Danalon, thank you very much! I think I will stick to the Scout (but purchase the 2 other ships I am missing to pile up the requisitions on them) and try to L2select targets that I can manage. Memorizing the names is not that hard. Ain’t that many folks playing on the Binger when I play. (Shrug) Chances are I have a purple cog against my name by now.

Another noob question – does the Interface Editor allow moving what Dulfy terms “Target Window” and says is in the ‘bottom right’ corner?

Another noob question – does the Interface Editor allow moving what Dulfy terms “Target Window” and says is in the ‘bottom right’ corner?

Usually you can move around anything via interface editor. Didn't use it for a while but I think there's a GSF subsection.

I think it makes life easier if you have your whole interface centered in one point (for me, right beneath my ship), but it's certainly not a necessity. Like Danalon said, you can edit it via interface editor, under the GSF subsection.

Hi folks. Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for patiently answering my questions. I got my 20 points in playing GSF. I've posted my impressions in the Love fof GSF thread, for the sake of the bump fwiw. Edited by DomiSotto