Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Looking for advice from experienced duelists

Iserahn

scenario: 1v1 tournament, no time limit, all decent pvp specs expected in about equal numbers for a player decent with mara who is equally skilled in all 3 specs, all players are full pvp geared, usage of all pvp consumables + anodyne stim is allowed and ofc no companions

what's your spec of choice, against which specs does each excel and against which it's vurnerable?

thanks in advance to anyone who wants to share his experience!

Fury: This should be the only spec you ever do ANY PvP with. Your burst damage is through the roof, and you have 6s of CC immunity after every other Force Crush, if a duel lasts long enough for 3 Force Crushes... If you have Full Dark Reaver and it's fully augged (Power Augments only Strength is useless because you have tons of Auto Crits) You should wreck house, BUT you can also be a red stain on the ground if you don't cooldown cycle properly.

Carnage: 2nd best choice, but without the 6s CC immunity, you are pretty much left in the dust.

Anni: Don't even think of dueling with Anni... Just don't...

your opinion is noted, but can you help me understand why anni sucks so hard?

i've been gone for years so my experience is totally outdated, but from what i see

anni is about as mobile as carnage (slightly better charge) and probably just as durable

while being kited anni does some damage due to dots

how fast can you really kill someone 1v1 with all those defensives cds most classes have? shouldn't anni's superb sustainable start showing up after the first few seconds

and lastly trying to be a bit of the 'devil's advocate' shouldn't CC immunity matter only against specific classes (the ones heavy in cc)?

honestly i am not trying to debate here, as i told you i haven't done any real pvp for ages and i haven't even used force rend yet... just trying to understand what's wrong with anni so i can leave it and move on to the specs with real pvp potential (i'm not really the guy who can jsut do what he's told without a reason)

thanks in advance!

Fury: This should be the only spec you ever do ANY PvP with. Your burst damage is through the roof, and you have 6s of CC immunity after every other Force Crush, if a duel lasts long enough for 3 Force Crushes... If you have Full Dark Reaver and it's fully augged (Power Augments only Strength is useless because you have tons of Auto Crits) You should wreck house, BUT you can also be a red stain on the ground if you don't cooldown cycle properly.

Carnage: 2nd best choice, but without the 6s CC immunity, you are pretty much left in the dust.

I am honestly wanting to know the same thing, I run Constraion and I dueled a Shadow got 3 hit. I have no idea how to defend against that, and I play shadow!

Please tell me what server you're on because I'd love to duel you on my Anni Mara just to give you a good dose of truth. I've yet to meet a carnage and/or fury mara that could successfully solo my anni mara (decisively) and I've dueled some great players of those specs, I also play across 3 US servers. Every actually good pvp sent/mara (the ones that stay away from the forums) KNOW that if you're going to duel, you go Watchmen/Annihilation. I'm not willing to go back and forth with you about it here because I can show you better than I can tell you. I'm willing to use 90 CCs to transfer to your server, to deliver truth to you about what Anni can do in it's "Gimped" state. Just tell me the server name and your character name.

Edited by RayGonJinn

For 1v1 anni/watchman will serve you the best, it lacks the burst of carnage/combat or the cc immunity of fury, but anni has equal to carnage dps roughly over longer times and can self heal via dot crits which is no small thing once you stack them an use zen/bloodthirst.

I have played all 3 specs a lot and whilst i do not enjoy anni/watchman much in pvp, it really does shine in 1v1

For 1v1 anni/watchman will serve you the best, it lacks the burst of carnage/combat or the cc immunity of fury, but anni has equal to carnage dps roughly over longer times and can self heal via dot crits which is no small thing once you stack them an use zen/bloodthirst.

I have played all 3 specs a lot and whilst i do not enjoy anni/watchman much in pvp, it really does shine in 1v1

So I will once again have to learn multiple specs to be able to play the way I want to blah....

I dont play annihilation- but in theory- if your opponent cannot cleanse dots, then a dot spec should win in an unlimited time enviroment because people will eventually run out of cooldowns. Especially when those dots can also heal back lost health.

But since I dont play annihilation (and know nothing about the class varient), i cant provide an accurate answer... All i can do is assume.

I personally would think a endurance/crit spec annhilation sent would have an edge over the other 2 specs.

My first night of trying out Youtube's new streaming platform I had a duel with a carnage mara on Begeren Colony server, who I concider decent, he's definately above most of the sent/maras in PvP on that server and performs at a high level. We end up dueling eachother very often in WZs. Results of 1v1s in WZs is often unreliable because you can run into a player who has all of their DCD's on CD, meaning they don't have their entire arsenal for a fair 1v1. In https://youtu.be/LvTk6ABzhM8?t=1h14m we dueled eachother but luckily we both had our entire arsenal ready when we needed it and the outcome once again proved to me that Watchmen/Anni is the dueling spec for sent/maras. Edited by RayGonJinn

Please tell me what server you're on because I'd love to duel you on my Anni Mara just to give you a good dose of truth. I've yet to meet a carnage and/or fury mara that could successfully solo my anni mara (decisively) and I've dueled some great players of those specs, I also play across 3 US servers. Every actually good pvp sent/mara (the ones that stay away from the forums) KNOW that if you're going to duel, you go Watchmen/Annihilation. I'm not willing to go back and forth with you about it here because I can show you better than I can tell you. I'm willing to use 90 CCs to transfer to your server, to deliver truth to you about what Anni can do in it's "Gimped" state. Just tell me the server name and your character name.

Found your video going to watch and enjoy

Edited by lordnathanial
Misread

Harbinger. Mant'ax. Watchman does not have enough burst to kill. Sure, it can stay alive for pretty much ever, but Sent vs Sent, Fury/Concentration and even Carnage/Combat has more kill potential.

Harbinger. Mant'ax. Watchman does not have enough burst to kill. Sure, it can stay alive for pretty much ever, but Sent vs Sent, Fury/Concentration and even Carnage/Combat has more kill potential.

This is not good information, I base that on the experience of elite maras and sents (not myself) that have laid out their case and in some cases even provided videos and I can see pretty clearly that in 1v1 annihilation/watchman wins.

We only have two specs that are even capable for dueling tbh, Anni and Fury. Anni is good against non Juggernaut tank specs, and that is all I can recommend using it for. Every burst or even burst-y spec in the game played well can kill you first otherwise. Every other match up is better as Fury, and against ranged there is no contest, pretty much have to use Fury.

Carnage's entire damage coming in Gore windows means in a duel environment when the other player has all CDs you will be dead before they run out of options to stop your burst. More specifically, this is the absolute worst spec to use against competent players in duels, and far and away the worst to use in Mara/Sent mirror duels.

I haven't really dueled that much since I came back recently, but from launch til 2.4 when I quit for a while there was only one Mara/Sent I'd found that could beat me with any sort of consistency, and outside of him I only lost to very good Assassins (or Ops, depending if sap/seethe was agreed upon). I have always used Fury/Rage for duels all the way back to the day they nerfed Anni's heals.

I think I'd lean more towards Concentration, particularly in a sent v sent setting.

Pacify will stop Watchman from applying it's dots, and when overload sabers is applied - camo will halve the damage. Leg Slash will reduce self heals. Stasis can be saved for master strike or GbtF.

Combat suffers basically the same. Pacify will neuter blade rush and ataru form, stasis, awe and camo will negate Precision.

Most of Concentrations attacks are Force-based, so Pacify does squat. CC immunity for 6 seconds every 30 seconds, no real 'burst' window to be countered with cc/camo.

That said, against other classes I'd go with either Watchman or Concentration (depending on which you prefer)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.