The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is Boba Fett the only competent Bounty Hunter in SW?

Reeny

Cause he looked cool in the movies, literally it. Which then prompted him to get all this material and so forth which heightened his popularity, then the inclusion of Jango just made it moreso.

But literally it was just how he looked in the movies, which prompted such things.

Personally I don't really go that far, I mean yeah he looked cool but that didn't make me a hardcore fan and wanting more...he just looked cool.

Agreed on it being his look, but with Han knowing him as well, it seems to play up his skills.

Though one could say Smuggler Luck > Hunter Skill :)

Any other decent bounty hunters in sequel/prequel who are competent?

who ever said Boba Fett was competent? I mean if you look at his screen time, he stands around with a gun, he might have tracked the millennium falcon to bespin but really darth vader caught the people. He transported han solo to jaba the hutt based on vaders capture to only then let him be unfrozen, and then was knocked off a rail on the barge into the sarlack pit. He didn't really do an awful lot I consider successful.

who ever said Boba Fett was competent? I mean if you look at his screen time, he stands around with a gun, he might have tracked the millennium falcon to bespin but really darth vader caught the people. He transported han solo to jaba the hutt based on vaders capture to only then let him be unfrozen, and then was knocked off a rail on the barge into the sarlack pit. He didn't really do an awful lot I consider successful.

When people talk about Boba Fett being successful they're including his EU Material.

When people talk about Boba Fett being successful they're including his EU Material.

But Boba Fett was extremely popular and considered a bad *** long before the EU was ever created. He was considered a bad *** when his mail in figure was created before anyone even knew who he was unless you saw a short cartoon on the Christmas special. Besides most of his EU stuff was only written because there was already some insane demand for a character that had such little screen time and such unimpressive results to his actions, so I could even argue why the hell would anyone bother to read any of the EU stuff centering on boba fett with the examples of the characters abilities being so lack luster in the movies to begin with. He really was no more a bad *** then an ugnaut or a jawa really. He just had a cool helmet.

ok I'll bite, what has boba fett actually ACHOMPLISHED that marks him out as awesome?

and contrast that with what Cad Bane has achomplished.

Bane has, ON SCREEN, fought Jedi multiple times, (including breaking into their temple) and captured numerous bounties on screen.

If we judge purely on Disney Canon, Cad Bane actually seems to have a better record then Fett

Agreed

I always loved Boba Fett, but he really did nothing in the movies. The prequels turned him into a stormtrooper basically.

The clone wars helped and they are Canon but that means Cad Bane and Ventress are canon and they were awesome: Ventress really grew on me and I love how she went all antihero Bounty hunter toward the end.

Pretty much Jango was a patsy used to create clones, was tracked to his home by ObiWan,'and after losing that fight, he was tracked to the badguys base on genosis and got decapitated, and boba got knocked into the Sarlacc accidentally and screamed like a girl.

Edited by kirorx

Tbh now thinking about it, Jango wasn't too much impressive either. He was a step above Boba to be sure fighting wise, but he was still duped and killed with rather no effort.

I love how basing Boba and Jango to be terrible because of how the movies played out (though they're supposed to be awesome and feared) is being tossed around here, but in another thread where it's been shown the movies/game make the empire to be nothing but evil and the bad guys people try to defend it the other way around "Well...the movies can only show so much..." :p

I love how basing Boba and Jango to be terrible because of how the movies played out (though they're supposed to be awesome and feared) is being tossed around here, but in another thread where it's been shown the movies/game make the empire to be nothing but evil and the bad guys people try to defend it the other way around "Well...the movies can only show so much..." :p

Except the Empire is evil/bad from the movie POV? Soo.....? Also which thread? From the movie perspective yeah, the Empire is pretty ruthless/evil.

Boba/Jango aren't terrible....well ok just by movies, yes Boba is pretty ****, Jango is good though he just wasn't like OMG impressive, because there were circumstances surrounding his one good showing.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Except the Empire is evil/bad from the movie POV? Soo.....? Also which thread? From the movie perspective yeah, the Empire is pretty ruthless/evil.

Boba/Jango aren't terrible....well ok just by movies, yes Boba is pretty ****, Jango is good though he just wasn't like OMG impressive, because there were circumstances surrounding his one good showing.

Even so with the circumstances I'd say it's pretty safe to assume everyone below Obi Wan's level would have serious difficulty against Jango. Given how low the average life expectancy is for someone going against a Jedi Knight level opponent I think his showing against Obi Wan is more than enough to put him above "Okay."

Even so with the circumstances I'd say it's pretty safe to assume everyone below Obi Wan's level would have serious difficulty against Jango. Given how low the average life expectancy is for someone going against a Jedi Knight level opponent I think his showing against Obi Wan is more than enough to put him above "Okay."

Eh looking at it, Obi-Wan didn't have too much a hard time with Jango and he was only wanting to capture Jango not kill him. Jango's best attack with the missile, knocked him off his feet, Boba then came in with Slave 1 cannons. Then it went to H2H with Jango getting kicked upside the head and getting in one good headbutt. Obi-Wan went for his saber, Jango tied him up and started dragging him before losing his jetpack and then kicked off the platform.

It's still a decent showing for Jango and his arsenal utilization.

Still though can agree movie Jango > movie Boba by like...a lot, in fact out of all the blaster users(except for the Battle Droids), Boba was the worst of them.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Most of Boba's and for that matter Jango's feats as a bounty hunter happen off screen, with hunters like Cad Bane we actually see some of his accomplishments only because of the clone wars cartoon.

So without reading all the EU material relating to all bounty hunters its not a "fair" comparison (I will admit I don't know enough of their EU backgrounds) but there must have been a reason as to why Jango Fett was considered good enough to be the template for the clone army.

Most of Boba's and for that matter Jango's feats as a bounty hunter happen off screen, with hunters like Cad Bane we actually see some of his accomplishments only because of the clone wars cartoon.

So without reading all the EU material relating to all bounty hunters its not a "fair" comparison (I will admit I don't know enough of their EU backgrounds) but there must have been a reason as to why Jango Fett was considered good enough to be the template for the clone army.

From the movies alone? No there wasn't really much a reason, other than Jango being hired for the template. Although if you base off his limited showings, there is a little reason as he was able to fend off Obi-Wan and escape and kill Coleman.

But still that's not exactly translating to the Clone Troopers own fighting ability, because they just simply died and showed nothing special in the movies other than overwhelming firepower.

Now in the EU Legends, Jango was chosen because he was as described by Dooku "the perfect soldier in every way" and was able to kill Dark Jedi Komari Vosa who had previously killed 20 Mandalorians and was formerly trained by Count Dooku.

Among other things prior to being chosen.

But it still doesn't really translate to the Clones own fighting ability which are of a completely different skillset and weaponry.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi