The path for new classes.

Tune

Hey folks,

I have seen a few questions around how the “Start at Level 60” will work that comes with Fallen Empire. I want to start by saying that we will be releasing a blog when we get a bit closer to launch that describes all of the nitty gritty details and walks you through everything. But for now I wanted to cover a bit about how it works and address some of the things I have been seeing.

As a subscriber, when you get Fallen Empire you will receive one free level 60 character. This character must be a new character, you cannot “boost” an existing character up to 60. Beyond that first one which is included free with KOTFE, you can purchase additional level 60 characters through the Cartel Market at any time. I know that this raised the question of character limits as well. In talking with the development team, the plan is to increase the subscriber maximum character limit per server by 2 for the Fallen Empire launch. Not confirmation it will happen, but it is definitely their goal!

I know you still have many questions, such as how this impacts Class story, etc. We will be revealing all of these details down the line as we get closer to launch.

Thanks!

-eric

So, what if, when deciding what class you want to get instant to lvl60, you would be presented with 2 aditional options, the Imperial Trooper and the SiS Agent?

And if this would be the only way to play those new classes, with no full class story, not getting missions in lower level planets, etc, would you still chose one of the "old" classes, or one of the new ones?

Trying to be realistic, to give us a new class with full class story at this moment, would be too much of an investment, unless they been working of that for very long time, but no one believes that, so, the instant lvl60 option does seem the only viable option to get a new class in-game.

It will still require some work and investment from the company, designing new gear and weapons, new voice actors, new companions (even if without back story, but the classes still need companions to fight with, and to work the crew skills), and for this it would still cost cartel coins to unlock it, but would you take this opportunity?

Lets face it, we all played more then enough missions, to have a good idea of what a Imperial Trooper and SiS Agent story would be like, we wouldnt get anything brand new even with 3 full chapters, so if you dont mind a instant lvl60 of an "old" class, why not a brand new class instead?

And if this works (enough cartel market sales), maybe one day we can get a Imperial Smuggler and Republic BH, that would be new personajes, and not a faction change. For example, the BH in-game is the champion of the great hunt, and for Rep BH, it would be another BH, someone that for some reason decided to leave the Mandalorian clan and start getting jobs in the Republic. Same goes for the Smuggler.

If we make the path easier, we might actualy get something out of it.

This game, and expansion, is all about player choices so I doubt this will happen. We are more likely to get a 3rd spec for each class than a new one, from scratch. What decisions would be made for the new class? What companions would we see again if we had none? It would kill the purpose of this game for many of us.

My problem with hypothetical new classes is why would Lana Beniko, a pragmatic person, risk so much (we've already seen in the stream how she takes us out from that carbonite facility and how it's not an easy feat) to save an unknown Imperial Trooper/SIS Agent in hope he would be a major asset in fighting Zakuul. It's too much of a gamble for her and it just doesn't add up.

Now if it's a person she has already worked with and she knows she can rely on that all makes sense. "I deemed you a worthy ally once. I hope I wasn't wrong."

If the story in KotFE were to be legit for new classes they would need a totally separate starting story which all comes down to M O N E Y.

This game, and expansion, is all about player choices so I doubt this will happen. We are more likely to get a 3rd spec for each class than a new one, from scratch. What decisions would be made for the new class? What companions would we see again if we had none? It would kill the purpose of this game for many of us.

You are going to be really, really disappointed with the new expansion, methinks.

The expansion is all about streamlining new content creation by only having one story and a handful of companions.

So, what if, when deciding what class you want to get instant to lvl60, you would be presented with 2 aditional options, the Imperial Trooper and the SiS Agent?

And if this would be the only way to play those new classes, with no full class story, not getting missions in lower level planets, etc, would you still chose one of the "old" classes, or one of the new ones?

Trying to be realistic, to give us a new class with full class story at this moment, would be too much of an investment, unless they been working of that for very long time, but no one believes that, so, the instant lvl60 option does seem the only viable option to get a new class in-game.

It will still require some work and investment from the company, designing new gear and weapons, new voice actors, new companions (even if without back story, but the classes still need companions to fight with, and to work the crew skills), and for this it would still cost cartel coins to unlock it, but would you take this opportunity?

Lets face it, we all played more then enough missions, to have a good idea of what a Imperial Trooper and SiS Agent story would be like, we wouldnt get anything brand new even with 3 full chapters, so if you dont mind a instant lvl60 of an "old" class, why not a brand new class instead?

And if this works (enough cartel market sales), maybe one day we can get a Imperial Smuggler and Republic BH, that would be new personajes, and not a faction change. For example, the BH in-game is the champion of the great hunt, and for Rep BH, it would be another BH, someone that for some reason decided to leave the Mandalorian clan and start getting jobs in the Republic. Same goes for the Smuggler.

If we make the path easier, we might actually get something out of it.

ive always thought BH's / troopers. smugglers. and agents should be neutral at first and u choose a faction... heck sith warrior/jediknight and Consular and inquisitors.

If u wanto be a jedi knight u pick the force sensitive warrior and then choose your path. to become sith warrior or jedi knight as well...

so in all... tython and korriban wouldnt be the starting planets. u should start out on a neutral force sensitve jedi type planet , but in this game imperials that are born force sensitive become sith. they dont have a choice to be a jedi. but if it was in the future . canon time. its almost like everyone that is force sensitive starts out training as a jedi and either falls to the dark side or stays Light....

in all the Dark and light side raiting would be an awesome faction changing bar as well

say u wanto be rebel./republic .. u goto do missions or kill certain npcs. to gain lightside points and goto be a little positive light side to be republic. and if u wanto change to imp u do the same but for darkside points.

THERS all kinds of sweet stuff they could do for this game. specially with this subject

That is not as easy as you may think. That would mean they had to create 4 (x2) new adv, while getting Imp Trooper and SiS Agent dont need anything new combat wise.

My problem with hypothetical new classes is why would Lana Beniko, a pragmatic person, risk so much (we've already seen in the stream how she takes us out from that carbonite facility and how it's not an easy feat) to save an unknown Imperial Trooper/SIS Agent in hope he would be a major asset in fighting Zakuul. It's too much of a gamble for her and it just doesn't add up.

Now if it's a person she has already worked with and she knows she can rely on that all makes sense. "I deemed you a worthy ally once. I hope I wasn't wrong."

If the story in KotFE were to be legit for new classes they would need a totally separate starting story which all comes down to M O N E Y.

Yes, this is correct, new class at lvl60 would need the entire SoR story.

But i used the instant lvl60 chars just as example. We dont know how the KotFE story will end, but maybe they could work it in a way that will allow the new classes to be in-game at lvl65, once KotFE story ends.

There is no place for new class in this game. All we have it's ok. How new class should look? 1 tank, 1 dps, 1 heal discipline? No it can't be done. Not know, mayby after kotfe. But remember, this game is story based so new classes should have own story.

New classes really aren't doable with this game unfortunately, its just too involved since they would require their own 1-50 story. New advanced classes, on the other hand, are very doable, and there's room for plenty of ideas. My suggestions would be:

Jedi Knight / Sith Warrior: Double Bladed Lightsaber

Consular / Inquisitor: Dual Wield, with Lightsaber in main hand and Blaster in off hand (would be a very unique experience)

Smuggler / Agent: Unarmed or Teras Kasi

Trooper / Bounty Hunter: Something that can use a Blaster Rifle at range, melee abilities limited to situational uses only and NOT as an integral part of DPS. I will never understand why such an iconic weapon class has been relegated to melee only ...

Edited by EvilMark

New classes really aren't doable with this game unfortunately, its just too involved since they would require their own 1-50 story. New advanced classes, on the other hand, are very doable, and there's room for plenty of ideas. My suggestions would be:

Jedi Knight / Sith Warrior: Double Bladed Lightsaber

Consular / Inquisitor: Dual Wield, with Lightsaber in main hand and Blaster in off hand (would be a very unique experience)

Smuggler / Agent: Unarmed or Teras Kasi

Trooper / Bounty Hunter: Something that can use a Blaster Rifle at range, -NO- melee abilities

It's doable. It may not be considered cost effective, but it's doable.

Make the new classes that have epic storylines of their own that take place while the other one's intermingle a bit more with everything and tie in someway to the order of things.

A Trooper or BH with no close combat is a dead Trooper/BH.....

Meant no Melee only abilities in its rotation, lol I should have been more specific, regular abilities would still be usable at close range, and situational melee abilities would be fine. Basically, they would be a full blown ranged DPS class that uses a blaster rifle.

You are going to be really, really disappointed with the new expansion, methinks.

The expansion is all about streamlining new content creation by only having one story and a handful of companions.

Well said.

Bioware is spinning it as "more story focused" in such a way as to get players exited.

What's really going on is that they're narrowing down everything as much as possible so that it's streamlined, cheaper, and faster to throw more stuff at players.

Plus, it frees up more staff to work on CM items.

Well said.

Bioware is spinning it as "more story focused" in such a way as to get players exited.

What's really going on is that they're narrowing down everything as much as possible so that it's streamlined, cheaper, and faster to throw more stuff at players.

Well, it's not exactly different than it was before. All the class stories lead to the same point, with any choices you did make, not really changing anything.

Well said.

Not seeing a downside to that.

Well, it's not exactly different than it was before. All the class stories lead to the same point, with any choices you did make, not really changing anything.

What is normal, i think, in an mmo, where rules are not the same as single player games.

So, my question to anyone who read this remains: imagine that after KotFE, at lvl65, we get the option to create a instant lvl65 char, and could chose a Imp Trooper or SiS Agent, with no class story 1-50, and with own companions that woulnd also have any story outside the ship, would you take this opportunity?

My selfe, i would, better get a new class this way, then not getting it at all.

Meant no Melee only abilities in its rotation, lol I should have been more specific, regular abilities would still be usable at close range, and situational melee abilities would be fine. Basically, they would be a full blown ranged DPS class that uses a blaster rifle.

Theres a class like that in the game, its called mercenary / commando

neither uses melee abilities in their rotation. (which basically comes down to stock strike / rocket punch)

What is normal, i think, in an mmo, where rules are not the same as single player games.

So, my question to anyone who read this remains: imagine that after KotFE, at lvl65, we get the option to create a instant lvl65 char, and could chose a Imp Trooper or SiS Agent, with no class story 1-50, and with own companions that woulnd also have any story outside the ship, would you take this opportunity?

My selfe, i would, better get a new class this way, then not getting it at all.

At that point it's not about story, since you don't get one, it's about a class name and possibly class mechanics.

You wouldn't have new companions outside of the ones everyone else can already get. It's not about story, since you as stated, you wouldn't have one. So basically, it's just an RP thing about calling yourself a SIS Agent or an Imperial Trooper.

Would they have all new advance classes or would they just be the same as the Agent/Trooper class we have now, but on the opposite faction?

I giggle like a little girl every time I get even a minor dialogue change to fit my class so I'm going to enjoy myself pretty much, methinks :p;)

Theres a class like that in the game, its called mercenary / commando

neither uses melee abilities in their rotation. (which basically comes down to stock strike / rocket punch)

The point was that there is no class or spec like that which can achieve optimal performance while using not two pistols, not a wile-e-coyote canon, but a Blaster Rifle. This has been requested more than most (but not all) new class ideas, and as such would be a natural addition should they ever decide to add new advanced classes.

Edited by EvilMark

The point was that there is no class or spec like that which can achieve optimal performance while using not two pistols, not a wile-e-coyote canon, but a Blaster Rifle. This has been requested more than most other new class ideas, and as such would be a natural addition should they ever decide to add new advanced classes.

Really? I thought the most requested was Shadow's who used single bladed light sabers and Troopers/Agents who used a blaster pistol.