Ebon Hawk Lagging Badly.

Max_Killjoy

On Ebon Hawk, playing on Belsavis.

Companion command responses and basic following of PC are delayed by up to 10-12 seconds, you can see them running to where you WERE standing, then waiting there, then running to where you are now. Attacks by companion are delayed as well.

Hostile mobs are yo-yoing at the start of combat.

Some stuttering in the cooldown of powers, so that you often have to wait an extra moment before firing them off.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Still lagging, well it got worse actually...

Companions not joining combat before at least 10-15 seconds, there's a +2 seconds delay to actions, and if they do work, I was unable to see enemies even though they were just in front of me. And now my comp would just run accross the room like a yo-yo and pull aggro somehow <.> . Then I was constantly red-barring, but I switched to another planet and it was ok there.

Basically Belsavis is really unplayable rn.

EH isn't laggy, you are. It never ceases to amaze me how people never seem to think lag is on their end, even though 99% the time it is. Most "lag" is caused by your system bottlenecking (usually the CPU/GPU) while trying to run a game, and what's happening is the client itself on your computer isn't responding properly, gving the appearance of lag. True lag is an attenuated internet connection, and while sometimes that can be on the game server's end, for online games it's usually a "problem exists between the end user and their ISP," rather than anything on a major IT company's end. You silly Americans with your laws allowing Rogers/Comcast internet throttling!

Now, that's not to say the problem can't technically on Bioware's end; that is, something they did is causing TOR to bottleneck itself on your system (particularly on Belsavis). Anyone remember the blue fire from late WOTLK-era WoW? Despite being seemingly innocuous - it's just fire retextured blue, right? and regular colored fire is fine - it ate system resources so much that not only did it cause anyone running anything but a monster system to completely lock up, but once Blizzard got enough data out of ICC to pinpoint the problem, they brought down the servers for emergency maintenance.

EH isn't laggy, you are. It never ceases to amaze me how people never seem to think lag is on their end, even though 99% the time it is. Most "lag" is caused by your system bottlenecking (usually the CPU/GPU) while trying to run a game, and what's happening is the client itself on your computer isn't responding properly, gving the appearance of lag. True lag is an attenuated internet connection, and while sometimes that can be on the game server's end, for online games it's usually a "problem exists between the end user and their ISP," rather than anything on a major IT company's end. You silly Americans with your laws allowing Rogers/Comcast internet throttling!

Now, that's not to say the problem can't technically on Bioware's end; that is, something they did is causing TOR to bottleneck itself on your system (particularly on Belsavis). Anyone remember the blue fire from late WOTLK-era WoW? Despite being seemingly innocuous - it's just fire retextured blue, right? and regular colored fire is fine - it ate system resources so much that not only did it cause anyone running anything but a monster system to completely lock up, but once Blizzard got enough data out of ICC to pinpoint the problem, they brought down the servers for emergency maintenance.

That's nice -- never mind that about a dozen people on Belsavis on EH at the time reported the same thing in chat, and that someone has already replied to this thread reporting the same issue.

Everyone on that server and on that planet did not simultaneously develop an issue with their PCs or internet connections, leading to all of them experiencing the phenomena described.

The common factor is not the players, their PCs, or their ISPs. The common factor is somewhere on the other end.

To say otherwise is to adapt the old and tired company line of "all issues exist at the user's end, even if they can prove otherwise" that game publishers have always hidden behind. What makes me chuckle is that there's always some player on a game's forums eager to jump in and parrot the company line from rote whenever something like this comes up.

Oddly enough, it's still happening on Belsavis, and only on Belsavis. Last night, it wasn't happening. Today, it is. No patches, no changes, nothing that would affect the PCs or ISPs of random players around the country at the same time, and yet it just started happening. Huh, I wonder what's more likely -- that there's something going on at Bioware's end that's causing this, or a random bug hitting the entire world that appears to only affect this planet, on this server, on this one game. Huh.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Belsavis is still a yo-yo convention.

Sent this bug report in-game:

Belsavis, on Ebon Hawk. Major response delay / lag. Multiple other players report this same problem. Appears to only be occuring on Belsavis. Started on Saturday the 22nd, still occuring at this point.

Companion command responses and basic following of PC are delayed by up to 10-12 seconds, you can see them running to where you WERE standing, then waiting there, then running to where you are now. Eventually, if you keep moving around, Companion will eventually "teleport" to where you're standing, then stop at that spot for a while before moving again.

Attacks by companion are delayed as well.

Hostile mobs are yo-yoing at the start of combat.

Some stuttering in the cooldown of powers, so that you often have to wait an extra moment before firing them off. Sometimes multiple attempts are needed to cause a power to activate/fire.

Edited by Max_Killjoy

Problem still exists.

If you happen to log in when there is no second instance, you might as well forget doing anything on Belsavis.

Good to see Bioware wasting all this time and effort on unneeded changes to basic aspects of the game, while they can't even be bothered to keep the existing content working at all, or address bugs and glitches that have been around for months or even years.

Edited by Max_Killjoy