WAY Too many Rakata Supertech

Slowpokeking

Now KotFE is related to them as well, meh. I mean they are a cool race with super tech but it's a bit boring to see their ancient technology being used as a plot device over and over again. I really wish to see more about the Voss, the Esh-Kha and the Gree rather than more Rakata. Edited by Slowpokeking

Just wait until Revenant, some of that stuff is pretty crazy. It might as well take place in a different universe from the movies and TV shows.

Do not believe this Gran. He has nothing to back up his "predictions."

Anyway, to the OP: could you be a little more specific? I didn't think this game was going the direction of too much Rakata technology at all. This is an interesting time period, you must understand. KotOR took place 300 years ago, which is when the existence of the Rakata's Empire was re-discovered by the Republic, and as far as I know, only Vitiate himself knew of the Star Forge (which he then tasked his new pawns Revan and Malak to find). So in this time period, the Republic and Empire are just now getting used to the fact that they weren't always the top dog in the galaxy, so they're eager to accept any precursor technology.

Plus... Like I said: The Emperor somehow knew of the Star Forge. I wonder if this will have anything to do with the Rakata tech in his Eternal Empire... Hmm!

Now KotFE is related to them as well, meh. I mean they are a cool race with super tech but it's a bit boring to see their ancient technology being used as a plot device over and over again. I really wish to see more about the Voss, the Esh-Kha and the Gree rather than more Rakata.

I definitely agree. I wouldnt mind some contemporary tech created by some mad genius or old Sith stuff.

Yeah, the Rakata tech is a catch-all to fix any problem. It's bad writing.

Sith Inquisitor has health problems -- Rakata tech! Revan doesn't die -- Rakata tech! Vitiate is a god -- Rakata tech! And let's not forget -- we want to bring somebody back to life who died -- Rakata tech!

SW is a space fantasy with a mediocre to decentish writing quality overall. Deus-ex machinas (not sure if this is an appropriate term here, but you get the idea) like ancient alien tech (Rakata, Celestials etc.) are quite common in that genre.

That being said, they used be a really big deal in the past. Nothing surprising here.

Edited by BenitsubasaChiyo

You do have to keep in mind that Rakata technology of varying degrees of power and usefulness is going to be literally everywhere. Unlike the Republic (even in the movie-era), the Rakata actually controlled the entire galaxy. With an iron fist.

Their civilization was destroyed in a very, very short time period - a century or two at most - as the Force-severing plague swept through the Rakata. Cutting them off from the Force stopped the Rakata from being able to do anything at all because their entire civilization was a hybrid of technology and Force-powers (the great Forges, for instance, are powered by being inextricably linked to the Dark Side).

Considering the rapidity with which the Rakata's Infinite Empire collapsed, you should be more surprised if their material culture wasn't constantly being run into, and given that we know it can easily and rapidly self-repair, most of it should still be functional.

Edited by Diviciacus

People have a fascination with earlier great empires.

Just look at the Romans and their Greek obsession, or the medieval Europeans and their obsession with classical Rome.

Due to technological advancement in the real world, these things are largely cultural, but in a galaxy with a relative technological plateau, where old tech often is even greater than modern, it isn't hard to believe such things would be HIGHLY desirable.

Just look at the Romans and their Greek obsession, or the medieval Europeans and their obsession with classical Rome.

Due to technological advancement in the real world, these things are largely cultural, but in a galaxy with a relative technological plateau, where old tech often is even greater than modern, it isn't hard to believe such things would be HIGHLY desirable.

Cultures often have a nostalgia effect: they see the systemic corruption in their own culture, and look at what came before as a Golden Age - a paragon of erudition and morality and culture.

This often translates in Sci-Fi/Fantasy settings into a literal Golden Age.

-The Rakata could build entire fleets and armies out of literally nothing with the Star Forge and Foundry (and gods only know what the Zakuul are capable of if Valkorion controls the third Great Forge).

-The Iconians in Star Trek had teleportation technology that runs on virtually no power, has infinite effective distance, and no travel time.

-The Elves in Lord of the Rings were capable of forging magic-infused artifacts that thousands of years later, Men can't even fathom, let alone control.

-In Forgotten Realms, the Netheril Empire had magic capable of stably levitating entire cities - their entire civilization was literally among the clouds.

And another thing that's common to all four of those? Their arrogance was their undoing. The civilizations of old were perfectly fine until - like the civilizations of now - they grew arrogant. They cast themselves down into ruin through their hubris, leaving modern civilization with the dregs and not the nectar.

Edited by Diviciacus

You do have to keep in mind that Rakata technology of varying degrees of power and usefulness is going to be literally everywhere. Unlike the Republic (even in the movie-era), the Rakata actually controlled the entire galaxy. With an iron fist.

Their civilization was destroyed in a very, very short time period - a century or two at most - as the Force-severing plague swept through the Rakata. Cutting them off from the Force stopped the Rakata from being able to do anything at all because their entire civilization was a hybrid of technology and Force-powers (the great Forges, for instance, are powered by being inextricably linked to the Dark Side).

Considering the rapidity with which the Rakata's Infinite Empire collapsed, you should be more surprised if their material culture wasn't constantly being run into, and given that we know it can easily and rapidly self-repair, most of it should still be functional.

The Rakata controlled around 500 planets(or system?) which is a lot smaller than the Republic, it was the only major power because many civilization hadn't existed at that time yet.

But it's enough already. We have other civilizations to expand.

Yeah, the Rakata tech is a catch-all to fix any problem. It's bad writing.

Sith Inquisitor has health problems -- Rakata tech! Revan doesn't die -- Rakata tech! Vitiate is a god -- Rakata tech! And let's not forget -- we want to bring somebody back to life who died -- Rakata tech!

I'm pretty sure Revan still living had little to do with Rakata tech. Vitiate's power is from a ritual, nothing to do with the Rakata tech. And who was brought back to life?

Also, I'm pretty sure Vitiate did't know anything about the Starforge until it became public information after Malak's defeat

Also, I'm pretty sure Vitiate did't know anything about the Starforge until it became public information after Malak's defeat

They were send to find the map to the starforge by vitiate. see master gnost dural's video about the jedi civil war, here is part of the the transcript:

THE EMPEROR SENT THEM BACK TO THE REPUBLIC TO MAKE PREPARATIONS FOR A FULL-SCALE SITH INVASION.

THEIR MISSION WAS TO RECOVER THE MAPS LEADING TO THE ANCIENT STAR FORGE, CONSTRUCTED BY THE RAKATA MORE THAN TWENTY-FIVE CENTURIES AGO.

WITH THE STAR FORGE, THE EMPEROR PLANNED TO ACCELERATE THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE NEW SITH ARMADA. HE WOULD EXACT HIS VENGEANCE AGAINST THE JEDI AND THE REPUBLIC CENTURIES AHEAD OF SCHEDULE.

Edited by hanebuch

there is a qanda with one of the devs that basically says there is.

He doesn't confirm it's Rakata tech. He just says the Zakuul have some really fancy toys. There's a slight implication that their using pilfered Rakata stuff, but that could just be to misdirect us.

I don't understand why our characters should be impressed by the tech of a dead race.

The Rakata were a failure. Our response to Rakata tech should be "We don't need that trash" and then destroy it.

You wouldn't happen to be a member of ISIS, would you? They're big on destroying history.

The Rakata failed because their species had an almost 100% incidence rate of Force-sensitivity. Because of this, they thought nothing of building their technology to be inextricably linked to the Force. When the plague swept through their civilization, cutting them off from the Force, it cut them off from their technology as well. Thus reducing them to the simple tribal society we come across on Lehon in the Rakata Prime FP.

But their technology, for those who could use it, is almost incomprehensibly powerful. The Star Forge was capable of zero-point energy production to literally endlessly produce starships with no input of resources. You fired it up, and fleets popped out. It's the shipyard equivalent of a coffee maker that makes coffee without having to put in ground beans or water first. Post-redemption Revan had to destroy it because as a Sith he had used its power to attack the Republic. He knew what it was capable of, and he knew that whoever controlled it would essentially conquer the galaxy. It HAD to be destroyed.

A shard of the Star Forge no bigger than a finger built a sanctuary for the Ongree Revan settled on Nar Shaddaa, without being connected to Nar Shadda's power grid. Do not doubt the power of Rakata technology; it far outstrips both the Republic and the Empire.

Edited by Diviciacus

I like the "ancient great empires" trope in fantasy or sci fantasy, but like all good things it can get old really fast if it's overused.

If anyone is ISIS its the Jedi.

Rakat tech is trash. Everybody who uses it that our characters meet end up defeated. Useless tech from a useless race.

Maybe because its in the script for us to defeat them lol? Nothing to do with Rakata tech.

I'm thankful for Rakata Supertech, I have a variety of Rakatan adapted Cybernetics (I have a specific one designed to increase willpower to resist those pesky jedi mind tricks) and Rakatan tech laced throughout my various powertech armors, not to mention this one little one I have enables me to some very fancy things with my fire attacks. :rak_03: Edited by -Sullster-

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.