Heat costs too much maybe?

Anelyn

Howdy guys, am a bit disapointed with my Merc alt. The heat cost system for most abilities - at least early on before 20+, seems very punishing. I find myself capping on heat on boss fights in flashpoints before half way through the fight despite I do use normal attack and vent heat.... Also disapointed that most blaster special attacks - power shot, unload, rail shot can be dodged so easily wasting ****loads of heat..... There is no accuracy gear at that level and no way to get 10% of it to cap out, but literally missing a railshot and power shot in a row vs a boss is a huge waste of heat for no dmg dealt, after which you pew pew with normal attack to get back in comfort zone for heat....

I like the gameplay and mechanics of class, but the heat cost seems a bit too high (I have not played a trooper, but operative which is energy based, and never got into similar problems as a merc).

Is this changing considerably later on? As from what I read through forums, you have to spam 3 tracer missiles to get the debuff, then use rail shot and the heat seeking missiles which is like at least 50 heat? then you just auto shoot until empty all heat in order to do this again?

I do not agree with your assessment of heat. I'm a level 24 BH/Merc/BG and I've had no problems with heat during regular missions or flashpoints. Being completely honest here I believe you need to manage your heat better. You can't chain cast all your big hitting abilities. My suggestion would be to try using two rapid shots in between abilities. This should help keep your heat costs down. It appears as though you are using too many instant abilities too fast and too soon.

When I'm attacking a single target I usually open with explosive shot and then follow up with a rail shot and then rapid shot until my heat is at or near 15. Then I cast a long ability such as unload or power shot. Rapid shot, explosive shot, rail shot, rapid shot, and then throw in a rocket.

The key element is weaving rapid shots into your rotation. Once you learn to manage your heat better you can literally DPS all day long. I rarely go over 40-50 heat and if I do I usually just vent heat and rapid shot.

Remember that a BH isn't about how much/fast you can output damage. It's how well you manage your heat. Believe it or not rapid shots are consistent heat-free damage. I'm constantly spamming it at all times.

I hope this helps you out. Good luck and safe journey!

I think the heat cost is fine - for the most part depending on spec controlling your heat is part of the game balance.

You also get a skill later on called Thermal Sensor Override. Level 42. Your next attack costs no heat. Attacks like Fusion missile that have high heat cost basically cost no heat when you use this skill before. Has a 2 min cool down though. With terminal velocity skill, you have the possibility to vent heat on crits. So stacking crit chance is a good idea so the more you crit the higher possibility of venting heat.

I think it is balanced pretty well (I am level 43). I usually max out on Elite mobs or when I am in heavy PvP battle but that is to be expected.

Well when dealing with normal mobs is all fine, but if am doing a heroic 2 man with a friend and neither of us are a tank or a healer, we need things to die fast since we have no CC at that level. If I only use 1-2 heat skills then 5-6 rapid shots to reset heat, one of us will die before 1st elite is dead - think the mandalorian hero 2, Personal Challenge. Mako heals are fine when only 1 elite is attacking, 2 is pushing her hard and not keeping up.

That's why I am asking, as low levels for merc arsenal seem painfull. Also the fact that your Power shot and rail shot can totally be deflected is very bad, as you just wasted a good portion of heat for no result.

Speaking of which, do we get any dot type effect anytime soon, so that we can railshot without the need of incapacitate / stun? (I know mako has one, but I don't like being reliable on my companion to use a dps skill).

No rail shot requires stun/incapp. Once you get tracer missle if it places heat signature on enemy I believe you can then use Rail Shot right after so it is really not a problem.

I am not sure why you are having trouble. I died from time to time but really I solo'ed most of the game and had few problems. Even at level 43 I can not take 2 elite mobs at the same time and expect Mako to heal - just have to CC one and then deal with the other.

Do you have a specific sequence of attacks you are using?

Once you get Tracer Missile, you will find yourself doing much larger damage and able to use Rail Shot since it adds heat signatures. Also since tracer missile is tech damage, you will never miss with it since our accuracy is 100%. You will also get concussion missile which is a 60 sec stun that heals the enemy over time. You can hit one elite with it at the start, focus on the second, heal, and then fight the first one. With that trick, you'll be able to solo two elites. Edited by bobafetea

Heat gets much better later on. At higher levels there are many talents that vent heat just from criting. Also if you're going into the pyrotech tree, you can reduce vent heats cool down to 1.5 min. You should never be allowing your bounty hunter to reach more than half heat, even at half heat you're going to need to use 2-3 rapid shots to recover. I also am unaware of what spec you're playing, but arsenal tends to be less heat intensive than pyrotech.

Hope this helps!

I do think our heat builds up a little too quickly when we need to go out compared to say a sith sorcerer. But our sustainability is greater.

A few suggestions I would like to make would be just a little tweaking:

1. Abilities just got a few less heat even before/after talents. I would say mostly with the casting time ones like tracer. Maybe 3 heat less.

2. Have heat go down a little faster still keeping the over heating decay to regen. I would say 2 to 3 heat more.

3. Have rapid shots remove more heat.

4. Have rapid shots do more dmg so that we don't lose so much dps there (not really as balance an option IMO)

5. Have not doing any actions (except moving) vent increased amounts of heat (to help with PVP).

Heat is rough at the beginning but gets better as arsenal. I tried pyro for about 5 minutes and it wasn't for me, so I may be to get more practice with it to make an assessment here.

Even as arsenal, I was able to successfully heal up to Athiss with no heat problems. But I have not tried anything higher than that specced dps.

I guess I never really have an issue with it. I always viewed it like the rogue energy mechanic. Instead of waiting for energy to build up, you wait for heat to dissipate. Maybe playing the rogue as a main helped, but the only time I run into heat issues is if I misjudge and unload to early and the mob doesn't die, but I am still lower in level and this is easily remedied by the 2min CD.

One thing that may not be clear about heat is that the more of it you have, the slower it dissipates.

You ideally want to keep your heat under 30.

Another thing is that spec and opening up abilities plays a huge role for heat control.

This makes it excessively hard to dps at the low levels but makes it very easy once level 25 or so is reached.

Many channeled and cast abilities will dissipate more heat over their cast than they generate. Until learning these abilities, the bounty hunter only has access to instant heat hogs

I say all this just to say, "stick with it, it gets better." and, "there is no need to change the heat system or change the base values of any of the skills."