Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Unlock weapon types

Tenacity

I think it's about time we expand our weapon options, possibly through a cartel market unlock. I'd like to be able to use blaster rifles on my bounty hunter, or a saberstaff on my sith warrior, or blaster pistols on my imperial agent.

While I love the idea and would love to see this... it would take a massive amount of dev time to do. Even the cheap way of taking all the double saber animations and just transferring them to a new class so they could use a techstaff (or whatever) would be a *huge* project.

And huge projects that won't pay dividends in the end, sadly will not happen.

While I love the idea and would love to see this... it would take a massive amount of dev time to do. Even the cheap way of taking all the double saber animations and just transferring them to a new class so they could use a techstaff (or whatever) would be a *huge* project.

And huge projects that won't pay dividends in the end, sadly will not happen.

not just the animations, ability damage is based on specific weapon being utilized. Sentinel damage based on two weapons and offhand reduced damage, Guardian based on single saber with a focus.

same with BH and troopers or snipers/gunslingers.Same abilities, but different damage calculations based on dual/single weapon or saber staff/single/dual sabers.

animations are only part of the issue.

I think it's about time we expand our weapon options, possibly through a cartel market unlock. I'd like to be able to use blaster rifles on my bounty hunter, or a saberstaff on my sith warrior, or blaster pistols on my imperial agent.

I like the idea, and if the changes were purely cosmetic it could work. It may be ridiculously difficult to implement, and game balance issues may be caused by such changes. For this to work the stats for saberstaff and lightsaber would have to be identical based on the rating of the weapon.

Trickier would be to allow a Jedi Guardian to drop his shield gen and pick up another lightsaber. I would never have made a Jedi Sentinel if I could do that, as the Sentinel loses both heavy armor and the shield generator to do a relatively tiny bit more damage.

I like the idea, and if the changes were purely cosmetic it could work. It may be ridiculously difficult to implement, and game balance issues may be caused by such changes. For this to work the stats for saberstaff and lightsaber would have to be identical based on the rating of the weapon.

Trickier would be to allow a Jedi Guardian to drop his shield gen and pick up another lightsaber. I would never have made a Jedi Sentinel if I could do that, as the Sentinel loses both heavy armor and the shield generator to do a relatively tiny bit more damage.

blame the devs for nerfing sents a few times over...we're still relatively competitive, just not as much as it used to be.

reason for the heavy armor is that at early beta sents were actually better tanks than guardians, as they could mitigate MORE damage and hold threat better and had the huge self heals. so they nerfed self heals, gave us medium armor and beat us with a nerf bat a few times.

Make all weapons do the same damage, make up for loss in dps for snipers commandos etc in extra ability damage.

so then how do you account for damage when there are say two weapons equipped? same ability used by both ACs yet one has two weapons the other 1?

and what about gunslingers they use two weapons, as do mercs.

I can see a mercenary being able to use blaster rifles just fine, and their counterpart the commando already uses blaster rifles / assault cannons. Can you really see a gunslinger using anything but two pistols though?

I can see a mercenary being able to use blaster rifles just fine, and their counterpart the commando already uses blaster rifles / assault cannons. Can you really see a gunslinger using anything but two pistols though?

and we start the circle over again....point of the response you quoted was that you can't make exceptions for just one class. there are 3 classes that use dual weapons. damage is tied to ability AND weapon since classes with two weapons have/need different damage calculations for each ability.

thus mercs with a blasterrifle would have drastically different damage calculations than those that used blasters since the damage calculation is done based on two weapons being used (which is also why off hand weapons have lower damage and less accuracy, to blance out the extra damage a second weapon does).

you can't simply say I want to use any random weapon on random class, it just isn't going to happen. everything is tied together, right now what makes AC's unique are the weapons and their animations.

none of those are ever going to change. why do you think they give classes like agents and troopers blaster pistols? because during cut scenes you can be either a commando with an assault cannon or a vanguard with a blaster rifle(sniper/operative same issue). thus EACH cut scene would need to be done twice to account for the different different weapons. instead you do it once, and give them a blaster and listen to people complain about not having their own weapon. its a cost/benefit.

regardless of how much people want it, i just dont' see it ever changing, too much is tied into the weapon choice to untangle it all. and the benefit is meaningless to only a few (mainly BH who soooo want to have blaster rifles).

If we went back and made boba fett have a blaster pistol like jango we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Not necessarily. While chances are slim, I still have hope that we see some restrictions lifted one day.

You can hope all you want.

The only weapon restrictions that make sense are "can you use a lightsaber or not," But, again, we are stuck with the restrictions. Animations and more importantly skills are tied to certain weapons being equipped. They're not gonna go in and redo all of that.

Edited by branmakmuffin

Animations are tied to character classes right now. If they were tied to weapons there would be no problem. As for two weapon wielders the Operative has many story hooks that show her pulling out a blaster, but that's not a weapon she uses or carries. You could choose to use two blasters effectively, but not two rifles of any kind. In doing so you sacrifice focus, shield, or generator, so you become more squishy to gain a slightly higher dps.

if the animations are built into the game, and tied to the class they are for based on the weapons they are allowed then it may be possible to instead attach them to what ever weapon is in their main hand. If the animations are attached to the character in a more complicated fashion then it will be difficult to make it happen.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.