The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

tank killer gear

SgtGrumbles

So i have my first set of DR min maxed to be very bursty, now i'm thinking i should build another set to be exclusively a tank killer set. What exactly should i be looking at stats wise? go all acc augments/enhancements? At what point does acc start seeing diminishing returns? I'm a tactics vanguard btw.

i thought that was the point of accuracy stat though, to counter a tanks defenses. so i couldn't build a set of acc heavy gear, that would perform better than my current power/surge stack versus tanks? it would be nice to have some sort of counter versus sorc/tank combos in arenas.

Well for 1, the only move you've got that can miss is High Impact Bolt, so accuracy is mostly pointless. Add to that the fact that PvP tanks are typically High Endurance + Shield/Absorb gear, the decision to go more accuracy isn't gonna help at all.

The real killer though is ~90+% of your damage is Kinetic/Energy damage, which is affected by all other mitigation. You could try stacking crit to negate some of the shield chance, but that's stupid.

Overall, if you want a specific set up for killing tanks, dont roll Tactics. Its like trying to heal on a Ruffian Scoundrel. Sure, you can do it. But that doesn't mean you should.

AOE is always an effective " tank killing " strat as long as you can catch the tank and the guy he's guarding in it. It's what plasmatech is nice for...dots on the tank and healer ( assuming that's where the guard is on ) , and then as much AOE as you can pump out. You won't kill them by yourself obviously, but you'll put a good dent in the tank's health pool. I wouldn't place a high priority on killing tanks unless it's a situational thing however. Edited by Arehonn

The real killer though is ~90+% of your damage is Kinetic/Energy damage, which is affected by all other mitigation. You could try stacking crit to negate some of the shield chance, but that's stupid.

Wut, You would have to get like 75% crit chance to have a meaningful effect on the tank's shields. 75% crit chance isn't stupid, it's impossible.

wtb 1.7 crit returns.

Edited by Zoom_VI

AOE is always an effective " tank killing " strat as long as you can catch the tank and the guy he's guarding in it. It's what plasmatech is nice for...dots on the tank and healer ( assuming that's where the guard is on ) , and then as much AOE as you can pump out. You won't kill them by yourself obviously, but you'll put a good dent in the tank's health pool. I wouldn't place a high priority on killing tanks unless it's a situational thing however.

huh, well i guess that's food for thought. About the only thing i can do to help break a sorc/tank combo is to keep harpooning the tank or healer away from each other. This happened yesterday in an arena. it was a very long, arduous process, and i killed the tank and we just about killed the healer too and then it went to sudden death and we lost. >.>

Wut, You would have to get like 75% crit chance to have a meaningful effect on the tank's shields. 75% crit chance isn't stupid, it's impossible.

wtb 1.7 crit returns.

maybe it will be when they merge surg and crit in 4.0. :D

Edited by SgtGrumbles

wtb 1.7 crit returns.

Eh, it depends what your up against. If your up against a Sin/Shadow tank (for example), you'd probably only need ~60% crit chance, which means ~35% (because explosive fuel/Battle Focus).

Still, 35% crit chance requires you to ditch about half of your power, which means you lose about 20% of your actual damage with the hope of bypassing some shield chance. Dont do it.

Eh, it depends what your up against. If your up against a Sin/Shadow tank (for example), you'd probably only need ~60% crit chance, which means ~35% (because explosive fuel/Battle Focus).

Still, 35% crit chance requires you to ditch about half of your power, which means you lose about 20% of your actual damage with the hope of bypassing some shield chance. Dont do it.

It's not a tank killer build if it only works during battlefocus. Also stacking the crit is only worthwhile if you can get so much crit as too heavily diminish their shield chance, which just isn't going to happen. Besides, diminishing their shield chance doesn't mean you are doing more damage too them.

EDIT: wait nevermind that's basically what you just said. derp.

Tactics just simply can't tank tunnel. Period.

Edited by Zoom_VI